• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For thread close talk, confirmed this thread will be closed, and we've been asked and told its fine to advertise the Steam Community thread as a way to introduce some new blood to the Order of Dago-Err, Steam Community Thread.

milena87

I wish Steam Cards were as easy to find as the Xbox or PS ones. You can at least count on someone, somewhere, making a mistake and letting you pay 25€ for the 50€ cards.
I think my brother used all his savings on Xbox cards when it happened to the Comet storie near his school.

well just don't start posting anime so that they aren't scared off immediately

I wish Steam Cards were as easy to find as the Xbox or PS ones. You can at least count on someone, somewhere, making a mistake and letting you pay 25€ for the 50€ cards.
I think my brother used all his savings on Xbox cards when it happened to the Comet storie near his school.

sure, but steam offers so many avenues to make things cheaper. Besides having competing storefronts dueling it out for low prices, you have the option to sell cards and items earned in games to offset costs. Alien Isolation and FF Type-0 came in much cheaper thanks to that.

Also, anyone know when the batman TF2 stuff will be marketable?

Jawmuncher

People seem to miss that the sales thread will basically be this thread back on gaming side. Back in the day when we got locked during sales, that's exactly how we treated it. We were ourselves and helped out with questions. Come the last day of the sale, we started bringing up that the thread would be locked and that we would go back to the other thread. Granted that thread was on gaming side so we were on the same page, but people aren't that dumb. We don't need to do blatant advertising. They'll figure out who is in the community and go from there.

Frankly the negativity is what's killing me most in here. With these attitudes were better off just having no thread on either side period with some of these remarks.

Hektor

Frankly the negativity is what's killing me most in here. With these attitudes were better off just having no thread on either side period with some of these remarks.

You're not wrong, but...
image.php

€: Oh wait, it's actually don't bully again? Waaaah

Nabs

I don't see the problem with shutting this down temporarily, Steam sale threads used to be a nice way of getting new blood. Being in Community (and treating this thread like a chat room) has kept the new user count low. Might as well give this a shot.

People seem to miss that the sales thread will basically be this thread back on gaming side. Back in the day when we got locked during sales, that's exactly how we treated it. We were ourselves and helped out with questions. Come the last day of the sale, we started bringing up that the thread would be locked and that we would go back to the other thread. Granted that thread was on gaming side so we were on the same page, but people aren't that dumb. We don't need to do blatant advertising. They'll figure out who is in the community and go from there.

It's all volvo's fault, they ruined christmas with their no flash or dailies :p

Dusk Golem

Oui, what happened while I was gone! D8 I'm a bundle of hopeless horror optmism, I'll have to inject more of my own quirkiness into it.

I am just saying I don't think it will bring this insane influx of people that you are expecting is all. Let's not get dramatic Jaw. I am just a bit skeptical.

That I would, so the leaking on that was confirmed, huh?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1160429

Grief.exe

I don't see the problem with shutting this down temporarily, Steam sale threads used to be a nice way of getting new blood. Being in Community (and treating this thread like a chat room) has kept the new user count low. Might as well give this a shot.

I haven't seen an argument for keeping this thread open that isn't emotionally-based.

I totally agree with Nabs here, treating this thread like a personal chat room along with being locked into community has strangled growth.

Jawmuncher

No harm in trying something new. Even if it's just one 1 new member it was worth it. Dunno why so many people just want to hold up in community like we're living in a fallout vault or something.

milena87

sure, but steam offers so many avenues to make things cheaper. Besides having competing storefronts dueling it out for low prices, you have the option to sell cards and items earned in games to offset costs. Alien Isolation and FF Type-0 came in much cheaper thanks to that.

Yep, Steam (and PC gaming in general) is pretty great, but imagine all that AND having even more Steam money to spend with the same amount of real money! :p

MUnited83

For you.
No harm in trying something new. Even if it's just one 1 new member it was worth it. Dunno why so many people just want to hold up in community like we're living in a fallout vault or something.

Number of people who will come over to the Steam thread if this one gets locked = the number of people who would come over if it didn't.

Grief.exe

Number of people who will come over to the Steam thread if this one gets locked = the number of people who would come over if it didn't.

Locking this one is a loss with zero advantages, so it's seems a weird thing to try.

How can you possibly support that position empirically?

In fact, if you start looking at past evidence you will find our biggest influx of users were post Steam sales when the main thread was locked down.

Jawmuncher

We used to lock the main steam thread for sales, I don't get this negative attitude. We're literally doing what we used too. Posting in a new thread while the other is locked. Only difference is that we're not on gaming side. People aren't that dumb, if they like the thread, they'll figure out where to go after the sales of they want to keep interacting.

Dusk Golem

Speaking of misc horror ethusiasm...

Lakeview Cabin Collection is absolutely fantastic and I'll be pushing it during the sale. It's in 'early access', but it's more-so an episodic game with episodes still releasing. I think some people here would adore it. It's kind of a sandbox slasher-horror game where you control four characters you can alternate between and go through a slasher horror scenario (the episodes actually have some very good variety). It's a mixture of silly dumb fun (get super drunk and vomit to then slip on your own vomit, fall off a building and have your leg snap off then kill your dog with your leg, streak naked and dose the area with gasoline and then set yourself on fire, etc), but also some apt problem solving to survive the killer(s) and reach one of the endings. Includes unlickables, lots of dumb fun but surprisingly fun survival scenarios... I think a lot here would love it.

Jawmuncher

I seriously just want people to post on gaming side without bitching and being holier than thou to people asking questions. At its current state of I wasn't already a part of this, I probably wouldn't even bother with this thread. We're too complacent in here and now scared of change which is just terrible.

Nabs

I mean it can't be any worse than the new influx of peeps from Summer Sale 2014. Can it?

The moment this thread turned into a true anime chatroom.

I seriously just want people to post on gaming side without bitching and being holier than thou to people asking questions. At its current state of I wasn't already a part of this, I probably wouldn't even bother with this thread. We're too complacent in here and now scared of change which is just terrible.

We used to be a real positive bunch.

Tizoc

I AM OUT OF THE LOOP. On the road for ONE DAY...

(On the road right now to visit family for holidays, as is, but great news!)

Enjoy the holidays mate, I'll get the Hidden Gems thread written up and PM it to you if you want to make the thread, otherwise I'll get it up by tomorrow.

My 2 cents:

There's a reason this is a community thread. It's used to talk about everything and anything tangentially related to Steam. That's why the thread was moved in the first place.

The thread on the gaming side will be focussed on the sale, and that will drown out any other "Steam Community" talk. This always happened before when all Steam threads were on Gaming side, where many of the regular posters of the monthly threads simply stopped posting for the duration of the sale, and it will happen this time. I don't really care what happens since I expect the sale to be pretty slow and boring, but this is how it is. Closing this thread as a way to do some kind of recruitement drive is pretty weird. The reason it doesn't get many new posters is because it's on the Community side, and no one looks here. That won't change, every community thread is like this.

Grief.exe

My 2 cents:

There's a reason this is a community thread. It's used to talk about everything and anything tangentially related to Steam. That's why the thread was moved in the first place.

Incorrect.

The moderators decided to move all threads of this nature to community permanently to avoid clogging up the front page of the forum.

really care what happens since I expect the sale to be pretty slow and boring, but this is how it is. Closing this thread as a way to do some kind of recruitement drive is pretty weird. The reason it doesn't get many new posters is because it's on the Community side, and no one looks here. That won't change, every community thread is like this.

Trying to get to the bottom of this mindset.
Why would new users scare you?
How would you propose that we introduce new users to this thread under the current system?

Incorrect.

The moderators decided to move all threads of this nature to community permanently to avoid clogging up the front page of the forum.

Just because all threads like this were moved doesn't mean it's incorrect. There are no catch-all/system threads on the gamimg side anymore so news doesn't get lost in it. "new thread for new news."
Trying to get to the bottom of this mindset.
Why would new users scare you?
Where did I say that? I don't really care one way or another. I'm just saying it won't help much.

New users come here automatically if they're interested in talking about Steam. For the Vita/PSN thread, we often just tell new members who introduce themselves as Vita fans that the thread exists. We don't close it just because there's a big weekly sale.

Dusk Golem

Wherever we may go and whoever may join doesn't matter to me, I like the community for the most part and embrace others to join it. And no matter where we might be posting, I know one thing: I'll be posting ethusiastically about horror games.

You can be sure of that.

MUnited83

For you.
How can you possibly support that position empirically?

In fact, if you start looking at past evidence you will find our biggest influx of users were post Steam sales when the main thread was locked down.

We used to lock the main steam thread for sales, I don't get this negative attitude. We're literally doing what we used too. Posting in a new thread while the other is locked. Only difference is that we're not on gaming side. People aren't that dumb, if they like the thread, they'll figure out where to go after the sales of they want to keep interacting.

See, having people from this thread posting on another one related to a sale changes nothing. Nobody here has some kind of magic posting abilities that will convince anyone to come to the community thread. The sale thread will be the same no matter if this one gets locked or not. People liking the sale thread would still like the sale thread with this one open.

Jawmuncher

The worst thing is originally when we moved to community, we wanted to go back and have a presence on gaming side still. Now we're getting that chance en masse and people don't want to take it for odd reasons. We all need to give this year a try and afterwards we can talk about it. Maybe gaming side sales thread while this is locked will be hell on earth, maybe it won't be so bad and actually good. We won't know unless we try. I'm sure stump will be looking over as well to see if the project is worth continuing in the future.

See, having people from this thread posting on another one related to a sale changes nothing. Nobody here has some kind of magic posting abilities that will convince anyone to come to the community thread. The sale thread will be the same no matter if this one gets locked or not. People liking the sale thread would still like the sale thread with this one open.

There's one big piece you're missing. Just about none of us posted in the last thread while this remained opened. Who is gonna come over here if the sales thread is literally just a sales thread with no help and charm from the community right here. People aren't going to think much of a robotic thread where it's just "Deal is Good, Game is Bad" post from everyone. Which is what the last sales thread was outside a few posts here and there.

Grief.exe

Just because all threads like this were moved doesn't mean it's incorrect. There are no catch-all/system threads on the gamimg side anymore so news doesn't get lost in it. "new thread for new news."

Well, that was why it happened and it was documented as such. It wasn't purely because Steam thread was all encompassing PC thread, every thread of this nature was involved in the switch.

Where did I say that? I don't really care one way or another. I'm just saying it won't help much.

New users come here automatically if they're interested in talking about Steam. For the Vita/PSN thread, we often just tell new members who introduce themselves as Vita fans that the thread exists. We don't close it just because there's a big weekly sale.

I got that impression from your complete opposition to this move and that you said it was 'strange' to attempt to recruit new people.

It's not posting ability, but ignorance. Likely the majority of new users on gaming side haven't checked Community for this thread specifically.
The hope is we can inject new users by letting them know this thread exists.

MUnited83

For you.
There's one big piece you're missing. Just about none of us posted in the last thread while this remained opened. Who is gonna come over here if the sales thread is literally just a sales thread with no help and charm from the community right here. People aren't going to think much of a robotic thread where it's just "Deal is Good, Game is Bad" post from everyone. Which is what the last sales thread was outside a few posts here and there.

Unless you're planning on taking over the sales thread with community talk, it will be what it is. A sales thread. It will be just as robotic as ever. It will be a thread to discuss the sale. Trying to turn a thread that is made specifically for that exact thing into a community thread V2 just sounds counter productive.

It's not posting ability, but ignorance. Likely the majority of new users on gaming side haven't checked Community for this thread specifically.
The hope is we can inject new users by letting them know this thread exists.

If the objective is letting them know this thread exists, the way surely is not to rid of this thread. That makes no sense. And, once again, you can let people know this thread exists on the sales thread without closing this one.

Yeah I think recruiting people for Community threads is pretty weird. I can't think of any other thread that does that.

Hey, PSN-Gaf should start posting all over PSN Sales threads to invite people to the PSN thread! Makes complete sense! Close the PSN thread when there's a sale on PSN too! Again, makes complete sense!

I got that impression from your complete opposition to this move and that you said it was 'strange' to attempt to recruit new people.

Yeah I think recruiting people for Community threads is pretty weird. I can't think of any other thread that feels the need to do that. And I'm not in complete opposition, I even said I don't care. I'm just explaining why the threads are two different things and serve two different purposes.

As I said, the PSN thread doesn't get locked for PSN sales either.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm with Jaw on this. I'm kinda glad this thread is getting locked (even though it's my last as OP) because it'll force everyone here to start posting in the sale thread on the gaming side, rather than hiding out in here where it's "safe".

We're going to see a lot of new faces in that thread, and I'm looking forward to it. We're the ones that live and breathe this stuff so let's put our knowledge to good use and help people where we can in the sale thread.

Jawmuncher

Unless you're planning on taking over the sales thread with community talk, it will be what it is. A sales thread. It will be just as robotic as ever. It will be a thread to discuss the sale. Trying to turn a thread that is made specifically for that exact thing into a community thread V2 just sounds counter productive.

Frankly I hate your negative attitude. I don't see why you're making this harder than it needs to. You can have sales thread with some regular talk in it. You quote someone when they ask a question and they'll see they were answered. If we talk about future games and such they become informed of upcoming developments to steam. Right now all I'm getting from you is negativity for the sake of negativity, you don't want it to work or give it a chance just because you don't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom