• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield May Update - Adds 40/60 hz Options for Series X and More QoL Updates (May 15)

Kacho

Do you guys remember that Sony warrior who would do the laughter react on everything that remotely portrayed or informed of Xbox related news in a positive light? I don't remember his name, but he was banned for it eventually.

Is demigod the new version of him?

OT: I dropped off the game a bit ago, but I've been meaning to get back to it. Big update here, so I really hope it doesn't break any saves. Will definitely give this a shot.
Rivet Rivet ?

geary

Between this and the D4 loot update it sounds like people got told to shape up or ship out as far as upping quality. Maybe we are actually seeing a turn around at MS.
Dont remind me of D4...How the fuck they thought to name their season "Loot Reborn"....

LordCBH

Dont remind me of D4...How the fuck they thought to name their season "Loot Reborn"....

No way. You’re joking. Tell me you’re joking. They didn’t name their season that did they? Ain’t no way. You’re joking.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Now this definitely should have been in at launch, why it was omitted in the first place is beyond me, seemed obvious

Out of early access soon? After i finished that dreadful main story i was so done with this game.

I enjoyed the game, but now wish I had waited to play it until this update along with all the other smaller QoL and bug fixes since launch. This is a game that really felt as if it was still in early access and this will be the launch. Real shame they did this to an awesome universe.

Least there’s a 40fps mode. I’ll applaud them for that since the rest of Xbox studios seem to not know that exists.

I was always skeptical about 40 until I tried it, and now I believe it should be the baseline over 30. Those 10 frames really are a bigger jump than 40 to 60 is.

The excuses as to why they didn't put in the work just kept flowing by trying to hype the game into something grand and different instead. Probably hurt people's expectations more than anything instead of admitting they were rushing out the game because they didn't want another embarrassing delay.

I don’t care how long a product is delayed, I’d rather you delay indefinitely than release a half-baked product. Too many companies rush products out to market for a variety of reasons, hardware and software. The negative PR hit is worse than the loss of upfront revenue.

LordCBH

I was always skeptical about 40 until I tried it, and now I believe it should be the baseline over 30. Those 10 frames really are a bigger jump than 40 to 60 is.

100% how I felt after I got my 120hz tv and played Rift Apart again with the 40fps setting on.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
100% how I felt after I got my 120hz tv and played Rift Apart again with the 40fps setting on.

I had the same reaction on a monitor, man. I really wish the industry would have been pushing 40FPS years ago. I’d love to see Nintendo adopt it as a baseline too.

Played for a bit this evening. Frame Gen is busted for me using FSR3, the game crashes to desktop with it enabled, but it didn't really matter since after just a few minutes on a planet with dinosaurs and insects I kind of remembered why I didn't care for the game at all.

Even without the visual bugs and crashes, the game is just so uninteresting. Boring enemies, boring characters and yeah, it's not a good game in my opinion.

Fredrik

No Mans Sky allowed you to land anywhere on planets so that was never an issue really.
I played it at launch and going up and down with the ship was not convenient at all, and wasted resources, and you still had long long walks, sometimes you didn’t even have a working ship or couldn’t carry much resources and no easy fast travel. The update where we got vehicles was a fantastic update!

Variahunter

Since they finally add vehicles, I want them to also spawn the complete planet procedurally, so it's finally a cohesive and linked world and not disjointed random squares.
They can have load times between zones, no problem.
The oupost can be sparse, I don't care either.

I just want something that feels like a real world to explore and not some amusement park. If I embark on a journey and decide to land on a planet, I want to feel that the decisions I make matters.

Coincidentally, they've corrected some of the things I wanted :

1eZME0S.png

- Environnemental damage and afflictions seems customizable. Huge win for me.
- Weigh system too. Though the vehicle might resolve entirely that problem by having carry capacity.
- Sustenance is also a good system that might make you think twice about venturing far from your ship. Well, if the generated map is really augmented compared to what it actually is today. If not, it will mostly have zero impact so pretty useless.
- Damage system : I'm kind of sceptic on this one. I hope it won't end in enemies just being bullet sponges in the extreme difficulty... but I had no quarries with the battle system to begin with.
- Save doesn't seem customizable ? No toggle on this screen.
- Also great idea to link those new gameplay options to earned XP. Want more challenge ? Get rewarded.

They still have to do :

- Entire planet generated (No man's Sky and a lot of other games do it, so no excuses) so the vehicle feels usefull.
- Using a resource to space travel, AT LEAST for light speed in between the solar systems. And no, space reactor capability does not cut it.
- Actually needing to fly towards your destination, and being able to land only by being close to this destination.
- Adding more variety to outposts, caves and the likes.
- Having lush planets being really lush, not almost barren jungle with 3 or 4 sparse trees (exagerating here ofc, but mods have shown that they were lacking on this)

They don't even need to add the ability to land yourself on a planet, it's more immersive but not immersion breaking imo, but they absolutely need to make you fly to your destination and FEEL the journey.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Now this definitely should have been in at launch, why it was omitted in the first place is beyond me, seemed obvious
Because the tasks/missions on the map are generated as you walk on the fly and vehicles would have crashed that system.

This game is such a joke. How these idiots could think these mundanely generated tasks could carry the exploration of hundreds of planets is beyond me.

midnightAI

I played it at launch and going up and down with the ship was not convenient at all, and wasted resources, and you still had long long walks, sometimes you didn’t even have a working ship or couldn’t carry much resources and no easy fast travel. The update where we got vehicles was a fantastic update!
Oh yeh, the update made things more convenient but my point was Starfield you don't even have that option, you have to run/walk, for ages sometimes and you have run stamina so if you are carrying too much you can't even run great distances without stopping/being forced to walk

Last edited:

Ashamam

Can’t wait to see how John from DF backtracks on 30 fps being ok because it was CPU limited.

Actually never mind DF will just say great work MS and move on like they weren’t the no.1 enabler of Bethesda BS.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Wasn't the 30 fps their "creative vision"???
Yes. But apparently, now, it was a creative choice because of a hardware constraint which they've now overcome. Whilst also at the time of release the hardware/platform wasn't the reason for the creative choice. So when they used the phrase "creative choice". They weren't talking bollocks at all. No sir.

If you need me to walk you through it again. I'll need a leather couch moment first....

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

this game was severely cpu bound at launch. it required months of optimizations to get to this point. if simply reducing crowds was an option, they wouldve done that at launch, but as we saw on PC, reducing the crowd density from high to low only offered a 6% boost and made the entire city a ghost town.
No one is arguing that the game was CPU-bound. And I don't care how many months it "required" for them to do this opr that,. any more than they cared about whatever money I spent to play their game. Its not like they accept excuses from us for paying half the money since we are not getting all the features we want, so why should we be making excuse for them.

They needed more time to get the 60fps mode. Fine. Just fucking say so. Do not however come tell us it's a creative decision. Or how 60fps wouldn't be possible. Bla bla bla...
it is also using a realtime GI system akin to Software Lumen that no Sony first party game is using. its bizarre to compare two different games. Besides, Sony simply doesnt make anything this systems driven. their action adventure games have rpg elements but we simply shouldnt be comparing the CPU loads of Baldurs Gate 3 and Starfield to action adventure games sony is pushing out.
Again, why should I give a fuck? You are making excuses for them. The very systems-driven game that you are championing, which they said meant 60fps was off the table, is what they are now offering with a 60fps mode. And sorry, SM2, is more open world than this game would ever be. This games open world is more akin to what we see in GOW. Open linear. Systems driven... I can't believe you would suggest that sony doesn't make systems driven games as if SM2 isn't a thing... unless of course you only count stockpiling sandwiches and potatoes as being systems-driven.

You willing to wager that with even more optimization they cant get it performing even better?
Besides, lets not forget that HFW shipped with a broken 60 fps mode with some of the worst IQ ive ever seen in a 60 fps game. Shimmering everywhere. their upscaling solution simply couldnt handle it to the point where DF was saying people should play it at 30 fps. it took them 4 months to fix it. Took Larian 3 months to fix their CPU issues. It's taken bethesda longer but either way, these things take time. no one is perfect.
Shipped with a broken 60fps mode, but guess what, it was there from day one. And it received patches. And in under a month or so, it was fixed. This game came out over 6 months without a 60fps mode. NO 60FPS mode at all. Period.

And again, yes... I get these things take time. I get these things arent easy. But this is exactly why I say we weren't born yesterday... just comeout and say that. Do not try and gaslight us with some creative decision bullshit, then have the media peddling that bullshit and talking about how they are doing things no one has ever done before... yh right.
You say we werent born yesterday and yet ignore all the CPU bound games that have released in the last year alone. Hogwarts, Baldurs Gate 3, Zelda TOTK, Star Wars, Starfield, Forza, Dragons Dogma 2. These devs are not all incompetent. Sometimes you just push things for fidelity and the creative vision and what you get is a 30 fps game. In ToTK's case, a 20 fps game every time you pull out the physics tool. Every single time. is nintendo incompetent? At least these other games are mostly 30 fps. We have been playing 30 fps games for decades. No one accused rockstar, ND, GG, kojima, or bungie of being incompetent.
I have had this conversation with you before. And not gonna get dragged into it again.

There are differences between having CPU bottleneck and having underutilized CPUs as a result of poor optimization.

Dves do not have to be incompetent to have different priorities. That is all well and good, just don't come out and say the machine couldn't do this or that.

Chronos24

Something told me to wait to play this on my series X. I tried to when it launched and also after a couple updates but for some reason 30fps for this game was just not good. It's weird how other 30fps games didn't seem as juddery like TotK or FF16 but this one was just too much for me to play. I had a feeling they were gonna eventually put a 60fps patch out and glad I was right.

damidu

Can’t wait to see how John from DF backtracks on 30 fps being ok because it was CPU limited.

Actually never mind DF will just say great work MS and move on like they weren’t the no.1 enabler of Bethesda BS.
yeah lol bethesda were lauded for pushing cpu to its limits at 30fps, now they will be lauded for adding standard day1 features a year later. can't go wrong with those df morons.
they'll parrot whatever ms pr of the day they are fed.

fools who paid extra to play the unfinished mess a week early are the real suckers here.
but i guess most of them are happy members of todd&phill defence corp. already.

Dane

Good to know they're listening to issues that people complained about and doing it relatively fast, cyberpunk was even more barebones and took them three years to add all the basic expected features.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What happened to their creative decision? Another Fail!

So I guess 30fps is no longer the "creative decision".

PS - For some reason the bloke nonchalantly holding a mug really wound me up.

Didn't this game run at less than 1440p on series?

very bad of Microsoft not to respect Bethesda's creative vision

But but but the consoles can't handle it but we need pro versions but my creative vision but 60FPS doesn't matter...

"Bethesda compromises on original creative vision."

Missed opportunity for a headline there, adamsapple adamsapple 😛

Wasn't the 30 fps their "creative vision"???

No one is arguing that the game was CPU-bound. And I don't care how many months it "required" for them to do this opr that,. any more than they cared about whatever money I spent to play their game. Its not like they accept excuses from us for paying half the money since we are not getting all the features we want, so why should we be making excuse for them.

They needed more time to get the 60fps mode. Fine. Just fucking say so. Do not however come tell us it's a creative decision. Or how 60fps wouldn't be possible. Bla bla bla...

Again, why should I give a fuck? You are making excuses for them. The very systems-driven game that you are championing, which they said meant 60fps was off the table, is what they are now offering with a 60fps mode. And sorry, SM2, is more open world than this game would ever be. This games open world is more akin to what we see in GOW. Open linear. Systems driven... I can't believe you would suggest that sony doesn't make systems driven games as if SM2 isn't a thing... unless of course you only count stockpiling sandwiches and potatoes as being systems-driven.

You willing to wager that with even more optimization they cant get it performing even better?

Shipped with a broken 60fps mode, but guess what, it was there from day one. And it received patches. And in under a month or so, it was fixed. This game came out over 6 months without a 60fps mode. NO 60FPS mode at all. Period.

And again, yes... I get these things take time. I get these things arent easy. But this is exactly why I say we weren't born yesterday... just comeout and say that. Do not try and gaslight us with some creative decision bullshit, then have the media peddling that bullshit and talking about how they are doing things no one has ever done before... yh right.

I have had this conversation with you before. And not gonna get dragged into it again.

There are differences between having CPU bottleneck and having underutilized CPUs as a result of poor optimization.

Dves do not have to be incompetent to have different priorities. That is all well and good, just don't come out and say the machine couldn't do this or that.
The "creative vision" 30 fps mode didn't go anywhere.

Sethbacca

That’s fine, but half this forum acts like Starfield is unplayable garbage because of the engine.
Just my opinion of course, but the engine is 100% showing its age at this point. Bethesda needs to do something because the one trick pony they've got going has clearly run its course. Starfield isn't unplayable because of the engine, it's just not a great game because it's not a great game. A change in engine wouldn't have made Starfield any better because it was the game that's the problem.

no mod support or tools yet...... :messenger_poop: 🤡
paid mods have the tools .... :rolleyes:
to little to late, it wont recover, they should have release the mod tools 6 months ago would have greatly helped.

Last edited:

scydrex

So the S to run this game at 60fps would have to be maybe 720p? Was going to say 900p but searched and i saw it runs at base res 900p 30fps on S not even 1080p. I read about the 30fps creative choice back then knew it was pure garbage.

Edit: upscaled to 1440p and 4k using FSR 2.

Last edited:

Fbh

Reason 948 not to buy games at launch
6-10 months seems to be the sweet spot right now for getting them fairly cheap and actually finished

So the S to run this game at 60fps would have to be maybe 720p? Was going to say 900p but searched and i saw it runs at 900p 30fps on S not even 1080p. I read about the 30fps creative choice back then knew it was pure garbage.

If I'm not reading the info in the OP wrong it sounds like the 60fps mode will be on Series X only

ebevan91

Just booted up the beta to check out the city maps and apparently I've missed a big chunk of New Atlantis? There's one section of the map where there's a lot of undiscovered shops/locations. I've never seen these before.

j0hnnix

I still have to continue the starborn play through. Maybe they forgot to add those options to Fallout 4.

They are downgrading number of crowds, their lighting engine and other level of detail which devs poured almost 8 years authoring. No one wants to put in all that effort only to have half the players turn all of that off for 60 fps.
This really makes the lack of a series x pro suck even more based on the options given to us here they are doing something almost no game does and allow you basically choose all the quality presets while unlocking the frame rate basically as a toggle which is the ultimate future proof. A series x pro could have done that at 60+

Do you guys remember that Sony warrior who would do the laughter react on everything that remotely portrayed or informed of Xbox related news in a positive light? I don't remember his name, but he was banned for it eventually.

Is demigod the new version of him?

OT: I dropped off the game a bit ago, but I've been meaning to get back to it. Big update here, so I really hope it doesn't break any saves. Will definitely give this a shot.
Edit: Already answered

Last edited:
Now all I need is a clutter fix (no more sandwiches in the void) and planet gravity in interior locations (no more 1G caves on 0.01G planets).
I would also like Warframe style generation for interiors - maybe in Starfield 2 lol

Top Bottom