• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront is going to be giving out new maps for free

Savitar

Jabba the EA: Why are you not selling so much as expected!?

Lackey: But we are selling somewhat good.

Jabba the EA: I expected much more!

Lackey: But we did as said, people are upset that there are not more features and maps...

Jabba the EA: Then they buy the season pass!

Lackey: They don't want too.

Jabba the EA: INSOLENCE! KIlL THEM.

Lackey: We can't! They're our clients.

Jabba the EA: Fine, fine. Toss them a map or two to give them a taste. They will so fall into our clutches.

Lackey: Brilliant plan Master.

Jabba the EA: Ahahahahahahahaha pour money on me, oh yes, all the monies.

Bombless

It took months for the free maps to be released for Battlefield 4 and that was after the final season pass dlc had shipped. I wouldn't hold my breath for them.

thelastword

Banned
No singleplayer campaign, $60.00, bad sales (in reference to battlefront).... Want's people to buy a $50.00 season pass, that was never going to Jive. I'm pretty sure more maps will be free soon.

TheJerit

Great news. Also excited/curious to see what the first expansion will be.

You didn't like the game, that's fine. Some people though... yeesh....

HlUuuZP.gif

RK128

Cool, so they will be giving free content out in-between Season Pass Content releases.....good on DICE's part.

I heard that they did this with Battlefield 4 but its still nice seeing them listen to criticism and try to add more content to the game for free. That will go a long way in making Battlefront be more valued over time and thus not losing its audience.

Hope the free maps/content are quality and that people have fun with them :).

Hmm... colour me interested, but I think I'll still wait for a GoTY version this time next year with the base game, patches, updates, DLC and free content for half the price.

Nice!

For the most part, I'm pleased with the content. There's a solid number of game modes and unlockables. The game is pretty ambitious and was likely under a tight deadline. I'm just glad the game is stable and performs well while being very fun to boot.

DICE has released tons of maps for BF4 and has continued to support the game for some time. I expect DICE to do the same.

There price for the game is a joke. Just give me all the Ps2 and the snes game for 20 and I'll buy that. Can't even buy them together with the 70 dollar bf rip off edition. Really annoying.

At least with those games I get some single player.

Cool, so they will be giving free content out in-between Season Pass Content releases.....good on DICE's part.

I heard that they did this with Battlefield 4 but its still nice seeing them listen to criticism and try to add more content to the game for free. That will go a long way in making Battlefront be more valued over time and thus not losing its audience.

Hope the free maps/content are quality and that people have fun with them :).
Yeah, they listen to criticism so well they keep making the same mistakes. Men, hope there games keep under performing if they keep this shit up.

Bf isn't worth 60 and to ask for this price again is a joke. We want a deep and lush star wars world for a good price. Work on that and you'll get your money.

If they want to submit a real apology and offer the game for 40 and the season pass for 20 then I'm ready to buy.

Did anyone have an issue with how Splatoon handled its content? This seems somewhat similar. Trickle out content and keep interest going.
I did. Splatoon had the same issue Battlefront has. A lack of content. A lot of what the developers released after the launch of Splatoon was on disc. I can't say I was ever mad about their decision to trickle the stuff out, but I do feel like it made the launch of the game worse than it needed to be.

Splatoon is a much better game today then it was the day it released, and it could have been that great of a game from day one if not for that weird content model.
So, you think the promise of some free content isn't in response below forecast sales? Really?
Do you really think they could make the decision to create new content in the what, week since they realized that their sales were coming in lower then forecasted? Do you think they're going to push back the season pass content and make them start from scratch on entirely new free maps? This was almost certainly the plan since before the game launched.

joecanada

Based DICE. Just like they have for BF4. Cant wait to see what they have because this game really need more maps for the bigger modes.

I always hear this but I was in bf4 day one and I never noticed any additional maps than the ones I started with. Although I could barely play the broken ps4 edition so unsure if they snuck some in. There's only like 7-8 I can play though not sure how that be adding

Portugeezer

When they have to also develop Season Pass maps, I don't have high hopes for the free maps.

But hey, some free maps are better than no free maps... I guess.

Probably just maps they cut to make them look like good guys honestly. With these prices I have no trust. If they keep this up I'll never buy another ea game day one.

I'm definitely in for free stuff.

Bu the time premium maps come out I'll probably be fine to move on unless there are other major updates along with them like missions and more co-op.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Sigh. People who didn't buy the game, or have any intention of buying/playing are already shitting on the thread? I knew some people would spin this so it's still bad news.

What on earth do you people get for being bitter, annoying asshats? Negative GAF points? Attention? It's like, they're pissed that some people like a game they don't, and hence, they need to validate that their reasoning is right?

EA: Free maps and Star Cards...

Some on GAF: LOL! This is bad news! LOLOLOL! EA sux, game sux and all who like it suxx111!! I

On topic:

This is welcome news. Is it a reaction to the depth backlash? I don't think so, but regardless, this is welcome news. As long as we get more maps for Walker Assault and Supremacy, I'm all good.

Jabba the EA: Why are you not selling so much as expected!?

Lackey: But we are selling somewhat good.

Jabba the EA: I expected much more!

Lackey: But we did as said, people are upset that there are not more features and maps...

Jabba the EA: Then they buy the season pass!

Lackey: They don't want too.

Jabba the EA: INSOLENCE! KIlL THEM.

Lackey: We can't! They're our clients.

Jabba the EA: Fine, fine. Toss them a map or two to give them a taste. They will so fall into our clutches.

Lackey: Brilliant plan Master.

Jabba the EA: Ahahahahahahahaha pour money on me, oh yes, all the monies.

It's not selling somewhat good this game is selling like crazy where I live.

Sigh. People who didn't buy the game, or have any intention of buying/playing are already shitting on the thread? I knew some people would spin this so it's still bad news.

What on earth do you people get for being bitter, annoying asshats? Negative GAF points? Attention? It's like, they're pissed that some people like a game they don't, and hence, they need to validate that their reasoning is right?

EA: Free maps and Star Cards...

Some on GAF: LOL! This is bad news! LOLOLOL! EA sux, game sux and all who like it suxx111!! I

On topic:

This is welcome news. Is it a reaction to the depth backlash? I don't think so, but regardless, this is welcome news. As long as we get more maps for Walker Assault and Supremacy, I'm all good.
Their price model is simply bad. They are rubbing people the wrong way. It's not free maps imo, it's cut content. They are a business in get it but the game was rushed it is lacking in content. I hardly see what's free about it. People already paid 60, imo it's just part of the game. I can sell you a coat. Give you the sleeves and pockets later for free later

MechDX

Wonder is this will put EA off on putting up games on Access 5 days before release?

Lot of the negative reactions stemmed from that.

Rizific

its hilarious how something positive like this gets spun negatively by some who (for some reason) love to shit on the game.
"we'll give you some free maps"
"hurr durr you mean a not-map amirite?!"

Boke1879

I understand some people have issue with the game and DICE and EA, but honestly the constant shitting up threads over any news about this game is getting tiresome. The drive by posts and people jumping to conclusions as to why they are offering free maps is crazy.

People don't like the game. Fine but no need to come in and detract from the actual topic

Their price model is simply bad. They are rubbing people the wrong way. It's not free maps imo, it's cut content. They are a business in get it but the game was rushed it is lacking in content. I hardly see what's free about it. People already paid 60, imo it's just part of the game. I can sell you a coat. Give you the sleeves and pockets later for free later
Fuck off with that disingenuous "cut content" bullshit already. It's generally a waste of time and money to have something ready to go on disc and hold it back for DLC. Developers don't do this.

ryseing

I have a hard time believing this is cut content, especially since the dev cycle was so tight.

Dr Prob

Banned
Sounds good to me. If anything, it will be a reason to pop back in from time to time.

Fuck how is this a hardcore gamer site?

Awesome news. I kind of expected them to follow their same model, but there was so much noise early no to even try and put people's thoughts into perspective.

Not really sure what the second half of this post means, but I am intrigued as to how you foresaw DICE following "their same model" when the nearest thing to offering free content concurrent with paid season pass content is Visceral giving away two night versions of maps in Hardline.

Battlefield 3's Back to Karkand was free only if you purchased the game at launch, otherwise you paid for it on its own or as part of Premium. Same with Battlefield 4's China Rising, though that was only free with pre-orders as opposed to all launch copies.

Eventually (after the season pass content was exhausted) Battlefield 4 players did get a few free guns, a mode, a night version of an existing map and a "community-influenced" map; while this was all certainly welcome, it was also generally seen as at least partially a way to make up for a disastrous launch and to keep people in the ecosystem as, though Hardline (the next release) eventually did pretty well, it was clear that a significant portion of the player base wouldn't be transferring over to that game.

Also, go to bed Anton :D

I can see mistaking the smaller maps for just being portions of the bigger ones as some of them do have similar "main" features/areas, but they're different.

It's the first game I got a refund for on Origin. I felt like after 2-3 hours I had seen virtually everything important. If they put more content in I might buy it next year on sale.

Top Bottom