• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam has 67m MAU, 33m DAU, 1.5m new buyers per month

Mivey

Hope Valve finishes the new UI before the next decade. Would be nice to see it while I'm still in my 20ies.

Durante

I feel like I'm the only one dreading any new Steam UI being appified.
(That is, actually less featureful and worse to use with a mouse and keyboard)

This seems an extremely common occurrence when any long-running software gets a "new, modern" UI refresh these days.

This seems an extremely common occurrence when any long-running software gets a "new, modern" UI refresh these days.

You arent the only one. That was the first thing I thought of too.

I can see the desktop client going through some 'streamlining' process that reorganizes some stuff but I doubt they'll cut features or reduce the client's functionality. I just hope that this overhaul includes Big Picture Mode as well.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Hopefully the fact that they have a separate big picture mode means they can still focus on a mouse-focused UI for the main client.

Plesiades

they probably feel like they'd rather keep that 30%

They did release The Saboteaur on GOG recently. IIRC correctly, you can see an 'in development' version on SteamDB. I wonder what happened...

I don't think GOG is taking less than 30% in that deal, but who knows.

This has to be the most used product with the fewest number of people working in Customer Service. I genuinely cant think of any other product that even comes close.

And it is mind boggling that they still dont have any option of "live" help. Need assistance? Raise a ticket and wait a couple of days to get an auto reply that asks you to do something that you clearly mentioned you already did in the ticket.

I love you Valve but get your fucking shit together already. There is literally no excuse.

IceMarker

First I'm hearing of a client overhaul, sounds great! Steam has a great UI, but it could always be improved upon, personally I'd like easier ways to see official major and minor updates to games I own, sometimes it's buried in a game's community hub.

I wonder when Steam will reach 100m monthly users...

Bluth54

This has to be the most used product with the fewest number of people working in Customer Service. I genuinely cant think of any other product that even comes close.

And it is mind boggling that they still dont have any option of "live" help. Need assistance? Raise a ticket and wait a couple of days to get an auto reply that asks you to do something that you clearly mentioned you already did in the ticket.

I love you Valve but get your fucking shit together already. There is literally no excuse.

Or maybe you could actually do some research and educate yourself about Valve's current support?

Total Biscuit confirmed on his Valve visit that they now have multiple third party companies that do support for them as well as a group of Valve employees that handle more complex issues. The average response times can be viewed on their support site and they range from less than an hour to a day at the most: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/support
Gabe Newell has also talked about increasing the quality of their response as well as beefing up the size of their support staff: https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Gaben/comments/5olhj4/hi_im_gabe_newell_ama/dck8cxa/

Cud they be doing better? Yes
Are many of your out of date complaints still accurate? No

dr_rus

025700jnzflv3nzuupd95z.jpg

025710qlsyo4g8i4mzdzzy.jpg

So again pretty much all crap but the stuff which you actually use all the time on a game's library page - like command line modifiers, local folder opening, checking local files, etc - the stuff which you have to right click to get to these days.

So again pretty much all crap but the stuff which you actually use all the time on a game's library page - like command line modifiers, local folder opening, checking local files, etc - the stuff which you have to right click to get to these days.

You use that stuff all the time? As a Big Picture Mode user I rather enjoy its layout. I wouldn't mind the regular Steam UI getting a bit more BPM-like. Stuff like verifying cache integrity and using command line parameters shouldn't be front and center, these are power user options that would confuse more casual users.

dr_rus

You use that stuff all the time? As a Big Picture Mode user I rather enjoy its layout. I wouldn't mind the regular Steam UI getting a bit more BPM-like. Stuff like verifying cache integrity and using command line parameters shouldn't be front and center, these are power user options that would confuse more casual users.

Yes. Just yesterday I had to verify cache for COD4MWR twice and then delete it and redownload - all of this require me to go into right click menu which is completely un-user-friendly. And what I don't use at all are the things listed on the lower photo.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It's not a comprehensive list of changes. The library was a focal point because it's the most relevant section for developers and even then there's only so much you can fit into a PowerPoint slide.

Mivey

the stuff which you have to right click to get to these days.
Most Steam users don't need those power user functions all the time and so they are rightly behind right-click. I also don't believe that Valve would change that, in over a decade of history they have never removed features from the client. I don't see them changing for something they themselves just call a "refresh". It would at least be nice if it makes the regular Desktop client look more coherent with Big Picture. Not the tenfoot UI thing, but the overall look and feel.
I would also really like the ability to customize the look of Big Picture. Themes would be a nice addition.

Durante

While I'm generally on the side of maximum functionality, you are overstating the case here. Massively.

Of my 500+ game Steam library, over the decade or so I've used Steam, I can count the number of games I ever used command line options with on one hand.
Putting it right on the library page would in fact be a waste of space.

dr_rus

Most Steam users don't need those power user functions all the time and so they are rightly behind right-click. I also don't believe that Valve would change that, in over a decade of history they have never removed features from the client. I don't see them changing for something they themselves just call a "refresh". It would at least be nice if it makes the regular Desktop client look more coherent with Big Picture. Not the tenfoot UI thing, but the overall look and feel.
I would also really like the ability to customize the look of Big Picture. Themes would be a nice addition.

I beg to differ. I firmly believe that most Steam users actually have to use these functions pretty often for troubleshooting and general setup.

And I just thought of two more which I switch quite often: Steam Overlay toggle and Steam Cloud checkbox.

I would probably like to have the ability to move a game between libraries front and center as well - you have to consider that the crap which is front and center right now is absolutely useless so even some function which isn't being used often have way more reasons to be on a game's library page in place of some most recent achievement area. I mean, how often do you check your most recent achievement on a game's library page instead of doing this in Steam's overlay?

Sini

Most Steam users don't need those power user functions all the time and so they are rightly behind right-click. I also don't believe that Valve would change that, in over a decade of history they have never removed features from the client.
Maybe not from client, but they've removed features from community profiles before.

I beg to differ. I firmly believe that most Steam users actually have to use these functions pretty often for troubleshooting and general setup.

And I just thought of two more which I switch quite often: Steam Overlay toggle and Steam Cloud checkbox.
I really doubt vast majority of Steam users have ever needed to use those features.

Durante

I mean, how often do you check your most recent achievement on a game's library page instead of doing this in Steam's overlay?
If I had to estimate it, roughly 100 times as often as I use the command line option feature.
(And around 40 times as often as I use the overlay toggle)

dr_rus

If I had to estimate it, roughly 100 times as often as I use the command line option feature.
(And around 40 times as often as I use the overlay toggle)

Is it simply because it's right there in the center or because you actually want to check it? Because I can't think of any reason I would want to see my most recent achievement on a game's library page at all.

Durante

A mod should really fix the title, 1.5M buys per month would actually be concerning, 1.5M new buyers per month on the other hand is pretty amazing.

Is it simply because it's right there in the center or because you actually want to check it? Because I can't think of any reason I would want to see my most recent achievement on a game's library page at all.
Often after e.g. a coop session we would check which achievements we unlocked in that session. I basically never use the overlay for that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The main thing I would want from a client/BPM revamp is dealing with all the fucking shitty-ass launchers that don't play well with BPM. Nothing sucks more than being in BPM, launching a game with the Steam controller, getting some weird 640x480 launcher in the middle of the screen laid over the top of the BPM background (which is now lagging, I guess because since it doesn't have focus anymore it's not being hardware accelerated) then having to use the right pad as a mouse to get onto the launcher to click launch, and then as you drag the mouse the big-ass BPM cursor appears on the background until you switch to the launcher.

I do know that this is mostly a dev issue, since if you use the Steam modal launcher popup it's BPM friendly, but it'd be nice to see Valve backdoor a solution -- for example by manually setting up BPM profiles for any game in the top 5,000 or so most active games that uses a launcher.

OKK

Do we have any up-to-date information how Steams 67M MAU compares to Origin and Uplay? I haven't heard/read any official comments on Origins and Uplays growth for years now.

A mod should really fix the title, 1.5M buys per month would actually be concerning, 1.5M new buyers per month on the other hand is pretty amazing.

seems like it's done
thanks

Do we have any up-to-date information how Steams 67M MAU compares to Origin and Uplay? I haven't heard/read any official comments on Origins and Uplays growth for years now.
don't think EA or Ubisoft ever made numbers public for their own storefronts
Blizzard (battle.net) has 43 million MAU, tho
keep in mind that Heartstone is also on mobile

dr_rus

Often after e.g. a coop session we would check which achievements we unlocked in that session. I basically never use the overlay for that.

But you can't do it on a game's library page, it only show you one last opened achievement. You still need to go deeper to check all of them. This achievement area there is absolutely useless, as is the DLC list in which you generally can't see the DLC names because the width isn't enough, or the recent news area which tend to list whatever but not the actually relevant news.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Origin's DAUs could probably be derived by taking the sum of the DAUs for Battlefront, Battlefield 1, Battlefield 4, and Titanfall 2, the Sims 4, and then multiplying by, say, 2 to incorporate all of the other games. I mean, this is napkin math, but it's going to be order of magnitude accurate.

We can't quite get the DAU, but: The 24 hour peak users for BF1 is 25,000. Battlefront is 3,000 peak users. The 31 day peak users for BF4 is 15,000. Titanfall 2 has had 50,000 unique users on PC in the last week. I can't imagine a way that you could add up these numbers and get a DAU above 1,000,000.

The main thing I would want from a client/BPM revamp is dealing with all the fucking shitty-ass launchers that don't play well with BPM. Nothing sucks more than being in BPM, launching a game with the Steam controller, getting some weird 640x480 launcher in the middle of the screen laid over the top of the BPM background (which is now lagging, I guess because since it doesn't have focus anymore it's not being hardware accelerated) then having to use the right pad as a mouse to get onto the launcher to click launch, and then as you drag the mouse the big-ass BPM cursor appears on the background until you switch to the launcher.

I do know that this is mostly a dev issue, since if you use the Steam modal launcher popup it's BPM friendly, but it'd be nice to see Valve backdoor a solution -- for example by manually setting up BPM profiles for any game in the top 5,000 or so most active games that uses a launcher.

What I'm asking is BPM skins.

Origin's DAUs could probably be derived by taking the sum of the DAUs for Battlefront, Battlefield 1, Battlefield 4, and Titanfall 2, the Sims 4, and then multiplying by, say, 2 to incorporate all of the other games. I mean, this is napkin math, but it's going to be order of magnitude accurate.

We can't quite get the DAU, but: The 24 hour peak users for BF1 is 25,000. Battlefront is 3,000 peak users. The 31 day peak users for BF4 is 15,000. Titanfall 2 has had 50,000 unique users on PC in the last week. I can't imagine a way that you could add up these numbers and get a DAU above 1,000,000.

but that is missing FIFA their biggest game
still Origin is obviously way smaller than Steam

Not only that, I'd like them to fix the issue of games not showing the Steam or BPM overlay in-game. I was playing Company of Heroes and I wanted to create a Steam controller configuration with mouse regions and touch menus but I couldn't because the BPM overlay wouldn't appear when I clicked the Steam button. So I had to use the left touchpad as a directional pad on which I mapped squad assignment and selection (left grip + numbers 1 through 4 assigns squads, clicking each of the four directions selects the assigned squad).

Mrbob

I'm glad you posted this because this is a pet peeve of mine too for BPM. Everything in BPM needs to be handled with a controller. I keep a wireless mouse handy because too many times I have some launcher pop up which requires a mouse and it's annoying.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

You're definitely not the only one.

Steel

Banned

I'm OK with the normal overlay, but the big picture overlay is awful and absolutely needs to be changed.

phant0m

Meh, bad news. I hope some more consumer-friendly platforms will grow competitive but I rather doubt it.

Battle.net/blizzard launcher will get bigger thanks to the Destiny exclusivity, which I'm happy about. It's probably my favorite in terms of UI and being so deeply integrated games (e.g. you can message someone from your desktop and they get the chat in-game)

Lister

Banned
When I start my computer, and it auto logs me into Steam, am I considered MAU even though I do nothing with it?

AHAHAHAHAHA! Crazy prankster uncle. You can't have a Steam numbers thread without at least one popping up.

Is a monthly active player the same as a monthly active user?

User seems to imply that you get included just by using the service whereas player seems to indicate someone actually playing a game.

I'm thinking the same. this is likely people playing games, not just logging in.

For me the real news is that there are still more PSN active users than Steam users.

This is incorrect. The rest of your post is also hilarious.

So they aren't using these dubious active user figures anymore?

These aren't "dubious" They are actual active users - they just aren't necessarily all active players in any given month. And the number is much larger today, over 200 million, IIRC.

Steamspy needs to use this other, larger number, in order to accurately calculate Steam sales. It cannot arrive at it's numbers using this 67 million number.

Top Bottom