• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

St. Louis County Police Officer murdered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Stuff" is happening more and more because of entropy but police being shot fortunately is not one of them.

It is a dangerous and thankless job but surprisingly not even in the top ten dangerous jobs.

Not that surprising

A majority of cops have probably never fired their guns

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
"Stuff" is happening more and more because of entropy but police being shot fortunately is not one of them.

It is a dangerous and thankless job but surprisingly not even in the top ten dangerous jobs.

Would Love to see a current statistic on this. Because just like people believing shootings of blacks are on the rise, it sure seems shooting of police are on the rise, but both could simply be media exploitation.

And yet it's happening less.

Current evidence?

Glix

I get what you're doing, but you're still an ass for doing it.

A dude got shot in the face for doing his 40k a year bullshit job. RIP

At this point you should probably post the link to one of the threads about poc being shot by police where you called someone an ass for a post like that.

If not, then you're the ass.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Would Love to see a current statistic on this. Because just like people believing shootings of blacks are on the rise, it sure seems shooting of police are on the rise, but both could simply be media exploitation.

There are lots of data right now. Only meaningful increases are civilians - and bluntly, gang members in a few cities are warping the general stats. Chicago alone is disproportionately affecting the patterns. Get rid of that turd Rahm.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Current evidence?

Link

Data from the Officers Down Memorial Page, which tracks law enforcement officer fatalities in real time, illustrates the point. During the Reagan years, for instance, an average of 101 police officers were intentionally killed each year. Under George H.W. Bush that number fell to 90. It fell further, to 81 deaths per year, under Bill Clinton, and to 72 deaths per year under George W. Bush.

Under Obama, the average number of police intentionally killed each year has fallen to its lowest level yet — an average of 62 deaths annually through 2015. If you include the 2016 police officer shootings year-to-date and project it out to a full year, that average of 62 deaths doesn't change.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
At this point you should probably post the link to one of the threads about poc being shot by police where you called someone an ass for a post like that.

If not, then you're the ass.
So because someone somewhere shot someone unjustifiably, this senseless murder is justified? Great logic.

zeemumu

Not sure if stuff is happening more. I think we're just made more aware of it when it does. I'd have to look at the stats, though

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
What a shame. RIP.

No one ever said being a Police Officer wasn't dangerous. It's why the position usually comes with a lot of built in respect and admiration. I don't want anyone going to work in the morning and ending their day in the morgue. It's sad.

marrec

Banned
Not sure if stuff is happening more. I think we're just made more aware of it when it does. I'd have to look at the stats, though

"Stuff" as in police officers dying in the line of duty is happening less and less, even as the number of police officers goes up and up.

So, "stuff" is not happening more and more.

RIP to the officer, it's a dangerous and mostly thankless job.

TalonJH

Sheesh..looks like a kid. This country and it's stupid gun obsession. Hope he enjoys living in a box for the rest of his life..
He's 18. According to http://www.stlmugshots.com/, he has 2 old mug shots, one from Nov of last year and one from May of this year. Not sure what the old mugshots is from.

T078740442.jpg

According to the National Law Enforcement Memorial Fund (I'm just assuming this is a good source on these numbers) there is a slight downward trend in officers killed by shooting in the past 10 years.Link

And a clear downward trend in officer deaths and assaults in the past 10 years. Link

soco

Definitely a big part of this, and this is exaggerated by the availability bias, wherein because we've seen a few recently, we start to think it's happening more and we overestimate the probability. Having global media and forums just exaggerates that because now we can see these from all over the world, where just 20 years ago you only would've heard of the bigger ones.

I'm thankful that the shooter isn't black. This country can't handle the conversation of race relations or gun laws; so a situation that includes both never goes anywhere and is used to discredit blacks.

Hope the suspect pulls through just so he can become a fleshlight in jail.

You're in the slammer now boy.

USC-fan

Banned
What a shame. RIP.

No one ever said being a Police Officer wasn't dangerous. It's why the position usually comes with a lot of built in respect and admiration. I don't want anyone going to work in the morning and ending their day in the morgue. It's sad.

not in 2016 and its sad

RIP

HeySeuss

To date 42 officers have been killed by gunfire. This is a 50% increase over this time last year, which highlights the whole "war on cops" rhetoric that you hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom