• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

fester

Banned
...Penny would mean having Pam's trashy drunken ass as a mother-in-law.

Yeah, Pam is a mess but Penny is still a quality girl: intelligent, kind, good with kids. The drunk/obnoxious mom with a straight-laced daughter dynamic kind of reminds me of Ab Fab. :)

nikos

Anyone think there will be a PS+ discount later today? I believe I can recall instances where I've purchased agames only to see there was a special PS+ price when the store officially updated later the same day.

Seil

My biggest tips for the game would honestly just be:

1) Take things at your own pace. The game will introduce new stuff you can do fairly quickly, such as fishing and going through the mines. And it'll be up to you to decide how much time you'll dedicate to these things in a given day. There's really only one thing you can permanently miss out on due to personal pacing, and it's not a big deal:
Sam's 3 heart event can only be seen before winter of Year 1
. Besides that, the worst punishment the game will dish out is "you have to wait til later to finish this" because of seasonal crops or fish etc.

2) Fishing is seriously the best money making method in the early game. Many will complain about fishing, especially early on. But it levels up very quickly and becomes significantly easier because both your skill as a player and your character's skill level will influence things. If you spend time fishing, it will absolutely slaughter other methods of making money for a pretty good chunk of time. Its advantage will eventually fall off, but there's really no competing with it for at least your first Spring (and Summer), if not your first year entirely depending on how you play. Level your fishing early, and if you feel pressed for cash, spend some time fishing.

Edit: 3) For early game energy management, Field Snacks are awesome. You unlock the crafting recipe at level 1 Foraging, which you'll get after chopping some trees here and there. It's made from one of each normal tree seed, Acorn, Maple Seed and Pine Cone. You'll see these planted around your farm all over the place. Hit them with a tool to dislodge them. When doing my later runs, I would generally make this part of my daily chores, running around my farm real quick to gather all the tree seeds that had sprouted.

4) Don't go cutting all of your grass early on. Wait until you've built a silo so it can be turned into hay, and keep a nice large patch of grass even after getting silos built. Plan to have your animal buildings near a nice patch of grass so you can just let them out to feed on clear, non winter days.

Retro

Beginners Tips?

- Don't rush. The game doesn't have a hard ending so you're not under the gun to get everything done immediately.

- Do what you want. Everything you do has some kind of benefit, from being social (which nets you lots of gifts and recipes) to fishing (the fish sell for a lot and you'll often find treasure) to foraging (a good way to make money early) to mining (tons of materials).

- Always check the TV. Weather reports, foraging tips and free recipes.

- Rainy Days are good days to fish and mine since all of your crops are watered and some fish only come out during rain.

- Don't rush into livestock immediately, they're time consuming and expensive if you're not prepared. Always make a silo first and give yourself plenty of time to harvest grass for feed. I like to upgrade to the deluxe barn / coop as quickly as possible for the auto-feeder function too.

- Sheds are great if you need storage space as they're way bigger inside than out. Good place to store stuff (which, really, you should try to save one of everything) or set up all of your artisan crafting stations (cheese press, furnace, etc.).

- Check the traveling merchant who appears to the left, past the big tree, in the woods south of your farm. She shows up Friday and Sunday only, and sells a lot of stuff out of season or earlier than you'd normally be able to get it yourself. Two of the biggies to watch out for are Sprinklers and Battery Packs (which are used to make sprinklers). Sprinklers = automation = more time to do other stuff.

- Upgrade your tools in the winter when you won't really need them.

- Every 5th level in the mine has an elevator door so you can return to that floor quickly.

- You can find stuff in the various trash cans around town, just don't get seen doing it.

- The village bar usually draws a ton of people after dark if you want to try to maximize your social interactions.

Shesh, that kinda spoils a lot of the game though.

Erheller

When you upgrade your watering can, you lose access to it for the rest of the day, the entire next day, and can pick it up from the blacksmith the day after.

So you can upgrade your watering can on these days without leaving your crops dry:
The 27th of every month - usually you won't have any crops that need watering on the 28th because they wither at the end of the 28th. So drop the watering can off on the 27th, don't water on the 28th, and pick it up on the 1st.
When you see that tomorrow's going to rain - If the weather forecast says it's going to rain tomorrow, you can water your crops, drop off the can, and pick up your can the day after the rain falls.
During winter

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is the rusty sword a normal tool? It didn't appear in my inventory...

I updated the OT with the links for the PSN and the Xbox store. I'll try to pm a mod and ask to move the OT out of the community for some time to gain some visibility.

whiteape

The controls on PS4 are strange. Why do i have to move the cursor with the right stick normally but sometimes only the left one works?

bronk

Banned
Bought and downloaded on Ps4 cant wait to get home and play. Haven't done any farming since Rune Factory 4. Im ready!

big_z

Shame the controls are still the same as PC. Thought they might have gotten cleaned up a little. Still a great game though, will get on Xbox since it's $5 cheaper than PS4 here in Canada for some reason

Randam

Beginner tips?

Invest all your money in seeds.
Go fishing and buy more seeds.
Go for crops that don't have to be planted again, but continue to give you stuff.
Ignore animals at first.
You will have a million in cash after your first year.

Bessy67

So I'm considering buying this on Xbox One. I love Harvest Moon games and would really like something similar on a console, but I'm just worried the controls will be too janky. Are the controls something that you can get used to pretty easily?

brentech

So I'm considering buying this on Xbox One. I love Harvest Moon games and would really like something similar on a console, but I'm just worried the controls will be too janky. Are the controls something that you can get used to pretty easily?
I know a bunch of people that exclusively use a controller, including the creator of the guide book.

Randam

Just asking: why didn't you people buy it already for PC?
I'm playing it with no issues on my laptop I bought in 2009.
Especially if you are worried about the controls.

11 days in, this is great. Super charming and relaxing.

I mean besides all the work you have to do, and all the people to talk to, and the quests, and the exploration, and upgrading, and maintaining, and crafting

u3ohy3q.gif

Learned pretty quickly that fishing and persistent crops are the early cash farming pro strats. Looking forward to all the stuff the rest of the game has in store.

Retro

I mean besides all the work you have to do, and all the people to talk to, and the quests, and the exploration, and upgrading, and maintaining, and crafting

u3ohy3q.gif

Learned pretty quickly that fishing and persistent crops are the early money makers. Looking forward to all the stuff the rest of the game has in store.

Once you get a rhythm down and start adding sprinklers, it gets a bit easier. Winter is prime time for mining / fishing / socializing too.

u3ohy3q.gif

Learned pretty quickly that fishing and persistent crops are the early money makers. Looking forward to all the stuff the rest of the game has in store.
these types of games are truly the best

Top Bottom