• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Spoiler Metal Gear Solid V (TPS) Spoiler Thread (Contains Spoilers, Thanos).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Everyone talks shit about Code Talker, but the guy did great.

It's not his fault that for the most part he was stuck with:

"Wolbachia, parasites, symbiosis, copulate, parasites,female,male, copulate, wolbachia, Jurassic park."

He is voiced by Jay Tavare.

KYYfrEz.jpg

In college he majored in "How to look ridiculously good looking."

dmshaposv

CodeTalker's VO is good. His delivery in the hamburger tapes is surprisingly funny in a dead-pan sort of way.

Shame the actual CONTENT of the 'research' tapes is so fucking dry. He must have put himself to sleep reading that stuff.

Also, my favourite VO in the game in undoubtedly Skull face. James Horan's voice has this delicious hammy villain quality that makes him a VERY metal gear villain. Its just a shame he only gets like one moment to shine. Such lust for more skull face scenes...

Sub_Level

Why does that comic say Zanzibar land was in Russia? It was in between Russia, China, Pakistan etc. when was this changed?

Tselinoyarsk is supposedly in very Southern Russia near Central Asia.

Zanzibar was presumably in the former Soviet Union in what is now near the Western China/Afghanistan border.

Sub_Level

It says Zanzibar was in Tselinoyarsk the location of MGS3. Didn't some book try and retcon Outer Heaven as being Grozny Grad as well lmao.

Teslinoyarsk could have definitely been Zanzibar 40 years later. Its the same location roughly.

edit: ~35* years later

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Exactly, everything points towards Big Boss fucking Venom over in the end. That comic would have changed it and made it worse than it already is.

Yeah, despite liking the comic, what I would've done is make BB terribly candid to Venom thorough responses the radio (e.g. Mhm yeah gj soldier). In effect, it would further cement Venom as the nobody, the unsung hero of BB's cause as well who will never be heard.

And because seriously, we need more "jerk phase" BB.

The last 5 minutes in this game is sadly going to hog so much of the story discussion, when there's a whole game of story problems before we even get there.

My disappointment lies not with the twist, but with the overall poor story presentation and awful narrative choices throughout the game. Regardless off Venom and BB, the cut scenes were so average, the parasite story so fucking dry. Imagine if Venom started the game off as silent and as passive as he is, but then by the end was talking as much as any previous Snake. There was no sense of progression. The feeling of drawing closer to something was downright tangible in MGS1 and 3 for example. Here it was hopping around to a different circle on a map.

Yeah, the twist was the least of the story's problems. It could have been great if there had been any sort of story to support it. The story is just so hollow and uninteresting as a whole, that nothing feels like it matters.

Venom Fox

Banned
Tselinoyarsk is supposedly in very Southern Russia near Central Asia.

Zanzibar was presumably in the former Soviet Union in what is now near the Western China/Afghanistan border.
Wait, what? So while Venom is off doing shit Big Boss is 20 miles away building his Zanzibar land? What?
I thought Zanzibar land borders USSR, China, Afghanistan and Pakistan? That wouldn't make it Tselinoyarsk.

I feel like that comic is more or less what's implied in the game, with a SHOCKING amount of subtlety on behalf of Kojima - the man who made what felt like sixteen hours of codetalker tapes in an attempt to convince us that parasites that made teleporting plant women seem plausible in this world.

MMarston

Yeah, despite liking the comic, what I would've done is make BB terribly candid to Venom thorough responses the radio (e.g. Mhm yeah gj soldier). In effect, it would further cement Venom as the nobody, the unsung hero of BB's cause as well who will never be heard.

And because seriously, we need more "jerk phase" BB.

Yo wait a minute, after reading my own words

This kinda reminds me of The Boss schtick

...which makes BB as bad the ones that did The Boss dirty in MGS3

537.gif

Beat the game yesterday and it's definitely the worst in the series story wise but probably one of the best action games I have played so my feelings are really mixed. I didn't like the twist either, Kojima pulled a Raiden on us but didn't tell us until we beat the game. :p

Whoever takes over the series at Konami I hope they go back to what made MGS1 and 3 so good.

Sub_Level

Wait, what? So while Venom is off doing shit Big Boss is 20 miles away building his Zanzibar land? What?
I thought Zanzibar land borders USSR, China, Afghanistan and Pakistan? That wouldn't make it Tselinoyarsk.

Zanzibar Land could not border USSR because that collapsed by 1991. It would instead border Russia, China, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. It is in former Soviety territory in Southern Russia which is completely in line with Tselionyarsk which was Soviet territory. When the Soviet Union collapsed, multiple pockets of independent countries sprang up.

Apparently the MGS4 Database says Tselinoyarsk is in Southeast Russia, but we know that's not the most reliable source of information in the world.

I'm not stating this as if its fact. I'm saying it as a theory worth considering.

SkylineRKR

There were so many opportunities to let BB slide into the dark side... The game grabbed none. Zip. Thats my biggest issue next to that its unfinished.

All he had to do, is shooting Venom in the head and declaring war or something.

I don't know why Hideo wanted to erase MG1 BB from the canon. I don't think many fans questioned BB surviving a fight in an 8 bit game and turning up in MG2.

dmshaposv

The game's true problem is its pacing.

the story wouldve worked if it was spaced out in the glorious gameplay. I remember not recievong a single cassette tape between mission 14 - 26 and then boom you get a massive info dump from codetalker. Which is hard to sit through.

They couldve had some of the parasite stuff in the earlier chapters. Maybe it was hidden tapes with skullface talking about his experiments so it wasnt just codetalker droning on about walbachia copulation or whatever.

Sub_Level

wait, so zanzibarland isn't actually in like, zanzibar, but in the place where mgs3 took place?

what?

No, it's not the African country if that's what you mean. It was ALWAYS in Central Asia. And no, I'm not saying its confirmed to be in Tselinoyarsk. I'm saying it could be.

hTKfJlM.png

Zanzibar is definitively in that Tajikistan area. So too could Tselinoyarsk.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
BB is supposed to be a hypocritical jerk who shits on The Boss' legacy. He got mad at her because she "put the gun down" and he couldn't understand that.

He never really loses his charisma, and it's hard to pin down charismatic people as villains in the moment, but he is already in villain phase in MGSV for sure. He comes off as sympathetic in the truth tapes but if you read underneath he's already become pretty callous. He writes off his clones with the wave of a hand, doesn't care that Eli is probably dead, is initially against the Venom Snake plan but is very easily convinced it's a good idea, goes off to do his own thing while V does all the dirty work, unknowingly. V is apparently ok with it but it's still an awful thing to do to a person.

No, it's not the African country if that's what you mean. It was ALWAYS in Central Asia. And no, I'm not saying its confirmed to be in Tselinoyarsk. I'm saying it could be.

hTKfJlM.png

Zanzibar is definitively in that Tajikistan area. So too could Tselinoyarsk.

Zanzibarland =/= Zanzibar

I never knew this, I just thought Zanzibarland was a weird translation thing. I always assumed it was in Zanzibar the country in Africa.

ghostjoke

Banned
The comic, while not terrible beyond some fanwankery, seems to have missed some the more subtle points of the ending that would render that scene bizarre. I'm still not entirely sure of how I feel about the ending but it feels like Kojima is once more saying "you kept annoying me for sequels after 2 but I'm still going to press home the message from it one last time to see if it breaches".

SkylineRKR

Randolph did a great job and Huey was an absolute piece of shit. Hats off.

Was that implied in her final monologue after Misson 45 by mentioning her revenge or is it in one of the truth records tapes? (im listening to them now)

You were serious?

She's not Chico. Chico is dead, died on da choppa. But is mentioned maybe once.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't stand Huey being voiced by the same VA. It's just Otacon. He looks different enough but it's just bad with the voice.

its the same voice yet Huey's mannerisms and speech are completely different from Otacon's, compared to Naked Snake and Solid Snake being roughtly the same. It works fine I think.

This reminds me exactly of what happened with another Hideo Kojima game - "Snatcher".

The original releases only featured a 2 act experience, however with the PC Engine version, Kojima added a 3rd act:

Hardcore Gaming 101 said:
"The MSX2 and PC88 versions ended at Act 2, on a rather painful cliffhanger. The PC Engine version adds Act 3, as Gillian and Jamie learn the truth behind their pasts, as well as the origin of the Snatchers. It's mostly non-interactive, with only a few investigation sequences and one shooting gallery, foreshadowing Kojima's taste for overly long cinemas. Still, it's a spectacular ending, even if it leaves room for a sequel that has yet to appear.

I hope that the same thing happens regarding MGSV - as in the 3rd chapter "PEACE" is added back as a patch, DLC or included in an expanded edition in the near future.

[LINK for the full Snatcher article]

UrbanRats

Seconded. That's why it's fan fiction, it's the things everyone thinks they want to see, gotta spell it all out, gotta bring all the characters together for no reason, gotta make Meryl marry Johnny, gotta have Snake not die at the end, gotta have Big Boss show up one last time, oh look Zero is also there for some reason... you get the idea. People eat it up and it fills them up but it leaves nothing to the imagination. And yeah, that comic that's so "brilliant" just makes more explicit all the things the ending as-is hints at subtly and much more cleverly (the "Operation Intrude N313" tape, SO GOOD). Undercutting that with a last-minute Codec call to the real Big Boss would've been MGS 4-level pandering but I guess some people really like that.
Decoy Octopus is dupe BB in my fan fiction!

Gotta agree with you.
Whoever made that comic got MGS1's cheese and tedious exposition style down tho.

BB is supposed to be a hypocritical jerk who shits on The Boss' legacy. He got mad at her because she "put the gun down" and he couldn't understand that.

He never really loses his charisma, and it's hard to pin down charismatic people as villains in the moment, but he is already in villain phase in MGSV for sure. He comes off as sympathetic in the truth tapes but if you read underneath he's already become pretty callous. He writes off his clones with the wave of a hand, doesn't care that Eli is probably dead, is initially against the Venom Snake plan but is very easily convinced it's a good idea, goes off to do his own thing while V does all the dirty work, unknowingly. V is apparently ok with it but it's still an awful thing to do to a person.

In my head canon, V is not ok with it when he learns the truth

With Venom not learning the truth until Solid Snake is right outside his door I can understand his smirk reaction.

All this damn time he thought he was the real thing and was working towards his dream and right in the middle of things going NUCLEAR this tape tells all him all this bullshit. It's the kind of thing you can't help but laugh at, one of those insane morbid laughs knowing how badly you got fucked over and its too late.

Well that's how I'm going to take it, that cut dialogue was cut so shut up, it never happened.

SkylineRKR

Another missed chance. V should've felt fucked over, and could've been finished by a young Solid Snake in the epilogue.

It would make BB more of an ass. And, an appearance from SS in the final MG game.

MMarston

Decoy Octopus is dupe BB in my fan fiction!

Gotta agree with you.
Whoever made that comic got MGS1's cheese and tedious exposition style down tho.

Now that you mentioned it, reading it with circa 1998 MGS voice acting in my head is actually quite fitting.

dmshaposv

The comic, while not terrible beyond some fanwankery, seems to have missed some the more subtle points of the ending that would render that scene bizarre. I'm still not entirely sure of how I feel about the ending but it feels like Kojima is once more saying "you kept annoying me for sequels after 2 but I'm still going to press home the message from it one last time to see if it breaches".

Lets be real. Kojima loves making these games and he makes a ton of bank and gets acclaim for these games.

If anything he keeps fucking around and experimenting with these games to keep things fresh. Sometimes they work sometimes they dont. He isnt on any martyr mission to piss off the fans enough so theyll stop asking for sequels.

He wants us to ask for more sequels. And mgsv just proves he can advance and do great things with core gameplay mechanics and level design.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
its the same voice yet Huey's mannerisms and speech are completely different from Otacon's, compared to Naked Snake and Solid Snake being roughtly the same. It works fine I think.
Randolph sold me on the character. Best VA in the game, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom