• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield May Update - Adds 40/60 hz Options for Series X and More QoL Updates (May 15)

proandrad

But I thought the game was already optimized. It’s almost like developers use the 30fps excuse to push a game out sooner and not optimize their game. Can’t wait to see digital foundry to white knight this and explain what a miracle of an accomplishment this is.

Last edited:

intbal

They are launching it in beta so will likely take just a month of updates after final release.
I don't mind that the F4 patch wasn't working. That kinda thing happens some times.
It was the "Everything is working fine!" tweet that followed that was really irksome.
Do they not know it was broken? Do they still not know? Will they take another look at it?

Three

you drop settings here or there and improve framerate. Its something this game should have had from day 1. And rather than put in the work they peddled some bullshit about creative decisions.

We weren't born yesterday.
If anybody wants a good laugh of excuses about "tracking sandwiches", "no loading screens", "the scope of an open world universe", "complex systems with 1000 planets", etc :

The excuses as to why they didn't put in the work just kept flowing by trying to hype the game into something grand and different instead. Probably hurt people's expectations more than anything instead of admitting they were rushing out the game because they didn't want another embarrassing delay.

Ridaxan

I think this is a good start, but we're still ways away from me really being able to recommend the title. Very keen on the interior decorating, even if its only for RP and photomode purposes.

phant0m

I see by the trolls that Starfield still lives rent free in a lot of minds.

Hell Yeah Yes GIF by IFHT Films

I'm not a fan of Starfield, but it's been hilarious watching people pretend they forgot about it, despite a long history of talking trash about it. Cope.

What’s really wild is how much criticism it got for design/engine limitations and yet now everyone’s sucking FO4’s dick again because it got a PS5 patch despite still having the same engine limitations.

it was just halfbaked and unfinished. got it

Like 50% of all the AAA releases in the last 3 years?

Ozriel

M$FT
If anybody wants a good laugh of excuses about "tracking sandwiches", "no loading screens", "the scope of an open world universe", "complex systems with 1000 planets", etc :

The excuses as to why they didn't put in the work just kept flowing by trying to hype the game into something grand and different instead. Probably hurt people's expectations more than anything instead of admitting they were rushing out the game because they didn't want another embarrassing delay.

It was 60fps and above on powerful PCs. The conversation around 30fps was centered around consoles and their more modest CPUs.

They've clearly put in significant optimization to get to this stage.

I don’t recall anyone promising no loading screens, especially when we knew a year to launch that you couldn’t fly directly to the planet’s surface. Timestamp or it’s just the usual BS?

poodaddy

Do you guys remember that Sony warrior who would do the laughter react on everything that remotely portrayed or informed of Xbox related news in a positive light? I don't remember his name, but he was banned for it eventually.

Is demigod the new version of him?

OT: I dropped off the game a bit ago, but I've been meaning to get back to it. Big update here, so I really hope it doesn't break any saves. Will definitely give this a shot.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They are not turning it "off". Stop it. Having different settings to accommodate a 60fps mode is something every single first-party sony game has done since the PS5 launched. Its something every PC gamer does, you drop settings here or there and improve framerate. Its something this game should have had from day 1. And rather than put in the work they peddled some bullshit about creative decisions.

We weren't born yesterday.
I just need the people saying stuff like "These consoles are CPU bottlenecked" Wake the fuck up now. They aren't, we are dev-bottlenecked... there is a difference.
this game was severely cpu bound at launch. it required months of optimizations to get to this point. if simply reducing crowds was an option, they wouldve done that at launch, but as we saw on PC, reducing the crowd density from high to low only offered a 6% boost and made the entire city a ghost town.

it is also using a realtime GI system akin to Software Lumen that no Sony first party game is using. its bizarre to compare two different games. Besides, Sony simply doesnt make anything this systems driven. their action adventure games have rpg elements but we simply shouldnt be comparing the CPU loads of Baldurs Gate 3 and Starfield to action adventure games sony is pushing out.

Besides, lets not forget that HFW shipped with a broken 60 fps mode with some of the worst IQ ive ever seen in a 60 fps game. Shimmering everywhere. their upscaling solution simply couldnt handle it to the point where DF was saying people should play it at 30 fps. it took them 4 months to fix it. Took Larian 3 months to fix their CPU issues. It's taken bethesda longer but either way, these things take time. no one is perfect.

You say we werent born yesterday and yet ignore all the CPU bound games that have released in the last year alone. Hogwarts, Baldurs Gate 3, Zelda TOTK, Star Wars, Starfield, Forza, Dragons Dogma 2. These devs are not all incompetent. Sometimes you just push things for fidelity and the creative vision and what you get is a 30 fps game. In ToTK's case, a 20 fps game every time you pull out the physics tool. Every single time. is nintendo incompetent? At least these other games are mostly 30 fps. We have been playing 30 fps games for decades. No one accused rockstar, ND, GG, kojima, or bungie of being incompetent.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Do you guys remember that Sony warrior who would do the laughter react on everything that remotely portrayed or informed of Xbox related news in a positive light? I don't remember his name, but he was banned for it eventually.

Is demigod the new version of him?

OT: I dropped off the game a bit ago, but I've been meaning to get back to it. Big update here, so I really hope it doesn't break any saves. Will definitely give this a shot.
demigod will be forgotten like him too.

Three

It was 60fps and above on powerful PCs. The conversation around 30fps was centered around consoles and their more modest CPUs.

They've clearly put in significant optimization to get to this stage.
We're talking about console. Yes that was exactly my point. They could have delayed and put in the actual work (that's what optimisation is) but instead they released in a rush and peddled some bullshit about the game being too big in scope and ambition.

I don’t recall anyone promising no loading screens, especially when we knew a year to launch that you couldn’t fly directly to the planet’s surface. Timestamp or it’s just the usual BS?
Alex says it, watch the video, I'm not going to timestamp it for you.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
But Series S isn't holding back Series X they said. This would have /should have been there from launch.

Back to this eh? Like having to make it run on 2600x and a 1070 would have magically not affected it at all?

Nice update, good to see they did listen to everyone who wanted this.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The game was CPU limited, mostly in New Atlantis. I played it on a 5800x3D and at launch I couldn’t get 60fps+ by the pools in front of MAST even at lowest settings and performance DLSS. After a few updates they optimized it and it became GPU-limited. I went from 45-55fps at any settings to 70-80fps in the same area using high settings. This was at the end of last year. Obviously they’ve had a bunch more time to optimize it for XSX.

Topher

Gold Member
More 40fps in 120Hz modes are always a good thing no matter what the game, it's a great balance between graphics and latency.

I need to try 40fps modes more often. Usually I just bypass them and go right to 60.

Darsxx82

The effort is always appreciated. These were all very demanding things (let's hope that the presence of these things is now as celebrated as their absence was criticized and mentioned 🤗😉)

It is clear that the game at launch was not what they had in mind. They chose to offer a product that was as decent and optimized as possible within the possibilities for something so ambitious. A new delay was not an option.

It is also clear that they had in mind a game that was going to grow over time in content, feedback, optimitations and mods and now the steps that will culminate with the expansion are beginning to be seen.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I need to try 40fps modes more often. Usually I just bypass them and go right to 60.
I became a fan after playing the Spider-Man 40 fps variants. It hits a nice spot for me when it comes to consoles. I'm looking forward to trying this Starfield patch. I put it down fairly quickly when it came out last year and decided to wait for them to work on it a bit more.

King Dazzar

I find 40fps still isnt quite there for me. But start getting to above 45fps and it all becomes smooth enough. So 40fps unlocked VRR is where I need to be really.

Zimmy68

As someone going through multiple playthroughs, I really wish they would Cyberpunk it and review/change skills.
The majority of them are of no real benefit or seem broken.

Sethbacca

What’s really wild is how much criticism it got for design/engine limitations and yet now everyone’s sucking FO4’s dick again because it got a PS5 patch despite still having the same engine limitations.

Fallout 4 is an almost 10 year old game. It's reasonable to have a much lower set of expectations vs what is supposed to be a modern AAAA release and evolution of the engine.

Nydius

So all the justifications and excuses about why the game was 30fps and “had” to be that way were, as we all suspected, bullshit. The reality was the game needed another 6+ months in the oven before launch but since it had already been plagued with multiple delays they decided to ship it as it was and fix it later.

Instead of taking a (temporary) beating of negative press over another delay, they released a game that ended up tarnishing the hell out of their reputation. Since first impressions still matter, there’s a lot of people who wrote off the game who won’t come back despite patches and content drops like these. Maybe they will in a few more years, or maybe they’re gone for good.

How’s that old quote go? “A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever”?“Forever” in these days of patches is a bit hyperbolic but it certainly has had an effect on the amount of people who will care. (And the recent FO4 patch flustercuck hasn’t helped Bethesda’s case either.)

Depending on how this patch turns out, I might give it another run into NG+4, since my character is sitting right outside the Unity in NG+3.

Last edited:

poodaddy

As someone who always prefers high frame rates I can honestly say that 40 fps on 120 hz with vrr is a fantastic compromise. When I first tried it I couldn't believe how much it really hit the spot for me, to the extent that I honestly now prefer it over straight 60 if it's available as it's just a great way to get fidelity and performance all at once on console titles. I even locked Yakuza Kiwami 2 to 40 fps on Steam Deck OLED to play on higher settings and it was an awesome experience. Give it a shot man, I think you'll dig it.

Ozriel

M$FT
We're talking about console. Yes that was exactly my point. They could have delayed and put in the actual work (that's what optimisation is) but instead they released in a rush and peddled some bullshit about the game being too big in scope and ambition.

The game had already had a one year delay, and it would have made no sense to delay it further for 60fps. The console 30fps cap wasn’t the core issue most had with the game at launch.

Alex says it, watch the video, I'm not going to timestamp it for you.

Lmao, you can’t be serious with this 🤣

Three

The game had already had a one year delay, and it would have made no sense to delay it further for 60fps. The console 30fps cap wasn’t the core issue most had with the game at launch.
Why are you conflating everything? Where did I say the core issue with the game was 30fps, where did I say it wasn't 60fps on a high power PC. What are these weird deflections. I just said DF made a bunch of laughable excuses as to why it was 30fps by trying to make the game seem like it had unbelievable scope instead of admitting it was probably coming in hot and they could have hit 60fps if they had spent time optimising.
Lmao, you can’t be serious with this 🤣
What are you talking about? Is this your only silly retort to being proven wrong or is this one of those weird deflections again where you've misconstrued my point in your head.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cool. I’ll give the game another go. 60 for me. Although I’ve never tried a game at 40. I’ll see how that mode compares.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why are you conflating everything? Where did I say the core issue with the game was 30fps, where did I say it wasn't 60fps on a high power PC. What are these weird deflections. I just said DF made a bunch of laughable excuses as to why it was 30fps by trying to make the game seem like it had unbelievable scope instead of admitting it was probably coming in hot and they could have hit 60fps if they had spent time optimising.

Two things can be true at the same time. It could have a very large scope and intricate systems and could still be CPU bound at launch with room for future optimization.

What are you talking about? Is this your only silly retort to being proven wrong or is this one of those weird deflections again where you've misconstrued my point in your head.

‘Proven wrong’? You must be confused. You were supposed to provide a timestamp to the statements you say were made. Asking me to watch the entire video to tease out the claims you made doesn’t seem like a sensible use of my time.

Then again, this discussion is a waste of my time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's great that they're adding things to s mediocre game. There's nothing that will fix the state of the way the game was designed. I can download it on Game pass but it's hardly worth the time today.

Mooreberg

Great timing. Just picked up Starfield from a third party seller on Walmart.com for $24, and the expansion pass at a brick and mortar Walmart for $20. Hopefully I can start getting into this in June.

Three

Two things can be true at the same time. It could have a very large scope and intricate systems and could still be CPU bound at launch with room for future optimization.
Whatever, you're going on one of those strange tangents again. That has nothing to do with what I said. keep proving your tag.
‘Proven wrong’? You must be confused. You were supposed to provide a timestamp to the statements you say were made. Asking me to watch the entire video to tease out the claims you made doesn’t seem like a sensible use of my time.

Then again, this discussion is a waste of my time.
So you'd rather waste my time requesting a timestamp and preemptively and unjustifiably call bullshit instead? Without actually looking at what I'm referring to. Then when I tell you who says it and to watch the video you respond "you can't be serious with this" laughing? Get out of here man I'm not wasting my time when the facts are there for you to see. You're the one calling bullshit and not even watching what you're calling bullshit on.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What's so funny O Ozriel too lazy to watch 4 minutes and a half of a video?

It's a 45 minute video, to be fair if you want someone to comment on a specific line in it, the least you can do is give a time frame or estimate. No one's gonna watch a 45 minute video to find that one sound-bite about Alex talking on the load times.

Nice nice. I was waiting for an 60fps update. Couldn’t get a steady frame rate on my gaming laptop so I put the game down. Glad the team is still working to improve things. Hopefully they get to the inventory system 😬

Three

It's a 45 minute video, to be fair if you want someone to comment on a specific line in it, the least you can do is give a time frame or estimate. No one's gonna watch a 45 minute video to find that one sound-bite about Alex talking on the load times.
I didn’t ask him to comment on it since my comment was about the overall video. I would have no problem timestamping it either it's just that instead of asking for a timestamp he spams laughing emojis and asks like this:

"Timestamp or it’s just the usual BS?"

So I just said watch it yourself, I'm not timestamping it for you. It was clear he was going to go off on one of his defend MS dignity crusades. If he's too lazy to even watch 5 minutes of the video I posted that's on him.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Between this and the D4 loot update it sounds like people got told to shape up or ship out as far as upping quality. Maybe we are actually seeing a turn around at MS.

Top Bottom