• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
wgY1ZPM.jpg

Looks more like something out of Diablo than SW if you ask me.

RyanDG

In a world like Star Wars you really need to ask how this thing works practically?

Considering every other robot shown (at least in the original trilogy) was designed in such a way that makes sense from a practical standpoint (in terms of the sheer mechanics of how they worked), I don't see how this is a weird thing to ask about?

Metallix87

Nothing seemed that pristine to me other than the newer troopers. It did give me the vibe of them hanging on to older technology for a bit too long which is probably what they tried to convey and what we're talking about.

It doesn't look older, though. It looks like everything is still in relatively good shape.

Ocaso

I think re-using the ship designs is definitely nostalgia bait. Same for the Storm Trooper armor. The Millenium Falcon is fine, but X-Wings and TIE Fighters should be out of date and out of use by now.

Perhaps not. The F-14 was in service for decades. As long as new designs join the old ones, there's nothing strange about keeping the classics.

Salsa

I think the "that lightsaber is kinda custom made and fucked" theory is not as much a theory as a fact

dude looks really rudimentary and.. independent? from stance and attitude alone

Fliesen

20 years pass between Episodes III and IV, and the tech is radically different.

We still don't know how the war went on after Episode VI. Also, the Emperor was convinced that the Death Star would be the ultimate weapon, rendering most of his regular starships obsolete, as noone would dare to oppose them after demonstrating its power.

Which would mean that, around the time of Episode VI, most of the empires resources must have been invested in finishing the second Death Start as fast as possible, while barely any being invested in R&D of smaller, one-man spaceships, as they were being considered somewhat obsolete.

With the empire close to collapse / internal power struggles, i don't think it would have been easy to allocate resources to further development of new spacecrafts either.

Just look at how many western nations are still using aircraft from the 80s, while during war times they were churning out newer models of better / faster plane every month or so.
Also, the X-Wing is pretty different. the S-foils are entirely redesigned. they're not 2 wings anymore but 1 wing that splits up when in attack position - probably saves material and weight. It's an iterative update of the good old T-65 model.

After watching the unnamed Sith sequence a few more times, I'm not at all convinced that that actually is a lightsaber. Not only is the blade extremely unstable and erratic looking, it almost whips out when he ignites it, but it also doesn't sound at all like a lightsaber. The ignition sound is totally wrong, and it's completely missing the lightsaber hum. I think this character may have created this weapon with only the most basic notions of what a lightsaber was, and did his/her best in guessing how to construct one.
I could get behind this. Would be even more interesting to see who that is if this is the case.

Burt

Can't wait for the inevitable scene where two dudes with light sabers cross blades and start pushing and the dude with the claymore uses the hilt beams to stab the other guy in the eyeball.

I find the nitpicking over the realism or practicality of the new lightsaber design is funny for a franchise where dudes shoot lightning from their fingers.

Also that's definitely Cumberbatch, sounds just like Smaug. (I think)

I like the theories of the lightsaber being a home made thing by a solo working rogue Sith. Where it's not perfectly formed

The fuck is that lightsaber?

Well, I was initially going to defend it on the ground that a hand guard against a saber would only be useful if it too was a saber (since only sabers can really reliably block sabers).

HOWEVER, on closer inspect, I have decided that the design is actually kinda stupid as the still non-saber portion of the guard is massively exposed, and in fact the most likely to be hit portion, meaning it would be still be easy to slice right through it despite the extra saber bits at the end. So really, the only use for those extra bits is if you want to punch someone and stab them with the smaller blade in the same action.

Oh well, it looks interesting if nothing else.

Abounder

Banned
Exactly, so there should be a mix of newer tech and even more dilapidated old tech. The X-Wings and TIE Fighters look far too pristine for a war that has been raging for around fifty years now.

X-wings have a new design so the older birds are probably retired. The troopers also have new designs and I think their weapons as well.

I think re-using the ship designs is definitely nostalgia bait. Same for the Storm Trooper armor. The Millenium Falcon is fine, but X-Wings and TIE Fighters should be out of date and out of use by now.

Disagree. This is supposedly set only 30 years after Jedi, and if you want to look at the real world, the US army still uses a lot of stuff from the late 70s and 80s (Apache Helicopters, F-16s, Abrams tanks, etc). Relatively "new" stuff like F-22s or whatever are rare.

After watching the unnamed Sith sequence a few more times, I'm not at all convinced that that actually is a lightsaber. Not only is the blade extremely unstable and erratic looking, it almost whips out when he ignites it, but it also doesn't sound at all like a lightsaber. The ignition sound is totally wrong, and it's completely missing the lightsaber hum. I think this character may have created this weapon with only the most basic notions of what a lightsaber was, and did his/her best in guessing how to construct one.

I think it goes without saying. It's not like he has a Sith master to teach him how to make one.

Also didn't people hate Darth Maul's lightsabre design before too? and now he's considered the only good thing from the prequels. His lightsabre wasn't practical at all either

Sawneeks

Banned

I was also thinking something along those lines. After watching the saber again and seeing how weak and completely odd looking it is I almost feel this 'Unamed Sith Person' is a Sith from WAY back. I mean, the whole movie is called the Force Awakens and the Sith were known to have immense power and knowledge...would not surprise me if one fell into some sort of sleep for a long time and finally woke up. It would explain the old-fashioned 'knight' lightsaber.

Paganmoon

Nothing seemed that pristine to me other than the newer troopers. It did give me the vibe of them hanging on to older technology for a bit too long which is probably what they tried to convey and what we're talking about.

Exactly, so there should be a mix of newer tech and even more dilapidated old tech. The X-Wings and TIE Fighters look far too pristine for a war that has been raging for around fifty years now.

compare fighter plane designs from 20-30 years ago to today, hell, some countries are still using fighters from 30 years ago, and some are using new ones, that are based of off the ones from 30 years ago.

And the X-wings aren't carbon copies of the X-wings of the OT, but slight variations, for instance the wings and the engines.

Edit: The hell? that wasn't the post I was quoting...

Edit2: correct post quoted.

adj_noun

That Star Wars feel checklist:

- StormTrooper
- Droid
- Swoop Bike
- Sith Lord

- Millennium Falcon soaring the Sky while evading tie fighters with main Star Wars theme: Priceless!

It wouldn't be Star Wars if the Empire wasn't missing a few point blank shots.

Like I said, bored and something to do. Nothing against the chosen design really.
Oh sorry, I'm not calling you out specifically. I saw some article titled "Here, I Fixed That Lightsaber for You" and was a bit peeved by the use of the word fixed. No offense meant!

Fliesen

Well, I was initially going to defend it on the ground that a hand guard against a saber would only be useful if it too was a saber (since only sabers can really reliably block sabers).

HOWEVER, on closer inspect, I have decided that the design is actually kinda stupid as the still non-saber portion of the guard is massively exposed, and in fact the most likely to be hit portion, meaning it would be still be easy to slice right through it despite the extra saber bits at the end. So really, the only use for those extra bits is if you want to punch someone and stab them with the smaller blade in the same action.

Oh well, it looks interesting if nothing else.

you're just assuming it's a light saber with 2 mini-light-daggers attached to the sides of the hilt.

as i have posted time and time again, there's no reason not to believe that there might be a beam within the crossguard as well, and the "metal" part is just extended to protect the person wielding the sword from burning their hands when doing a lunge attack.

Darth Maul was v poor but people just didn't realise how bad the prequels were going to get.

True but people still cracked down on how silly his lightsaber was, at least the loud minority of nitpickers like today. Yet in the movie the battles with it were really cool to watch.

Sure these things are dumb and impractical and only to look cool most times but that's not really a bad thing if it accomplishes that. I like new designs too instead of just boring old blue on red sword fights

Yeah, I'm sure the fact that you were probably around 12 back then had nothing to do with it.

Im unsure why when anyone says they think differently they are met with such opposition, you don't see me boo-hooing everyone who enjoys the teaser.

No, even watching TPM teaser now with those opening sentences it just works more for me more than this teaser. (I think the movie is terrible FYI)

Though I do subscribe to what someone else said in that amazing trailers tend to have disappointing films, and vice versa. I will believe that :)

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I woke up a little bit ago, jumped online to watch it...

And I'm actually really disappointed. Looks cheesy as fuck. The brief dialogue, the stupid looking lightsaber, the stormtrooper at the beginning that was so overly dramatic I thought I was watching space balls for a moment.

Fuck. Hope its actually good but I'm not feeling this teaser *at all*.

Kettch

The villain's movement looks like Serkis to me. Would be a good choice if they want to show off how menacing he is primarily through body language. Would also be a refreshing change from his usual CG characters, while still playing to his strength.

I woke up a little bit ago, jumped online to watch it...

And I'm actually really disappointed. Looks cheesy as fuck. The brief dialogue, the stupid looking lightsaber, the stormtrooper at the beginning that was so overly dramatic I thought I was watching space balls for a moment.

Fuck. Hope its actually good but I'm not feeling this teaser *at all*.

oh oh. The prequel youths are waking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom