• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Spoiler Metal Gear Solid V (TPS) Spoiler Thread (Contains Spoilers, Thanos).

Status
Not open for further replies.
True that.

Also what happened to Ammanda?
Is she mentioned anywhere.

Mentioned in a tape, her revolutionary group won and now everything okay with her government. She grieved over Chico's death when Kaz told her but eventually got over it.

Also she got Dr. Strangelove permission from the government to go back to the lake where Peace Walker was and fish out the AI. That's about it.

dan2026

Yeah.

Her revolution was a success, or something, and she misses Chico.
Ok cheers

Also listening to all the stuff with Zero in the final tapes I really wish we had gotten more of that.

The attempted assassintion of Zero. Zero's paranoia and living in a room with no doors or windows.
Zero losing control of his own organistion etc.

This stuff is dead interesting. Why was it not part of the main plot?

Alienous

Ok cheers

Also listening to all the stuff with Zero in the final tapes I really wish we had gotten more of that.

The attempted assassintion of Zero. Zero's paranoia and living in a room with no doors or windows.
Zero losing control of his own organistion etc.

This stuff is dead interesting. Why was it not part of the main plot?

I think it was mentioned in the Gametrailers spoiler talk, but infiltrating the Manhattan apartment block that Zero lives in as Big Boss for a final chat would have been awesome, rather than just "Welp, here's tapes".

After letting the ending sink in...I can say the only thing I'm disappointed in is how incomplete the story feels. In that state, I feel the twist is kind of unecessary and stupid. It could've been developped more as a revenge story (against Big Boss ?), or make a more satisfying ending...

I don't know. Ah well.

I saw that MGS2 was discussed here. Here is one of my favorite video game cutscenes ever : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA

MGS2 was such a great game.

RK9039

Yup the AI codec segments were amazing in that game.

I really want to know what Chapter 3 was all about, such a lust for a finished game.

How many of you would have preferred it if the game didn't have chapter 2?

I would have.

I'd have prefer it was called 'Epilogue.' You're mainly dealing with fallout/leftovers from the XOF conflict and not moving on to anything actually new, while said plotlines started/continued in 2 reach their end really quickly. It would have helped maybe, I dunno.

What cut dialogue are you referring to?

Dialogue where Venom accepts that he and Big Boss are both "Big Boss", he talks very endearingly about BB, almost father/son like relationship. The point is he's very ok with what happened to him and wants to continue working for BB in his role as a double.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Who knows, maybe the intention really is to release more non-numbered games like GZ and TPP, which will contain other chapters. They said this game was basically sort of a new start for MGS, and the episodic-like approach has probably been developed with that in mind. So I expect more in the near future, especially since so much stuff happens in Africa they got their asset creation mostly covered (Eli/Mantis, Gray Fox, Solidus/Raiden).

Dialogue where Venom accepts that he and Big Boss are both "Big Boss", he talks very endearingly about BB, almost father/son like relationship. The point is he's very ok with what happened to him and wants to continue working for BB in his role as a double.

The timeline also says Big Boss created Outer Heaven, and that his phantom was killed by SS, so presumably both operate Outer Heaven together. BB from outside, V from inside.

Alienous

I'd have prefer it was called 'Epilogue.' You're mainly dealing with fallout/leftovers from the XOF conflict and not moving on to anything actually new, while said plotlines started/continued in 2 reach their end really quickly. It would have helped maybe, I dunno.

Right.

The game would have been better off with a 'Prologue', 'Main Game', 'Epilogue' structure.

But they decided they wanted the 'Coming in Chapter 2' moment. They set up expectations just to dash them. They show a trailer and go out of their way to make you think "Wow, Chapter 2 will be as big as Chapter 1".

It's one of the weirdest moves I've seen in a big release. Whatever hype you build there only increases the disappointment when the actuality of Chapter 2 reveals itself.

He never even flips his gun, ffs.
What happen to the flamboyant dude from every single other MGS?

Miller was the most interesting character in MGSV, to be honest.

I think restrained Ocelot is another response to the idea that everything is too silly, but like Ocelot says to reference useless fancy stuff with one of the guns the DD's in training is using, it could also be a call-back to Naked Snake telling him how pointless showing off is when he remarks on his fancy guns in MGS3... with later Ocelot's constraints just being thrown out with the bathwater. Even his monologue on why torture needs to be succinct and effective, rather than sadistic and prolonged kinda throws later Ocelot away too. The self-referential jabs about self-hypnosis play into it humorously, though. If you try to tranq him during Mission 2 when he's teaching you about fulton, he says a few funny quips about drug resistance training and la-le-lu-li-lo.

Still could have been a lot cooler, though, since things like ricocheting shots off walls is pretty damn useful, regardless. The game only barely hinted at it with him being able to identify Quiet's talents and handing her his gun as a gesture from one semi-regular bad ass (Batman style) to another superhuman bad ass.

Miller killed it, for sure. Everything he said was felt and everything he expressed was more intense, with more defined gravitas.

Chariot

Ep 31 was a satisfying conclusion to the game.

Chapter 2 was grinding and what little story there was spiralling in to nonsense.

More does not equal better.
Yeah, it's like reading Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone with the first five chapters of The Chamber of Secrets as part of it. Yeah, it's more content and it's still entertaining, but it's weird. It's weird, man,

I keep forgetting to echo my one real complaint about the game... all the twists and disappointment are something else, but the way they set up the alternate difficulties is silly.

These shouldn't be separate missions and relegated to just a handful. They shouldn't even be numbered, honestly, because it just makes chapter 2's queue look even more like an unfinished mess.

It should be an unlocked, selectable difficulty for the entire game. Set the game to perfect stealth, subsistence or extreme, or even combinations of those and bam... you can drop into the world and do any mission or sideops, as many or as few as you want, on any setting until you feel like going back to ACC and changing it.

Anung

Un Rama
I think if they brought forward a lot of chapter 2 content into chapter 1 and paced it better they could have salvaged it or at least made it less shitty.

KarmaCow

Subsistence should have been an unlockable modifier for all the the missions that would work with it, like 'Extreme' and 'Total Stealth'.

Are the Subsistence missions even rebalanced from the vanilla counterpart, meaning do they add things in the world that would be useful? Because if they don't, I don't get why it's a separate mission instead of a global toggle, even if some missions would be impossible with it.

Raytow

So was Psycho Mantis another BB clone? isn't him called third child also has a red beret in his shoulder like Eli.
Also what was the deal with Quiet why the sudden change of heart, BB fucked her yet she stills seems to fall in love with him aka his phantom? seems weird.

Shouldn't have chapters at all. Still needed the events of chapter 2 and some though.

Mission 43 should have been somewhere around the original parasite outbreak at mother base. First you dealt with the idea of loss and inconvenience, and then it makes you straight up sanitize your own men. This should have happened maybe right after rescuing code talker, and Huey should have finished Battle Gear sooner, and then instead of the lingering phantom of Skullface's revenge being what changed Venom into someone who would put down his own rabid dogs, but instead the increased trauma of having to do that makes Venom even more prone to feel like Miller and make Skullface pay. THEN Venom would have been truly changed and poisoned.

THEN post-Battle Gear Huey and post Sahelnthropus/Liquid escape, everything could have come crashing down on him, with the futile attempts to help having been the only reason he got exiled instead of executed. Then we should have, ofc, been able to deploy an actually use-able Battle Gear against Liquid controlled Sahelanthropus in wherever Mission 51 would have gone. That would have been 3 increasing epic MG battles. Could have been 35-40 missions.

So was Psycho Mantis another BB clone? isn't him called third child also has a red beret in his shoulder like Eli.

I would have even taken a Sorrow relation, since The End's remains came into play with Code Talker... sure, why not? Empathy disorder and supernatural abilities. Go for it.

SkylineRKR

Chapter 2 was awful bar Mission 43 and the Quiet ending.

Though some beefed up missions aren't bad per se, I loved Pitch Black Total stealth for example. Perhaps the best level in the game. But they shouldn't have been numbered like regular missions.

Some guy actually called me and said 'do I have to play these fucking repeats to advance the story because nothing new seems to pop up in my game?'. I said he only had to do random side ops etc. Its incredibly shoddy. There is no explanation either. I could tolerate that in PW with its dumb fuck epilogue chapter but not in a console MGSV flagship game.

They could remove chapter 2 altogether and put the mission 43 happening somewhere near the end of the game, or as an aftermath to SF's demise. Then perhaps 2 bonus missions Truth and Quiet that open up once you've done enough stuff. On the other hand, its clear that Skull Face wasn't meant to be the ending. But there was the legacy he left behind and the fact MB isn't quite there yet. Most games just end, MGSV continues which is kinda cool in a way. But the content to do this isn't really there. While the first chapter is filled with useless missions that do nothing with the story. So its weird.

If those chapter rumors were true, then MGSV would've been ridiculously big.

Zomba13

He takes on aspects of those he is channelling rage from. Like fire on the sleeves from Volgin, the beret from Eli, Skull Faces mask shape on the eyes.

The Third Child could be a reference to his psychic powers. Like psychics have a "third eye" the Russians have found a "third child".

"How many of you guys would be happier if the unfinished game had LESS content." Are you dumb?
Have you every heard of the sayings "Less is more" and "Quality not quantity" and "K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple, Stupid!"

Sometimes it's not wrong to wish that a game had less content and spent more time polishing the good content it already had.

Chariot

He takes on aspects of those he is channelling rage from. Like fire on the sleeves from Volgin, the beret from Eli, Skull Faces mask shape on the eyes.

The Third Child could be a reference to his psychic powers. Like psychics have a "third eye" the Russians have found a "third child".
No, he was part of russian experiments with children and the supernatural and was just that - the third child. I think it's about dehumanization.

Listen to the tapes regarding him.

tuxfool

Banned
"How many of you guys would be happier if the unfinished game had LESS content." Are you dumb?

There are a lot of dangling plot threads that they could have excised. Also very few missions in Chapter 2 justified themselves. The children, the CIA agent and the film canister were practically 5 minute missions, little more than collectibles.

The CIA agent in particular was ridiculous. I ran in a straight line, and then Fultoned him, mission over.

SkylineRKR

So the reason for Skull Face's domino mask is pretty much so that we can identify Mantis being aligned with him. Can't think of any other reason really, lol.

KarmaCow

I'd rather have 1 excellently paced but lean chapter 1 than 2 chapters where the second chapter is awfully paced, unfinished and not great.

Chapter 2 sorta needs to exist as a post game thing to fit into the overarching narrative of the desire for revenge poisoning everyone and how Skull Face's death isn't the end. Though like others said, it's more of an epilogue than a brand new chapter.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Also what was the deal with Quiet why the sudden change of heart, BB fucked her yet she stills seems to fall in love with him aka his phantom? seems weird.

The beret appears to be a SAS beret, and Eli is supposed to eventually join SAS.

Mantis doesn't have the beret at the start of the game right? So I think either the reason both get one was cut, or it's supposed to be revealed "later".

They say Eli escaped the facility he was at in Africa, so maybe that is where the beret is from, and Mantis helped him escape. Or both are working for SAS, who knows.

edit: Like others said it could just be an icon from the person he is working with.

Well Big Boss tolerated Zadornov escaping 7 times. Maybe they hypnotised Venom to be just as dumb.

well a KGB/cipher agent escaping on his own is one thing. He's trained to escape. Same thing with Paz and Zeke. She's a trained super solider. These were a bunch of little kids and they stole salathropous right out from under miller and Kaz noses. I would have crucified them. But yeah, you're right. Super dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom