• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix raises FY14 forecast due to FFXIV, DQM:SL, Thief, FFX, and TR

Exentryk

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/140509.pdf

DNkpJK6.png

Thief met expectations!?

I expected a bomba considering how much development issues that game had which must have impacted the cost.

Eusis

"Everything went great!"

"What about Lightning?"

"Erm..."
On the plus side I guess unwanted sequels will not be so eagerly pursued in the future. I imagine LR had some interesting enough ideas, but they need to relearn the value of new IP, even if it's just riffing off of FF... though I guess Bravely Default was a step in that direction.
No signs of Bravely Default nor Lightening Returns.
That one's probably in a weird position because Nintendo published outside of Japan and I have to imagine For The Sequel was just a modest cash-in update in Japan. Kind of like how I doubt Skyrim Legendary Edition did the lion's share of Skyrim sales, that's more feeding off the people who were late and wanted an even better value. Granted Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is there, but that has next gen allure to it especially with people starving for worthwhile games, versus the same time last year when there were quite a few heavy hitting PS3/360 titles and interest was down on a whole for those consoles.

AHA-Lambda

Woah, hold on a minute, Thief met expectations? o_O

Or did SE preemptively lower their expectations in the first place and knew it'd sell like arse?

FFX Hd must be 1 million+ by now. Glad FF14 is doing well, heard it was one of the best FF's in a long time.

Get on that FF12 HD SE!

Saty

Thief and 'favorable sales' in the same sentence? Can't possibly be with long and troubled dev time and what little we know it did do.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thief met expectations!?

I expected a bomba considering how much development issues that game had which must have impacted the cost.

Or did SE preemptively lower their expectations in the first place and knew it'd sell like arse?
Thief and 'favorable sales' in the same sentence? Can't possibly be with long and troubled dev time and what little we know it did do.
With a project that goes off the rails like this it's not unusual to just expect to lose money in order to establish the brand.

If it sold enough that they went "Yeah we can make a sequel to this." they'd probably consider that a success even if it lost money.

Eusis

With a rough development history you probably had to expect the worst.

Plus maybe people with next gen systems are just THAT starved, it's certainly been tempting to me but I want to be more pragmatic, $60 isn't to be casually thrown around.

Takao

Banned
Seiya was an average boy with an average life, but one evening's meteorite crash will change his life forever. Haunted by nightmares of his extended family dying, he initially shrugs the real life deaths of his uncle and grad mother as a cruel coincidence. But the dreams become more vivid in detail as Seiya quickly realizes that he must explore his subconscious to save his family.

Welcome to Final Famtasy.

Soon to be a best-selling Japanese light-novel series.

Keirnoth

Banned
I really, REALLY hope Square took got a clue with the performance of Bravely Default. Especially when it beat out one of their lovechilds, Lightning Returns...

Aruhamel

Banned
With a project that goes off the rails like this it's not unusual to just expect to lose money in order to establish the brand.

If it sold enough that they went "Yeah we can make a sequel to this." they'd probably consider that a success even if it lost money.
But the reception was so negative that it didn't establish a brand. The Metacritic scores were below 70 which executives consider a death knell for any possible sequel.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What about the next fiscal year? They don't seem to have/ announced any relevant title for their forecast.

I expect they will have to give at least some kind of guidance on what to expect unless they're actually just going to put out revenue and profit numbers with effectively zero announced games.

But the reception was so negative that it didn't establish a brand. The Metacritic scores were below 70 which executives consider a death knell for any possible sequel.

Hey we got two sequels to both Lost Planet and Army of Two!

Asd202

I'm assuming they're primarily relying on Eidos this year for new releases.

I'm having trouble seeing FFXV out before Fall 2015.

Oh yeah I wonder what release dates their aiming with Tomb Raider 2 and new Deus EX. Both will be out before XV I imagine.

Philippo

I'm assuming they're primarily relying on Eidos this year for new releases.

I'm having trouble seeing FFXV out before Fall 2015.

Yeah i'd say TR2 for Q1 '15, two years after the original's release.

And FFXV in Spring or Fall, but that's depend on if and how it'll be at E3.

Top Bottom