• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has lost 97% of its Steam players in less than six months.

Romulus

I think this game was the biggest disappointment of the current generation. Hyped up as no other game before and it turned out the be complete trash. Should've expected this from Bethesda and Scummy Tod

Other than Fallout 76, its the only Bethesda RPG I just couldn't be bothered with playing after the first 10 hours. I pushed through to that point and tried to find reasons to continue and just never went back.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It’s just so boring. I am the biggest Bethesda RPG fan there is and just can’t get into Starfeild. The focus on “cities” which are a total snoozefest really kills the game. I like the shooting well enough but every mission involving any sort of action takes place in the same 2-3 cookie cutter locations dropped on dozens of different boring ass planets.

It is just completely missing that cohesive one big map feel that makes their games so great.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
IMO opinion it’s too low. Not many new IP games that I’ve enjoyed as much as starfield in the last 5 years.
I didn't really like Starfield, found it boring and quit after 10 hours or so, but I think 83 is probably too low. It did what it set out to do, but that 50s and 60s era sci-fi is just not that exciting or a good genre for a video game.

StereoVsn

I didn't really like Starfield, found it boring and quit after 10 hours or so, but I think 83 is probably too low. It did what it set out to do, but that 50s and 60s era sci-fi is just not that exciting or a good genre for a video game.
I disagree. They promised exploration and sense of adventure. They absolutely did not have any of that in the game.

The whole point of going for retro 60s NASA aesthetic was for that purpose. They failed completely. Plus their writing is generally atrocious.

Another company could make a great game with similar ideas but different execution.

Oppoi

Since the game has a thousand different planets to explore I think the problem lies with the gamers of today. It's also popular to hate Bethesda games right now, as they are part of Xbox... Starfield is the game we will talk about 20 years from now as one that defined a generation.

Looking forward to a few more updates, interested to see what they do with the travel.

As for the score, seems to be around the same as Stellar Blade and there’s a lot of praise on here for that, so …

DaGwaphics

I would say this is normal for a single player game but there were actually people saying this is the next skyrim that will be played for decades to come. Well, surprise mfers it's not. Currently Skyrim has 3 times more players than it.

This was a new IP. I'm sure Skyrim had wax and wane as well, but it wasn't something new. We'll see what bumps it gets as time goes on. Everyone wanted that all encompassing space game and were hyped that this could be the one.

The game still has endless potential. I had a lot of fun with it, as did many others. It was one of those cases of something that really clicks with some players but not others.

It’s just so boring. I am the biggest Bethesda RPG fan there is and just can’t get into Starfeild. The focus on “cities” which are a total snoozefest really kills the game. I like the shooting well enough but every mission involving any sort of action takes place in the same 2-3 cookie cutter locations dropped on dozens of different boring ass planets.

It is just completely missing that cohesive one big map feel that makes their games so great.
lack of genuine exploration & 'constellation' crew being the single most dull, awful group of 2-dimensional companions in any rpg i've ever played? one incredibly soulless, endlessly repetitive snore fest. bailed after about 40 hours, & basically sleep-walked through the last dozen or so...

& i really wanted to like this game...

Fredrik

C'mon dude, you know the issues.

No in game map for towns/cities, the exploration is completly broken from previous Bethesda games, it's so stop start.

The variety in planets and cities/towns is so poor compared to Skyrim and Fallout.

Land on a planet/moon, same bases/camps, same enemies, variety is lacking.

In Skyrim & Fallout, you feel like your exploring a world. With Starfield, you're in a box then you jump to another box that looks the same as the last box..... wtf. From the studio that brought us Skyrim... really?
”another box that looks the same”
stsfpHj.jpeg

VfCVFSx.jpeg

W6UXYmO.jpeg

IcjgxI8.jpeg

rivI6xt.jpeg

z9Nhqzi.jpeg

ExGOhVs.jpeg

CT8fMXg.jpeg

TC81EFc.jpeg

Etc…

I’ve been to way more diverse environments than any other game they’ve made, can go from thick vegetated forrests to bright sandy deserts to black lava rocks to snow, to ice, to grass, etc.
The same box thing happens if you’re only moving within the same biome. Then things are samey.

For me it mostly lacks dungeon/outpost variety, better/fun/faster ways to traverse the planet surface, and more cities, they should add cities and villages to the procedural generation tool. More alien creatures is needed too. And official mod support!

There is so much they could do with this universe if they actually want to keep it growing. But right now almost everyone has dropped it, including modders, so they need to hit it out the park with the expansion first. I played it for 300+ hours before I put it down. Still have much left to see and I’ll be there for sure when Shattered Space comes.

Talking about it reminds me that I need to finish my space highlander run, I made a super offensive melee focused build and went through the game using only a sword. Never upgraded the space ship though and couldn’t beat the unskippable starborn ship fight near the end. Went off to get the mantis but stopped before I got it.

I think this game was the biggest disappointment of the current generation. Hyped up as no other game before and it turned out the be complete trash. Should've expected this from Bethesda and Scummy Tod
It's more Microsoft fault for the excessive hype and subsequent letdown. It was this Xbox generations Titanfall

I wish 10% of the people who played Starfield for free paid 40 bucks for an amazing game like Unicorn Overlord

Last edited:
”another box that looks the same”
stsfpHj.jpeg

VfCVFSx.jpeg

W6UXYmO.jpeg

IcjgxI8.jpeg

rivI6xt.jpeg

z9Nhqzi.jpeg

ExGOhVs.jpeg

CT8fMXg.jpeg

TC81EFc.jpeg

Etc…

I’ve been to way more diverse environments than any other game they’ve made, can go from thick vegetated forrests to bright sandy deserts to black lava rocks to snow, to ice, to grass, etc.
The same box thing happens if you’re only moving within the same biome. Then things are samey.

For me it mostly lacks dungeon/outpost variety, better/fun/faster ways to traverse the planet surface, and more cities, they should add cities and villages to the procedural generation tool. More alien creatures is needed too. And official mod support!

There is so much they could do with this universe if they actually want to keep it growing. But right now almost everyone has dropped it, including modders, so they need to hit it out the park with the expansion first. I played it for 300+ hours before I put it down. Still have much left to see and I’ll be there for sure when Shattered Space comes.

Talking about it reminds me that I need to finish my space highlander run, I made a super offensive melee focused build and went through the game using only a sword. Never upgraded the space ship though and couldn’t beat the unskippable starborn ship fight near the end. Went off to get the mantis but stopped before I got it.
I am hoping against all hopes …

They add stuff to it like a GAAS title.

They have added so much to Fallout 76, which to me isn’t nearly as interesting as Starfield. I enjoyed it enough, but even vanilla Starfield I think was so effortless to play and sink time into.

It's incredibly boring even by Bethesda standards. I made the mistake of playing Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty before playing Starfield. Starfield feels like two decades behind in storytelling, character and quest design. I have zero faith anything good can come out of Bethesda anymore. Maybe with Microsoft having acquired them they can clean house and hire some new people at the top who aren't stuck in their ways.

Fredrik

Sounds like he knows what he likes.
Yeah some people need to bash the idea out of their head that different people can’t have different taste in games.

Imagine if someone who’re into pop music would say to someone who’re into metal that they have a pretty low bar if they think Dreamtheater is their favorite band.

Starfield was my GOTY, played it for more than 300 hours. Bet I spent more hours just building space ships and bases than whatever story focused linear AAA game the masses praised like it was the return of messiah only to drop and never touch again after seeing the credits.

On one playthrough I spent like 100 hours doing side stuff before I even did any main quests besides getting the first ship. I had a huge outpost with droid defences and a crew and automated cargo links delivering resources and greenhouses and animals and a mindreader chip in my head and was a sheriff and red mile legend before I had even let Sarah set her foot on my ship.

For me it’s not Skyrim in space, it’s a more condensed No Man’s Sky with great combat and roleplaying and a ship builder.
There is still so much I want them to add, some will likely arrive through the mod tools but I hope they officially keep building on it so they don’t drop it because so many are down on it now.

StueyDuck

Surprised it took even that long.

The further away from the time I had with the game I get. The more I realise how worse it really was, and I was not a fan at launch

It's incredibly boring even by Bethesda standards. I made the mistake of playing Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty before playing Starfield. Starfield feels like two decades behind in storytelling, character and quest design. I have zero faith anything good can come out of Bethesda anymore. Maybe with Microsoft having acquired them they can clean house and hire some new people at the top who aren't stuck in their ways.
Different people like different things.

I personally cannot stand lengthy dialogue sequences that happen in Cyberpunk.

I want an option to skip dialogue and just accept quest if I don’t care about the details.

Game needs to earn my interest in its narrative. Which doesn’t happens a lot in Starfield either. Some of its quests are not very interesting. But in that case I just accept quest and move on rather than indulging into lengthy narrative that I don’t care about.

Dazraell

New mods on the nexus today:

Fallout 4 - 62
New Vegas - 30
Skyrim SE - 87

Starfield - ....4

It's dead.
While I consider Starfield as a flop, this is not a fair metric as Starfield doesn't yet have official mod tools so community still has a very limited capabilities for modding this game. But yeah, popularity of it probably won't be as high as with other games

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah some people need to bash the idea out of their head that different people can’t have different taste in games.

Imagine if someone who’re into pop music would say to someone who’re into metal that they have a pretty low bar if they think Dreamtheater is their favorite band.

Starfield was my GOTY, played it for more than 300 hours. Bet I spent more hours just building space ships and bases than whatever story focused linear AAA game the masses praised like it was the return of messiah only to drop and never touch again after seeing the credits.

On one playthrough I spent like 100 hours doing side stuff before I even did any main quests besides getting the first ship. I had a huge outpost with droid defences and a crew and automated cargo links delivering resources and greenhouses and animals and a mindreader chip in my head and was a sheriff and red mile legend before I had even let Sarah set her foot on my ship.

For me it’s not Skyrim in space, it’s a more condensed No Man’s Sky with great combat and roleplaying and a ship builder.
There is still so much I want them to add, some will likely arrive through the mod tools but I hope they officially keep building on it so they don’t drop it because so many are down on it now.
That's fair. People are and should be allowed to like whatever they like.

However, some things are objectively bad. Starfield is one of those things that are objectively bad: poor graphics, bugs, outdated combat, surface-level RPG elements, infinite loading screens, poor animation quality, awful after-sales support, poor performance, no 60 FPS option, and much, much more.

And it's equally okay to criticize those things that are objectively bad.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It really still amazes me that a small German team made a better Bethesda game with a total conversion mod than anything Bethesda has done in years.

• Fire
Reactions: GHG
That's fair. People are and should be allowed to like whatever they like.

However, some things are objectively bad. Starfield is one of those things that are objectively bad: poor graphics, bugs, outdated combat, surface-level RPG elements, infinite loading screens, poor animation quality, awful after-sales support, poor performance, no 60 FPS option, and much, much more.

And it's equally okay to criticize those things that are objectively bad.
Thats way too much bullshit man.

Try to reign in a little.

There are other things that need work in Starfield. Whatever you mentioned doesn’t register when you have actually played the game.

Roberts

It's been awhile now. Who thinks the 83 Meta is right?

Objectively it is probably a fair score but personally, it is defo 90+ game. As an 80’s kid daydreaming about space travel it simply touched a nerve in a way games rarely do. I was totally obsessed with it for a bit over the month and had to put it aside after I was done with the main story and most of the sidequests. I will be back when DLC hits the streets, no doubt about that.

Top Bottom