• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

This game is already so addictive. Three hours flew by in no time at all. I think the controls are fine too. The cursor is a little cumbersome but it's a huge exaggeration to say it unsuable or makes the game hard to play.

I really hope this comes to Vita. Having this on a portable system would completely ruin my life (in a good way).

Seil

This game is already so addictive. Three hours flew by in no time at all. I think the controls are fine too. The cursor is a little cumbersome but it's a huge exaggeration to say it unsuable or makes the game hard to play.

I really hope this comes to Vita. Having this on a portable system would completely ruin my life (in a good way).

Nothing's been said about Vita, but it's coming to the Switch.

Seil

Thinking of double dipping.

I played this on PC early on. Just how many improvements did he add to the game since its early life on PC?

The 1.1 update was pretty big, adding new farm layouts for new games, some new postgame stuff, added Emily and Shane to the marriage candidates, some new buildings like the Shed, some balance tweaks, a new Iridium quality star for some stuff...

Full changelog here

vix

So the game is too wide for my tv, it's a bit too tall too. There's no in-game option to fix it and no option on my tv that makes it better. Any chance this will be fixed? I can't see the energy bar at all or the tips below the inventory bar and some other things. :/

Edit: they're aware of the issue it seems.

I was looking at the Steam trailer for this, and I noticed the main character was attacking some monsters or something? I wasn't interested in this since I prefer Rune Factory to Harvest Moon, but if there are RPG elements more like RF then I'm interested.

Retro

I was looking at the Steam trailer for this, and I noticed the main character was attacking some monsters or something? I wasn't interested in this since I prefer Rune Factory to Harvest Moon, but if there are RPG elements more like RF then I'm interested.

There's a mine in the mountains north of town that basically acts like a dungeon with 100 floors (and once you reach level 100, there's a
way to unlock an infinite dungeon in the desert
). It's your primary source for ore, which you need to upgrade your tools and build various farm items.

The weapons are all pretty basic and follow a vertical progression scheme (though there are different types like swords, hammers and daggers), and there's no stat growth beyond health and energy. You don't use your weapons anywhere else (unless you chose the Wilderness Farm, which has monster attacks at night). Combat is pretty simple but kinda fun. It beats just going into a cave and breaking rocks for hours.

Retro

Which Farm Layout did you choose?

The basic farm map is a good one to start with; the others have less room to farm and build structures, which makes them kind of like... hard mode, I guess, though not that hard, just... limited.

The Forest Farm is also a good one as it gives you access to wood and foraged items which can earn you a lot of extra cash without much effort. But again, less space to build.

bronk

Banned
First time playing and its fucking amazing. Guess im finally gonna play something else than Let It Die. Ultra brutal to ultra mellow :)

TheKeyPit

Banned
I suck at the fishing mini game. Any tips?

Keep the green bar behind the fish...

Every fish has a unique behavior. If the fish drops down to the bottom, let your bar drop softly down too, so it doesn't bounce. If the fish goes to the top hold the button. Otherwise just tap the button slightly to keep the bar behind the fish.

It's easy. Some fish can be hard to catch; a better rod helps then.

Seil

I suck at the fishing mini game. Any tips?

It takes practice to get the "technique" down. Like frequency of tapping and holding etc. But as you level up the skill, your bar will grow larger which will make things easier. And the highest level rod will allow you to equip tackle that have various beneficial effects.

Try to keep the top of the bar behind the fish, rather than the middle or the bottom. You can go up much faster than down, and by keeping the fish near the top you'll have more time to react when you need to drop down.

Seil

Speaking of fishing I only messed around with the game for a bit on ps4 but how do you equip bait?

You need the Fiberglass Rod which has an actual bait slot, then you just drop the bait onto the rod in your inventory. Same for tackle with the Iridium Rod.

GHG

Keep the green bar behind the fish...

Every fish has a unique behavior. If the fish drops down to the bottom, let your bar drop softly down too, so it doesn't bounce. If the fish goes to the top hold the button. Otherwise just tap the button slightly to keep the bar behind the fish.

It's easy. Some fish can be hard to catch; a better rod helps then.

It takes practice to get the "technique" down. Like frequency of tapping and holding etc. But as you level up the skill, your bar will grow larger which will make things easier. And the highest level rod will allow you to equip tackle that have various beneficial effects.

Try to keep the top of the bar behind the fish, rather than the middle or the bottom. You can go up much faster than down, and by keeping the fish near the top you'll have more time to react when you need to drop down.

Thanks guys, will give it another go later.

Man. I only got to spend about 45 minutes with this yesterday and I feel like I accomplished nothing. Hopefully will be able to put some time into it tonight.

bj00rn_

Banned

Lets just call a spade a spade; the controls are garbage. It may not be hard but it feels a waste that such a simple thing wasn't deemed important enough to be redesigned to something more intuitive.

(..and the PC version interface is glitching all over the place..)

..but I do love the game despite.

krpiper

You need the Fiberglass Rod which has an actual bait slot, then you just drop the bait onto the rod in your inventory. Same for tackle with the Iridium Rod.

Ahh okay I have just the basic rod and got that bait at the beginning of the game.

Looking for some help, just bought the game for the PS4.
Started playing it, but the screen is cutting off the edge of the display - as you can see below I can't see the health/energy bar for example.
I've played around with the aspect ratio on my TV, tried modifying the Display Area Setting on the console, restarted the game, rebooted the PS4 and the TV. With no luck.
Can't seem to find anything within the game settings to adjust the view either. As a last resort, I even deleted the game and re-downloaded it. Same issue.
All other games are displaying fine, just this one having the display problem.
This is OG PS4, downloaded from the UK PSN, English language.

Any ideas?

AxKLMPW.jpg

Retro

Actually, here's a post from the developer on the port: http://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-now-available-on-xbox-one-and-playstation-4/

Hi everyone,

Stardew Valley is now available on Xbox One, and Playstation 4 in North America and Europe! The price for the console version is $14.99 USD, just like PC.

Stardew Valley was ported to Xbox and PS4 by my publisher, Chucklefish, in conjunction with Sickhead Games. The launch has been relatively smooth so far, but there are a few issues we are aware of. We will be rolling out some patches in the next few weeks to address some of these issues, including:

• Game crashes when going to sleep around the 3rd day, if the system language is not english. (PS4)
  • Game crashes in certain cases if the Exit To Title button was used (Xbox One)
  • Occasional hitching/freezing in the Xbox One version
  • GUI elements cut off on the edges of the screen on certain TV setups
  • Control improvements
In the meantime, Molly from Chucklefish has started a thread in the forums with some known bugs/issues and a few workarounds.

Thanks so much to everyone who has purchased the console version so far… I hope you are enjoying it… and thank you all for your continued support!

-ConcernedApe

Lets just call a spade a spade; the controls are garbage. It may not be hard but it feels a waste that such a simple thing wasn't deemed important enough to be redesigned to something more intuitive.

They're not though. I expected them to be from the threads on GAF and that stupid Kotaku article, but they honestly don't bother me that much. I think it's valid to criticize the fact that not enough was done to adapt the controls for consoles/controllers but saying they're garbage makes is sound like the game in unplayable, which isn't the case at all.

jesu

Controls are fine.

Which Farm Layout did you choose?

I went with the quarry map, because I like the way it looks and I've already sunk 100+ hours into the PC version.

The forest map is great - the abundance of wild seeds means your farming rank will shoot up, the berry bushes will be helpful in the early game, and the forage means you'll have to spend less time gathering stuff for the community center (probably).

The quarry map is.. well, kinda pointless. It looks nice, but many of the paths are blocked until you upgrade your tools and while the geodes might help you with filling out the museum sooner rather than later, once you really get started in the mine you probably aren't going to be hurting for ore or geodes, you know? Also getting to a water source is kind of tricky.

The river map is hardmode for sure. Less farming space and difficult to navigate. Maybe it'd work better if it had ocean fish too? Fishing is great for money early on, but it doesn't compare to Summer/Fall crops.

The monster map is kinda just there. It's a slightly more pretty version of the standard map, with slightly less space (not that you're missing much, tbh, I don't think I've ever used the bottom corner of farm before). There aren't a ton of enemies that spawn, so it's not like, super exciting or anything.

None of the maps are really detrimental (except, ok, maybe the fishing one) though.

Top Bottom