• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Spoiler Metal Gear Solid V (TPS) Spoiler Thread (Contains Spoilers, Thanos).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinjica

You don't get MB from Story/Side Op missions according to a person with an early copy who was chatting in one of the streams. I asked him specifically about the FOBs and MB currency, and he mentioned that you don't obtain any of the MB during the entire single player (he was apparently on one of the final few missions).

This doesn't surprise me, and it fits with Konami's new focus on the microtransaction driven mobile market. Single player Mother Base looks cool, but the FOBs may end up being some Clash of Clans trash (fun for a couple days until the paywall/timewall becomes insurmountable through normal play). Would be willing to bet that this was all at Konami's request as well, since Kojima had no incentive to lock people out of enjoying the FOB multiplayer.

Fuck Konami again

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
After this game, konami should reboot the series with a western director.

No thanks.

Anyway re: FOB stuff above, what do extra FOBs even due besides gather extra resources autonomously? Is that it? Not like you'll be managing 5 invasions at once if you have a ton of FOBs, so aside from extra resource gathering, what else do more FOBs give?

It just arrived. There're two dlc codes and a map in the box.

dKtFc7X.jpg

CrU2srX.jpg

huuxBZU.jpg

rTLFyTb.jpg

Shinjica

No thanks.

Anyway re: FOB stuff above, what do extra FOBs even due besides gather extra resources autonomously? Is that it? Not like you'll be managing 5 invasions at once if you have a ton of FOBs, so aside from extra resource gathering, what else do more FOBs give?

You can have only 3 FOB

Emedan

I don't want to know anything, I just wanted to ask what you, the guys who read all the plot, thinks about it, is it good? bad? OK?

Tell me if there is something to look forward to, and not just nice cameos, something substantial.

Without spoilers obviously, just a simple yes/no answers, thanks guys.

It's bad, it's the worst in the mainline series. I would say there's something you won't look forward to discovering cause it will ruin everything - at least if you have any understanding about how to build a story.

It's the single most disappointing thing for me since the Star wars prequels. I'll still play it but only cause of gameplay, the story is dead to me.

thabtoUK

who knows?
Skulls boss fight happening right now, quote here!

Skullface, the Skulls and the ST-84 appeared at the end of the "Where Do the Bees Sleep" mission ;-)

MrS

Banned
Day One Edition order status changed to "processing" by Game.co.uk, should I be getting excited? ;-)
My CE from Game changed to dispatched this morning. Will be pissed if this one arrives first given I have 3 preorders elsewhere because I thought my Game order would be the last to arrive!

Plot Twist: My SimplyGames order has now been dispatched

miku

Came to this thread and read all the spoilers since I am not a big MGS fan.

SO... we are playing as Not Big Boss throughout the whole game?

Xiraiya

Gj6Ori0.png

Good names.
I wonder what kind of Soldier editing methods will eventually come out through Modding or Cheat Engine or otherwise.

In Peace Walker I used hex editing and Cheat Engine to customize the best soldiers I had in each section of my Motherbase to form my own "unit" of badasses, I changed their portraits and quotes to ones that I liked that the game could generate and gave them custom names that Peace Walker totally accepted and even carried over into the PS3 version, I never touched their stats as they were already S rank soldiers.

Some of the names I used were:
Combat Unit Leader: Black Jackel (Which will probably return as my MGO character)
Intel Unit Leader: Ruby Wolf
Food Unit Leader: Old Dog

So even if I have to use Underhanded methods to pull it off, it would be cool to be able to customize some soldiers in non game breaking ways.

rakhir

SO... we are playing as Not Big Boss throughout the whole game?
It looks like it. You play for the whole game as Big Boss BUT in the unlockable endings it is revealed that you are in fact someone else made look like BB.

At least they were honest with it in MGS2...

maxcriden

I haven't played the game, nor do I plan to, but the detailed post on pg. 88 really nakes it sound like the twist and maybe themes are a retread of those in MGS2.

From listening to the latest Giant Bombcast, Jason made the point that he noticed there being "two different Big Bosses", it's crazy and quite sad that he is actually closer to the truth than he realises. I'm really interested in seeing how Dan Ryckert reacts to the fact that you're not actually playing as the real Big Boss.

Why are so many people who've never played an MGS title and generally uninterested in narrative gameplay picking this up? Because it's military themed!? It's about as military themed as Star Wars, or Star Trek in that not at all... it's a hard sci-fi stealth action game...

Also nobody is going to understand jack-shit since most newer people to the series seem to have no idea about the past story, which is going to result in a lot of whining and complaining about how the story doesn't make sense... all the streamers so far are a bunch weird non-metal gear fans who picked this up - because: camo, assault rifles, and desert storm MUTHA!!!

It's not even like that... It's not like I mind casual players picking up a game because it looks fun and all... but Metal Gear is a series that's not really known for being new player friendly. People pick this game up because they think it's something that it's not --- One guy reacted to the skulls unit with utter surprise and freaking out... where I was just like "Yup, seems about right. Freaky supernatural soldier squad.... this is MGS I always expect this" and he was just like "WHAT THE FUCK!!!!"

How many of them have played Rising? (I love Rising by the way..) That would blow their mind... or they just wouldn't get it!? I don't know. It just seems like a lot of people who play MGS are usually diehard fans, while some played a few of the older games, and are interested in this one... and now we have people who've never touched the series and HAVE NO IDEA what's even going on, or even who the hell anyone is!? It's just a little frustrating that a lot of our leaks are coming from a lot of people who have no idea what they're even doing.

I wish for a day where people don't pick up numbered titles in heavily narrative driven games expecting to know what's even going on... There is so much context lost, that surely they don't enjoy it nearly as much as we do... It's not like an Assassins Creed game, or a CoD game, or even a Final Fantasy game where the title doesn't matter and you can basically jump in and get it... but in a game like MGS... just no... No offense to casual fans of the series, but random buyers who just happen to "pick this up cuz it wuz at e3, an it lookd badazz!" are silly... and annoying.

EDIT: Also this game series requires significantly more skill than most popular games released today... In fact every streamer I've seen so far is absolutely awful at this game. This is not a game you can just brute force with mashy-mashy... UGH... sick of watching silly streams with poor players... haven't slept all night have class at 10AM, and then class at 5:30PM... I need to rest, and relax.

News Bot

Banned
I haven't played the game, nor do I plan to, but the detailed post on pg. 88 really nakes it sound like the twist and maybe themes are a retread of those in MGS2.

Except the faux-S3 Plan wasn't MGS2's theme or even really a thing in that game. It was a lie.

Seriously your shocked that a girl is playing through it? Dude, what little respect I had for you has just gone down the drain with that comment.

It is pretty sad that somebody would be that excited about a girl playing a video game... Also she is really bad at it, and has no idea what's going on or who anyone in the game is... and was talking about wanting to play as that "chick" A.K.A Quiet... She also whined and complained so much about the hospital scene that I had to leave. People have weird expectations.

Adrian

Banned
So the GDC13 trailer song makes sense now, after reading spoilers and reading the lyrics its amazing how the connections were made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Bu1lDD2So

We are not your kind of people.
You seem kind of phoney.
Everything's a lie.
Something in your makeup.
Don't see eye to eye.

Don't want to be like you.
Ever in our lives.
We fight when you start talking.
There's nothing but white noise

Ahhh.... Ahhh.... Ahhh.... Ahhh....

Running around trying to fit in,
Wanting to be loved.
It doesn't take much.
For someone to shut you down.
When you build a shell,
Build an army in your mind.
You can't sit still.
And you don't like hanging round the crowd.
They don't understand

You dropped by as I was sleeping.
You came to see the whole commotion.
And when I woke I started laughing.
The jokes on me for not believing.

Speak a different language.
We see through your lies.
Won't be cast as demons,
Creatures you despise.

We are extraordinary people.

or maybe because I went crazy with so much speculation...

Iceternal

So what I still need to know is :

What happened to Venom after MGSV until MG1 ?

Was Outer Heaven still Big Boss's idea or fully Venom's ?

MG1 could still make sense if Venom still works for Big Boss and faces Solid in his stead to protect him. Loyal to the end.

Or does Venom become crazy and turn rogue ?

In that case why did Big Boss create Zanzibarland ?

So many questions ....

Venom Fox

Banned
MORE PROOF FROM MY SOURCE THAT THEY ARE PROGRESSING THROUGH THE GAME!

fATojzd.jpg

Code Talker, Quiet and the Diamond Dogs take in a Metal Gear on Motherbase!
Started another playthrough? Because Quiet leaves MB before you unlock mission 46. The part where metal gear is on MB happens before the ending obviously because you destroy it in the last story mission. Your source is full of shit. Wouldn't surprise me if that motorbike scene was a cutscene from earlier on and he's making the story stuff up.

Have you shown a mod proof of your source?

Venom Fox

Banned
So what I still need to know is :

What happened to Venom after MGSV until MG1 ?

Was Outer Heaven still Big Boss's idea or fully Venom's ?

MG1 could still make sense if Venom still works for Big Boss and faces Solid in his stead to protect him. Loyal to the end.

Or does Venom become crazy and turn rogue ?

In that case why did Big Boss creat Zanzibar land ?

So many questions ....
See here's the thing, the source stated that it was Venom who created Outer Heaven because of the revelation of what was in the tape called "the man who sold the world" but then provided a screen saying Big Boss created it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I didn't catch these earlier from page 88.

- It was Zero's idea to keep Big Boss and the Medic hidden, this is why they’re on a British Air Force in Cyprus. It was also his idea to create a body double for Big Boss, as a lot people want him dead.
- The player realises this through a tape near the end of the game, where it is revealed that Zero wants to bury his grudge with Big Boss and help him while he still can. This is because Zero has been infected with a parasite by Skullface which is slowly making him go into a vegetive state.

Glad that Zero is featured like this in the game. These make perfect sense.

Eva in MGS4 states that the legend of Big Boss as a mercenary was muddled with lies and exaggerations. Ocelot plainly states "You're a legend in the eyes of those on the battlefield. Let the legend come back to life." Well we now know he wasn't just blowing smoke up BB's ass, he was being quite literal. Zero wanted to elevate the name of Big Boss, even after their schism.

This also shows that Zero was not a truly evil man, at least not any moreso than Big Boss. The idea of the Patriots painted as a wicked, destructive force in MGS4 was jarring after they make a decent case for themselves in MGS2. Big Boss and Zero simply lost control of their ambitions, sparking a chain of events that led to many conflicts.

AAMARMO

Banned
Started another playthrough? Because Quiet leaves MB before you unlock mission 46. The part where metal gear is on MB happens before the ending obviously because you destroy it in the last story mission. Your source is full of shit. Wouldn't surprise me if that motorbike scene was a cutscene from earlier on and he's making the story stuff up.

Have you shown a mod proof of your source?
This is very early you can see big boss horn is small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom