• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront is going to be giving out new maps for free

Hasney

Neat. It does feel like they got as much content out as they could because they had to hit a date, so good for them to still pump out some free stuff and make it feel more complete. They could have quite easily decided for them to be DLC too.

Naudi

Banned
I would be happy with them just adding day/night for each map and weather. That would pad up the #s a lot.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Back to Karkand was kind of the same thing. I know they did something similar for 4 and Hardline as well I believe. I could be mistaken. Regardless I don't see any of this as a "we fucked up" situation, that's just silly. It sounds like they created a lengthy development doc and timeline to keep interest in the game for a long period of time. Much like they have with their games in the past. The one thing I'm wondering is how much more they're planning on delivering for free. The more content the better!

This.

Jakku is mentioned separately in the paragraph before this info, so the way its worded, is that on top of Jakku, there is more free stuff.

"...2 free maps on Jakku, and a new mode in 2 weeks..."
"Also, in the future...more free maps and cards in the coming months"

Yep.

Interesting - if they provide us something new each month between map-pack releases, it could go some way of keeping the game fresh and relevent.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Iced

Good move on their part. This is the time to be getting folks on board (before the movie launches).

2thepoint

Even though I am 100% buying this game, I think that publishers need to realize that this bullshit about multiplayer only focused titles with a big middle finger to anyone wanting a campaign is rubbished soon - I'm looking at you....Battlefront, Rainbow Six, Evolve, Titanfall.

What a just asinine practice and one that hopefully gets buried faster than online passes.

Except that is not how development works. But keep finding something where this is nothing GAF.

However, lets say for the sake of argument, this is what it is? Isn't this a fucking victory and always a good thing then? Always negative spin even in positive news. /sigh

Lol, what?
Its EA/DICE. People will always hate on them no matter what they do.

I want to see remakes of classics like Mos Eisley and Bespin: Cloud City remade in Frostbite as the free maps.

LowSignal

Even though I am 100% buying this game, I think that publishers need to realize that this bullshit about multiplayer only focused titles with a big middle finger to anyone wanting a campaign is rubbished soon - I'm looking at you....Battlefront, Rainbow Six, Evolve, Titanfall.

What a just asinine practice and one that hopefully gets buried faster than online passes.

I wouldn't mind multiplayer only if it was priced accordingly, Battlefront at $40 MSRP sound fair.

EGM1966

That'll be the maps they didn't finish in time to launch on time I presume?

I mean free maps is great news but launch release was definitely light on maps IMHO so for me this is somewhat a "well I should hope so" response.

Iced

But if the single player campaign is just gonna be rubbish anyway (see: BF3 and 4), why waste valuable time and money on one?

-griffy-

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if they have some Force Awakens content that they simply can't include in the game until the movie releases.

Wasp

The underwhelming sales are probably due to the 75 on Metacritic. This gesture is too late to change that.

I bet if EA had ditched the season pass and made all DLC maps free like Halo 5 the Metacritic score would be 5-10 points higher than it is now considering every review mentions the lack of content.

Theorry

You say the same thing about SP only games?
To be fair i get more hours for my money in MP only games then SP only games

Toa TAK

Banned
Thanks for posting this, OP. I missed out on it.

Glad they're adding more content, as much as the game is fun to play, the lack of variety is killing it right now.

Awesome news. I kind of expected them to follow their same model, but there was so much noise early no to even try and put people's thoughts into perspective.

To be fair, this is new for DICE Stockholm--there wasn't really any precedent for it. Only Visceral and DICE LA have added free content to Battlefield games, and even with DICE LA, it was far into the game's lifecycle.

If this was a part of the plan all along, they would have said so. Not shocked that they announce this AFTER the game has been on sale for a week.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Its EA/DICE. People will always hate on them no matter what they do.

I want to see remakes of classics like Mos Eisley and Bespin: Cloud City remade in Frostbite as the free maps.

True that.

And yes please! Especially Bespin! This engine would make it look amazing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Awesome news. I'm really enjoying the game and I hope this does some good into making people feel better about getting into it for the long run and having it not seem like a vessel for a season pass.

CHANC3

Neo Member
The problem with this game imo isn't the lack of maps, it's the incredibly shallow shooting mechanics. :(

Does anyone else agree with me on this?

I don't don't enjoy running around the map hip firing the entire time. Killing a storm trooper 200 yards or so away, without having to aim down the sights of your gun is just no fun. The chances of actually hitting someone like that should be next to impossible. In Battlefront, you can rack up headshots with zero problem from this distance using this method. That's just lame.

I'm so disappointed that it plays this way. I wish it was more like Battlefield.

Theorry

The problem with this game imo isn't the lack of maps, it's the incredibly shallow shooting mechanics. :(

I don't don't enjoy running around the map hip firing the entire time. Killing a storm trooper 200 yards or so away, without having to aim down the sights of your gun is just no fun. The chances of actually hitting someone like that should be next to impossible. In Battlefront, you can rack up headshots with zero problem from this distance using this method. That's just lame.

I'm so disappointed that it plays this way. I wish it was more like Battlefield.

Well. Lasers.

Yeah, if your issue is with the simple shooting mechanics, this won't solve that.

Hopefully for them it's not too little too late. I wanted the game but with a lack of content and not even a $50 off deal on the PS4 bundle for Black Friday I'm losing interest. Also maybe next time don't charge $50 for the other half of your game.

All of this should have been seen from a mile away.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Not with you, nope. This is exactly how Battlefront games have always been. Thank goodness this is not like Battlefield. That would alienate the average Star Wars fan who likes video games.

I want Battlefield, I will go play Battlefield.

Boke1879

Do people really think Devs make decisions reactionary like this?

Jakku was going to be free. This is them confirming We'll be getting free content in tandem with the Season pass.

Halabane

"We fucked up"

Yup. Give them credit for saying it. Course it helps to be honest when you don't meet sale projections. Which means you don't get bonuses. Metacritic probably already cost them a small mountain of cash. Give the guys at Bungie a call to borrow the crying towel. The good news for Dice is they will make it up after the movie comes out and all those parents blindly buying anything star wars.

Yes I am bitter on how they have put this game out without a campaign and little content.

Top Bottom