• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynedom

Broken Blade - 05

Welp, had to expect that. We've gone off canon. Still interesting enough but I think Girghe's character development may have suffered somewhat.

This is still one damn beautiful looking anime.

Articalys

JKTrix said:
You find it hard to believe she didn't do stuff, but that's your mature, logical mind that makes it hard to believe that. Menma is still a child, mentally, who has a slower logic process. Sure, the pocky thing was cheesy. In the very first episode, Menma hugs Anjou and Anjou feels it. And those are just things that didn't involve her clear physical contact with Jinta. So she has had direct contact with them before even then, but they don't see or hear her so they don't know what it is. Like Jex mentioned, it's been obvious that she has some corporeal influence.

When there were fights, which she has tried to break up before, they resolved themselves. So she didn't have the need to try anything further in those instances. However, she learned from those encounters that she can't change anything without communication. The urgency of this was lessened since she thought things were going okay, but once she learned of the real conflict she was forced into action. First it was the phone calls, then it was writing things down and knocking things over. A logical process of a young mind.
I forget, did Jinta ever even comment on the fact that she could apparently affect the material world? Like, you know, the fact that she was able to cook him food twice? Or are we supposed to believe that he ate muffins that he knew neither he nor his dad made and not think about just how they got there?

Dresden

Articalys said:
I forget, did Jinta ever even comment on the fact that she could apparently affect the material world? Like, you know, the fact that she was able to cook him food twice? Or are we supposed to believe that he ate muffins that he knew neither he nor his dad made and not think about just how they got there?
It was all a dream.

Kettch

I'm really enjoying AnoHana, definitely the best show of the season so far. It is similar to KEY shows, but thankfully well put together like Kanon 2006 and After Story, and not a train wreck mess like Angel Beats.

The latest Denpa episode was also excellent, and it's no coincidence that the lead guy was absent for almost the whole thing. He was dragging down the show so much. Unfortunately, I'm guessing he'll be back in all his blandness for the rest.

JKTrix

Articalys said:
He didn't comment on them at all, though I had that in mind when I referenced Menma's clear physical contact with him. Jinta already knows she's real and can affect things (like making food and giving him a lap dance), just that other people can't see her.

I have other theories on why he hasn't just told her to 'reveal' herself earlier that was also alluded to in this episode, aside from making this a very short series. Jinta is still conflicted on whether or not he really wants to fulfill her wish, because she really might disappear. If he made her prove her existence earlier, it would have sped up the process.

When they all confronted him about it in this episode, he said 'oh well, screw you guys I'll just do it myself'. Without their interaction, he could delay her proper wish fulfillment and subsequent disappearance as long as he wanted to.

Articalys

JKTrix said:
He didn't comment on them at all, though I had that in mind when I referenced Menma's clear physical contact with him. Jinta already knows she's real and can affect things (like making food and giving him a lap dance), just that other people can't see her.

I have other theories on why he hasn't just told her to 'reveal' herself earlier that was also alluded to in this episode, aside from making this a very short series. Jinta is still conflicted on whether or not he really wants to fulfill her wish, because she really might disappear. If he made her prove her existence earlier, it would have sped up the process.

When they all confronted him about it in this episode, he said 'oh well, screw you guys I'll just do it myself'. Without their interaction, he could delay her proper wish fulfillment and subsequent disappearance as long as he wanted to.
Ah, so he's really a selfish prick who realized his dead girlfriend's ghost is haunting him (and only him) and is actually corporeal to an extent, and he wants to keep things that way for as long as he can even if it means everyone else thinks he's gone batshit insane.
Got it.
Obviously that's an exaggeration of what's going on but it was so much fun to type out I couldn't resist

Aaaaaaanyway I'm still curious to see where things go now that everyone's realized and believes that supernatural things are afoot.

Jex

Lafiel said:
If the last three episodes are really awesome or something, i don't think it will change my opinion on the show, a show that is above-average doesn't suddenly become awesome overall if the last three episodes are on a completely different level from the rest of the show!
Wait, if it's an eleven episode show, and the last four episodes (plus the opening) are pretty good episodes, that's like, nearly half the show being good. Seems kind of odd to say that if a show has an AMAZING last arc (not saying that this will happen at all) it can't pull itself up the ratings. I love the Tatami Galaxy and that show really sold itself with it's final arc.
Articalys said:
It's been a sticking point for a while that's for sure.

Izayoi

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Huh? How so? Just because he was being forced to do it certainly doesn't excuse murder. It's pretty disturbing that they'd just walk away like that.
I never said it excuses murder (but it does in this case, because I would kill a legion of people if I had to in order to protect my family, my sisters especially), I said that it made it clear who each person was working for.

A Black Falcon said:
Also, is this the same box that was missing from under the floor of the Beelzebub's Skull place they just were in, or is this a different box, from earlier, as they reference? Are they both the same, or are they different? I'd think it's the box from the Skull because they were just there, so are both the same box?
It's all the same box.

kiryogi

Banned
Anohana 8: I loved it. Screw the haters! About time the drama hit a breaking point. I think I almost teared up at the end. . . And it seems things are dim for Naruko now D: That's all I'll mention though. Not gonna bother with this fight.

HeartCatch PreCure 1-18: Sooo monster of the week. But goddamn it's so pretty! What's with the astounding animation!? (Actually I know why, but it's still a shock!) I absolutely love Erika and how expressive she is. I'm also in love with the ED animation/song.

Articalys

kiryogi said:
HeartCatch PreCure 1-18: Sooo monster of the week. But goddamn it's so pretty! What's with the astounding animation!? (Actually I know why, but it's still a shock!) I absolutely love Erika and how expressive she is. I'm also in love with the ED animation/song.
It still amazes me that a magical girl show has music like this.

e: Oh yeah, and the DBZ style battles.

kiryogi

Banned
It's so catchy I think! But honestly it's like wow! This is a magical girl show? But the things like the climaxing magic finales still seals that deal. Otherwise, what a surprise!

kiryogi said:
It's so catchy I think! But honestly it's like wow! This is a magical girl show? But the things like the climaxing magic finales still seals that deal. Otherwise, what a surprise!

They come when they use their magic? I need to start watching this show!

Neo C.

A Black Falcon said:
I'd ask for other peoples' opinions on what happened in this episode, because I really am confused and would like to hear what someone else thinks, but I don't know if anyone is still watching... too bad, Gosick's pretty good.
I'm still on it, really like the anime, even though it's a bit jumpy here and there.

I think the "who's on which side in the train" is clear in the end, the motive not so much. I guess the box being very valuable for both sides is reason enough.

tiff

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Also, it brings back the conspiracy element of the show. This is something I don't like very much, so it's part of why I didn't like this episode as much -- being reminded of that aspect of it hurts it a bit for me.
It reminds me of the "secret society that helped rig WW1 or something like that" thing from earlier, and the "there's a storm (WW2) coming etc etc" stuff that the show has mentioned a bunch of times; yeah, WW2 is coming, but in 1924 it's still 15 years off... I wouldn't call that THAT soon... though yes, Japan will be at war in China as of about 1931, Hitler gets power, etc, but this is 1924, when people still thought that there might be peace, not another war. Sure, some people saw another war coming eventually, but still... it's not one of the better things about the show, regardless of whether or not it could be considered prophetic (because some people did see something coming in reality).
The only people who mention another storm coming are the people who are involved, right? I agree that it's kind of weird that it seems to be becoming a big deal now when WWII beginning in earnest is so far off though. I figured there will be some kind of time skip near the end, but I dunno.

As for the train, I thought it was pretty obvious that the little girl and the big guy were on the same side, and the other two on the other. I don't know which side was each though, I always mix up the Ministry and the Academy (if that's even what they are? I need to pay more attention).

The girl was cute and I was sad she died, btw. Weird how everyone seemed to forget all about it afterward.

/XX/

7Th said:
7Th said:

I really like what I'm seeing, I hope they can achieve something similar to the concept art with consistency throughout the whole show (being a TV series, maybe a little simplified), something that with a person like Mr. Ikuhara I suppose they'll stick to it over all. Does Brain's・Base continues with the same little amount of staff they had some years ago? They have collaborated and worked with some big names and in fairly important productions lately, so I suppose they must have more personnel nowadays, no?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Hidan no Aria 8
I drop out of the thread for a few days because I have a life and NOW everyone's realizing that Aria's fuck awesome?! DAMNIT! I LIKED IT BEFORE IT WAS COOL!

Seriously, another perfect episode. It had east versus west, SECRET SOCIETY, and more. The confetti pompoms were just icing on the cake. Hysteria mode Kinji is boss. Next episode looks to be filled with innuendo. I eagerly await. :3

Neo C.

My Bride is a Mermaid 1-9: I like it, but it can't match my favorites. Mostly because it's too wacky for it's own good. I can't build a relationship to the characters at all.

7Th

kiryogi said:

Erika is the best.

u1q6u.gif

Deadman Wonderland 8

The breakout begins! Shit's really starting to hit the fan now. I'm assuming this is the part where anyone can die and the only people not fair game are Shiro and Ganta.

I am curious about the other resistance members and their pasts/branches of sin. It seems like a toss up between who was framed and who wasn't if Hummingbird's insanity is anything to go by.

Neo C. said:
My Bride is a Mermaid 1-9: I like it, but it can't match my favorites. Mostly because it's too wacky for it's own good. I can't build a relationship to the characters at all.

As I mentioned earlier, it never takes itself seriously. I like that; many shows of its ilk veer into heavier drama than their flimsy characters can handle, while My Bride is a Mermaid knows it has flimsy characters and so never lets things get out of hand. I may not have had an emotional connection with any of the characters, but the wackiness was fun enough to sustain the show.

B.K.

Japan is getting a Blu-Ray release of Paranoia Agent. I wish Funimation or someone would rescue the series and release the Blu-Ray set in America.

trejo

.Hack/Quantum 3

This was a nice little OVA. Doesn't really make me a fan of the franchise but it was at least fun to watch.

One thing I didn't like was how neatly everything sort of solved itself at the end but with such a short running time I can't really hold it against it too much.

jman2050

Oh man I hope JC Staff makes a second season of Hidan no Aria cause some of these LN spoilers I'm reading are just blowing my mind. We're talking close to Code Geass levels of insanity here.

trejo said:
Hidan no Aria will end up being the show of the season. I'm calling it here and now.

so its the next IS for animeGAF?

jman2050 said:
Oh man I hope JC Staff makes a second season of Hidan no Aria cause some of these LN spoilers I'm reading are just blowing my mind. We're talking close to Code Geass levels of insanity here.

PM me if possible :)

Articalys

Huh, I just learned that IS is based on a light novel series too. There's like four or five shows every season now adapted from novels; what's up with that?

trejo

Articalys said:
Huh, I just learned that IS is based on a light novel series too. There's like four or five shows every season now adapted from novels; what's up with that?
Why bother coming up with new stuff when you can just adapt everything under the sun?

Articalys

trejo said:
Why bother coming up with new stuff when you can just adapt everything under the sun?
Well, sure, but I mean versus manga adaptations. It seems like LNs are becoming more and more the go-to source instead of comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom