• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

St. Louis County Police Officer murdered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

I'm thankful that the shooter isn't black. This country can't handle the conversation of race relations or gun laws; so a situation that includes both never goes anywhere and is used to discredit blacks.

He wasn't carrying legally, so they'll just say he wouldn't have followed the laws regardless.

USC-fan

Banned
To date 42 officers have been killed by gunfire. This is a 50% increase over this time last year, which highlights the whole "war on cops" rhetoric that you hear.

get out of here with facts!!! /s

It clear to anyone that been paying attention what's been going on year.

This is why we need a coming together in this nation.

What's been going on, fan? You're talking like there's been an outright dismissal. Not sure what that's about..

zeemumu

"Stuff" as in police officers dying in the line of duty is happening less and less, even as the number of police officers goes up and up.

So, "stuff" is not happening more and more.

RIP to the officer, it's a dangerous and mostly thankless job.

According to the National Law Enforcement Memorial Fund (I'm just assuming this is a good source on these numbers) there is a slight downward trend in officers killed by shooting in the past 10 years.Link

And a clear downward trend in officer deaths and assaults in the past 10 years. Link

Ah okay

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
not in 2016 and its sad

RIP

Well, yeah, but I figured that wasn't necessary to point out in a thread like this. Although, truth told, most people, I'd say, the vast majority of the people, still respect police, and what they stand for. But there is a lot of tension and mistrust as well. But this isn't the thread for that discussion, I think.

zelas

Well, yeah, but I figured that wasn't necessary to point out in a thread like this. Although, truth told, most people, I'd say, the vast majority of the people, still respect police, and what they stand for. But there is a lot of tension and mistrust as well. But this isn't the thread for that discussion, I think.

Yeah imo this thread is kind of unnecessary imo. OP trying to relate the "stuff" that has been going on recently with what happened in this case doesnt make sense. And as you say the tension discussion is off topic too. Unless their story is made up, this guy just straight up murdered a cop upon arriving on the scene. Unless we're reporting every law enforcement death for posterity, or stating the obvious about how the job can be dangerous, what exactly is the point? What's to discuss?

I mean, we've either got family in, or know someone who works/worked for law enforcement. It's a mad world we're in where we can't support, yet criticize when applicable..

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I mean, we've either got family in, or know someone who works/worked for law enforcement. It's a mad world we're in where we can't support, yet criticize when applicable..

True. I got family and friends in Law Enforcement, as well as the military, but that doesn't mean I'm going to turn a blind eye when they're doing something wrong.

True. I got family and friends in Law Enforcement, as well as the military, but that doesn't mean I'm going to turn a blind eye when they're doing something wrong.

Older brother was a cop in NY and a bounty hunter in Texas. Also an airman. I've got dudes (good and bad) that I grew up with that are cops. Brothers from another in corrections. I know the deal. I learned a long time ago that lumping only served to ruin my experiences. I'll never forget those singular strangers that outweighed the many while growing up.

My boy, Office Dean, will remain just that until my last breath. Will never forget how he looked out for me and my (now wife) girl. Or the day many years later that he had the biggest smile as he pulled me over while walking my son in a stroller.

I'll always scream loudly that good officers exist and are the majority. I HATE that when calling out the bad, you get bombarded. I also hate that this is a conversation in this thread, so I'm done with it..this officer was slain on some bullshit..fuck all that..

Rembrandt

Banned
To date 42 officers have been killed by gunfire. This is a 50% increase over this time last year, which highlights the whole "war on cops" rhetoric that you hear.

That's still really low.

Shut up. You're pointlessly tryna divide the conversation into sides while calling for a coming together.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

I bet we won't hear much about the war on cops here because the guy was white. His number will be added to the tally, but this specific case will be ignored. The war on cops rhetoric is inherently racist because of this. It's just as likely that the increase police murders is just the culmination of increased amounts of firearms in the US rather than anti-police movements

I bet we won't hear much about the war on cops here because the guy was white. This thread is pretty barren too. His number will be added to the tally, but this specific case will be ignored. The war on cops rhetoric is inherently racist because of this. It's just as likely that the increase police murders is just the culmination of increased amounts of firearms in the US.

I'm not sure what to attribute that to. Could be the time of day. Could be resentment. Could be a variety of things. I try not to focus on it too much. Lots of positive/negative police threads are made and the numbers just aren't the same. More times than not, people that post in the positive ones aren't in the negative..and I'm taking that "both sides" shit.

It's a sad state, really..

Sorry, I was talking about the slain cop.

Ugh..fuck, man. I'm so sorry.

johnny956

He is part of our babysitter's extended family. Horrible.

Edit-I am talking about the slain cop

Yea his family is a part of my parents church. Leaving a 2 year old boy and his wife. Thankfully they'll have a ton of support from friends and the church. Wife I feel the worst for, she lost her dad to cancer recently and he was in his 50's I think (he was a police officer and her brother is as well)

Yea his family is a part of my parents church. Leaving a 2 year old boy and his wife. Thankfully they'll have a ton of support from friends and the church. Wife I feel the worst for, she lost her dad to cancer recently and he was in his 50's I think (he was a police officer and her brother is as well)

Fucking terrible..

Mark L

Her brother is our babysitter's brother in law. He was the one who had to deliver the news to his sister (the officer's wife).

Mark L

Poor Michelle was a mess when we picked up our kid. God, I hope she takes time to spend with the family tomorrow. They will need all the support they can get.

johnny956

Poor Michelle was a mess when we picked up our kid. God, I hope she takes time to spend with the family tomorrow. They will need all the support they can get.

Damn small word. They'll get through but it'll be tough. Backstoppers will help out a ton. They always take care of those families

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

Her brother is our babysitter's brother in law. He was the one who had to deliver the news to his sister (the officer's wife).

Damn small word. They'll get through but it'll be tough. Backstoppers will help out a ton. They always take care of those families

That's heartbreaking. Her and the family and other loved ones are in my prayers. I know what it's like to have someone taken from you violently, and it's hard, and the wound never really heals, but it will get better, that I promise.

johnny956

2 old mug shots from within a year but he was out on the streets... would love to see what the outcome was for those incidents vs what would happen to someone who wasn't a white male.

He was allowed to purchase a gun too because he wasn't convicted yet...our wonderful 2nd amendment laws in play in Missouri

McBryBry

Funeral was today. Live in the same area he's from. Was at work during, but some girls were crowded around a phone watching it while my girlfriend was up by the cemetery.

LOTS of support. A lot of people out there for the procession. Just thought I'd share.

Also, there's a final radio call for him floating around. They played it at the cemetery and apparently, some other officers dropped from emotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom