• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate 0 review thread

Burnburn

pljm80108_banner

After some weird release date shenanigans it seems like the game will actually release Nov 25th! (They can't possibly delay it anymore now right?) I've been really looking forward to it and looking at the reviews there's nothing to worry about reagarding the quality.

TheSixthAxis - 9/10

Steins;Gate 0 is phenomenal. Every part of it is bigger and better than the game that came before it. Rather than a tacked on sequel storyline that disturbs the perfect ending of the original, it explores a wealth of material hidden between that story’s many layers, and ends up creating a narrative that almost rivals that of the original. It’s a game that is, without a doubt, for a specific crowd, and while it’s inaccessible to newcomers, the entire point is to explore another side to the narrative in a manner that would be lost on new players.

Go and play the first game, because if you like that one, you’re going to love this one. And if you’ve already played the first game, well then, what the hell are you waiting for?

Destructoid - 8.5/10

Despite having a small number of grievances, none of them were significant enough to detract too severely from the overall experience. Simply put, Steins;Gate 0 is both a fantastic visual novel and more than a worthy follow-up to the first game.

HardcoreGamer - 3.5/5

Fans will be satisfied with how the tale running through Steins;Gate 0 is told with a narrative that rarely stands still in the present without coming off confusing. That said, the original’s degree of tension and regret over gameplay decisions are lost a little here and because of it, 0 — despite its successful transitioning, coming off more like a second half to a much grander tale as opposed to a totally sectioned-off story — often finds comfort in retreating to old techniques and former narrative inclusions to fill in the rare instances of figurative gaps. Even still, those who grew to empathize and connect with the main character’s struggles will find plenty of emotional tribulation here and as a result, Steins;Gate 0 can still confidently call the interesting fusion of scientific and romantic storytelling its own.

God is a Geek - 9.5/10

Steins;Gate 0 is the sequel I never knew I wanted. It is a perfect alternate take with various expositions for characters I know and love from Steins;Gate. The new characters are great and I’m glad I’m in a timeline in which not only does Steins;Gate get a proper sequel, but one in which it is localised so soon after release in Japan.

Playstation Universe - 9/10
UK-anime - 9/10
TechRaptor - 9.5/10
GBATemp - 9.1/10
TheVitaLounge - 5/5
OtakuGamers - 9/10
BrashGames - 9/10
TheFandomPost - A+
Fok (dutch) - 9/10
GameSource (Italian) - 89/100

MetaCritic - nothing yet
OpenCritic - 90 No more need for math now!

El Psy Congroo

crimilde

Banned
Awesome! I'm planning on getting it after I finish FFXV since I won't have time for both, but I'm very glad it scores so high.

Atolm

Man, as far as visual novels go I still have Root Letter and Psycho Pass Mandatory Happiness to play...

VRMN

I won't be getting this at launch due to other games taking up time, but very much planning on playing this and the first game early next year.

Day 1 day 1 day 1.

I'm in so hard. Nice to see good reviews for it. I'll have a flick through them to see if they mention the quality of the localisation.

ys45

Not really surprised at the score so far I knew this game is going to be awesome :p

Anyone know when Rice Digital will ship ? I got the vita collector edition ordered since it was announced .

Eumi

Wait what? Is this game good?

I don't understand how this series has kept its quality. The first is such a one and done situation.

Hell, I even enjoyed the movie, I honestly think it adds to the overall narrative.

Excited to play this but got a lot of things going on right now, will hopefully check it out sometime next year.

Anoxida

Man, I can't remember everything about the first game even though I loved it. Is this a continuation to the story or is it set in an alternate universe?

Day 1 day 1 day 1.

I'm in so hard. Nice to see good reviews for it. I'll have a flick through them to see if they mention the quality of the localisation.
Destructoid mentions a few things left untranslated (especially the subtitles in an apparently important cutscene being in Japanese), as well as a few text wrapping issues.

Jeffrey

do I still need a guide at hand when playing this?

The whole cellphone texting thing was so fucking stupid with the first game.

how the hell does anyone get to the true ending without a guide. Was there some logic that I completely missed?

Oh sheet, son.
Them are good reviews right there.
While I'm bummed that it's only available in Canada from some site that I've never heard of, I'm still super excited.
Time to rewatch some eps of the anime to recap everything.

I picked the slow-ass free shipping from videogameplus.ca, but I don't know if they ship on or before the release date.

Kosen

Neo Member
do I still need a guide at hand when playing this?

The whole cellphone texting thing was so fucking stupid with the first game.

how the hell does anyone get to the true ending without a guide. Was there some logic that I completely missed?

Apparently reaching the true end is much easier this time.
This guy (the translator for the first game) made a quick guide for reaching all the endings: https://twitter.com/DistantValhalla/status/797871908112961536

This game has had such a weirdly low-key lead up to release.

Vita is the obvious choice here. It's a novel, you carry those things around with you.

slash3584

Also I never completed the first game, just watched the anime.

Would it be wise to play the first one now that it's on steam?

Catvoca

Banned
So glad this is getting good reviews! I'm not going to read them because I want to go in (mostly) blind, but damn am I glad this game is good. I was a little worried since the first game ends so perfectly that I wasn't sure I wanted more, but now I'm hyped!

Burnburn

Also I never completed the first game, just watched the anime.

Would it be wise to play the first one now that it's on steam?

I would recommend it yes. While the anime focuses mostly on the relationship between Okabe and Kurisu, in the novel you really get to know the other characters too.

Tratorn

Never played a Steins;Gate game but I really would like to try one. Is it ok to start with this one or are all games connected story-wise?

Hektor

Never played a Steins;Gate game but I really would like to try one. Is it ok to start with this one or are all games connected story-wise?

This game will spoil you everything about the first one in the first 5 minutes already, and the original S;G is a masterpiece you don't wanna ruin for yourself.

aravuus

Damn good scores. Really gotta play the original soon so I can get on this. The anime is easily my favorite anime show.

Bittercup

Is the first game any good? Should I play it on console or Vita?
Fantastic game. But this is a visual novel with a heavy focus on the novel part. It has hardly any gameplay and lots of reading instead. Just to make sure you play it with the right expectations.
For me, it's one of my most favourite games. I love the story and characters.

I would recommend the Vita version. The game is very close to reading a book with the same backgrounds and character arts in front and occasionally some additional artwork. But for the most time you are just reading. With a handheld it's ike reading comfortably in bed instead of reading a book on a TV screen.

No, they are connected. You really should start with the original game.
Starting with this one will just spoil the first one for you.

Beat the original a couple of weeks ago. I think the pacing and excessive chunnibyou can not be forgiven (people in the OT said it would all make sense but I feel like I never saw some huge revelation on that front), however if you like VNs holy crap it's amazing.

Probably should give it some time before grabbing Zero. Surely this would have been better as a January release?

I doubt releasing along-side Gravity Rush 2, Dragon Quest VIII, Yakuza 0, Tales of Berseria, Resident Evil 7 and Kingdom Hearts 2.8 would have been so much better.

I... Damn...

This game is just screwed regardless. Oh well, I'm sure with its fanbase and word of mouth day one sales aren't essential.

Audioboxer

First game is great. I'd probably get it on Vita for dat OLED and because I own the first on Vita. It's cheaper on Vita as well

UK GAF base have it for £22.39 ~ http://www.base.com/buy/product/steins-gate-zero-playstation-vita/dgc-stgtzpsv.htm

They have 10% quidco cashback till the end of today as well.

Sadly I'm too skint to buy right now even at that price. I just impulse bought a PS4 Pro via Amazon WH deal the other day. Woe is me because SG is amazing. As is the anime for anyone who hasn't seen it, and yeah, English dub is good too. The movie still hasn't been dubbed though and looks to have been stuck in limbo for years.

Top Bottom