• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
lV8Ldho.png

Welcome to the December 2015 NeoGAF Steam thread! Nobody will post here because of the sale...

ogGlkLY.jpg

MO4Vo1s.png

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - DrDogg
Kept you waiting huh? No wait that’s a different franchise. So yeah a little later than we all expected but you can rush perfection! And closing out the Fabula Nova Cystallis arc of Final Fantasy titles is Lightning Returns, truly Toriyama’s bizarrest adventure yet. There is a great pixel art recap vid in 16bit style but is a bit spoilery if you haven’t played XIII or XIII-2 but the game picks up after the events of the first two games.

Lightning is awoken after 500 years of crystal stasis by Bhunivelze, the God of Light. The world is set of end in 13 days and Lightning has been tasked as The Saviour to help free the souls of humanity of their burdens and guide them to a new world that Bhunivelze will create. Helping her from The Ark is Hope but she also encounters her other former allies and adversaries whilst carrying out her tasks as well as a mysterious spitting image of her sister Serah who both advises and toys with Lightning.

So that’s probably the sane version of the basic plot but it really needs to be seen to do it justice. So in gameplay terms things are a little different here. For a start the battle system is rather different from the past 2 games and now dubbed Style-Change Active Time Battle. What that mouthful means is now you have a line up of just Lightning and replacing the Paradigm system of the past 2 games is tied to specific outfits, dubbed Garbs, that are light Dress Spheres from X-2, Lightning can equip 3 Garbs that alter her stats and abilities with each also having their own ATB gauge. These can/need to be swapped during battle as you would paradigms and seeing as the difficulty is a tad harder you’re going to need to mix it up and have a good balance of abilities to stay ahead in battle this time.

The other two gameplay features that are new are The Doomsday Clock and various sidequests to undertake. The Doomsday Clock is kind of like your timer and your various objectives and quests feed into this as certain events will start or need to be completed by a certain time. You’re initially given 7 days to explore the world, but as you complete more side quests this increases. The world is semi open with areas to explore and people to interact with as well as stores and low polly dogs abound. There is also an ability that allows you to stop the flow of time temporarily to help you manage your busy schedule. Some of these quests add some backstory, others reward you with new Garbs and some are just fucking hilarious. It’s like crazy mixed up spin on elements of Dead Rising, Chrono Trigger and Majora’s Mask.

There’s waaay more I can say but I also ditched the game after 5 or so hours due to the PS3 performance being a tad unbearable for me. Speaking of which depite the delay try to expect this to perform exactly like XIII and XIII-2 and don’t expect more than a stable 30fps unless you want to sacrifice a lot of resolution (if you really want to understand how bonkers Crystal Tools is go remove the frame limited via hex editing XIII-2’s exe and see what happens when you with exceed or fail to meet a 16.7ms update).

Also all but 1 item of DLC from the console releases is included in the PC release which were all new Grabs to play dress up/with use for battle. Speaking of dress up and Garbs there are bloody loads of them. Some crazy designs, some swish designs, some nice call backs to other titles in the franchise and some probably directly from the bonkers dreams of Toriyama himself, there’s an outfits for everyone’s taste.

OCRjaRV.png

Just Cause 3 - Kurt Russell
Just Cause 3 is a single player third person open world action adventure game with vehicles, guns and a gun toting male protagonist. Don't let that opening sentence fool you though. Just Cause 3 doesn't follow the "Ubisoft style" open world design. You won't be climbing towers to unlock new areas of the map (you may climb a tower before blowing it up, but that's another story) and you won't be playing as your typical white male stereotype going on a crusade to do something just cause he's a bit of a douche (yeah, I'm looking at you Aiden Pierce and Jason Brody) Instead, you play Rico Rodriguez, a mexican born, italian raised government agent that specializes in blowing up stuff and toppling corrupt dictators with his all american pal Sheldon.

Rico Rodriguez has a not so secret weapon in his arsenal, a grappling hook. Only that Rico's grappling hook is not your typical traversal tool. Mr. Rodriguez's contraption can be used to hang from buildings, build up speed when you are flying on your wingsuit and, last but not least, tying up people, animals, vehicles and things together. This mechanic adds a lot of depth and variation to your typical open world formula, and is boosted by the increased amount of destructible objects that can be found in the game world.

Playing as Rico, you'll attempt to take down the corrupt dictator that rules over the small island of Medici (fictional land set in the Mediterranean, Rico grew up in Medici, so this time it's personal) You will be aided by a mostly incompetent band of rebel fighters, and will spend most of the time blowing up stuff and creating chaos.

So, yeah, what are you waiting for? Let's blow sh** up!

2RNElnv.png

Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - jshackles
Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below's PC release seemingly came out of nowhere. Since the game was previously exclusive to the PS4, most people assumed it would stay that way. In this case, I'm glad that they assumed incorrectly. However, Koei is known for having vastly inferrior PC ports of their console games so please keep your expectations in check with this release - especially since they've already stated that the maximum rendering resolution on the PC version is 1920x1080.

Dragon Quest Heroes takes place in a world where monsters and humans live in peaceful harmony, but that peace is shattered as the evil wizard Velasco unleashes the power of the God of Darkness. It's up to the Children of Light (the male and female protagonists, Luceus and Aurora) to stop him, along with a band of characters both old and new to the Dragon Quest series. There are Alena, Kiryl, and Maya from DQ4; Bianca and Nera from DQ5; Terry from DQ6; and Jessica and Yangus from DQ8 who all aid you on your quest. They join up with new heroes like Healix - the healslime who seems to be the only creature immune to Velasco's powers.

The game is an absolute treat to play, especially for an old Dragon Quest fan like myself. All of your favorite iconic Dragon Quest monsters are present and accounted for, along with a score of music selected from the previous games in the series. Even though it's a SquareEnix/Koei mashup, the game more closely resembles an Action RPG than a Musou game. Your characters level up and gain new abilities as you progress through the game's story - you'll also unlock new weapons and armor, collect mini-medals, try your hand at alchemy, save your game at a church, and more. The story missions are a blast to play and the Steam store page mentions that this should run at a full 60fps.

The main storyline typically takes around 30 hours to complete, and the game offers a variety of post-game content. The US release (and by extension, the Steam release) includes all of the DLC that was available in the Japanese release - including a new playable character and lots of other goodies. The Steam release also includes the 9 "slime" weapons that can be used in the game, but they're honestly not very good and are easily outclassed after about an hour or two of gameplay - but it's a nice gesture that they're offered here for free.

If you're a fan of Dragon Quest or are just looking for a solid action RPG, you should definitely give Dragon Quest Heroes a shot.

ld11SZ0.png

Helldivers - Uzzy
HELLDIVERS is a top down twin stick shooter, developed by Arrowhead Game Studios. Alone or with up to four players, it's up to you to defend Super Earth and democracy from the terrible alien menace that haunts the stars and hates our freedoms. Visit exotic planets and liberate them in the name of democracy, bring the benefits of human civilisation to their lands, using advanced, superior firepower that is entirely safe to deploy. Work together as a team, co-ordinate your attacks, remember your training and you will make it back alive!

We'll get the obvious out of the way, this is Starship Troopers meets Magicka. It's got the wonderfully satirical fascist-dystopian setting from the Starship Troopers movie, and the intense, chaotic action from the Magicka series. Friendly fire is always on, the aliens vast and overwhelming, your own weapons are deadly and highly inaccurate, reinforcements are complicated to call down, especially in the heat of battle when you need them most. It's the moment to moment chaos of dropping onto one of the procedural generated worlds, running into a bug patrol, desperately trying to kill them before they set off an alarm, failing and having to run away from overwhelming enemy forces, desperately calling in orbital strikes which wipe out some of the enemy and half your team, while still trying to somehow complete the mission, so you call in reinforcements to respawn your team mates, only for their drop pods to land right on your heads and wiping you all out.

5uWiZO9.png

iLl16Gv.png

Brawlhalla - Caerith
Brawlhalla is a free-to-play 2D arena brawler where a cowgirl can lasso a minotaur.

The game is primarily a brawler, with an easy online 4-player free for all mode, 1v1 or 2v2 ranked ladders, and support for up to 8 players in custom game modes, like team deathmatch or Brawlball. It can easily be played with friends on the couch, strangers online, or a mix of couch and online.

Brawlhalla is entirely free to play, and is supported by selling skins and taunts, which are awesome but purely cosmetic. The roster of characters is on a weekly rotation, but individual characters can be permanently unlocked by spending in-game gold earned by fighting.

It's a very smooth, very polished game. Everything about it works like you'd expect from a finished product, which is notable since it's in Early Access and only went into open beta in November. The developer is very dedicated and involved, and the community is large and active, with several thousand people playing at any given time who can attest to the fact that Brawlhalla is a lot of fun.

ymZUPIW.jpg

• Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread. The discussion of splitting retail packs is fine though.
  • Do not spam post your steam stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.
  • Examples of good posting behaviour and bad posting behaviour.
  • Don't hype pre-order bundles that you have no idea about. Just buy them!

hfRPttG.jpg

TNJTePu.jpg

HqIhxQF.jpg

Previous Threads:
Since it's December, here is a look back on all of the 2015 Steam threads. Enjoy!

November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes - Who Posted?
T3nb82w.png

October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam". - Who Posted?
ogNJzlp.gif

September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us - Who Posted?
j1PTF2N.png

August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life - Who Posted?
FSdHjXm.png

July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds - Who Posted?
ZmtaJsj.png

June II 2015 - Click the Monsters You Monster - Who Posted?
fhMI3zV.png

June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards! - Who Posted?
PykJEYp.png

May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem! - Who Posted?
c9J6Dj9.png

April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.” - Who Posted?
yE6msIk.png

March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE? - Who Posted?
y38Bo8L.jpg

February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed - Who Posted?
ibwTM2ppbsyWni.jpg

January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed - Who Posted?
iXoMCaCsb3jnk.jpg

The first post of the year was also the most wrong.

It's been an honor and pleasure to serve you as the master of ceremonies for the past nine months. MRORANGE will be back in January heading up the Steam threads, but if he ever decides to step down (or needs a month off) in the future I'd be happy to step in any time. I'm lucky to count most of SteamGAF among my friends, and it fills me with great joy knowing there is a place like SteamGAF where all are welcome. Finally, I leave you with a few final words of wisdom:

R3uz78h.gif
xWVq5Hs.gif

Jawmuncher

Wow what a horrible thread, the old one was better. This thread doesn't even have Steam Sales. When is the firefox support anyway?

/jk good job as always

That banner is damn good shacks. The title.....eh....

Maybe it's the removal of the dailies or something, but this sale felt real bad. I think I checked Steam once and then never again.

Wow what a horrible thread, the old one was better. This thread doesn't even have Steam Sales. When is the firefox support anyway?

/jk good job as always

yeah seriously how does that jerk have time to make a thread about steam when HE CANT EVEN FIX HIS DUMB SOFTWARE if only he would get back to work!

/s Great OT per usual :)

So do we have any idea if Dragon Quest Heroes is a port of the PS4 version? Friend of mine got it there and he says it's a really fun game to play. But then Tecmo Koei and their shit ports...

Tizoc

Good moning SteamGAF

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Adventures of Pip -- MB-701555E520DB0696 - Taken by maty. 32 entrants total.
Grandia II -- MB-25D761C265FDC36F - Taken by CheesecakeRecipe. 84 entrants total.
Binary Domain -- MB-02950093867DBC19 - Taken by gurm3n. 18 entrants total.
Kero Blast -- MB-4A753763BBA2CED4 - Taken by Nzyme32. 46 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Dragon Quest Heroes -- MB-C39883C1DC70E83F - Taken by Messiah. 129 entrants total.
Ikaruga -- MB-1EE300FF7E883AB6 - Taken by AsylumX. 45 entrants total.
Freedom Planet -- MB-C072A0E740E41EFD - Taken by AcademicSaucer. 4 entrants total.
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara -- MB-CE724EFB3A0854F1 - Taken by pantsattack. 25 entrants total.

t1448998284z1.png

Time to go to work

yes welcome Dragon Quest but not Koei-Tecmo ports oh god

It's about their 7th port, right? Seven is the lucky number!

So do we have any idea if Dragon Quest Heroes is a port of the PS4 version? Friend of mine got it there and he says it's a really fun game to play. But then Tecmo Koei and their shit ports...

Yes, the system requirement shows DX11 which is the PS4 version.
Don't expect much from them though, as Kiwami was also DX11 and 1:1 PS4 version. But direct port is not a good port for PC (few resolutions support, 30fps, etc).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sad news Steambros

That bug was supposed to be fixed by tonight's Aurora build, but that didn't happen and got pushed back to mid-December. For those wondering, this bug is preventing me from porting Enhanced Steam to Firefox's new WebExtensions API.

Jawmuncher

lol-banner2us9a.png

In this game you play as some dudes AND GALS in a RTS fashion and fight other players and towers. Along with some smaller units. I think there might be more to it but it's pretty complicated. There's also a character called poppy, that most call poopy. So this game might be for you! A+++ Highly Recommended, would talk about again.

jshackles

lol-banner2us9a.png

In this game you play as some dudes AND GALS in a RTS fashion and fight other players and towers. Along with some smaller units. I think there might be more to it but it's pretty complicated. There's also a character called poppy, that most call poopy. So this game might be for you!

too much capitalization and punctuation 0/10

Sad news Steambros

That bug was supposed to be fixed by tonight's Aurora build, but that didn't happen and got pushed back to mid-December. For those wondering, this bug is preventing me from porting Enhanced Steam to Firefox's new WebExtensions API.

Hopefully it's sorted before 2016!^^

Jazz573

lol-banner2us9a.png

In this game you play as some dudes AND GALS in a RTS fashion and fight other players and towers. Along with some smaller units. I think there might be more to it but it's pretty complicated. There's also a character called poppy, that most call poopy. So this game might be for you! A+++ Highly Recommended, would talk about again.

That's not Snakebird. THIS is Snakebird. Buy Snakebird.

Ok, no more Snakebird spamming from me.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Ah, a new thread and a new temptation to buy Dragon Quest Heroes when I still haven't finished Hyrule Warriors yet.

Speaking of temptations, has anyone played Kaiju-A-GoGo? How deep of a strategy game is it or is just there enough to justify not just having monsters destroy the entire city at once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom