• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting this August, PS Now support will be on PS4 and PC only

jwk94

On August 15, 2017, we will be discontinuing the service on the following devices:
PlayStation 3
PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV
All 2013, 2014, 2015 Sony Bravia TV models
All Sony Blu-ray player models
All Samsung TV models
Additionally, 2016 models of Sony Bravia TVs will be discontinued on April 1, 2017.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/15/playstation-now-service-update/

I wonder if they'll give back the money people spent on subscriptions to play on all those cancelled devices.

Is there a different server farm / backend for those systems? There's got to be a better way to serve those devices or a more efficient way..

I feel like if they are taking away, they need to give something in return.

Unknown?

I guess it helps them streamline development but it seems like a huge blow as far as mainstream reach. Maybe not so much on PS3 or Vita but Samsung TVs is a big hit. Seriously they probably don't get many subscribers from PS3(who would when they have a PS3?) or Vita. PS4 and PC is where they'll see most subscriptions.

Dsyndrome

On August 15, 2017, we will be discontinuing the service on the following devices:
PlayStation 3
PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV
All 2013, 2014, 2015 Sony Bravia TV models
All Sony Blu-ray player models
All Samsung TV models

Additionally, 2016 models of Sony Bravia TVs will be discontinued on April 1, 2017.
Fuck man.

The only reason they gave on the blog is this:

After thoughtful consideration, we decided to shift our focus and resources to PS4 and Windows PC to further develop and improve the user experience on these two devices. This move puts us in the best position to grow the service even further.

fixuis

The case for this is obvious, no? Give a little taste then take it back so now people who really want it on their couches will have to buy ps4/pro..?

Wasn't the whole: "You can enjoy Playstation games on your TV without even needing a console" one of the major selling points of the service? How odd.

Vashetti

Banned
Very strange to remove it from TVs. I thought it was a clever way to get people hooked on it who don't otherwise have a games console.

PS3 is strange too. Wonder if more PS3 services will go offline this year? It's in its 10th year now.

Arulan

Closed-platforms...

I wonder if they have long-term plans for the service, or if this is a sign that it'll eventually disappear.

black070

Sony said:
After thoughtful consideration, we decided to shift our focus and resources to PS4 and Windows PC to further develop and improve the user experience on these two devices. This move puts us in the best position to grow the service even further. If you use any of the above devices, we want to give our heartfelt thanks for your support, and we hope you’ll continue with us. Remember that all of your PS Now cloud game saves can easily be accessed on both PS4 and Windows PC

Is the reason they're giving.

I've never heard of a good experience playing PSNow wirelessly, on Vita or otherwise. I wish they fixed the experience, but I doubt that made any business sense. With the shift of focus to PC, I hope they add XInput support to both Remote Play and PSNow so I can use the 360 controller I play everything with on Playstation.

Spacejaws

Damn this is a real kick in the teeth. I actually enjoy playing Red Dead Redemption on my Vita. What fucking reason would I have it on PS4 I'd just plug in my PS3.

Takao

Banned
The cost of supporting those devices is probably higher than the money they make out of them...

How? These devices should tap into the same servers that the PS4 and PC clients do. The main cost would be the app, which Sony already developed.

Why would you turn away money? Was it too expensive to maintain all those servers? Or was it just not working quality-wise?

Because they aren't turning away money. PSNow is definitely losing Sony money and they're trying to cut costs wherever they can. It probably costs them more to maintain the project on all of these platforms than the subscribers using these devices actually bring in.

harz-marz

PS Now, in comparison to the likes of EA Access, offers such awful value for money IMO. I've never tried it but that is purely due to pricing.

Sony and Nintendo has a goldmine of superb older gems, why do they make it so difficult and expensive to enjoy them?

PS Now must be really unpopular on these devices
or period
. I guess it's sort of like Netflix where eventually they'll stop updating the app for certain devices and then the support follows.

I never understood this from Netflix either though tbh. Just don't update the app to the fancy new interface, but just keep the titles coming. Isn't the power of these sort of services that you could basically play it on a toaster as long as it has wifi connectivity and a display? Why cut the wire??? Especially Vita is hard to swallow. Talk about kicking a dead horse lol.

Vashetti

Banned
Very strange to remove it from TVs. I thought it was a clever way to get people hooked on it who don't otherwise have a games console.

PS3 is strange too. Wonder if more PS3 services will go offline this year? It's in its 10th year now.

Unknown?

Is it strange? They probably don't get many subscribers from PS3 because they're subscribing to a service that plays PS3 games.

13ruce

Banned
Ah the old cocky Sony is back.
If they lowered the price a bit it could have been a succes like Netflix but for gaming.

Top Bottom