• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate 0 review thread

I figured the game would get praised, but I'm really glad it is getting this much acclaim so far. Can't wait for it to come out! I've had it ordered through Amazon for a while. This might be my GOTY like Steins;Gate was last year. I still have Trails of Cold Steel 2 to play through right now, but I'll probably binge play through Steins;Gate 0 when I get it.

Just finished the first game, i almost gave up playing at the beginning but my brother convinced me to keep going because it would get better, im glad i listened to him, once the plot advances the game is really amazing

Yeah, the beginning isn't the best at keeping everyone interesting, but once the game gets going plot wise, it becomes one of the best VNs you could play in my opinion.

Jimrpg

Serious and ignorant question but: Are these games fun to play?
I've never played a visual novel so I really don't know what to expect. Only saw the Steins:Gate anime and liked it a lot (seriously one of my favorite time travel stories).

Is it about making choices? Do your choices have big effects on the story? is there some other gameplay element (puzzles or something, like 999?)

I looked at screenshots and short clips of the original game and it looks... unexciting compared to the anime. Lots of static portraits of characters pasted on top of static backgrounds. A manga also seems more exciting as every pannel is a unique and new drawing, not just 3-4 different portraits pasted on top of the same backgrounds

Aagain, not trying to say these types of games are bad or anything. Have never played one so I couldn't say. But whats the advantage of playing the game over, say, waiting for an anime or manga adaptation?

It's a book, you read it. There are some nice illustrations and there's music. But don't think of it like a game, think of it as a story/novel that you read. It's no different to an RPG without the gameplay and just the story.

With something like Steins;Gate so much joy can be had just reading the story.

The advantage of the VN over the the anime for Steins;Gate is that it takes about 25 hours to get all the endings in Steins;Gate in the VN, versus finishing the anime in about 8 hours, so there's a lot more depth in the VN.

So excited for this, hoping for a speedy delivery from the UK so I can start as soon as I finish Pokemon.

Final Fantasy is going on the backburner until I'm done with this one :)

bobawesome

Still wary of mainstream reviews for visual novels after Zero Time Dilemma but it's reviewing better than I expected.

Yeah, I know ZTD wasn't technically a visual novel.

AniHawk

...WHAT. How did they green light the release with a very pivotal sequence left untranslated?

But based on how long and tedious it is to get to the true ending of the first game, I imagine it would be quite a while before I even get to that point.

But then again, maybe there's a faint chance that review copies aren't the same as the version that's getting shipped.

i think pqube contracts out and doesn't do any internal testing. at least, that would explain the annoying line breaks in the first game. it could be in the jast usa original though. not sure.

i think pqube contracts out and doesn't do any internal testing. at least, that would explain the annoying line breaks in the first game. it could be in the jast usa original though. not sure.

What's funny about the weird line breaks on phone messages in the PQube releases is that there's been an unofficial fan translation available for the PC version for quite some time now where the line breaks are correct.

cuilan

I'm a little sad that this one didn't get a 360 release. Now my collection is going to remain incomplete unless I start over. :\

nHSZ8UJ.jpg

KHlover

Banned
Question to those who've played more than a single VN (like me lol):

Would I like Steins;Gate if I like Fate/Stay night (I'm currently playing the Heaven's Feel route and like it so much that I put in like 4hrs/day)?

If yes, should I play the original first or start with this one since it is a prequel?

Hektor

If yes, should I play the original first or start with this one since it is a prequel?

This isn't a prequel. You should play the original first, 0 will spoil absolutely everything and you'll miss out on a lot of stuff if you don't play S;G first.

Zhao_Yun

Would I like Steins;Gate if I like Fate/Stay night (I'm currently playing the Heaven's Feel route and like it so much that I put in like 4hrs/day)?

Not sure you can compare those two, but I don't see why you shouldn't enjoy S;G if you enjoy FSN (since neither has a lot of gameplay).

Definitely start with the first game though. Despite the "0" in the title, this game is not really a prequel. Explaining it too much would be spoiler territory though, so just start with the first game :p

Necrovex

PC version came out in Japan a few months ago, but I doubt that it will hit Western shores before next year.

That's a major pity. I have my Vita, but the updates are horrific with South African internet connections.

I'll be aiming to pick it up before I fly back to the States in March. This will be a wondrous game to kill time on an airplane.

Waji

With Persona 5 almost finished I have nothing to play for a long while so I'm gladly day1ing this game on Vita !

Protocol7

Wasn't there supposed to be the PS4 version of the PS3 version of Steins;Gate with 0 if you pre-ordered it or something like that?

Possible I'm mixing things up... or not? /confused...

Vertti

Thinking what's the best way to play the original Steins;Gate. Wikipedia says it comes for the PS4 on 25th of November but that must be a mistake right? So there's PS3 and Steam versions. PS3 is much cheaper but is it worse way to play it compared to Steam version? Or are they the same?

Stuart444

I'm loving it so far. Almost 6 hours in and it's been hard to stop it. Going to continue it tomorrow.

I only watched the anime of the original so I do miss the English voices a bit though but I've gotten used to the JP VAs quick enough

It wasn't in the JAST release, but that was in a different version of the engine. The line break issue is in the Steam release too, though a fan patch has been made to fix it.

Any chance of it releasing on Steam before Xmas?
or is it PS only
No. I'd expect a PC release next year some time. The timing will be different as MAGES would be self-publishing on Steam and not using PQube as a publisher.

Thinking what's the best way to play the original Steins;Gate. Wikipedia says it comes for the PS4 on 25th of November but that must be a mistake right? So there's PS3 and Steam versions. PS3 is much cheaper but is it worse way to play it compared to Steam version? Or are they the same?
Steam version with the fan bugfix patch is the best version now. PS3 isn't quite as a high res, but is the best way to play otherwise. Content is the same everywhere and honestly the differences between the PS3 and Steam versions are minimal.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Wasn't there supposed to be the PS4 version of the PS3 version of Steins;Gate with 0 if you pre-ordered it or something like that?

Possible I'm mixing things up... or not? /confused...

That was for the JP version. No idea if the localized one got that too. You get a digital download code for it. Though the code will expire this December on the 9th.

That was for the JP version. No idea if the localized one got that too. You get a digital download code for it. Though the code will expire this December on the 9th.

The PS4 version was never localized. It's a weird thing with no trophies, so they'd have to make changes to sell it in the West anyway.

Vertti

Steam version with the fan bugfix patch is the best version now. PS3 isn't quite as a high res, but is the best way to play otherwise. Content is the same everywhere and honestly the differences between the PS3 and Steam versions are minimal.
Thank you for your answer.

I'll probably buy the PS3 version because it's really cheap. I still have 720p tv so the sub 1080p is not a problem. And that way I'll have a physical copy

Thats like asking if you prefer apples or trucks...

Well the reviews are looking good as I expected. Funnily enough I only jumped into the Steins; gate series a couple of months ago by playing the VN then watching the anime/listening to the drama CD's that have been subbed.
And I can't wait until Friday to finally play it.

I watched the anime and finished it. For the first game i got about half way where it gets really good in the story but left it because of time. I should be good story wise to pick this one up right?

I watched the anime and finished it. For the first game i got about half way where it gets really good in the story but left it because of time. I should be good story wise to pick this one up right?
You know the true ending because that is the only path that gets covered in the anime, otherwise it is worth playing the VN because of the fact that is fleshes out the characters and develops them more plus you also get a more in depth look at certain events.

And then you also have the other character endings which are pretty damn good.

You know the true ending because that is the only path that gets covered in the anime, otherwise it is worth playing the VN because of the fact that is fleshes out the characters and develops them more plus you also get a more in depth look at certain events.

And then you also have the other character endings which are pretty damn good.

Is it clear how to get the other endings or should i use a guide online

Is it clear how to get the other endings or should i use a guide online

Written underneath how to get them
Chapter 6: Don't send the Dmail for Amane Suzuha's ending
Chapter 7: Don't send the Dmail for Faris's ending
Chapter 8: Don't send the Dmail for Rukako's ending
From this point on it relies on true ending flags
No flags = Mayuri's ending
1-5 flags= Kurisu's ending
All 6 flags= the true ending

Speaking of which have you watched the alternate episode 23B which directly leads into Steins; Gate 0?

Written underneath how to get them
Chapter 6: Don't send the Dmail for Amane Suzuha's ending
Chapter 7: Don't send the Dmail for Faris's ending
Chapter 8: Don't send the Dmail for Rukako's ending
From this point on it relies on true ending flags
No flags = Mayuri's ending
1-5 flags= Kurisu's ending
All 6 flags= the true ending

Speaking of which have you watched the alternate episode 23B which directly leads into Steins; Gate 0?

Yes ive watched anything anime related to the series. Thanks for info ima go back to it and go through those endings before i start the new one

Top Bottom