• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamworld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt |OT| Can you dig it?

From indie developer Image & Form comes a new title exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS. An action platformer, you play as an intrepid miner robot in a Western inspired, Steam-punk styled world. Comparisons can be made to games such as Spelunky or Metroid, as you mine with your pickaxe through an expansive 2D maze of caves and tunnels, upgrading your robot weapons and skills as you go along.

Official Site
Facebook Page
Twitter

AN EPIC JOURNEY INTO THE UNKNOWN!
SteamWorld Dig is a hardcore platform mining adventure game for Nintendo 3DS.

Take the role as Rusty, a lone mining steambot, as he arrives to an old mining town in great need. Dig your way through the old earth, gaining riches while uncovering the ancient threat that lurks below...
Screens

steamworld-dig-3ds-1.jpg

248718-st1.jpg

images

Videos

Release Trailer
9-Bit Audio Interview with the game's creator Brjann Sigurgeirsson
Beta Gameplay Footage
Footage from 7th August Nintendo Direct

Release Date
Europe - August 7th (€8.99/£7.99)
North America - August 8th ($8.99)
Japan - TBC

Developer: Image & Form
Worked previously on Steamworld Tower Defence (8.0 from IGN)

Reviews

Nintendo World Report - 9/10

SteamWorld Dig is a fresh game for the Nintendo eShop and one of the best digital games available on Nintendo's 3D handheld. While the digging takes a little while to get going, it is just a small hump towards an adventure in a world that gives you the total freedom to explore.

Cubed3 - 9/10

Really getting hands on with the game is necessary to understand what makes it so addictive. It came as a complete surprise to all; totally unexpected. It is no wonder that Nintendo chose to advertise it in the August 2013 Nintendo Direct presentation, with the company clearly realising it had a little gem on its hands.

PocketGamer - 10/10
[/QUOTE]
SteamWorld Dig is an utterly phenomenal video game, with layer upon layer of remarkable gameplay to be found. This isn't simply the best Nintendo 3DS game you've played - it's one of the best games you'll play this year.

Hardcore Gamer - 8/10
It blends action-platforming with exploration very well, and manages to feel different enough from every other MV-style game while still feeling somewhat familiar. For under ten dollars, there’s a lot of fun to be had with SteamWorld Dig. - See more at: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2013/0...g-a-fistful-of-dirt-3ds/#sthash.fF73ECqt.dpuf

Metacritic - 89%

Game Features

- Carve a path through the earth, and explore a deep underground world full of secrets, treasure and terrors.

- Uncover the remnants of Human civilization, a degenerate race of drunken, dynamite-wielding troglodytes.

- Meet the weird and interesting townsfolk of Tumbleton and help the community get back on its feet.

- Beautiful, high-res graphics with dynamic lights and multiple parallaxed background layers.

- Randomized worlds with emergent gameplay - a fancy way of saying that the game is both fun and replayable!

Glass Rebel

I've played 3h without putting it down and it's really good.

Think of it as the flashgame Motherload with platforming mechanics and hidden caves. That's really the best description I can give.

Jenoss

Banned
6 hours on it and it look nice.
The more i dig and I find minerals and the more I want to dig, to continue this endless circle.
It reminds me Minecraft, but with some different kind of atmosphere, less living and open but more dangerous and full of goals.

well spent money indeed!

This has been on my radar for a bit and I think I may just have to bite the bullet and pick it up. The game looks great from the pics and trailer. I'll be interested to hear what other folks here at GAF think as well

Played a couple hours and it's fantastic, totally delivers on its promises. Also I can't believe it's the first time I play a parallax game on 3DS, it's one of the things that really excited me about 3D and it works beautifully in this.

Jenoss

Banned
I'm not sure of this information, but when I downloaded it I think I read 135 blocks of size .. seems like magic?!

troushers

Excellent, I've nearly finished Crimson Shroud, and wondered what I could try next. This seems like my sort of thing. Will buy in 2 hours.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Game is a lot of fun so far. It has quite a bit of exploration which I love, and the mechanics are enjoyable. Very fluid controls too.

Gah, all right already GAF all the positive buzz has tipped me over the edge. I will definitely pick this game up tonight. I was on the fence, but between stuff here and on Twitter I've decided to take the plunge.

jackal27

Banned
Looked up and I've been playing for over 3 hours. This game is SO good you guys!

It really reminds me of those amazing 2D games we used to get on the DS all the time like Henry Hatsworth and Monster Tale.

Just buy this game already!

jackal27

Banned
Man, what a great eShop title. I've still been playing it all morning. i like the music and visuals a lot. Wish there were more tracks sinfar though.

I can't wait to review this on this weekend's episode of Pocketoid.

Man, what a great eShop title. I've still been playing it all morning. i like the music and visuals a lot. Wish there were more tracks sinfar though.

I can't wait to review this on this weekend's episode of Pocketoid.

Holy shit why didn't I know about this? I always wish they'd talk more about handheld games in podcasts. Great. I'll work my way through it, and look forward to your Steamworld review. The music outside the opening theme isn't amazing, but the rest of the game more than makes up for it.

Added a few reviews (Nintendo World Report and Digitally Downloaded)

jackal27

Banned
Holy shit why didn't I know about this? I always wish they'd talk more about handheld games in podcasts. Great. I'll work my way through it, and look forward to your Steamworld review.

Heh. We're not always the most professional of podcasts, but we've the heart, haha. We just love handheld games.

imageform

Oh the love! You guys... @MasterBalls and @SteeloDMZ, fantastic work on this OT! If anyone can think up ways for us to spread the word on #SteamWorldDig, we'd be supergrateful. We can make games, but we're not as good at shouting... :-D THANKS! KEEP IT UP! WE LOVE YOU!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Oh the love! You guys... @MasterBalls and @SteeloDMZ, fantastic work on this OT! If anyone can think up ways for us to spread the word on #SteamWorldDig, we'd be supergrateful. We can make games, but we're not as good at shouting... :-D THANKS! KEEP IT UP! WE LOVE YOU!
Mad props for the good game. Cheers!

Email someone at NOA, stat. Your game should be front and center, first thing you see when booting up the eShop. Instead it's burried in the new releases section...and that stupid Tangram game is the featured logo on the new releases tab.

Other than that, you'll probably get a sizeable push from all of the 9/10 reviews. Talk to Beril, the Gunman Clive dev and ask for suggestions.

I felt like the game deserved an OT, it's definitely one of the meatier eShop titles, and very good from what I've played. I've just got the
drill
, so much fun.

Glass Rebel

Email someone at NOA, stat. Your game should be front and center, first thing you see when booting up the eShop. Instead it's burried in the new releases section...and that stupid Tangram game is the featured logo on the new releases tab.

Other than that, you'll probably get a sizeable push from all of the 9/10 reviews. Talk to Beril, the Gunman Clive dev and ask for suggestions.

It's featured in the European store and was even highlighted in the Nintendo Direct.

Thank you, based Shibata.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'll pick it up in a couple days, I wish Nintendo would merge the eShop funds already.

Yeah same, I have $6 just sitting on the Wii U eShop, but I want nothing right now there.

Exile20

I am about to dl it. it looks really good. i never heard of it before. I would contact nintendo to see how you can get more exposure.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The game went from great to awesome when I got the
punching move

As I mentioned, this is super polished. Great visuals, moody music, and the controls are super tight thanks to fluid animations and flawless framerate.

Another thing that I'm liking is how there's some sort of story. The NPCs tell you that your uncle was up to something in those caves you are exploring, and you want to keep digging to find the mystery.

Top Bottom