• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamworld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt |OT| Can you dig it?

Just purchased the game and have only been playing for about 5 minutes but I'm already in love with the charm and the characters. The cool faux language the robots speak to one another is a neat little touch and the music so far sets a great mood. Very western vibe, I like it a lot.

I'll come back and update my thoughts a bit later once I've had more time with the game, but so far I'm intrigued.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
This is why the "Required amount only" button is a godsend. Does the Wii U not have that?

I believe it does, but I got a points card as a gift a while back, the remainder has been there for some time now.

Goli

I mentioned wondering whether to buy it or not on twitter and Image & Form tweeted to me, I thought that was a cute little touch of them to do that, so I bought the game and I'm really impressed so far. It's kinda like Mr Driller mixed with Metroid and a little Megaman, which is really great!
I love how smoothly the sprites animate too and how despite it being in the desert with a lot of junk and stuff that basically means "brown everywhere" they've managed to make it very varied, color palette wise.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I used my $30 eShop credit. I wasn't sure if I wanted to put it on the Wii U or 3DS, but I really wanted this. I just started, I like it so far, except for the 3D effect.

I figure I might as well put the $30 credit on the 3DS for Shovel Knight and hopefully LTTP.

duckroll

Picked it up earlier. Played about an hour. Seems pretty fun. Really nice graphics, cool powerups, seems pretty meaty.

DaBoss

Going to get this soon (OT: I'm done System Shock 2 now and boy, that was an amazing game). Nice to see great scores from the reviews.

steveovig

How is the difficulty on this thing? I hear comparisons to Spelunker and it kinda throws me away from wanting this.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
How is the difficulty on this thing? I hear comparisons to Spelunker and it kinda throws me away from wanting this.

I've died a couple times, but is not frustrating. If you die inside one of the rooms you just entered, you'll spawn there. If you die in the "outside area" (which is where you'll be exploring most of the time), you'll spawn in a mini hub world that's at the very top. There are shortcuts and one item that can help you teleport too, so there are many options to progress. Also, if you die while you were holding treasures you found, you can go back to the place you died and get back everything.

steveovig

I've died a couple times, but is not frustrating. If you die inside one of the rooms you just entered, you'll spawn there. If you die it the "outside area" (which is where you'll be exploring most of the time", you'll spawn in a mini hub world that's at the very top. There are shortcuts and one item that can help you teleport too, so there are many options. Also, if you die while you were holding treasures you found, you can go back to the place you died and get back everything.

Ok, sounds very good, thanks!

JoseJX

Played a couple hours and it's fantastic, totally delivers on its promises. Also I can't believe it's the first time I play a parallax game on 3DS, it's one of the things that really excited me about 3D and it works beautifully in this.
I just picked this game up, but this is needs to be shouted loudly. The 3D works so well for this game, and it's really an example of what other 2D games should be doing with it.

I'm having fun digging so far, it's addictive.

Has anybody else had the game crash at all?

I have had the Nintendo black screen error (hold power button to turn off)
6 times in the last hour or so

I have a 3DSXL firmware: Ver.6.2.0-12E

DaBoss

Just a little suggestion, can you add the size of the game to the OP?

I've got the NA version and it is 348 blocks (43.5MB).

Yagharek

Saw the trailer just a moment ago, music sounded wonderful and the nods to old classic games like Boulderdash is great. Going to check if its up on the Aus store now.

Yagharek

Bought, the music is indeed fantastic. Reminds me of another game specifically but I can't quite place it. Surely not Metroid Prime?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I finished the game in about four and a half hours. The ending came somewhat abruptly, and while there are still some gems left to unearth, my interest tends to wane when I know there won't be any new areas left to discover. I enjoyed my time with the game though--it reminds me of Terraria in some regards, and it has the same addictive upgrade system as many free-to-play games, only in a much more fair, and thus rewarding, package.

I'm liking it so far. About an hour in. It's like a polished and better version of Miner Dig Deeper

jackal27

Banned
I finished the game in about four and a half hours. The ending came somewhat abruptly, and while there are still some gems left to unearth, my interest tends to wane when I know there won't be any new areas left to discover. I enjoyed my time with the game though--it reminds me of Terraria in some regards, and it has the same addictive upgrade system as many free-to-play games, only in a much more fair, and thus rewarding, package.

Sad to hear that it's little shorter than I'd imagined. I'll make sure to take my time. Still, I'm already satisfied with my purchase. I totally get a Terraria feel from this.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

That short?

I was hoping for it to be a bit longer.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

Only four and a half hours? Did you dig straight to the ending?

troushers

Played a few hours last night. Definitely a cut above the average e-shop game, a lot of nice, thoughtful touches here and there. Movement and progression feel good and don't intrude on the experience. I'd recommend it so far.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Damn, have £40 sitting on the wiiU eshop that was for pikmin 3 until I bought an early code from game, but all the stuff I want to buy is on 3DS :/

Finished the game yesterday and loved it every step of the way - very addicting. I enjoyed the experience more than the other games I've gotten from the 3DS eShop.

Qurupeke

I decided to do some backtracking to collect any stones I left behind. I just love this feel of exploration... It's even greater because of the limited light.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just purchased it and is having a great time

got stuck a little at the 3 switches area currently though, and I have no idea how to find the one for the first sliding door

Yasawas

Sometimes I like to buy games just because of a thread like this where everyone seems to be having fun, I'll get this tonight I think. Almost buckled last night but I was four pence short on efunds, four pence!

hiro4

Already gave some impressions in the other topic.
Apparently I was only playing for around 2 hours at that point!

I've been playing some more and it really is an amazing game.
I really like the atmosphere the game is creating.
I'm glad I bought it.

Fell asleep playing this game in bed... not because its boring but because I couldn't stop till I just passed out. Awesome, addicting, colorful, and has that "just a bit more" hook!

Played for 3 and half hours straight last night making this game my # 1 slot on the Activity Log for time spent playing. I almost couldn't believe that the time had gone by. This game is so much fun. I think anyone with a 3DS would be doing themselves a disservice in not picking up this title.

Can't really say how close I am to the end, but I've decided to back track a bit in order to really dig into the experience.

Glass Rebel

Played close to 5h30m so far, reached
the third area with the robots etc.
and got my hands on a [/spoiler]metal detector[/spoiler]. With that equipped I went back and tried getting every ore and explore the rooms for hidden paths and there's one part that I simply can't reach because it's way too high.

I hope this means what I think it means.

eXistor

I've been playing for a bit this afternoon. It's pretty great so far, nice graphics, fantastic controls. The constant digging is a tad tedious, but you get new upgrades constantly, so it gets easier and more fun the more you play. I love the upgrade rooms, they make great use of your skills up to that point and the 2 upgrades I've found so far are skill based, so there's the potential for some great secrets to be found in the game.

VanWinkle

Is there any actual platforming? Like moving platforms or where if you miss a jump you may fall or anything. Or is it just jumping atop and down different blocks? I had assumed this was more of a platformer with the digging mechanics, but reading the impressions now it doesn't really seem to be much of a platformer.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
From the NintendoWorldReport review:

Only four and a half hours? Did you dig straight to the ending?
I went back and upgraded all but one item, explored each room, and mined most of the minerals and ended at 5:30. Barring a glaring omission on my part, I have no idea how the reviewer managed to play for thirteen, but it's good to know that the game can be played at different paces.

Is there any actual platforming? Like moving platforms or where if you miss a jump you may fall or anything. Or is it just jumping atop and down different blocks? I had assumed this was more of a platformer with the digging mechanics, but reading the impressions now it doesn't really seem to be much of a platformer.
It's closer to the latter. There are areas where the player needs to make a few jumps at risk of being damaged or experiencing a setback, but the platforming is never difficult nor particularly perilous should you fail. I'm not good at platformers, so I liked that the few platforming sections were all fairly easy.

Great game-even with the simplistic goal of "hit rocks until you reach the deepest stratum," making your own journey to get to that goal is an amazing feeling.

I just wish the game world was bigger...maybe a huge over world in the sequel?

Top Bottom