• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront II |BETA| Execute Pre-Order 66

I got a little time in the beta last night, despite my provincial move and unpacking. I definitely see several improvements over the original. Overall the game obviously felt alot more balanced with alot more content.

I'm a fan of the changes for unlocking reinforcements/ "tanks"/ "aerial support". Acting as a gunner in the clonetrooper ship was alot of fun. I felt the objective play was alot like what I saw in the Call of Duty: WWII beta, I'm not sure it worked as well though. Being in the droid army I'm not sure that anytime I reached the palace on Naboo, that my team was ever able to detonate what was inside the palace without being slaughtered first.

The space battles are still where the fun is at largely, the controls seemed a little more finicky but once I got a better handle of things I maxed out the beta cap in one solid round of space battles. It could of also helped that I unlocked Boba Fett's ship and took out several objective goals and a bunch of other players online.

Overall I'm very pumped for this game, I'm not looking forward to all the micro transaction bullshit and I probably will eventually get a seasons pass for the extra maps/ heroes and thats also a piss off, but its EA and expected.

^^ No season pass / paid heroes / maps / DLC.

Man, the music that plays at the end of the Starfighter Assault map when the Rebels are about to win is fucking ace. Gets me so hyped.

prag16

Banned
I probably will eventually get a seasons pass for the extra maps/ heroes and thats also a piss off, but its EA and expected.

That's the silver lining here with the loot box bullshit... add-on content will be free (maps/heroes/modes/etc).

Though it remains to be seen how much such content there will be. It stands to reason probably less than what was in the season pass for the first game, but to be fair, this game is launching with a ton more content than the first one did.

Ok so I've been playing more since the beta got extended and while I still wish the gunplay felt a lot different and more similar to the first, I am starting to get better at it and am finding my stride. It's pretty fun and while I think Theed is a bad map, I could see this being awesome on better maps. And seeing as we'll have 13 galactic assault maps to choose from as well as a bunch of small maps too for strike and heroes vs. Villains... I'm pretty excited to see how those hold up.

Still need the gunplay tweaked a bit and the blaster bolts DEFINITELY need to at least be bigger but yeah... With some tweaks this could be great.

Bummed about the P2W micro transaction bullshit. But apparently in a leaked video of Kamino gameplay there is a newer version of it shown that isn't as bad? Idk.

Starfighter Assault is still fucking rad though. I'm pretty good at it now and playing as a bomber is great fun. Excited to try other maps of this as they seem to all have their own objectives and unique scenarios.

TitusTroy

what are some tips to getting high point totals early in the Starfighter Assault map?...by the time I get close to 2500 points the match is pretty much over

HariKari

what are some tips to getting high point totals early in the Starfighter Assault map?...by the time I get close to 2500 points the match is pretty much over

Hang in the back at minimum speed as the bomber and pick people off. Attack objectives like the cruisers/blockade runners and the turrets.

The Y wing is the best ship by far. Kinda messed up.

Hang in the back at minimum speed as the bomber and pick people off. Attack objectives like the cruisers/blockade runners and the turrets.

I actually think the Tie Bomber is the best since it has that power that can lock on to multiple targets at once and fire missiles at all of them. I clean up with the Tie Bomber.

TitusTroy

this has helped a lot...I never realized playing as the Bomber was so powerful...I thought that because they were so slow that they weren't as good but I was wrong...finally got the Millennium Falcon Power Up

Raide

After playing a good few rounds of Strike, I kinda wish this game had CTF in it. The mode is basically 1 Flag CTF and I have already had a few good clutch moments during overtime. Mode feels good, especially if the squad works together.

XAE1uMO.gif

Raw footage of a Clone execution at the hands of the CIS.

It's so funny when the doors close on them and they can't get out. 'HELP US' akin to Rogue One.

TitusTroy

in Starfighter Assault when using the Slave One power-up ship it's a bit tricky because the way the ship is positioned it blocks your view

Raide

XAE1uMO.gif

Raw footage of a Clone execution at the hands of the CIS.

It's so funny when the doors close on them and they can't get out. 'HELP US' akin to Rogue One.

Hearing the Saber sound but not sure where it is, is truly terrifying. Saying that, saw Maul dive into a group of 5 heavies who instantly mashed him up haha.

After spending a bunch of time in the beta, I think the biggest takeaway for me is how good Starfighter Assault is. They have absolutely nailed it. I quite liked the mode in the 2015 game, but there is so much more to do in it this time around, and everything from the controls to the density of the map just makes it feel a lot more like the movies. I also find it a lot easier to rack up kills compared to the previous game. Can't wait to see footage of the other space maps.

Regarding the other modes, I have enjoyed those too, but I think there are some obvious areas where they can improve it. For instance, the gunplay feels like it could be tweaked slightly, as well as the hero system.

Overall, I would say my experience with the beta has been pretty positive. Whilst I think the ground based gameplay needs a little tweaking, I am still having a bunch of fun, and will be excited to see how it evolves. As for Starfighter Assault, I would buy the game just for that.

After spending a bunch of time in the beta, I think the biggest takeaway for me is how good Starfighter Assault is. They have absolutely nailed it. I quite liked the mode in the 2015 game, but there is so much more to do in it this time around, and everything from the controls to the density of the map just makes it feel a lot more like the movies. I also find it a lot easier to rack up kills compared to the previous game. Can't wait to see footage of the other space maps.

Regarding the other modes, I have enjoyed those too, but I think there are some obvious areas where they can improve it. For instance, the gunplay feels like it could be tweaked slightly, as well as the hero system.

Overall, I would say my experience with the beta has been pretty positive. Whilst I think the ground based gameplay needs a little tweaking, I am still having a bunch of fun, and will be excited to see how it evolves. As for Starfighter Assault, I would buy the game just for that.

Starfighter Assault has only gotten better after I got more and more understanding of the controls. It's insane to do all kind of spins in between the architecture of the shipyard. I probably screamed 'Now THIS is podracing' once.

The bombers seem to be a bit on the strong side though. The Falcon packs a punch for sure but you're completely reliant on allies to get people off your back, but I can't communicate with them. The infiltrator on the other hand, boy oh boy, you're nimble and pack a punch and you have that 'get out of jail' card if you're in a tight spot. Sadly his other ability (dark energy..?) made a quarter of my screen entirely red.

Starfighter Assault has only gotten better after I got more and more understanding of the controls. It's insane to do all kind of spins in between the architecture of the shipyard. I probably screamed 'Now THIS is podracing' once.

The bombers seem to be a bit on the strong side though. The Falcon packs a punch for sure but you're completely reliant on allies to get people off your back, but I can't communicate with them. The infiltrator on the other hand, boy oh boy, you're nimble and pack a punch and you have that 'get out of jail' card if you're in a tight spot. Sadly his other ability (dark energy..?) made a quarter of my screen entirely red.

Haha I think I have had similar reactions. It just feels so much better. Dog fighting whilst weaving around the star destroyer clamps or through the tunnels is amazing. I also love the work they have done on the sound. Also after getting used to the controls, there are still occasions where I skirt to close to something trying to lose someone, and I am kinda on edge lol. I think it works so well because it offers an amazing power fantasy.

Also, I am hoping we get a Rogue One season of DLC.

Jyn Erso and Krennic.
Scarif Shield Gate - Starfighter Assault.
Scarif Beach - Galactic Assault.

It would be really cool to see the space battle in particular, since I think they could now the map much closer to the experience in the film.

Though it remains to be seen how much such content there will be. It stands to reason probably less than what was in the season pass for the first game, but to be fair, this game is launching with a ton more content than the first one did.
I hope they go full game as a service with this one and add all the heroes, vehicles, planets and content we wish for into the existing framework.

With the lootbox-system in place they could go this route IF the game is a success. Should make them enough money.

TitusTroy

the more I play Starfighter Assault the more I really like it...they really nailed the feeling of being in a TIE or Rebel fighter...once you get a grasp of the handling and mechanics it's a lot of fun...I can now pretty much regularly get the first tier of Hero power-ups (Slave One or Millennium Falcon) but Tier 2 is still a challenge...I'm debating whether to buy the game for the Starfighter Assault mode alone along with Single Player...the Galactic Assault mode doesn't really do it for me

Also, I am hoping we get a Rogue One season of DLC.

Jyn Erso and Krennic.
Scarif Shield Gate - Starfighter Assault.
Scarif Beach - Galactic Assault.

It would be really cool to see the space battle in particular, since I think they could now the map much closer to the experience in the film.

I read somewhere that Scarif references have been found when the beta was datamined. I mean, we got Bossk back for crying out loud.. why not add Jyn and Krennic later on?

HariKari

I actually think the Tie Bomber is the best since it has that power that can lock on to multiple targets at once and fire missiles at all of them. I clean up with the Tie Bomber.

Y wing has a repair and an escape with the auto-aiming ion turret. You can kite someone easily with the turret while dodging and repairing. Also has a lot of HP and shields. That's a lot better than a temporary jammer and the extra missiles IMO.

The interceptor, especially on the imperial side, is terrible. It can barely kill something in one pass. The A wing is like twice as good with the same cards, it makes zero sense. Criterion/DICE put way too much value into speed and maneuverability when the gameplay really doesn't reward that as much. The furball rewards survivability and burst damage.

Calabi

I dont know with this game. I really like the space battles, but the ground battles feel really slow and clunky, and the graphics are muddy as hell.

Luke Skywalker voice lines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaKqs5XxiUQ
Confirms Bossk at 0:40. Also has references to Darth Maul. "One lightsaber...two blades"

Yoda lines, also refers to Bossk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJI6U8gB7nk

Kylo Ren lines, some entertaining ones referring to Yoda. Lots directly referencing Rey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db9NsZJjcNs

I like the VA's they got for all of these.

Edit: YES the Deathtroopers have the scrambled voices from Rogue One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXn-Adclwy4

LoveCake

Going to keep at this BETA now they have extended it, they should though be updating it so it reflects the release game more I think, I am still on the fence on getting this and canceling my pre-order, people seem to be more positive towards this in the last couple of pages, I don't know if this is due to the reports that the items in the loot-boxes in the BETA is not representative in the actual game, but can EA/DICE/Criterion be trusted, why have they not come out and categorically stated this and also given examples of the loot-box costs, items contained and crafting requirements?

I don't want to cancel my pre-order because I will lose the bonuses I have got on the pre-order and this will put me further behind, I am also worried about not getting in at the start because with the modifications to weapons and armor getting in a few months down the line the game will be impossible, I worry this will impact the longevity of the game.

Having played some more of the beta, while it is something that fun can be had with, i really don't think they've actually listened to the complaints about the first game's lack of depth. The actual content additions are definitely an improvement over BF2015 and the game still looks absolutely amazing, but despite their claims of having addressed the complaints about the actual gameplay, it's still an extremely arcadey experience without much substance to it.

I think they've entirely missed the problem of the lack of depth with the previous game. The issue of depth wasn't to do with the weapons and how the combat felt, it was the lack of teamwork and systems to encourage that. There are some slight additions made since BF2015 that obviously imply that want more teamwork, but they aren't enough to actually solve that problem. The gameplay feels like you're mostly on your own where your actions aren't really of much benefit to anyone but yourself, without any need to actually work together as a team or ways in which you can help your team overall.

Problems with the class system

The class system doesn't seem to quite get what the point of a class system in this style of game should be there for. They've added a few classes, which either way is a step in the right direction, but how they've been done does not fit in with what the classes in the original games or Battlefield are there for and what they're all about. With those other games, the class you choose is not simply the loadout you've chosen and how you want to play, but it also defines what you're going to be doing to help the team. You had the trooper class that was your basic mainstay combat role, the shock-trooper that was the dedicated anti-tank class that without you weren't going to do much against vehicles (although there were turrets and your own vehicles to help), the engineer that was a close-range support that could repair.

With the new Battlefront 2 though, the classes are the sort that are more along the lines of a loadout and just choosing how you want to play. Outside of the officer class which has buffs for teammates, they aren't really any classes that are more of less needed than the others, it's just you choosing how you want to play. Instead of "What role does the team need at the moment?" and "How do I want to help the team?" being a consideration (e.g. vehicles everywhere so you go anti-tank), it's just "What loadout do i want?".

Problems with the way vehicles are handled

Vehicles appear more often than the previous game and that's great, but they aren't handled well at all. The game treats them as more of a temporay power-up that's intended to make one player more powerful for a while, rather than a critical part of the team. It doesn't feel like they're integreated in a way that gives much thought to creating a proper combined-arms style gameplay, vehicles feel like they're just there and are secondary to the infantry classes, yet at the same time the infantry doesn't feel like it's really equipped properly with the lack of any real anti-tank. It makes it feel like they've just been shoved into the game without much consideration.

You can't get out of any vehicles without them suddenly exploding or you just teleporting out of them, which means there's been no thought at all given to teamwork and treating them like anything beyond a one-life single-use thing just for you. Vehicles can only be repaired by a timed ability, rather than needing an engineer class or having to get out do fix things. They have no sort of ammo or secondary mechanics to make them feel like they need you to really think about what you're doing either. All those mean it doesn't feel like both the infantry and vehicle gameplay are important gameplay elements that complement each other.

The game doesn't seem to be able to decide if it wants to be immersive or not

As well as all that there's the mixed messages they've sent about immersion. They've said that immersion and authenticity is a big part of the game, and with the previous game that entailed even getting the original props to scan in and things like that. To go to those lengths to create an immersive experience, and then basically just throw that out by having weapons in era's that don't belong in, heroes in every era and silly emotes seems a bit disingenuous to me. It's like saying "We're going to create an immersive game but we're not really going to take that seriously and we'll purposefully shove in things that break that immersion"

Summary

I've seen some people say things like "Well the originals didn't have much depth either!", but that is really missing the problem and i think just completely obfuscating things to make it seem like it's not quite as bad as it is. The issue is not that the game is just an arcadey experience as the originals were not some hardcore FPS where you had to aim perfectly and all that, it's that it's so arcadey that it results in gameplay that overall feels like there's no synergy with the team and with so many smaller gameplay mechanics that are nowhere to be found which in other games like this add just that little bit more depth and complexity. It's arcade-y to the point where it feels like it doesn't create a coherent experience that matters.

Basically, there's not as much of a cohesive combined-arms, team-oriented experience compared to the originals. That was what was missing with BF2015 and here it's like they've tried to add stuff to help with that, without realizing what was actually missing. There are lots of things in the original games that built up to create something with some teamwork and depth to it. The original game had things like ammo and healing with players making use of medical and ammo droids placed around the map or from player drops of small boosts, it had classes in the game that weren't simply loadouts as they had actual purposes and were oriented for teamwork-based roles like anti-tank for the shock-trooper and repairing vehicles with the engineer, it had multi-crew vehicles that meant players had to work together to use them properly and they were more of an integrated part of combined-arms gameplay where they weren't ultimately irrelevant single-life powerups for one player that were overshadowed by the infantry focused gameplay, it had transport vehicles like landspeeders and speederbikes because the maps weren't some tiny place and they had more of a sense of scale, it had equipment with limited uses so you couldn't spam and had to re-arm etc.

For the most part, the actual combat is a pretty good update to the gameplay of the original games and is still along the right sort of lines with that, but the overall experience provided by the game is lacking and doesn't seem to understand what's needed to be a proper Battlefront experience. It's like it has the basic elements needed there, but they're not integrated together in a way that creates a proper team battle with large scales and both vehicles, infantry and heroes being important, which was what the game's were all about. There's smaller issues that bring it down like the lack of any actual squads as well. It doesn't live up to the originals because it's being far too broad and not considering how to create a proper teamwork-based game and leaving it far too basic in the level of interaction it provides with other players.

Basically the core gameplay is sort of there but the game overall misses the mark because it's lacking a lot of the smaller important mechanics that are needed to create a proper battlefront game; it doesn't encourage teamwork. There are changes from BF2015 that seem to wantto encourage teamwork but it's still missing what's actually added what's needed to properly allow it. It for the most part feels like you're on your own and not working together as a team or helping other players. It's missing a lot of things that combine to create more of a cohesive combined-arms game that the originals and Battlefield have.

Overall it feels far too simple and like there's not much thought put into adding much depth to it and the changes they've made seem to not understand what the problem with BF2015 was. The lack of depth with BF2015 wasn't to do with the weapons, it was the lack of teamwork the gameplay systems allowed.

watership

in Starfighter Assault when using the Slave One power-up ship it's a bit tricky because the way the ship is positioned it blocks your view

That ship seems to be useless to me. I would rule in the previous game when I got that power up. Now? I can barely do anything of note, outside the seismic charge. The Millennium Falcon is a beast tho.

adj_noun

So many durn games of Starfighter Assault where the "MVP" was some dingbat on the other team who spent the whole game randomly dogfighting while we were taking down their objectives.

Did they say anything about how guns will work in the final game? Every faction seems to have a unique default weapons but then the ones you unlock are available to every faction for that class. Will those defaults be usable cross faction? Will they get upgrades? Are there more than 2 guns per class?

So many durn games of Starfighter Assault where the "MVP" was some dingbat on the other team who spent the whole game randomly dogfighting while we were taking down their objectives.

This game tries it's best at making sure you're heavily rewarded for avoiding the objective, lol.

TitusTroy

I love it when I'm playing Starfighter Assault and I get a Hero ship and I do a 1v1 battle with the other Hero ship...I just finished a match where I was playing the Boba Fett Slave 1 ship and had an amazing 1v1 space battle against the Millennium Falcon...went on for 20-25 seconds but it was crazy intense and felt exactly like the movies...I was chasing him down the whole time, weaving in and out of other ships, firing blaster shots, cannon fire and seismic grenades at him...I did a lot of damage but alas was not able to finish him off...

only thing annoying about Hero ships/characters is that there's a max number that can be deployed in any given game...so if I get enough points and there are already 1 or 2 other players playing as Slave 1 then I have to wait until one of them dies before the game allows me to get back in

MrDaravon

I've been playing GA all night and have seen the attackers win once, and I wasn't on that team.

I swear to fucking god I want to win ONCE as the attackers holy shit. I am getting the most dogshit teammates of all time. I had one game on defense where I was first place and my SCORE was almost triple second place on my team.

SaylorMan

Summary

I've seen some people say things like "Well the originals didn't have much depth either!", but that is really missing the problem and i think just completely obfuscating things to make it seem like it's not quite as bad as it is. The issue is not that the game is just an arcadey experience as the originals were not some hardcore FPS where you had to aim perfectly and all that, it's that it's so arcadey that it results in gameplay that overall feels like there's no synergy with the team and with so many smaller gameplay mechanics that are nowhere to be found which in other games like this add just that little bit more depth and complexity. It's arcade-y to the point where it feels like it doesn't create a coherent experience that matters.

Basically, there's not as much of a cohesive combined-arms, team-oriented experience compared to the originals. That was what was missing with BF2015 and here it's like they've tried to add stuff to help with that, without realizing what was actually missing. There are lots of things in the original games that built up to create something with some teamwork and depth to it. The original game had things like ammo and healing with players making use of medical and ammo droids placed around the map or from player drops of small boosts, it had classes in the game that weren't simply loadouts as they had actual purposes and were oriented for teamwork-based roles like anti-tank for the shock-trooper and repairing vehicles with the engineer, it had multi-crew vehicles that meant players had to work together to use them properly and they were more of an integrated part of combined-arms gameplay where they weren't ultimately irrelevant single-life powerups for one player that were overshadowed by the infantry focused gameplay, it had transport vehicles like landspeeders and speederbikes because the maps weren't some tiny place and they had more of a sense of scale, it had equipment with limited uses so you couldn't spam and had to re-arm etc.

For the most part, the actual combat is a pretty good update to the gameplay of the original games and is still along the right sort of lines with that, but the overall experience provided by the game is lacking and doesn't seem to understand what's needed to be a proper Battlefront experience. It's like it has the basic elements needed there, but they're not integrated together in a way that creates a proper team battle with large scales and both vehicles, infantry and heroes being important, which was what the game's were all about. There's smaller issues that bring it down like the lack of any actual squads as well. It doesn't live up to the originals because it's being far too broad and not considering how to create a proper teamwork-based game and leaving it far too basic in the level of interaction it provides with other players.

Basically the core gameplay is sort of there but the game overall misses the mark because it's lacking a lot of the smaller important mechanics that are needed to create a proper battlefront game; it doesn't encourage teamwork. There are changes from BF2015 that seem to wantto encourage teamwork but it's still missing what's actually added what's needed to properly allow it. It for the most part feels like you're on your own and not working together as a team or helping other players. It's missing a lot of things that combine to create more of a cohesive combined-arms game that the originals and Battlefield have.

Overall it feels far too simple and like there's not much thought put into adding much depth to it and the changes they've made seem to not understand what the problem with BF2015 was. The lack of depth with BF2015 wasn't to do with the weapons, it was the lack of teamwork the gameplay systems allowed.

Nailed it. I actually think the new gunplay feels worse than BF2015, I was hoping they'd keep that super simple gunplay but build depth around that with interesting classes, mechanics and level design. But nope...

That Naboo map is not very interesting at all.

JaMarco

Having played some more of the beta, while it is something that fun can be had with, i really don't think they've actually listened to the complaints about the first game's lack of depth. The actual content additions are definitely an improvement over BF2015 and the game still looks absolutely amazing, but despite their claims of having addressed the complaints about the actual gameplay, it's still an extremely arcadey experience without much substance to it.

I think they've entirely missed the problem of the lack of depth with the previous game. The issue of depth wasn't to do with the weapons and how the combat felt, it was the lack of teamwork and systems to encourage that. There are some slight additions made since BF2015 that obviously imply that want more teamwork, but they aren't enough to actually solve that problem. The gameplay feels like you're mostly on your own where your actions aren't really of much benefit to anyone but yourself, without any need to actually work together as a team or ways in which you can help your team overall.

Problems with the class system

The class system doesn't seem to quite get what the point of a class system in this style of game should be there for. They've added a few classes, which either way is a step in the right direction, but how they've been done does not fit in with what the classes in the original games or Battlefield are there for and what they're all about. With those other games, the class you choose is not simply the loadout you've chosen and how you want to play, but it also defines what you're going to be doing to help the team. You had the trooper class that was your basic mainstay combat role, the shock-trooper that was the dedicated anti-tank class that without you weren't going to do much against vehicles (although there were turrets and your own vehicles to help), the engineer that was a close-range support that could repair.

With the new Battlefront 2 though, the classes are the sort that are more along the lines of a loadout and just choosing how you want to play. Outside of the officer class which has buffs for teammates, they aren't really any classes that are more of less needed than the others, it's just you choosing how you want to play. Instead of "What role does the team need at the moment?" and "How do I want to help the team?" being a consideration (e.g. vehicles everywhere so you go anti-tank), it's just "What loadout do i want?".

Problems with the way vehicles are handled

Vehicles appear more often than the previous game and that's great, but they aren't handled well at all. The game treats them as more of a temporay power-up that's intended to make one player more powerful for a while, rather than a critical part of the team. It doesn't feel like they're integreated in a way that gives much thought to creating a proper combined-arms style gameplay, vehicles feel like they're just there and are secondary to the infantry classes, yet at the same time the infantry doesn't feel like it's really equipped properly with the lack of any real anti-tank. It makes it feel like they've just been shoved into the game without much consideration.

You can't get out of any vehicles without them suddenly exploding or you just teleporting out of them, which means there's been no thought at all given to teamwork and treating them like anything beyond a one-life single-use thing just for you. Vehicles can only be repaired by a timed ability, rather than needing an engineer class or having to get out do fix things. They have no sort of ammo or secondary mechanics to make them feel like they need you to really think about what you're doing either. All those mean it doesn't feel like both the infantry and vehicle gameplay are important gameplay elements that complement each other.

The game doesn't seem to be able to decide if it wants to be immersive or not

As well as all that there's the mixed messages they've sent about immersion. They've said that immersion and authenticity is a big part of the game, and with the previous game that entailed even getting the original props to scan in and things like that. To go to those lengths to create an immersive experience, and then basically just throw that out by having weapons in era's that don't belong in, heroes in every era and silly emotes seems a bit disingenuous to me. It's like saying "We're going to create an immersive game but we're not really going to take that seriously and we'll purposefully shove in things that break that immersion"

Summary

100% agree with all this. I'm pretty much just getting the game for starfighter assault which is pretty good but suffers some of the same issues as galactic assault.

MrDaravon

Beta appears to be broken for me? All of my classes are at zero, I can't equip any of the guns or cards I have unlocked, and post game all of the MVP icons are completely blank; no name, score, anything.

The dream of winning in GA assault is dead :(

Top Bottom