• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 confirmed in 2015, 8 and 9 to follow, new film every 2-3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

What are the chances of them easing back on the Jedi/lightsaber nonsense? I'd at least like to see more bounty hunters and smugglers in this new trilogy. I'm a bit bothered by how the SW universe seems to revolve around the Jedis and the force.

They need to scale back on Jedis period, let alone lightsabers. What made Jedis/Siths in the OT so fucking cool is that they were almost non-existant. This SMALL, mythical group of people that most people had never seen. Almost urban legends.

Then comes the PT and fucking everyone is a Jedi and they lost 100% of their cool factor. Luke being the last Jedi in ROTJ was dope. Seeing 100 of them in ROTS wasn't.

No more than 1-2 Jedi and 1 Sith in the ST, pls.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Then comes the PT and fucking everyone is a Jedi and they lost 100% of their cool factor. Luke being the last Jedi in ROTJ was dope. Seeing 100 of them in ROTS wasn't.
In a greater context - that whole direction of the PT made perfect sense, it's just the execution was awful, like everything about the PT.

They need to scale back on Jedis period, let alone lightsabers. What made Jedis/Siths in the OT so fucking cool is that they were almost non-existant. This SMALL, mythical group of people that most people had never seen. Almost urban legends.

What made Jedi lose their cool factor was the awful writing and horrible lightsaber choreography. Holy shit look at all those Jedi, so bad ass! *watches as tons fall over dead to stupid comedy battle droid fire*.....

Solo

I actually think it would be cool if there were no Jedis in Episode 7 until the climax when/if Luke Skywalker makes his appearance.

Hindle

Banned
I'm dissapointed they are continuing with Luke. I want a completey new start with a new focus or something like that.

Loxley

I agree. Sometimes I forget just how little Jedi-ing there actually is in A New Hope, and the OT in general.

I feel like all the Jedi stuff in the prequels was a case of "be careful what you wish for". Sure, I bet a ton of Star Wars fans thought it'd be the most badass thing in the world to see an army of Jedi like in Attack of the Clones, but it really did diminish their overall cool-factor.

I also like how no one ever even mentions Sith in the OT. I didn't know what that was supposed to mean until Ep 3 came out.

Solo

I feel like all the Jedi stuff in the prequels was a case of "be careful what you wish for". Sure, I bet a ton of Star Wars fans thought it'd be the most badass thing in the world to see an army of Jedi like in Attack of the Clones, but it really did diminish their overall cool-factor.

100% agreed, which I why I want to see

1 Master
1 Padawan
1 Sith

At the absolute MOST (they don't necessarily even need all three) in the ST.

Well, they did take place before the Purge, so there would be a whole lot more Jedis. As for the "cool factor", terrible writing, acting and execution made the Jedi's "cool factor" disappear.

Solo

No disagreements about them being horribly written and executed, but even had they been handled well, I still think few Jedi >>>> hundreds of Jedi.

shira

What made Jedi lose their cool factor was the awful writing and horrible lightsaber choreography. Holy shit look at all those Jedi, so bad ass! *watches as tons fall over dead to stupid comedy battle droid fire*.....
More jedi fast running and mind trix

No disagreements about them being horribly written and executed, but even had they been handled well, I still think few Jedi >>>> hundreds of Jedi.

I don't disagree with that. I think the idea of a council + a fairly small number of jedi "soldiers/officers" working with a larger government force is a good way to go.

Tookay

It'd be nice if the new movies could make Jedi special again through limited appearances (and bring back a good space battle or two), but I think it's going to be hard to restrain themselves after opening up Pandora's Box in the prequels. There were at least five major lightsaber fights in ROTS alone.

Cheerilee

Really? I swear I read confirmation. Oh well there is still hope. Pun intended :D

Lucas said decades ago that the sequels would be about a brand new character, and that Luke would reappear in those movies as an old man in an Obi Wan-like role, supporting the new character through at least the first movie, and Lucas told Mark Hamill that he could never play Old Luke because Hamill was too much of a babyface.

The big news is that Hamill is now old enough so that he can come back as a perfect Old Luke, and Disney wants to have him, and he wants to do it, so now they just need to iron out his contract. Same with Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. We don't even know what their roles are going to be in the new movies, but they already want those roles easily as much as we want to see them in those roles.

VertPin

Earlier in this topic I had said RotJ is my favorite. TBH, what was so great about ESB? I just...don't remember anything from it :/

Recon

Banned
Earlier in this topic I had said RotJ is my favorite. TBH, what was so great about ESB? I just...don't remember anything from it :/

Maybe the most iconic scenes from the Star Wars franchise? The hoth battle with snow speeders/Luke training with Yoda/Vader is luke's daddy? That film is like one long classic scene.

Tookay

ROTJ is my personal favorite, but ESB's easily the better film.

Best shot, best directed, best performances, best score, most mature...

It took the first film's pulpy conventions and turned it into something much weightier.

I still don't understand why people think that including Han, Luke, and Leia would cause problems. They don't need to be the main heroes of the story. Just look at the Harry Potter books and movies for an example of a modern fantasy series where the principle leads are really teenagers/young adults, but characters in their 60s, 70s, etc. still have an important role to play in the events that unfold. If Lucasfilm and Disney have a good story, then they won't just force the original trilogy characters into the plot for the sake of dumb fan service.

Solo

Everything? It's the best directed SW film, its the best written SW film, has the best performances from the actors, it has the best fight scenes in the series, it has the best cinematography, set design and costume design, it one of the greatest twists in film history, it has one of the greatest cliffhangers in film history. Everyone hit a creative zenith with ESB.

ROTJ has a neutered Han Solo and ends with fucking teddy bears in the forest singing kumbaya.

On ESB they were trying to make a great film; on ROTJ, they were trying to sell more toys.

I think a good way to handle this is to reverse the Luke/Han relationship from the original trilogy. Instead of having the main character be a jedi in training and handing the subplot to the pirate/cowboy, have the pirate/cowboy as the central protagonist with a young jedi (probably Luke's pupil) sent along to help him or her on their mission. That way you'd still hit your lightsaber duel quota without having it overpower the story.

I agree. Sometimes I forget just how little Jedi-ing there actually is in A New Hope, and the OT in general.

In fairness, ESB was at least 50% jedi-centric. People love jedi. The real problem with the prequels was that the jedi had no personality and they were so overpowered that they made all the gun-wielding characters look like chumps.

maharg

idspispopd

There is a general perception that things that are darker and grittier are better than things that aren't, all else equal. Also it completely lacks any kind of jawa-ewok-gungan nonsense.

But Yub Nub is so bad.

Far better than the primitive teddy bears suddenly forming into a coherent choir on top of being able to defeat an army that's about 8000 years ahead of them technologically.

Tookay

Far better than the primitive teddy bears suddenly forming into a coherent choir on top of being able to defeat an army that's about 8000 years ahead of them technologically.

Why can't the music be non-diegetic? You know, like every other piece of choral music in film?

It's not like there's a group singing off-camera during the Duel of Fates.

maharg

idspispopd
Why can't the music be non-diegetic? You know, like every other piece of choral music in film?

It's not like there's a group singing off-camera during the Duel of Fates.

I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure it's presented as them singing (gets quieter in cuts that move away from them, we see them playing instruments as in the original, etc). Quite a different situation. If there'd been a bunch of people in the background who looked like farm hands singing something in the background of Obi and Maul's duel I probably would have thought I was supposed to think they were singing Duel of the Fates.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Hate it if you want but the whole point was to be a sci-fi version of the Vietnamese essentially defeating America....

Cheerilee

So I just realized that Genndy Tartakovsky is currently working for Disney.

If he's not too busy, guess who I want to produce/direct the sequels?

Edit: Genndy Tartakovsky (creator of the Clone Wars cartoon) doesn't work for Disney, Craig McCracken (his frequent collaborator) does.

maharg

idspispopd
Hate it if you want but the whole point was to be a sci-fi version of the Vietnamese essentially defeating America....

So, I have a few issues with the Ewoks. Some of them on a purely intellectual level and some on a purely aesthetic level.

On an aesthetic level, they're teddy bears. It just looks dumb. The giant eyes and the childish motions. They're exploitive on a lot of levels. It's all just a bit too on the nose.

On an intellectual level, this whole Vietnamese thing doesn't make it ok. The technological gulf between the Vietnamese and the Americans put next to the gulf between the Empire and the Ewoks would be like the size of a spec of dust. That you can seriously portray the Vietnamese as that primitive and get away with it says some really fucked up things about American perceptions of the world around them, and especially of their enemies. It's really pretty insulting. Not to mention that the Vietnamese fought for decades to get foreign occupiers off their land and the Ewoks did it in about a day. But only when a bunch of quasi-Imperials came along to help them. It just smacks of Great White Hope syndrome in a way that Star Wars had somehow managed to avoid up to that point, unlike a lot of other SF.

And on top of all that, the whole plot is dumb and just gets in the way of an epic space battle and a really intense encounter between the characters who are most central to the moral questions of the series.

BocoDragon

So, I have a few issues with the Ewoks. Some of them on a purely intellectual level and some on a purely aesthetic level.

On an aesthetic level, they're teddy bears. It just looks dumb. The giant eyes and the childish motions. They're exploitive on a lot of levels. It's all just a bit too on the nose.

On an intellectual level, this whole Vietnamese thing doesn't make it ok. The technological gulf between the Vietnamese and the Americans put next to the gulf between the Empire and the Ewoks would be like the size of a spec of dust. That you can seriously portray the Vietnamese as that primitive and get away with it says some really fucked up things about American perceptions of the world around them, and especially of their enemies. It's really pretty insulting. Not to mention that the Vietnamese fought for decades to get foreign occupiers off their land and the Ewoks did it in about a day. But only when a bunch of quasi-Imperials came along to help them. It just smacks of Great White Hope syndrome in a way that Star Wars had somehow managed to avoid up to that point, unlike a lot of other SF.

And on top of all that, the whole plot is dumb and just gets in the way of an epic space battle and a really intense encounter between the characters who are most central to the moral questions of the series.

I don't necessarily disagree.. I will just say that it was actually one of the originating ideas of Star Wars if you look into the history. If it weren't for George Lucas saying.. "what if there were Vietnam... but in space!" there might not be a Star Wars at all, possibly. The Wookie battle as 'Nam-allegory was in the original story, but just didn't make the cut for the first film.

And also I do agree, this is the guy who made Red Tails in 2012... He has a kind of inherently white, upper class American look at some racial/historical issues that comes across as kind of naive :p Vietnamese as teddy bears? Why the fuck not, I guess :p

maharg

idspispopd
Also, now that I think about it, it's not even clear the Ewoks have much reason to fight. We're not shown that they have had any interactions, bad or good, with the Imperial troops. They seem exceptionally good at not being seen and the imperial footprint on the planet seems pretty minimal.

So in the end you get a much more Lawrence of Arabia kind of thing going on where Han and Leia lead a bunch of teddy bears to the slaughter for their own political gain. That's actually kind of grim.

jaxword

Also, now that I think about it, it's not even clear the Ewoks have much reason to fight. We're not shown that they have had any interactions, bad or good, with the Imperial troops. They seem exceptionally good at not being seen and the imperial footprint on the planet seems pretty minimal.

So in the end you get a much more Lawrence of Arabia kind of thing going on where Han and Leia lead a bunch of teddy bears to the slaughter for their own political gain. That's actually kind of grim.

And then their race is decimated when the Death Star debris finally falls from orbit.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I always thought they were originally intended to be Wookies, it would have made more sense for them overpowering imperials than ewoks, but it didn't work out for some reason.

Maybe they couldn't afford so much fur.

BocoDragon

Way to ruin ROTJ for me... damn.

jaxword

I always thought they were originally intended to be Wookies, it would have made more sense for them overpowering imperials than ewoks, but it didn't work out for some reason.

Maybe they couldn't afford so much fur.

They WERE intended to be Wookiees. Lucas was decided partway through that Ewoks would sell more merchandise.

Teddy Bears vs. grumpy yetis? Seems like he made the right choice.

You can even see in the name how they were a last minute change: EE-wok. Wook-EE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom