• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

KainXVIII

l_552ceb4a0086dy4zhu.jpg

Is she retarded?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
It looks really good. Just one question for a gamer that doesn't know anything about this series. Wasn't this supposed to be about sci-fi and space travel? Why I always see medieval locations?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It looks really good. Just one question for a gamer that doesn't know anything about this series. Wasn't this supposed to be about sci-fi and space travel? Why I always see medieval locations?

Director wanted to focus more on Fantasy than Sci-Fi.

That is what the series has always been about. You are space explorers with technology beyond the wildest dreams of people today.

So you spend the entire game on some medieval planet where everybody uses swords and bows. Because of rules around interfering with growing civilisations, you need to blend in and use old fashioned stuff too.

That is pretty much star ocean.

R1CHO

They have different head shapes clearly. I doubt the MC's face always looks like that (it looks like his eyes are squinting) And I think it's just the distance (and angle) in each picture that makes it seem off. They'd probably look better up close. Regardless, I like the designs.

CCx9GVUUMAA2Zi7.jpg

(They look pretty normal in that picture IMO)

Is she wearing body paint instead of clothing?

AUUGyL5.png

Interesting.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
That is what the series has always been about. You are space explorers with technology beyond the wildest dreams of people today.

So you spend the entire game on some medieval planet where everybody uses swords and bows. Because of rules around interfering with growing civilisations, you need to blend in and use old fashioned stuff too.

That is pretty much star ocean.

So there's no travelling from planet to planet? Too bad :(

It's the shading that gets me. The shading on her nose, combined with the space between her eyes, makes it look like her nose stretches all the way to the top of her forehead. I shaded the area to try illustrating what I'm seeing.

iNNmHjU.jpg

zeox

I tried really hard to like SO4, but it just wouldn't let me. hopefully this will be better? This looks pretty nice, but I want to see some gameplay

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So there's no travelling from planet to planet? Too bad :(

3 had multiple planetary travels but it wasn't as prominent as 4, which allowed you to travel multiple planets with your spaceship.

I expect that 5 will also include planetary travels but not as prominent as 4.

galvenize

I've dwelled enough in anime land to not be bothered by that face. My concern is that the 3d model doesn't look like the 2d one at all. Her eyes aren't even on the same level.

Looks a lot better than SO4, way less creepy doll-esque. But the main thing for me will be whether the gameplay is gonna be any good. These guys have a tendency to overcomplicate things with frivolous mechanics.

Lol she has that classic tri-Ace arms apart stance. They really haven't figured out how to have a character stand still with their arms at their side, have they? What a hideous character.

Blobbers

MC's name should be Protagonisto Generico.

Or Protagonesium Generix. Or Plainman Noninterestix. The "cool" factor in his name is still there but it jives more with his character design.

Koozek

Man, these faces and character designs :( Right up there with XCX. A shame, as the rest looks pretty decent.
The only JRPG with character design I like nowadays is Persona 4 and so far also 5. I can only shake my head at 98% of the rest.

benzy

Main character looks fine. The heroine model is an abomination though especially when her 2D art is pretty good.

StarOcean5_00-635x827.jpg

Shahed

The guy looks fine. I actually like his design. The girl, not so much. I thought it might have been just that one shot but if anything her face looks even weirder in the other picture. It's like they're trying to make her look too cute to fit the little sister trope.The other woman with green drill hair? Her face is actually fine. Her clothing? Not a fan. The checkered design is one thing, but they could have covered up her rear a bit more. It'll be in my face whenever I control her, so chances are i won't.

The general design of the areas seem pretty nice

Edit: Just seen the art picture. Yeah the Heroine looks fine there. It just hasn't translated well to a 3D model. Now the young girl already looks like she might be annoying just from the art alone. I hope I'm proven wrong!

Top Bottom