• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Deus Ex: The Fall for iOS [Up: $7 price, Video Footage]

Midou

E3 this year seemed like a good time to announce a proper sequel, it's been some time now, hopefully it still happens.

This does look pretty good, but I can't stand playing most games on mobile devices.

1-D_FTW

So it plays like the PC/console version. Just using touch controls. I don't even care about everything else, but watching that was so off putting to me.

stuminus3

You don't have to greatly accept something to put some effort into replying to a thread though. If there is unhappiness about something, it should be more directed. If this is a stupid Deus Ex minigame for iOS where you play endless hacking minigames to compete on leaderboards, then it doesn't really deserve much effort or attention. But if it's an actual Deus Ex game simply for a platform some people don't like, there is no reason to be so childish about it.
See, but this isn't my problem. I love playing games on my iPad. Just not games like Deus Ex.

(Though be be fair, I'm a fickle mush-head, I don't want to play Deus Ex on consoles either.) :D

SmokyDave

How is it f'ing possible that so many of you still hate on iOS? The amount of content the platform has seen in the last 12 months is insane, easily competing with, if not blowing out of the water, the other systems.

For what is considered by some to be the preeminent gaming message board on the internet, you guys aught to be ashamed of all this kneejerk hatred and bias.
Crazy, ain't it. The idea of being a 'hardcore' gamer and yet not owning an iPhone (or not wanting to play games on an iOS device) baffles me.

Still, it does seem as though many, many people just can't get past the 'no buttons' bit. I can kinda understand that given that no amount of coercing has ever got me to play games on a mouse and keyboard.

kewlmyc

Are you fucking serious? I don't mind mobile game, but quit trying to treat them as console games, it's annoying.

.la1n

I'll bite, it looks pretty good. Glad I kept my expectations minimal, hope they have someone working on a next gen Deus Ex though.

Rezbit

Looks ok for what it is I guess. I just can't wrap my head around touch controls though, they are beyond awful for 95% of games.

Hystzen

Il give it a shot

oh wait I mean BOO iOS booo

god knows why people bitch over iOS so much must of kicked their puppies when younger

derExperte

How is it f'ing possible that so many of you still hate on iOS?

I hate scummy Apple and will never own one of their products myself. So a) I can't easily play this even if I wanted. But more importantly I b) have tried a lot of the supposedly great mobile games on other touch devices over the last two years and they just don't work for me. I don't like touch controls when I'm gaming. Especially if the games are more complex like this one seems to be I immediately long for a better control method.

Watched the video again and it didn't seem like they were having fun or were very enthusiastic.

Social

not very "appy" with this but the price is really good for an iOS game on this scale.
I guess it's part of their tactic to get the doubters to buy it too.

Clevinger

It's about what I expected after thinking about it a little, and seeing this made me laugh

looks pretty good for mobile though

.la1n

Il give it a shot

oh wait I mean BOO iOS booo

god knows why people bitch over iOS so much must of kicked their puppies when younger

You wouldn't understand, you are an iOS gamer. The elite hardcore gamers know what it's like. Also haven't you heard? 95% of games are incapable of being played with touch controls. No I don't have data to support that so don't ask.

sarcasm just in case nobody picked up on that

Alrus

Crazy, ain't it. The idea of being a 'hardcore' gamer and yet not owning an iPhone (or not wanting to play games on an iOS device) baffles me.

Still, it does seem as though many, many people just can't get past the 'no buttons' bit. I can kinda understand that given that no amount of coercing has ever got me to play games on a mouse and keyboard.

It's not baffling, touch screen "hardcore" gaming is clunky at best. It works fine for certain games but not FPS and most other genre usually on consoles.

Also, an iPhone is really expensive.

How is it f'ing possible that so many of you still hate on iOS? The amount of content the platform has seen in the last 12 months is insane, easily competing with, if not blowing out of the water, the other systems.

For what is considered by some to be the preeminent gaming message board on the internet, you guys aught to be ashamed of all this kneejerk hatred and bias.

Because I don't like Apple overpriced products and touch controls sucks for games like these and many others.

Until the platform dosn't get a proper buttons any hate is warranted.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't see what's so bad about this. It's not like this is replacing the 'true' sequel to Human Revolution. That's bound to happen eventually. This is just a potentially cool little spin-off for mobile gamers and fans of the series. Maybe you're disappointed by the reveal, but that's why you don't get yourself hyped up over rumors and marketing. Ya babies.

I'll give it a shot if Square doesn't skew the design towards shitty IAP implementation.

IcyEyes

I will not judge the quality of the iOS version ... I mean, maybe it's an awesome game.

I'm just "sad" because I want so much a console/Pc version.

Quick question, does Square Enix have any Android games besides FF3? It seems like the majority of their mobile output is iOS based. I don't have a smartphone, so either way I'm assed out, but I'd imagine a lot of Android users would want some SE games.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, I was hoping it would be a full fledged sequel or expansion to HR for the consoles. And not even on Android either?

It's not baffling, touch screen "hardcore" gaming is clunky at best. It works fine for certain games but not FPS and most other genre usually on consoles.

Also, an iPhone is really expensive.

well it only sucks for people who cant get to grip with them. Plenty of people out there are using them just fine though so.....

stolin

deusexthefall-ios-04.jpg

New Wall Guy ?

Is it so hard to understand that some people don't like touch controls for traditional games?

Digital analog sticks are probably some of the worst things I ever used. This game looks great but why should I give a fuck when playing it feels like shit for me?

EMT0

Banned
Theif, Deus Ex, Tomb raider, Hitamn (although i didn't like it). Pretty cool company.

You forgot Sleeping Dogs, but no, the company, meaning the business part of it. Making decisions to create iOS titles, which is usually met with dismay by their fans. And they. keep. doing. it. That's the Square Enix the company I'm talking about.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I have an iOS device. I play games on them. Just not first/third person shooters because they're either on rails or control horribly. About the only movement they showed was the player sliding behind cover anyway. Yeah. So absolutely no confidence this latest entry will be any good.

So we laugh at the idea of Xbone costing 600$ but buying an iPhone for 649$ (the cheapest one) is totally ok?.

Floex

These kind of games never work well on a touch device though. I love iOS games that cater to a touchscreen, making a game that's built around a controller for precision put onto a touch device never works. Never has, never will.

Had an iPhone 5 since launch because I was interested in playing some of the games I had been missing out on: laid out about $50 on the market the first few months and quickly lost interest. Everything I played was either shallow or a port that played better on a system with buttons. The screen's just too small. I'll buy that the iPad might better facilitate excellent 'hardcore' games, but I ain't buying it on the iPhone. Not anymore.

Unless you would care to give me some recommendations I might have missed out on? I would genuinely love to be shown the error of my ways before I switch back to Android.

d00d3n

What is the value of the goodwill generated by releasing one of the best games the last couple of years? Today Square Enix gave their answer: It is worth nothing. Everything should be burned, exploited and sold off until the customer is too disgusted to participate.

heringer

Is it so hard to understand that some people don't like touch controls for traditional games?

Digital analog sticks are probably some of the worst things I ever used. This game looks great but why should I give a fuck when playing it feels like shit for me?

You can keep not giving a fuck, just don't start crying like a baby every time an important iOS game is announced (not saying it's your case).

Randdalf

The problem is not that it is on iOS (no matter your opinion of mobile gaming), the problem is that it is only on iOS. A baffling decision. Especially so when the engine and tools already exist on other platforms that are better suited to playing this type of game. Some might say that this is just a normal platform exclusivity thing, but what is there to gain for SE?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm mildly interested because it's mimicking the format real Deus Ex games. I was expecting a weird top-down game.

I'm not excited but it could have been worse.

Top Bottom