• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 confirmed in 2015, 8 and 9 to follow, new film every 2-3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reuenthal

Banned
ROTJ was awesome scenes in the emperor's room and some few other things but other than that its other parts (especially ewoks) were worse than even ROTS. However the good stuff is better than anything in the prequels. Overall a noticeable drop in quality not only from ESB but from the first film too. It's bad aspects were a sign of the future and of the prequels quality.

I always thought they were originally intended to be Wookies, it would have made more sense for them overpowering imperials than ewoks, but it didn't work out for some reason.

Maybe they couldn't afford so much fur.
The explanation I remember is that Wookies, through Chewbacca, ended up being portrayed as too technologically advanced for the original concept of 'primitive natives' fighting the Empire.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
CARRIE FISHER Damn Right I Wanna Be In the New 'Star Wars'

The upcoming Disney-owned "Star Wars" movie will star a much older Princess Leia ... at least if Carrie Fisher gets her way -- because the actress tells TMZ, she'd love to star in the next installment.

Carrie was at LAX yesterday when we asked if she'd accept a role in "Episode 7" -- currently in development at Disney -- and she said, "Yes. Sure. Wouldn't you?"

It would make sense too -- because "Episode 7" would follow "Return of the Jedi" in the Stars Wars timeline, meaning Leia could conceivably be a lot older in the new movie.

Carrie also said Disney low-balled George Lucas with its $4.05 billion deal -- saying he should've gotten about $500 million more.

andycapps

How about J. J. Abrams. He did, after all, direct the best Star Wars movie since ESB.

I'd be okay with that. I don't see it happening, but I'd be okay with it. Basically, I know what I'd get out of a JJ Abrams Star Wars movie and while it might not be perfect for how I'd want to see Star Wars, it'd be much better than anything Lucas shat out in the prequels.

The old cast returning is very likely at this point. Only thing they need to do now is get in shape for it.

TREADMILL.jpg

Metalmarc

People Make fun of the age of harrison, fisher and hamill if they show interest of showing up in this one

and YET

Peter Cushing
Alec Guiness
Christopher Lee
Ian McDiarmid

and uncle owen and aun beru, (im not that much of a nerd to know their names sorry, and neither am i going to wikipedia it for this argument maybe afterwards) im sure there are more too

were all older UNmasked actors/actress and of all of those Alec Guiness being the most important in a New Hope

that is all

Darklord

Banned
People Make fun of the age of harrison, fisher and hamill if they show interest of showing up in this one

and YET

Peter Cushing
Alec Guiness
Christopher Lee
Ian McDiarmid

and uncle owen and aun beru, (im not that much of a nerd to know their names sorry, and neither am i going to wikipedia it for this argument maybe afterwards) im sure there are more too

were all older UNmasked actors/actress and of all of those Alec Guiness being the most important in a New Hope

that is all

But they weren't originally portrayed as the young farm boy, the beautiful princess and the dashing rogue. They'll need to do some serious character changes to make them fit. Or it'll be another Indy 4.

antonz

and YET

Peter Cushing
Alec Guiness
Christopher Lee
Ian McDiarmid

that is all
Ian McDiarmid wasn't old when he first played Palaptine :p

But they weren't originally portrayed as the young farm boy, the beautiful princess and the dashing rogue. They'll need to do some serious character changes to make them fit. Or it'll be another Indy 4.

All young farm boys, beautiful princesses and dashing rogues grow old. You can keep the core of their character the same, just more experienced. I wouldn't bring them all back though. Maybe just Luke or Han. Obviously have them as the mentors for new characters just like Obi Wan was.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yeah I'm actually really worried about that. If its a movie full of cheeky cameos of actors who are now so mismatched to their characters, and ruin our original appreciation, it's gonna be awful.

Disney better be smart about this...

antonz

Ford has made it clear if he comes back he wants it as a 1 and done deal were Han dies like was planned in ROTJ. The way he said it to shows he really did want Han dead in ROTJ as he points out in the end it was all about the toy money and Lucas knowing he cant sell a dead Han figure.

Wait the same guy played Palpatine in all the movies? Mindblown. Damn somehow this has totally slipped by me.
Yep and I am sure if they want him back he will do it again. He mentioned he had been even willing to make appearances in the live action show.

Gray Man

Banned
My prediction on returning cast:

-Mark Hamill will return, he will be in shape, have a "obiwan beard" to hide his facial scars from his Car Accident

-Carrie Fisher will return, lets be honest, she only really has to get into shape, makeup, and then she is in

-Harrison Ford is probably won't have any problems doing anything action oriented as Han Solo, the guys just that good, He is already in shape pretty much, and will be fine

-Chewbacca, R2D2, and Anthony Daniels as C3P0 are going to be in for sure as well.

Speculation:

Possible Hologram/ Force Ghost appearance:

Iwan McGreggor and Hayden Christianson as force ghosts, or Holograms as their respective characters as Obi-wan and Anikan.

Yoda/Sideous may return in a similar way.

Boba Fett and Lando walk on/Cameo roles seem MORE THAN easy enough

Ford has made it clear if he comes back he wants it as a 1 and done deal were Han dies like was planned in ROTJ. The way he said it to shows he really did want Han dead in ROTJ as he points out in the end it was all about the toy money and Lucas knowing he cant sell a dead Han figure.

I don't really agree with this, Ford wanted Han to die, because he thought it was a really good move for the character, Han solo was always the character who would get killed off, shot, into this sort of trouble. I think MOST of the original cast wouldn't have that large a role in the second or third movie.

Levyne

Banned
Wait the same guy played Palpatine in all the movies? Mindblown. Damn somehow this has totally slipped by me.

Yep, the only exception is that the Palpatine hologram in 5 was redone to match 6 + the prequels. One of the good changes along with nixing yub nub or w/e that was, imo.

destrudo

and YET

Peter Cushing
Alec Guiness
Christopher Lee
Ian McDiarmid

that is all

It seems like people are thinking that the returning actors would be playing main characters, when it's more likely they would play side characters for a new cast. Like you said, in the older movies there was always an older set of actors playing in mentor/parental roles and I don't see how this would be any different. I would love to see Hamill in a Obi-wan role for instance.

As for directors, I think JJ Abrams would be a decent pick, but only if he has a good script. The Star Trek movie looked really good (minus the constant lens flare) but the script was a complete mess. He's not my ideal pick, but better than some of the alternatives being tossed around.

Gray Man

Banned
Yep, the only exception is that the Palpatine hologram in 5 was redone to match 6 + the prequels. One of the good changes along with nixing yub nub or w/e that was, imo.

Aside from a couple controversial changes, a lot of the changes are nice in the Blue Ray, The Darth Vader, No, NO, is fine it actually makes more sense to me. The Sound improvements, fixing the old lightsaber effects colors, I appreciate some of them.

In other news, the guy who played palpatine hinted that he may return once or twice for the Live Action Show.

destrudo

My prediction on returning cast:

Possible Hologram/ Force Ghost appearance:

Iwan McGreggor and Hayden Christianson as force ghosts, or Holograms as their respective characters as Obi-wan and Anikan.

Yoda/Sideous may return in a similar way.

Boba Fett and Lando walk on/Cameo roles seem MORE THAN easy enough

I don't really agree with this, Ford wanted Han to die, because he thought it was a really good move for the character, Han solo was always the character who would get killed off, shot, into this sort of trouble. I think MOST of the original cast wouldn't have that large a role in the second or third movie.

I hope not! I could see them doing it for the sake of continuity, but the further away from the prequels the better. Also, keep Boba Fett dead. It was bad enough they made him and his father so central in the prequels. Originally he was just some random mercenary, keep the fan service out of it.

I actually have no problem with killing Han Solo. He's always been this character who narrowly escapes death and I wouldn't mind seeing a situation where this time he doesn't make it out. Like you said, most of the original cast probably won't be needed in the second or third movie, so killing him off wouldn't be a big deal in the larger sense.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Id love it if some new upcoming special effects wiz came in and vowed to do as much as possible practical, Star Wars holds up, CGI on the other hand is always a race against time, especially if the movies themselves are not very good. Films like LOTR will endure based on their stories, performances and unbelievable visual fidelity of New Zealand. They will last inspite of some of the CGI which is now starting to look aged, films like the Star Wars prequels will not.

You know what i would genuinely love? Give 3 up and comers $50-60 mill, have them all make a star wars film, take the leash off them and then see what creativity comes out. Impossible i know id just love to see another good practical star wars film in my life.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I am legitimately shocked at how poorly the prequels have aged. Haven't revisited ROTS yet, but TPM and AOTC look bad, overall.
I remember renting TPM the day it came out on VHS (not DVD, controversially) in late 1999 or early 2000.... It looked terrible then! Even in low resolution.

They never really looked good. The early 2000s was a time where you'd have the CGI to make stuff appear... But nobody really thought it was good. I remember Guillermo Del Toro trolling his own CG for Blade 2 in the commentary :p

How's Jurassic Park looking these days? That was the film that 'inspired' Lucas to do the prequels because 'technology had caught up to his vision.'

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Mashing

I hope not! I could see them doing it for the sake of continuity, but the further away from the prequels the better. Also, keep Boba Fett dead. It was bad enough they made him and his father so central in the prequels. Originally he was just some random mercenary, keep the fan service out of it.

I actually have no problem with killing Han Solo. He's always been this character who narrowly escapes death and I wouldn't mind seeing a situation where this time he doesn't make it out. Like you said, most of the original cast probably won't be needed in the second or third movie, so killing him off wouldn't be a big deal in the larger sense.

Or you could kill them all by having a opening act where imperial agents assassinate Luke, Leia and Han in a bombing or something of that nature. You then introduce the new characters and give them a mission to find out how it happened and/or to find the killers. Then you can you just go where you want to with the reset of 7, 8 and 9. I think they'll all die on screen if you ask me. It's probably the best way to get the fans that grew up on the OT emotionally invested in the movie.

Yuripaw

Banned
I think if it is set within a certain amount of years after ROTJ, it would at least make sense to see if they could get Mark Hamill back simply because he was the last remaining Jedi at that point. He would be the father figure for the entire Jedi order if it takes place within his character's lifetime, and it just would be weird without him being around at all. Especially if there are any Jedi involved in the next movie.

If he can still do a decent performance, I'd love to see Mark Hamill back as an older Luke Skywalker.

Pociask

Or you could kill them all by having a opening act where imperial agents assassinate Luke, Leia and Han in a bombing or something of that nature. You then introduce the new characters and give them a mission to find out how it happened and/or to find the killers. Then you can you just go where you want to with the reset of 7, 8 and 9. I think they'll all die on screen if you ask me. It's probably the best way to get the fans that grew up on the OT emotionally invested in the movie.

They could just go all Rocky Balboa on it. Have it start with Luke and Han at Leia's tomb. Crying holding onto Han's leg is young Solo child.

Suddenly, back from the dead Boba Fett shows up, blasting. Han kills him, but is mortally wounded.

Now, Luke must raise the the orphan Solo, while investigating rumors of a new Sith Lord - Darth Jar Jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom