• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces new cloud gaming service Shinra Technologies, led by Wada

Arthea

All best jokes were made already, aww
still it is awesome, I welcome Shinra Electric Cloud Power Company to the real world, time to prepare headquarters?
I wonder how long we have till appearance of SIN:
Shinra international network

Cloud gaming has no future as long as Internet connections are so unstable and speed still unable to get a 1080p/60fps without shitty IQ.

Is this real? I just can't take this seriously with that name.

What if it ends up as some sort of elaborate marketing campaign for FF VII Remake :p

Holykael1

Banned
This is excellent
OST for the thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj0F2KfCvhg

This weird though, why are they co conspiring with AVALANCHE of all things..

On a serious note, if I understand correctly this is something they could turn into a business towards companies who want to pursue streaming games. If "cloud gaming" doesn't become a thing and it's a very likely possibility, this is pretty much wasted money.

Kysen

Why would they invest millions creating their own system from scratch when they could just piggy back off PS now. This is incredibly risky.

Well, I guess Shinra and Avalanche did kind of work together at the end of Final Fantasy VII and Advent Children. If I remember I think Shinra and Vincent were working together in Dirge of Cerberus, too.

I guess it would be kind of nice if Square Enix became a solar power and nuclear fusion company. AVALANCHE would approve of that since it wouldn't hurt the planet.

Rymuth

Bump for another recent interview
Siliconera said:
"We would like to be an independent one content provider for a platform enterprise," Wada said in an interview with Siliconera. "The reason for that is we would like to be a platform provider. We do not want to have ties with one big company like Square Enix. We would not be able to have enough energy to be a game changer. Eventually, we would like to be independent and we would like to partner with various companies." Currently, Shinra Technologies is a fully owned subsidiary of Square Enix, but they are looking for outside investment from other parties.

Read more here

Wada going rogue?

KoopaTheCasual

Makes sense. You need at least some basic competency to take over the world. Not gonna find that with Squenix.
Uhhh, you do realize that the turning point of Square Enix becoming a blundering mess in the past generation was all directly under Wada's watch, right?

Just checking.

BbAemb0.gif

Makes sense. You need at least some basic competency to take over the world. Not gonna find that with Squenix.

Considering it is Wada and they are chasing a market that has no real proven merit and without any clear business model or plan (unless I missed something?) not too sure they fulfill that requirement either...

Just sayin'!

I actually know several people in the company and wish them success, but it's not gonna be an easy sell!

Justinh

"Cloud" Services, "Shinra".

FFVII remake confirmed.

:p
laugh. They sure like to remind people that they made Final Fantasy 7 a long time ago...

Wait, I just saw the date.

Fake edit: oh, new stuff. I'll have to read that

"Shinra’s world will be the first world where the sense of time that conventional games did not have. That means not a single event will be able to be replayed or preserved. The game will be totally different for each server.""
that sounds pretty ambitious for indie devs

FoxSpirit

We won't get a FFVII remake because Square is secretly restructuring to become Shinra Electric.

FFVII was not a game. It was a prophecy.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Just like Half Life 3 or Portal 3 will be a great way to launch steam machines, I suspect an FFVII remake could make them a serious cloud software platform provider.

Beauty of it being on the cloud is that it could release on everything.

Mivey

Uhhh, you do realize that the turning point of Square Enix becoming a blundering mess in the past generation was all directly under Wada's watch, right?

Just checking.

Considering it is Wada and they are chasing a market that has no real proven merit and without any clear business model or plan (unless I missed something?) not too sure they fulfill that requirement either...

Just sayin'!

I actually know several people in the company and wish them success, but it's not gonna be an easy sell!
I meant "taking over the world", in a political, millitaristic sense, not an economical one. Though I guess once you rule the world, you also rule the world economy.
It was a FF7 joke : (

Also who's to say he is not more suited to be a maniacal dictator then a CEO?

Top Bottom