• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront - All 9 launch MP modes detailed

Are any of these single player mission modes new?

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/features/missions

Is Battles their version of botzone? I was hoping they'd still have bot options for the multiplayer modes but I guess not.

From the description battles sounds just like Survival without the waves and with some AI on your side. Would be really great if you can play any multiplayer mode with bots but you know that ain't gonna happen.

cjp

From the description battles sounds just like Survival without the waves and with some AI on your side. Would be really great if you can play any multiplayer mode with bots but you know that ain't gonna happen.

Ah. Oh well, maybe this will scratch that single player itch!

I wonder if it will just be TDM style or objective based and if so, whether you'll be able to customise match length, win conditions etc.

Thanks.

NastyBook

Cargo
A thrilling tug-of-war experience for fans of Star Wars and capture the flag gameplay. Cargo challenges your team to capture valuable cargo boxes from the opposing team. Get the loot and make your way back to your base – but don’t forget to defend your own precious cargo as each capture counts.
Reminds me of Supply Drop from Killzone 1. Good times.

Halabane

So, only two 20 vs 20 maps?

Or are there more than 1 Walker Assault/Supremacy mode?

Like, is it 1 map per mode?

The way its worded now, if someone knows better PLEASE correct me, its

MAP = MODE

So you don't play capture the flag type of game on with the walker map.

So you have 1 mode assigned to one individual map and one map only. Ping me if I am wrong.

PrankT

I want no part of Cargo mode as Capture the Flag is one of my least favorite game types in any FPS.

But... let me at Fighter Squadron and Supremacy! Those 2 sound amazing!!!
Same. Supremacy will be my primary focus and Fighter Squadron for some X-Wing nostalgia.

Stiler

I wish they had more heroes/villains so that the heroes vs villains mode you would be a hero the entire match rather then have non-heroes mixed in with it.

Like 10 vs 10 with all iconic star wars heroes/villains.

Live by the gonk, die by the gonk.

I really enjoyed Walker Assault in the beta (despite the balancing issue) so I hope it's on more than just the Hoth (and Endor?) map.

majik13

So are we to assume that each mode will likely work on more or less 4 maps each?

Like WA/Supremacy will likely use the same maps across the 4 planets. With small variations/boundaries between the 2 modes.

The smaller modes like Blast/Hero Hunt/Droid Run will use totally different smaller maps across the 4 planets.

And then maybe 4 different midsize maps on each planet.

So..
4 Large scale maps, for large scale modes
4 mid size maps, for mid size modes
4 small close quarters maps, for small team modes

Making a total of "12 maps".

Toxi

Banned
I wish they had more heroes/villains so that the heroes vs villains mode you would be a hero the entire match rather then have non-heroes mixed in with it.

Like 10 vs 10 with all iconic star wars heroes/villains.
Like Battlefront 2 Mos Eisley.

10 vs 10 TDM? Maaaan why not 40 players with something like 10 vs 10 vs 10 vs 10?

Yup. Exactly what i was thinking. I don't always want to play Walker Assault and then i'd rather just play Team DM. Why not all 40 players? These maps are big enough for it.

Voidwolf

MAP = MODE

So you have 1 mode assigned to one individual map and one map only. Ping me if I am wrong.

I don't believe that's the case, we know for sure that there are at least two maps for Walker Assault - Hoth and Endor. If you read the description they put up for the Blast (10v10 TDM) gametype they specifically said it would take place on smaller, tweaked versions of the maps. Hoth was listed as an example. So there should be multiple maps per mode, and I expect there will be several variations of each map in order to accommodate each gametype's needs.

Halabane

Did season passes usually give you two weeks head start in the past? Don't think black ops is doing this. Least I didn't see it. That's a long time.

Guys, Supremacy isn't Conquest, it's Chainlink/Supply Lines/TF2 CP.

The real question is what are the Rebels going to use for ground attack vehicles, since this game only seems to cover original trilogy onward?

Halabane

I don't believe that's the case, we know for sure that there are at least two maps for Walker Assault - Hoth and Endor. If you read the description they put up for the Blast (10v10 TDM) gametype they specifically said it would take place on smaller, tweaked versions of the maps. Hoth was listed as an example. So there should be multiple maps per mode, and I expect there will be several variations of each map in order to accommodate each gametype's needs.

Ok. I have been looking for details and when I saw this thread I thought maybe dice had spilled out some stuff. But it really there was nothing there. I still think we are guessing and hoping for things versus knowing for sure what we are getting. Feels like buying a season pass for future content when the game is out in a month.

Starviper

I really wish they would give more details on the maps / modes thing, this is what is confusing me the most.

Also, does Jakku count towards the 12 or is there going to be 1 big/medium/small Jakku map in addition to the 12?

majik13

MAP = MODE

I think the consensus is that each mode will be playable on each planet. So 4 maps for each mode.

There is likely a large scale map per planet
Then a small scale map in a different location on each planet
And maybe a mid size map, or as some have suggested a different map for missions, on each planet.

Totaling 12 maps.

I really wish they would give more details on the maps / modes thing, this is what is confusing me the most.

Also, does Jakku count towards the 12 or is there going to be 1 big/medium/small Jakku map in addition to the 12?

considering it releases after launch I believe, I think it doesn't count towards the 12 maps. And I hope every mode is playable on Jakku, and not just its own single TDM or special mode.

Edit: Looks like Jakku adds 2 maps on the planet. So I am guessing 1 large scale map, and 1 mid to small size map.

-2 maps set on the all-new planet of Jakku
http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/jakku-pre-order-offer

Does anyone know how many maps this is shipping with? I really hope the map design is on point.

Since most of the gametypes are small team focused, I hope they arent just making 10-12 bug maps and making small playable areas for smaller gametypes. That doesnt work in BF4 and it wont work here.

Hopefully its like 4-5 large maps and 6-7 small ones. At least.

Toxi

Banned
The real question is what are the Rebels going to use for ground attack vehicles, since this game only seems to cover original trilogy onward?
For the previous two Battlefront games they just made up vehicles.

Combat Landspeeder
Rebel_Combat_Speeder.png

AAC-1 Hovertank
latest

Voidwolf

Ok. I have been looking for details and when I saw this thread I thought maybe dice had spilled out some stuff. But it really there was nothing there. I still think we are guessing and hoping for things versus knowing for sure what we are getting. Feels like buying a season pass for future content when the game is out in a month.

I was looking for the page where I read the description for the Blast mode so I could link it for you but I couldn't find it. The official website doesn't do a great job of relaying all the info one would like to read I'm afraid.

Anyway here it is. Specifically, this part:

“One battle you’ll be fighting within interior levels on Endor or Sullust. In the next battle, you might find yourselves among Tatooine’s dusty canyons, or inside the undeniably cool Ice Caves on Hoth. My favorite is the verticality of Tatooine, fighting by the Sandcrawler.”

To keep the action dense in this close-quarters mode, the Blast maps are not as vast as in other game modes. You should know that they are all specifically designed for the specific game mode in mind; in other words, these aren’t just smaller versions of maps used elsewhere. Brännvall notes that this variation is crucial and something that can be noticed in other ways too:

“Say you've just played Walker Assault mode on Hoth and then switched to Blast, still on Hoth. Thanks to variations in lighting and time of day, you'll definitely see a difference.”

todahawk

I think the consensus is that each mode will be playable on each planet. So 4 maps for each mode.

There is likely a large scale map per planet
Then a small scale map in a different location on each planet
And maybe a mid size map, or as some have suggested a different map for missions, on each planet.

Totaling 12 maps.

considering it releases after launch I believe, I think it doesn't count towards the 12 maps. And I hope every mode is playable on Jakku, and not just its own single TDM or special mode.

Edit: Looks like Jakku adds 2 maps on the planet. So I am guessing 1 large scale map, and 1 mid to small size map.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/jakku-pre-order-offer

FWIW saw some concept art on the Battlefront PS4 preview area of Jakku that had Walkers behind a crashed Star Destroyer.

ryanofcall

Sounds great!
Happy to see a dogfight mode :3

Soooo will there be some kind of Co-op option for Battle / Hero Battle mode? Or are these competitive only?

Halabane

I was looking for the page where I read the description for the Blast mode so I could link it for you but I couldn't find it. The official website doesn't do a great job of relaying all the info one would like to read I'm afraid.

Anyway here it is. Specifically, this part:

Yeah. I am thinking the best bet for me is to wait after launch and see what happens. Way to many games this season to sink time into and "if this is not the game I am looking for" there will be others. txs

Top Bottom