• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

It's 2,000 lines of Python. The database backend is SQLite, although it's really at the point that I should be migrating it to something a little beefier. It does run on Linux. The code is in pretty rough shape (although I just rewrote the moderation side a few weeks ago and that side is awesome right now).

Here's a screenshot from the code, the beginning of the portion that does post edits. I think I wrote this particular version of this code maybe 18 months ago? Click for full size:

Here you can see several bad coding habits:
- Editor set to 8-space tabs, when it should be at most 4-space tabs
- Tons of unspecified try-except rather than actually trying to capture specific errors
- camelCase variable names, which is against Python PEP8 spec (but I prefer them)
- Very lazy character encoding handling

This is definitely some next level shit, compared to what I am doing.
I do appreciate the slight look into modbot though. Definitely reminds me I have quite a ways to go.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 23 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

tSosaRZ.png

Mystery Game -- MB-19F28C53255BA327 - Taken by KainXVIII
Mystery Game #10 -- MB-39700B966A57B8D5 - Taken by Manatox
Mystery Game #11 -- MB-866C4C8CC42EFD13 - Taken by pantsattack
Mystery Game #12 -- MB-EF71FB9D444FAA5B - Taken by Valxal
Mystery Game #13 -- MB-0E04B40322846197 - Taken by dave is ok

Mystery Game #14 -- MB-D11AA2C259285DD8 - Taken by pislit
Mystery Game #15 -- MB-FB03F082EC6FED0B - Taken by alr1ght
Mystery Game #16 -- MB-6840EB61C5851284 - Taken by ctw0e
Mystery Game #17 -- MB-837B52D6A8D18C47 - Taken by Ventilaator
Mystery Game #18 -- MB-DFF952935CA4E6E7 - Taken by Henry Swanson
Mystery Game #19 -- MB-611D4CE6911D1D92 - Taken by redlacs
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-1125EEB4BC81A511 - Taken by sadblob
Mystery Game #20 -- MB-70104C3969AF4130 - Taken by bobnowhere
Mystery Game #21 -- MB-285261FF2E734B4C - Taken by Belgarion
Mystery Game #22 -- MB-0427772DA5DDE03B - Taken by Jawmuncher
Mystery Game #23 -- MB-358064809275300A - Taken by claytonlee101
Mystery Game #3 -- MB-14502B9E3DF6B31D - Taken by texhnolyze
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-FE39171BB0111C7E - Taken by almostheathen
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-3ACA5BF17A6827BA - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat
Mystery Game #6 -- MB-63A56AF7B8C8F0B4 - Taken by Servizio
Mystery Game #7 -- MB-D7F7D053808A5DA2 - Taken by Village
Mystery Game #8 -- MB-9B545126736F80F8 - Taken by kionedrik
Mystery Game #9 -- MB-15C5EC776FC5C375 - Taken by Loptous

Anno

I forgot how long it can take to get through Cyseal now that I'm playing through the EE of Divinity:OS. It's great, no doubt, and unlike a lot of people I actually think the writing is really strong in Larian's fashion. It's just a lot lol. Good thing is I've acquired a good number of paintings for which I must find buyers.

Teggy

It's fun to roll the dice. But sometimes it comes up snake eyes.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
MURDERED: SOUL SUSPECT -- MB-B46C0735FCAE1183 - Taken by rostocker. 3 entrants total.
DUNGEON SIEGE III -- MB-34CC56A01A15BDC8 - Taken by AcademicSaucer. 7 entrants total.
HITMAN: ABSOLUTION -- MB-549F65E1CCDAE8C5 - Taken by Anteater. 5 entrants total.
LARA CROFT AND THE GUARDIAN OF LIGHT -- MB-23B701BE6B01990C - Taken by Tall4Life. 1 entrants total.
THE LAST REMNANT -- MB-538B0087980BBBBF - Taken by DeliciousDoc. 1 entrants total.

t1490942335z1.png

Hey, speaking of ModBot giveaways, I wanted to let you guys know that some time in the last few weeks ModBot passed 75,000 items giveaway away. Whether it's credit for online stores, beta codes, bundle turds, birthday gifts, high value launch giveaways, or that time someone gave away a brand new sealed in box cell phone, I am consistently humbled and proud at the community's charity and enthusiasm. The total value of goods given away is north of $10,000 even if they were all bundle turds, but actually I suspect it's probably something closer to $100,000 in total value. This is insane.

I've programmed professionally for a very long time, and I've run a lot of money-losing code endeavours because I get personal satisfaction from making things people use, but this is probably the project I've worked on that has been used more than anything else I've ever made and I am just truly grateful that years after the idea was born, ModBot is more popular than ever by some regards. Thank you, again.

9Xv9NeN.jpg

No, ModBot, thank you.

gurm3n

Neo Member
It's 2,000 lines of Python. The database backend is SQLite, although it's really at the point that I should be migrating it to something a little beefier. It does run on Linux. The code is in pretty rough shape (although I just rewrote the moderation side a few weeks ago and that side is awesome right now).

Here's a screenshot from the code, the beginning of the portion that does post edits. I think I wrote this particular version of this code maybe 18 months ago? Click for full size:

Here you can see several bad coding habits:
- Editor set to 8-space tabs, when it should be at most 4-space tabs
- Tons of unspecified try-except rather than actually trying to capture specific errors
- camelCase variable names, which is against Python PEP8 spec (but I prefer them)
- Very lazy character encoding handling

Do you regularly use nano in Linux? I thought most people use emacs or vim. I prefer ed
Not really, I don't hate myself yet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have discovered dunkey on youtube.

I am now a happier person.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Do you regularly use nano in Linux? I thought most people use emacs or vim. I prefer ed
Not really, I don't hate myself yet.

Yes I regularly use Nano in Linux. This modern editor, Micro is a pretty promising one that I'm keeping tabs on. ed people are weirdos!

This is definitely some next level shit, compared to what I am doing.
I do appreciate the slight look into modbot though. Definitely reminds me I have quite a ways to go.

I started programming literally 20 years ago, started getting paid for it 15 or so years ago, have a degree in Computer Science, have instructed programming at the high school and college level, and I still don't consider myself very good. It never ends, there's always more to learn.

gurm3n

Neo Member
I have discovered dunkey on youtube.

I am now a happier person.

Oh man, dunkey is hilarious! The first video I saw from him was how to pick up chicks in League and I still believe to this day that it's amazing.

His spelunky vid is the greatest representation of a video game of all time.

Gotta look for that video.

Yes I regularly use Nano in Linux. This modern editor, Micro is a pretty promising. ed people are weirdos!

That Micro editor sure looks interesting. I'll keep it in mind since it looks similar to vim, specially the splitting capabilities.

Ascheroth

The little problem is I'm pretty limited with gaming, my playtime on steam is usually idlemaster or my daughter playing! ^__^

Playing again the same single player game slightly changing my route is not that appealing to me (usually I play jrpgs for about 100 hours, even if it costs me months, or years :D ie loved Xenogears and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne back in the days).

Anyway, I'll try to get other endings :)
No no no, this is where you're mistaken. You're not replaying the exact same thing that slightly diverges towards the end.
Niers Main endings are literally like arcs or chapters. You've basically finished episode of a telltale game at this point.
A-E is 1 playthrough. You have not finished the game before that.

Has anyone here ever used X-Plane in order to practice getting a pilot's license? Thinking of getting one this summer.
Drew Scanlon was talking about going through his pilot's license training and using X-Plane on the Bombcast. You can ask in the Giantbomb thread for the specific ones I reckon.

Amzin

or make everyVariableOverStateWhatItDoes_and_be_unevenly_cased

i got a coworker that's like a coin flip which of those two you're gonna get and like i end up nuking his code from orbit once a week lol

I ended up doing something sort of like that for an SQL script I have been working on for a while, where some of the variables are_like_this and otherAreLikeThis. It actually was based on the source of the data so it made sense when I did it to help differentiate between similar names because there's only so many ways I can say "run duration", but going back through it now it annoys me >.>

Otherwise, camel for life, yo.

Shengar

So Toukiden 2 always got my CPU temperature to the sky high 100 degrees celcius. I reapply and changed my thermal paste into a better one and now it is at stable 60 degrees. The moral of the story: use good thermal paste and reapply them constantly kids.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I started programming literally 20 years ago, started getting paid for it 15 or so years ago, have a degree in Computer Science, have instructed programming at the high school and college level, and I still don't consider myself very good. It never ends, there's always more to learn.

As someone with a similar history of programming, I can assure you Stump knows what he's talking about here. I've been programming for 27 years now, and had a stint of about 12 years where I did it professionally. I still feel like there's always more to learn. But it's also a lot of fun and a great way to better understand computers and "how they think", which I would recommend anyone to take at least an introductory course in if you have the slightest interest.

shockdude

One day I decided to learn emacs on a whim, and now I've forgotten how to use vim lol.

I've only seen a couple of dunkey's videos here and there, but they've all been great.
I've been bingeing Youtube too much lately, and I really shouldn't start watching more videos from another channel.

Instead I'll be going through that Hatoful Boyfriend holiday sequel/spinoff which I just purchased, whoo.

zkylon

zkylewd
i wish nier would give you any sorts of clues about what sidequests you're missing

going back to chapters where you've got like 3/4 or something and seeing zero markers on the map is kind of irritating, specially when the numbers sometimes deceive you and you load that chapter and those missions are already gone

i'm trying real hard not to google "i finished ending e, now what?" but i might end up doing that...

I ended up doing something sort of like that for an SQL script I have been working on for a while, where some of the variables are_like_this and otherAreLikeThis. It actually was based on the source of the data so it made sense when I did it to help differentiate between similar names because there's only so many ways I can say "run duration", but going back through it now it annoys me >.>

Otherwise, camel for life, yo.
i find myself being dumb sometimes and doing temp_pos or something but i tend to refactor that back cos i hate underscore

AHA-Lambda

Why are people so panicky about Destiny 2 not coming to Steam?
We have no basis to be nervous yet

And it's called the BLIZZARD app after all so it ain't going there :/

and I seriously thought Destiny was rubbish, idk how people like that game :/

Why would you skip a game?

You can idle any game you want no matter if it's VAC protected or not, it literally makes no difference at all. The only thing that could potentially have issues is running Idlemaster at the same time you are actively playing a game online on a VAC-secured server, and even then there is no evidence that it would result in a ban.

Oh I see, thanks :)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Teggy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
MURDERED: SOUL SUSPECT -- MB-B46C0735FCAE1183 - Taken by rostocker. 3 entrants total.
DUNGEON SIEGE III -- MB-34CC56A01A15BDC8 - Taken by AcademicSaucer. 7 entrants total.
HITMAN: ABSOLUTION -- MB-549F65E1CCDAE8C5 - Taken by Anteater. 5 entrants total.
LARA CROFT AND THE GUARDIAN OF LIGHT -- MB-23B701BE6B01990C - Taken by Tall4Life. 1 entrants total.
THE LAST REMNANT -- MB-538B0087980BBBBF - Taken by DeliciousDoc. 1 entrants total.

t1490942335z1.png

Tellaerin

Never played the original, but I'm interested in Destiny 2 because a sci-fi loot-'em-up where you're fighting a great darkness seems like the closest we'll ever get to an official PSO2 release in English. :s

Got Just Cause 3 from the Square Enix EU bundle, because that game for 12€ + some other stuff seemed like a solid deal.

But so far all I'm getting from Just Cause 3 is a much stronger appreciation for Just Cause 2.

dex3108

TotalBiscuit indeed went to Valve.

Meeting at Valve today culmination of couple of months of talking. Lotta discussions re: curation, scam games, discovery and more. None NDAed. Will do a video on everything.

MUnited83

For you.
Got Just Cause 3 from the Square Enix EU bundle, because that game for 12€ + some other stuff seemed like a solid deal.

But so far all I'm getting from Just Cause 3 is a much stronger appreciation for Just Cause 2.
I'll never get the complaints about Just Cause 3. It's a better version of Just Cause 2 in about every way.

I'll never get the complaints about Just Cause 3. It's a better version of Just Cause 2 in about every way.

The gameplay itself is fine, but the implementation of online-stuff kinda irked me personally.

First it logs in into the S-E servers (and one time somehow deleted my save), then for every challenge, it first needs to load the leaderboard instead of directly getting into that challenge.

Wok

It seems there is an erotic FMV game on Steam. A classic from the 90s.

I don't think this is a banned game, right?

Kudo

Why are people so panicky about Destiny 2 not coming to Steam?
We have no basis to be nervous yet

And it's called the BLIZZARD app after all so it ain't going there :/

Did you play the end-game content and do you like Diablo/Borderlands? Destiny has best features from MMO and loot hoarder genre then tops it with best console gunplay to date and I had tons of fun running through the strikes and more so the raids, those are some of the best fps experiences I've had. It's a shame the execution was nowhere near The Taken King levels in Year 1 content, and Rise of Iron was kind of disappointment too after it, raid was nice though.
If Destiny 2 can provide lots of content with The Taken King level of story telling and level design, I think it's going to be something very special.
I hope the PC port is going to be good and they can nail the gunplay on PC too, just felt so good on consoles I'm worried more "raw" control method like mouse will be harder to make the guns feel different, if that makes any sense.

AHA-Lambda

Did you play the end-game content and do you like Diablo/Borderlands? Destiny has best features from MMO and loot hoarder genre then tops it with best console gunplay to date and I had tons of fun running through the strikes and more so the raids, those are some of the best fps experiences I've had. It's a shame the execution was nowhere near The Taken King levels in Year 1 content, and Rise of Iron was kind of disappointment too after it, raid was nice though.
If Destiny 2 can provide lots of content with The Taken King level of story telling and level design, I think it's going to be something very special.
I hope the PC port is going to be good and they can nail the gunplay on PC too, just felt so good on consoles I'm worried more "raw" control method like mouse will be harder to make the guns feel different, if that makes any sense.

No and nope.
And yes I know that invites criticism of "well what did you expect" :p
But there was definitely still a large semblance of mystery in expectations with Destiny all the way up to launch, and I didn't expect a more typical loot fps after all of Bungie's grandiose statements.

I spent about 15 hours with vanilla version at launch and I gave up, never to look at it again. I'm sure I have different expectations than fans but dear lord that campaign is atrocious.

In all seriousness, what would you say makes Destiny a MMO?
I've never understood why people call it as such, when far as I've ever seen it there's not a lot of large scale features to it to compare it against other MMOs rather than just calling it an online game.

I'm a good ways through the second route in Automata and clearing up the sidequests that I didn't get around to the first time around, and I gotta say the conclusion to a lot of these is so eye rolling when
it's so often a case of the machine quest giver committing suicide at the end and 9S having the same reaction of "Wha?!???? It just decided to die?!???? Machines with feelings!!???!????" it all just comes off very trite at the moment.

Ho-ly... fucccccck. If it was just a little cheaper, I'd buy it for John Hurt alone! :(
You don't have to hide your true feelings, this is the anime thread afterall, you just really want to see what happens the second after this screenshot in the store page

Kudo

No and nope.
And yes I know that invites criticism of "well what did you expect" :p
But there was definitely still a large semblance of mystery in expectations with Destiny all the way up to launch, and I didn't expect a more typical loot fps after all of Bungie's grandiose statements.

I spent about 15 hours with vanilla version at launch and I gave up, never to look at it again. I'm sure I have different expectations than fans but dear lord that campaign is atrocious.

In all seriousness, what would you say makes Destiny a MMO?
I've never understood why people call it as such, when far as I've ever seen it there's not a lot of large scale features to it to compare it against other MMOs rather than just calling it an online game.

You made the right choice then, the campaign was really bad and you're right that everyone expected lot more and very different game before the release.
Rather than MMO I guess I should have said "MMO-lite", open planets where you can see other players and hub areas, then instanced dungeons and raids. Scale is not large when compared to real MMos thats true, think the limit something like 25 fellow players on same area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom