• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

All I know is that someone like Akihiko Kimura (Emerald Dragon) would do more interesting character designs that could have sex appeal without going overboard. The conditions for illustrators/character designers working in video games, whether as employees or contractors, aren't always worth some individuals' time and paycheck, though. SO5, extrapolating from the Dengeki press interview, looks to be a reaction against its prequel, returning to roots in hopes of proving tri-Ace can make a quality series installment first before experimenting later. Reason I'm less interested than should be the case is that it seems they're catering to Japanese fans in a way that could preclude Western interest, assuming the arguments over visual style represent our confusion. I hope they can at least improve facial expressions and dialogue to remedy the issues everyone talks about for SO4.

Valorant

Neo Member
I must be the only one here to wait this game just to hear Sakuraba's insane battle tracks again...
SO4's soundtrack was a bit weak, but I'm still hopeful.

The female character design is actually pretty solid. But the male character just looks like some stock shooter hero.

triaceuqll2.png

A JRPG starring James Franco, that would be nuts

ubercheez

Reason I'm less interested than should be the case is that it seems they're catering to Japanese fans in a way that could preclude Western interest

Conversely, I'm more interested because they're not trying to Westernize the game.

You're welcome to be turned off by this game, but the argument that JRPGs need to be more West-friendly is kind of frustrating to me. There are tons of West-friendly games, and JRPGs these days are a pretty small niche. Let us have our niche!

I may think the main girl has a severe case of wallface, but other than that I'm all about the aesthetic. I love games that are willing to go for the crazy character designs rather than play it safe, and I have zero issue with anime-style faces in realistic environments (yeah yeah, avatar quote).

I'm really hoping P5 and SO5 show that there's still a market for semi-high budget RPGs other than FF.

Top Bottom