• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens - It's True. All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me if I'm crazy or this sounds pretentious.

There's an interesting parralel in Ren chasing Vader's legacy and the film being a tribute to Star Wars original trilogy' legacy. The Force Awakens is a movie about legacies. Han and his grandson. The legacy of Luke and Anankin's lightsaber. Ren's obsession with replicating Vader's legacy. The Death Star. Ren's legacy to follow in Luke and Anakin's footsteps. Some legacies perish and are doomed to fail. Others are worth pursuing.

The more I think about this film the more I like it. A lot of people are going to chalk up the Star Wars story retreads as just retreads but I see them as narrative devices to compliment the film's largest theme.

Being that the movie is riding on the legacy of an off maligned prequel trilogy, it even factors into the creation of the movie itself.

Yup I felt that too, it's quite brilliant. Rey is basically a Star Wars fan girl. She heard the stories, she wanted it to be true and now they are and she is thrust into the movies adventure.

jett

D-Member
People bitching about two force kids not being OP are addicted to the prequels.

This movie was basically telling us how much the force is dead.

What are you talking about? Kylo Ren is OP as fuck before he gets his ass beaten by a newb who turnes out to be even more OP, for reasons.. He exhibits totally new force abilities, like stopping lasers in mid air, immobilizing people and reading their minds.

Kieli

Adam Driver is a worse actor than Haden Christensen. He was far and away the worst thing about this (otherwise excellent) movie.

His whiny unearned air of superiorty and awful delivery reminded me so much of the boss from Grandma's Boy.

That's precisely why I thought he was an interesting character. Clearly Kylo is not nearly as competent as he'd like everyone to think. Still just a kid (20+ year old kid).

Makoto

And here is more:

That's it for now. Most of the stuff in the rest of the book is things changed after production/filming started, so nothing too radical I think.
Thanks for the write-up.

That Ghost Anakin point is huge! With Kylo Ren constantly talking to Vader's mask, it's beyond strange that Anakin hasn't shown up at one point to tell him how he's being manipulated by Snoke.

I assume you mean Johnson has free reign, and if so, that's super sketchy. They don't have the story mapped out through episode 9?

It's not sketchy at all- it helps to get talent involved. Every director attached is also a writer. First thing Abrams did was jettison a lot of work that Michael Arndt did. Johnson writes his own stuff and so does Trevorrow. Those guys don't come onboard when you don't allow them a bit of creative freedom. So they have a general idea and some answers to the questions but are also letting them fill in many of the blanks too.

It will probbably end up with a better product in the end that way (and I'm no fan of Treverrow).

Plus, I doubt they go too off the rough plan anyway. The tight turnaround time between each film (especially the 18 month gap with Ep 8) pretty much mandates that they don't have time to start from a totally blank slate.

It's not really "abandonment" - he would have left her (in either hypothetical) with a guardian. Just turns out the guardian is a bit of a shitheel.

Which could also explain why he looks so pained and fucked up when he sees her holding the lightsaber out to him.

Luke isn't going to be an all-around good guy with everything all there, I don't think.

You've seen it twice and I've only seen it once so maybe I missed something but Rey's entire situation on the planet is pretty screwed up and I don't simply buy that, in a time of peace Luke can't find a good guardian for Rey even if he is in a poor mental state. It's Luke Goddamned Skywalker.

If there had bee a throway line from Rey to the effect of "I had someone watching over me once but he/she died and then I had to fend for myself" then I might buy it.

Oozer3993

Man I'd love to know what the original outline was. The one George handed over to Disney in 2012. I doubt it was A New Hope 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I think there is a world of difference between the two. In the latter he feels like a failure and goes into exile. Not noble but I can buy it (and I suspect in Episode 8 we will find out he was up to something else in the meantime).

But abandoning a child in that state? There better be a damn good answer because I don't buy that he would not do the same bare minimum that Obi Wan did for Luke and Leia. Especially when the galaxy wasn't in an active state of war.

I'm sure Rey's lineage will be important but I think it will be from a vector we don't know of or haven't considered.

My pet theory is that Luke freaked out after Kylo fell to the dark side, fled, and stashed Rey. Partially to keep her away from Kylo/Snoke. And partially because after losing one family member to the dark side, he didn't trust himself to keep another on the path to the light. There's a 9 year difference in age between the actors portraying Rey and Ren (dammit whoever-came-up-with-their-names, you couldn't have made them more different?) so Kylo could have been a teenager when Rey was dropped on Jakku.

As for her own Obi Wan type watcher: how about the guy at the beginning of the movie? Lives close to Rey and has knowledge of Luke, including a map to him.

Fj0823

What are you talking about? Kylo Ren is OP as fuck before he gets his ass beaten by a newb who turnes out to be even more OP, for reasons.. He exhibits totally new force abilities, like stopping lasers in mid air, immobilizing people and reading their minds.

Jedis read Anakin's mind in TPM

Sorcerer

Ren is fucking OP he caught lightning with his mind.

It's just weird that he's inconsistently powered.

Can we assume he is sort of a Vampire and does his best work at night? It's a first that a Force User is actually affected by actual light and actual darkness as far as I know.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
His acting aside (I did think it was quite strong), Adam Driver is first-rate casting simply because his face seriously looks like the kind of face that could be the result of Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher having a kid.

There really aren't any obvious weak links as far as performances go which is an accomplishment in and of itself. Thumbs up to Nina Gold, April Webster , and Alyssa Weisberg for putting in a day's work on the casting side.

Sanjuro

No he isn't. He is just the only guy around. He still hasn't completed his training, and is conflicted. The whole idea of the character is he is incomplete.

Biggest disappointment for me was that the fuck-awesome-looking scene with Kyle and the Knights of Ren in the rain was a 5 second vision. I was expecting that to be the lead up to one of the movie's cooler fights.

If we don't see that scene actually play out in episode 8 I'll be kind of mad.

You've seen it twice and I've only seen it once so maybe I missed something but Rey's entire situation on the planet is pretty screwed up and I don't simply buy that, in a time of peace Luke can't find a good guardian for Rey even if he is in a poor mental state.

On first viewing I thought the hand grabbing hers was Lor San Tekka's, which would have made a little more sense, considering, but on 2nd view, it does seem to be Plutt's.

I dunno. You saw Luke at the end of the movie. Dude does not look right. Something is fucking with the man pretty hard. Assuming this Luke is always going to do the right thing (or even MOSTLY going to do the right thing) might not be too safe an assumption.

Paging through that Art Of book, a lot of the pre-production and even production art of Luke had him looking off and/or touched in some way.

Makoto

There wasn't a single scene where he was OP. He was the Coors Light of Sith.
While I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say he was OP, the dude was stopping lasers mid-travel when Darth Vader only deflected them. Ren was freezing people in their footsteps where Vader only choked them. If Kylo Ren is truly frustrated about not being able to top Vader, it must be in some other area because as far as I saw, lightsaber combat was kind of the only place where he could use some work.

Avixph

The only problem with Rey being obiwan's daughter is time. obiwan died in A new hope, and there was a 30 year gap between RotJ and TFA. If Rey is about 20, then how could Obiwan have fathered her after RotJ if he died in a New hope?
The same way Anakin was born, through the force.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yup I felt that too, it's quite brilliant. Rey is basically a Star Wars fan girl. She heard the stories, she wanted it to be true and now they are and she is thrust into the movies adventure.
On second viewing, Daisy Ridley's non-vocal acting really makes the Jedi mind trick scene work. You can tell this is something she heard stories that Jedi can do. You can see her consider giving up after the second try. Then after realizing how weak-minded the Stormtrooper actually is she adds "and drop your weapon." Awesome!

Biggest disappointment for me was that the fuck-awesome-looking scene with Kyle and the Knights of Ren in the rain was a 5 second vision. I was expecting that to be the lead up to one of the movie's cooler fights.

I didn't understand where the Knights Of Ren were.

Why were they not in the movie?

Brakke

Banned

Yo that whole flashback business was asinine. What a JJ Abrams-ass thing to do.

Maybe, but why let her live alone and such rough life?

He read Harry Potter and realized Dumbledore was right.

jett

D-Member
Man that stuff in the art book...like what. They really were better off just lifting ANH if those ideas are the alternative. I guess they never had a strong narrative in their hands. Thanks for the write-up FUBAR.

Jedis read Anakin's mind in TPM

Well, okay. The other two are new though, I think :p

No he isn't. He is just the only guy around. He still hasn't completed his training, and is conflicted. The whole idea of the character is he is incomplete.

That doesn't mean he isn't powerful.

antonz

Maybe, but why let her live alone and such rough life?

He seemed to suggest he had a close tie to Leia. When Poe mentions General Leia he quickly comments on how he knew her as royalty. I could still see Rey being Han and Leia's kid. When Ben went evil and destroyed everything around him it was time to get her as far away from everything including her own family.

Thinking about it more, I love love love what they did with Kylo Ren. His first appearance shows how absolutely intimidating and powerful he is, but as the movie progressed, that was slowly peeled away as his instability became more apparent. Seeing a villain being the one with the constant confliction was one of the most interesting parts of the movie for me. I mean seduction by the light? How cool was that line?

El Topo

Other ships? Other operations? Getting trained by Snoke? Snoke doesn't really seem to care all that much about the events anyway, other than Rey/Luke.

He seemed to suggest he had a close tie to Leia. When Poe mentions General Leia he quickly comments on how he knew her as royalty. I could still see Rey being Han and Leia's kid. When Ben went evil and destroyed everything around him it was time to get her as far away from everything including her own family.

Yeah, okay, I get that, but why drop someone off on a shitty desert planet with no friends or family, where she has to work hard to get some food, her only hope that her family is one day going to return?
Was there really no other option in the entire damn galaxy?

NYR

Of course you will, are you kidding me.

Sanjuro

While I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say he was OP, the dude was stopping lasers mid-travel when Darth Vader only deflected them. Ren was freezing people in their footsteps where Vader only choked them. If Kylo Ren is truly frustrated about not being able to top Vader, it must be in some other area because as far as I saw, lightsaber combat was kind of the only place where he could use some work.

You can't compare any characters pound for pound. The film keeps throwing the idea out there that he is what's left, and imperfect. When he kills Han that is his turning point towards completing his training, but he gets his Wookie bent.

yep they cut some good stuff out and instead we get that basura with han and the two pirate factions and some ugly cgi monsters. that scene and death star 3.0 were the only things i wasn't really feeling in the movie.

This.

I see a lot of complaining about how it doesn't make sense that Kylo Ren got whooped by Rey (or that she put up a "competent" fight). I think there are two reasons to this and the movie seemed pretty clear about it to me.

1. Kylo Ren isn't good, period. He is obsessed with being Darth Vader, and is delusional about his own power. He commands no respect from his peers and he's completely unhinged. Why? Because he has his own internal struggles about how weak he is. He knows he's a fraud, he knows he is nowhere near worthy of his grandfather. He falls apart in that final confrontation because he is being exposed, he's fighting against someone who has the same potential power as him and he gets a harsh reality check. He's basically a force-sensitive bully in a world where no one has ever been able to fight back. He's only fought normies.

2. Between what happened in the movie and the fact that the title is "The Force Awakens', I don't believe that Rey is a nobody. I think her force-powers are dormant, and have been repressed. There's more to her backstory, they wouldn't have foreshadowed/referenced her past if it wasn't vital to the plot.

Onyar

My personal opinions:

- The movie overall is mediocre.
A movie to enjoy a sunday, it doesn't have the magic of the first ones neither the localitions (lore) of the first ones.

- It feel more like a Star Wars : Remake, than an episode VII.
Just all the scenes exist in the previous movies, obiously with different characters. The plot of the movie is the same of episode IV.

- The characters doesn't fit very much.
The bad guy is not characteristic, you don't feel the danger when this sith appears, also no characteristic sound, nothing.For example, he wears a mask for unknown reasons, he just take it off and you just see a good boy face. Even the episode I had a better bad guy. Rey feels good, she is the heroine of the movie and you can see it from the beginning. Fin is ok, but you never finish to share his feelings, it also feels too anxious about everything. The old actors seems they were in a party or something, they just give a shit about everyting,

- Actors are very mediocre.
Following the last paragraph, any of the actors do a real good job, maybe because the plot doesn't give them the oportunity. I just save the Daisy Ridley work, Boyega maybe because I had big spectations but he don't get them. On the other side BB-8 is a masterpiece, It loved everytime, eats the screen.

- No sense in the plot.
Wait, another death star and now it's super bigger? But the empire wasn't into a very bad situation? how did they managed it in only 30 years? How Rey learn that fast? They just blow up Coruscant and it's being resumed as a single small scene? How the fuck that super death star work?

- Voice acting was just bad in spanish.
That doesn't involve the original movie, but I didn't like at all the Spanish (Spain) voice acting.

- Music doesn't fit.
The music just don't are at the same level of the other movies, a shame.

So I was expecting a different movie than that, at the end isn't a bad movie if you don't take in consideration the other episodes, but it's a disappoint if you are a fan.

Tobor

Man that stuff in the art book...like what. They really were better off just lifting ANH if those ideas are the alternative. I guess they never had a strong narrative in their hands. Thanks for the write-up FUBAR.

He's powerful, but he can't fully control his power yet, especially with his side torn open by a bowcaster.

Also I'm pretty sure Kyle would have bodied Finn and Rey if he hadn't just been shot in the gut. By the time he faces Rey he's taken a shoulder wound from Finn on top of that. He clearly was nowhere near 100%. It's like a sports team that loses one of their best players to an injury right before a playoff series and then loses the series to a lower ranked opponent.

Chewbacca shooting him was put there intentionally I think to allow the heroes to win without devaluing the villain too much.

Sanjuro

I'm not saying he isn't powerful. I'm following the narrative.

He is the most powerful character introduced into this film. A film that keeps at highlighting his weaknesses.

jett

D-Member

Maybe when they slaughtered his students, Luke momentarily turned to the dark side and killed them all, and almost killing Kyle is what turned him back to the light side and went off in search of a way to dispel that dark side completely.

I mean maybe??? Literally making up shit here.

From the trailer i was really psyched for the knights in the rain scene and luke sitting next to r2. Totally blueballed by those in the final film.

Blunoise

No it doesn't.

Yoda

Obi-Wan

Mace Windu

All the other shitty prequel jedi

...all have the force. No family links at all.
Exactly! The force is in all living things, the Skywalker family wasn't even around the time of the first Jedi. The only people who think that the force belong to Skywalkers only, just watch the movies and read nothing else about the Star Wars universe

Fj0823

Would it? I don't think you have to be related to a Force user to get the Force. It fits with the theme of the movie of the Force awakening.

You need midichlorians to feel the force, those are genetical, but they can also randomly pop up as a trait (Will of the force?)

You need spiritual training to properly use the force thougg

Sojgat

I have faith in Rian Johnson. Colin Trevorrow has four years to get his damn act together

Trevorrow isn't writing Episode 9 to my knowledge. I still can't wrap my head around why people think Jurassic World's bad script makes him some terrible director. There were some really well put together sequences in that movie.

Par Score

When I came out of the theater I was wondering if Rey might have been left on Jakku because of Kylo fucking up the new Jedi order but I figured the timeline couldn't work out. But if he's supposed to be around 30 in the movie as well then I could see that fitting the timeline with how old Rey looked in her flashback.

My pet theory is that Luke freaked out after Kylo fell to the dark side, fled, and stashed Rey. Partially to keep her away from Kylo/Snoke. And partially because after losing one family member to the dark side, he didn't trust himself to keep another on the path to the light. There's a 9 year difference in age between the actors portraying Rey and Ren (dammit whoever-came-up-with-their-names, you couldn't have made them more different?) so Kylo could have been a teenager when Rey was dropped on Jakku.

As for her own Obi Wan type watcher: how about the guy at the beginning of the movie? Lives close to Rey and has knowledge of Luke, including a map to him.

This is along the lines of my current theory, but I'm guessing Luke didn't abandon Rey to Jakku directly, but left her as a ward of people he trusted, who eventually got cold feet and ditched her there (maybe after Luke didn't come out of hiding / the First Order started flexing their muscle).

I can't see Luke himself handing her over to that slave driver dude at that age, and him giving her up as a babe to seemingly loving parents fits better with the OT/PT anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom