• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix trying to sell off IO Interactive (Hitman)

Tomb Raider games are really good and I know the first sold very well, I'm pretty sure Rise must have sold decent for it to get a sequel.

Rise dropped a lot thanks to that dumb deal with Microsoft and releasing it the same day as Fallout 4. It probably picked up eventually thanks to the Steam and PS4 release but the initial release killed a lot of momentum early on. The fact that Shadow of the Tomb Raider is being outsourced to Eidos Montreal seems suspicious as well. I know the reboot series is popular... I just think Tomb Raider 2013 is one of the most boring, generic games I have ever played.

commissar

IMO, SE sabotaged the latest Hitman game with the absolutely shitty episodic business model.
In my experience the episodic format elevated the game to a regular feature of gaming, instead of a monolithic one and done. I'm impressed with the episodes, and the quality has been pretty conistent, which gave me confidence in what I guess is a now cancelled Season 2 :/

It's a good deal for sure but let's not pretend Marvel won't take their business elsewhere if S-E west manages to fumble it (see: Activision+Platinum)

Sure, but I'm not presuming that.

In fact, I'd probably say a lot of these messes are dying at the altar of Marvel. At least, this one probably is.

pezgM.gif

Let me guess FF15 didn't sell well so they decide to kill the western game first, if so fuck you square
FFXV sold extremely well, it was actually Hitman that sold poorly.

The dream: CD Project buys them.
The likely best case scenario: Microsoft buys the them.
The reality: THQ Nordic buys them.
The worst case scenario: Amazon buys them.
The darkest timeline: Crytek buys them.

There are devs still posting on Reddit about season 2 and they're still hiring on their website, but this press release says funding stopped on March 31st?

I'm not sure what that means.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Who has James Bond license? They should hire IO to make a James Bond game. Hitman 2016 was the James Bond game I've always wanted

rockyt

As much as i liked and played previous hitman game. The episodic really turned me off. The always online made it worse. So i ended not getting the game and forgot all about it till this thread. This may be the reason other have as well for not getting this one.

xabbott

That's a death sentence for the studio

In this climate they're already on death row. Sony's treatment of Evolution, Activision moving studios to fewer titles, EA is EA, etc. It's not like any publisher is completely safe at the moment. I would have said maybe Ubisoft but they have that hostile takeover going on.

MS could be a good fit if the studio learned enough with episodic content to do something on the Game Pass platform. Or even just doing a single player game in the Killer Instinct season format.

Matt

The dream: CD Project buys them.
The likely best case scenario: Microsoft buys the them.
The reality: THQ Nordic buys them.
The worst case scenario: Amazon buys them.
The darkest timeline: Crytek buys them.
None of these categories have the correct winners attached to them.

Barrylad

Neo Member
I absolutely loved the episodic model, it's part of what made this game click for me. However, I can't count the amount of people who were turned off by it whenever I'd beg them to get into Hitman. I got a lot of 'Ill buy it when it's all being sold together,' but then the retail version kind of came and went without any fanfare, I didn't see many new people talking about it - plus, once all the episodes had rolled out, the game kinda exited the zeitgeist abruptly. The elusive targets are still going, but the game isn't buzzing like it once was, so I really don't imagine people ran out and bought that disc release.

Such a bummer. Hopefully this pans out for IO, with the license in tow. Maybe their next season won't have so many painful online hooks.

Amir0x

Banned
They did it to themselves. Episode one was fucking amazing but regardless of what cane next the always online ruined that. Which is sad because I felt like it was starting out to be the best Hitman game in the series.

While I abhor the always online concept as a general rule, I don't think there is any evidence that this is what caused the problem (at least, it was not a primary cause).

I think the episodic business model was a more likely culprit, and the fact that the previous Hitman game had disappointed many fans so there was some attrition to sales as a result. I think a lot of developers fail to realize that when you fail to release a quality entry in a franchise, the follow up tends to pay the price with reduced sales overall.

Unless Square was willing to pay the marketing price to inform gamers as to the fact they heard us and improved the game exponentially, people will naturally drop off. I don't think SquareEnix marketed the game nearly as heavily, the game was episodic, and the last game was on the consumer's mind.

Add it all together and you already have a formula for significantly reduced sales. Maybe always online contributed somewhat to it on the tail end, but I'd wager it was a smaller issue than all the rest.

Let me guess FF15 didn't sell well so they decide to kill the western game first, if so fuck you square

The sales figures are in the OP. I don't know why you'd jump to this conclusion.

As much as I love the concept of episodic content in games, I don't think it works. I know TellTale makes it work for themselves, but only because that's "their thing" and they don't need to turn over AAA profits to remain in the business. Their games are much lower in budget than Hitman was, and I don't think gamers would react well to a TellTale quality budget for an IP like Hitman either.

Here's hoping someone picks the team up quickly. Their latest Hitman might not have sold well but the quality is undeniable.

The western division of Square-Enix has been a mess in general.

* Kill Sleeping Dogs and United Front Games

* Pulled a messy exclusivity deal that stunted Tomb Raider's salsa

* Put Deus Ex on ice

* And now, getting rid of I-O

Thanks, Phil Rogers.

Awful news. I can't help but blame the mess prior to release, when Square Enix Europe couldn't seem to figure out how the fuck they were going to release it before they finally settled on the episodic model. It seemed like there was non-stop negative press surrounding the game back then.

sonicmj1

This is a damn shame. Hitman was one of my favorite games of last year, and while the episodic model gave me pause at first, after seeing what they did with it I'd buy in on Season 2 right away.

On the bright side, at least this opens up the possibility of a new Freedom Fighters game.

llehuty

Even if the game ended up being good, I think the wobbly prerelease PR and the innovative model killed all the hype. What if Hitman Go made them more money than proper Hitman?

Hjod

Banned
I really hope everyone at IO lands on their feet.

I thought Hitman did great, but I guess I was wrong. I loved it, I was hyped for Season 2. And the episodic nature of the game made it better, the game wouldn't been as good with out it.

Fuck, this is sad news.

DKHF

I wonder what does this mean for FF7 Remake. I won't be surprised if SE decides to drop the episodic format.
I think FFVII Remake's format will be very different to Hitman's, they've never referred to FFVIIR as being episodic just a multi-part series of games that the producer compared in scope to the FFXIII trilogy games. It will probably be 3 $60 releases just with FFVII Remake: *Insert Subtitle* so a more safe model than Hitman's episodic format.

benzy

Thanks, Phil Rogers.

Awful news. I can't help but blame the mess prior to release, when Square Enix Europe couldn't seem to figure out how the fuck they were going to release it before they finally settled on the episodic model. It seemed like there was non-stop negative press surrounding the game back then.

I vaguely recall SE not really knowing how they wanted to release this game too. The episodic announcement initially got a bit of backlash.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Where was it reported that FFXV sold extremely well?

Sold well for them: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348926

I really don't get why a number of GAFfers are ultra negative with FFXV and expect it to crap up everything.

Edit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1372281

This is their best result ever in terms of Net Revenue, Operating Income (beating FY 2010), Ordinary Income and Net Income:

FFXV, Rise of the Tomb Raider and smartphone games like "FF Brave Exvius" and "Hoshi no Dragon Quest" were the biggest contributors. Segments like Publication and Merchadising also had increases in Operating Profit:

So can we please stop saying FFXV was a pithole for money.

Shaanyboi

Banned
What the fuck is wrong with Square? They make one of the best fucking games of last year, promise a Season 2, and now this??

Aangster

There are devs still posting on Reddit about season 2 and they're still hiring on their website, but this press release says funding stopped on March 31st?

I'm not sure what that means.

Both IO and Square never officially confirmed Season 2, and there wasn't much dev chatter about it on Reddit. I imagine that it'd come as a shock to most IO devs, perhaps even upper management. Regardless, IO were looking to reimplement briefcase and human shield mechanics that didn't work during pre-alpha development for Season 2. It saddens me greatly that we won't see more 47 around the world.

Those incompetents at SQ Europe strike once again.

oti

Banned
So what are SE's key franchises going forward?

Marvel (which is a licensing deal), Dragon Quest, FF, Kingdom Hearts and Tomb Raider?

Let's be real here.

The initial reactions to Hitman were very negative. Positivity may have started to pick up later on, but the first impressions are usually always the most important. Especially for a high budget triple A production.

I think the episodic format could have worked fine. However, the always online bullshit and the bad PC port at launch drove many away from buying it.

Paasei

Makes me very sad. I've only played the first 4 games. Where I truly loved Blood Money.
I think I have played that game over 50 times now.
If I would ever feel like speedrunning, that would be my game.

Never bothered with the new Hitman game and it's episodes, as I absolutely hated their approach on the series in Absolution, I never gave it any chance.
If it is more like Blood Money and the first 2 games, I can always get it. Complete edition isn't very expensive anyway.

One of my favorite series, as I am a sucker for stealth games, making 100% sure nobody ever knew I was there.

Top Bottom