• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILERS Pokemon Sun/Moon Begins to leak on 4Chan

Why is Gamefreak so god damn incompetent in all things world building and storytelling.

Welp, at least there's Pokemon Reborn for that.
I dont know man, the story is sounding prettt cool and out there and there seems to be a lot of world building. This game is reminding me more and more of Black and White

RomanceDawn

Dang man. Primate got a couple interesting moves but no stat changes. Nothing significant. My other boy Druddigon just got nothing. It's all good though, I'll figure something out with them.

iFirez

Any news over night about where you can evolve Charjabug to get Vikavolt or at what level Wishiwashi starts using its Schooling ability?

Why is Gamefreak so god damn incompetent in all things world building and storytelling.

Welp, at least there's Pokemon Reborn for that.

The narrative this time around is actually pretty solid. It's no Paper Mario Color Splash but it does use its parts well so far. Heck even the dialogue's been far above the average for pokemon. I think the significant improvement to the presentation really helps to sell it. The fact that people animate and have varied facial expressions appropriately 90% of the time does go a good length. The pacing has also been pretty good too. It does remind me of BW in the pacing department.

UberTag

Do we have a full list of version exclusives?
I posted the most recent breakdown a few hours ago.
Unfortunately with only Moon leaked and Sun a mystery, there remain a couple unknown exclusives we can only speculate about.

Any news over night about where you can evolve Charjabug to get Vikavolt or at what level Wishiwashi starts using its Schooling ability?
Vikavolt gets evolved in a cave on Island 4 (Poni Island) inside Vast Poni Canyon immediately after earning the Ground Z-Crystal.

Wishiwashi's pretty much unusable given its stats unless it's in School form so I'd like to think it can use its ability immediately.
Otherwise, it'll be an Exp Share whore like a Magikarp until it does.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The narrative this time around is actually pretty solid. It's no Paper Mario Color Splash but it does use its parts well so far. Heck even the dialogue's been far above the average for pokemon. I think the significant improvement to the presentation really helps to sell it. The fact that people animate and have varied facial expressions appropriately 90% of the time does go a good length. The pacing has also been pretty good too. It does remind me of BW in the pacing department.

Unless you're the main character, where you're stuck with the static :) face every time.

How odd, you can catch Lycanroc Day in moon. You just can't evolve it or something.

well you can't really evolve a Lycanroc :p

Unless you're the main character, where you're stuck with the static :) face every time.

Hence the 90% of the time :). In the Prerendered stuff, the main character does have facial expressions. Just not outside that which is pretty odd. Admittedly, some of the facial expressions are pretty good. When the game wants you to smile, it doesn't do a half bad job.

Also, it's pretty surprising how well the Pokerides are integrated. It's like if the HMs were actually used to a decent potential.

iFirez

Vikavolt gets evolved in a cave on Island 4 (Poni Island) inside Vast Poni Canyon immediately after earning the Ground Z-Crystal.

Wishiwashi's pretty much unusable given its stats unless it's in School form so I'd like to think it can use its ability immediately.
Otherwise, it'll be an Exp Share whore like a Magikarp until it does.

Isn't that super late to get Vikavolt? Slightly disappointed there; oh well.

Wishiwashi doesn't seem to activate the ability under level 20. I saw a video of a guy playing yesterday and he caught a level 18 Wishiwashi and he put it first in his party and nothing, nothing happened on wild encounters and nothing happened in trainer battles. Maybe it has to be level 20 or more?

UberTag

I'm thinking Goodra's Sun exclusivity is offset by Flygon in Moon.
Concurrently, I'm looking at Island 2 to counter-balance things for Sun-exclusive Vanilluxe and the only Pokemon that's coming to mind for me is Talonflame.

Neat, Lycanroc day was the one thing that made me reconsider getting Moon, since I liked it a lot compared to midnight.

Wish they clarified that officially though.

So Lycanroc Day is not exclusive to Sun? You catch him fully evolved and can't evolve him yourself?

Is the above correct?

This is pretty interesting. I didn't think Game Freak still had it in them.

Well, I'm making a couple of assumptions that you won't be using EXP share and battle style set. And she might be really unfair on that assumption. Like Cynthia D/P levels. It seems all her pokemon start buffed two stages.

Now we just need to take down the kids who will complain about difficult battles so we can keep this trend for future games.

I would estimate the game's difficulty overall on Set and no EXP share to be about the same as BW2 Set which is a solid difficulty. This Gen's gonna be fun.

UberTag

So Lycanroc Day is not exclusive to Sun? You catch him fully evolved and can't evolve him yourself?

Is the above correct?
That is indeed correct. That said, you'll be waiting until Island 4 to capture the one that doesn't naturally evolve in your version. But it is available.

So remember there were new ribbons:
A Ribbon awarded for becoming the Alola Champion and entering the Alola Hall of Fame.
A Ribbon that can be given to a Pokémon that has achieved victory in the Battle Royal.
A Ribbon awarded for winning against a Battle Legend in the Battle Tree.
A Ribbon awarded for winning against a Battle Legend in super battles in the Battle Tree.
Well that is a bit boring.

Does anyone knows whether o-powers are back?
I can't find any mention of anything like that in the text dumps:
https://projectpokemon.org/research/sunmoon/storytext.txt
https://projectpokemon.org/research/sunmoon/gametext.txt

Is there a way to see the new moves added?
See as in info or see as in graphics. Former can be found here to some extent (along with their Z-move versions)
https://twitter.com/KazoWAR/status/796015665148809216
Also there is movesets for Pokemon. While you search those files for (!) that is supposed to show where things have changed I don't trust that fully. For example the level up table for Cyndaquil has changed (the new move burn up has been added as a level 58 move).

Speaking of learn sets. Gumshoos and Yungoos don't learn trump card. Guess I'll be nicknaming them Dick Tracey instead...

In fact the first Pokemon in two generations to obtain trump card via level up or egg move is Magearna.

Among the new Pokémons, do we know which ones will evolve based on other methods than simply levelling ? So many infos in there, I am lost !

With Exp share on or off?

Off of course. It's way more Fair with EXP share on compared something like D/P Cynthia where you're dealing with levels 8 or 9 higher. It's simply a hard fight with a ton of really, really bulky pokemon and some really irritating movesets. Makes for a great climax to the story though. We're back to pokemon having a pretty decent difficulty curve from Gen 5.

Delio

Off of course. It's way more Fair with EXP share on compared something like D/P Cynthia where you're dealing with levels 8 or 9 higher. It's simply a hard fight with a ton of really, really bulky pokemon and some really irritating movesets. Makes for a great climax to the story though. We're back to pokemon having a pretty decent difficulty curve from Gen 5.

Not bad. Good to know maybe i will play with it off.

Is there any word on the regular z-moves? For the non-unique z-moves, are they just equally powerful attacks, or do some types have different effects kinda like the eevee z-move?

UberTag

Among the new Pokémons, do we know which ones will evolve based on other methods than simply levelling ? So many infos in there, I am lost !
Almost all of them evolve via levelling... although some need to be levelled up at a certain time of day as well (Gumshoos, Lycanroc, Lurantis), at a specific location (Crabominable, Vikavolt) or with a specific move (Tsareena).

Only female Salandits will evolve into Salazzle. And Type: Null evolves to Silvally via friendship.

Forkball

I was really hoping for more cameos. Red and Blue returning is the golden goose of course, and the Battle Tree should have some surprises, but I was hoping they would go all in on nostalgia considering it's the 20th anniversary. I mean no LANCE? BRING BACK LANCE

Anything about Super Training /Horde Battles?
Both appear to gone. However this text gives hope regarding EVs:
Playing in it raises the Pokémon’s base HP a little bit.
Playing in it raises the Pokémon’s base HP a little bit.
Playing in it raises the Pokémon’s base HP.
Playing in it raises the Pokémon’s base HP.
Playing in it raises the Pokémon’s base HP a lot.
Playing in it raises the Pokémon’s base HP quite a lot.
Playing in it raises the Pokémon’s base HP to its max.
Remember base stats is what the games call EV for some unknown reason just to make things confusing (while IVs are of course potential).

Now we just to know what exactly is being played in. I think they are courses within festival plaza looking at nearby text.

Other boosty things:
A light breakfast for a Pokémon at Lv. 29 or lower. It raises the Pokémon’s level by one.
A lunch for a Pokémon at Lv. 39 or lower. It raises the Pokémon’s level by one.
A brunch for a Pokémon at Lv. 49 or lower. It raises the Pokémon’s level by one.
A fancy dinner for a Pokémon at Lv. 79 or lower. It raises the Pokémon’s level by seven.
A hearty meal for a Pokémon at Lv. 89 or lower. It raises the Pokémon’s level by nine.
Anyone who gets to level 90 will be salty. I think this is the Rare kitchen in fesival plaza.

Forkball

Poke Pelago and the Festival area both seem to have places where you can manipulate EVs. I can't believe horde battles are seemingly gone though. I thought those were very cool and there were some creatively designed ones (Seviper and Zangoose, Trevenant with Sudowoodo). Not to mention they were really useful for EV training.

And where is Friend Safari? How are we supposed to get HA Pokemon now?

Zomba13

Poke Pelago and the Festival area both seem to have places where you can manipulate EVs. I can't believe horde battles are seemingly gone though. I thought those were very cool and there were some creatively designed ones (Seviper and Zangoose, Trevenant with Sudowoodo). Not to mention they were really useful for EV training.

And where is Friend Safari? How are we supposed to get HA Pokemon now?

GameFreak gonna GameFreak.

Qurupeke

Interesting, at least there will be a method to boost stats and we won't return to Gen V's ways.

And yeah, I hope HA Pokemon can be found... I want Alola Ninetales and Primarina asap.

Forkball

Interesting, at least there will be a method to boost stats and we won't return to Gen V's ways.

And yeah, I hope HA Pokemon can be found... I want Alola Ninetales and Primarina asap.

HA must be available since Gen VII Pokemon have Hidden Abilities, plus being able to trade up HA Pokemon via the Bank would be totally unfair to those who don't use it. Knowing Game Freak though they will implement it in some crazy ass way like having to scan QR codes at Japanese 7-11s.

Top Bottom