• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Irwin dead at age 44. Killed by a.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP Steve Irwin

You almost had to expect he'd die in some manner other than what you'd usually expect. He was so good at the usual stuff, I guess this freak sort of thing was really gonna happen.

Miguel said:
SHOT THROUGH THE HEART

Bon%20Jovi7%20gross.jpg

...by a sting ray!
In bad taste!

but I still laughed :(

There is some humor to this, but to be honest, I am sad over this. I'm surprised too, it isn't like i knew him. Not that it wouldn't be sad otherwise, but I am genuinely sad...

YakiSOBA

That sucks! :(

Just incase anyone is too lazy to look it up (i nearly was):

Stingrays do not actually attack. Injuries from these sharklike creatures are usually defensive actions. Once disturbed, their venomous stinger (spine) near the base of their tails lashes out and can cause punctures or lacerations (cuts).

Thorntail-stingray-003.jpg

Thorntail-stingray-007.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
I've swum with some massive SR's before being careful not to go near their tails. I'd put up pics but I dont want to subject anyone to seeing my bare chest.

Viddie

I don't see how anybody could find this funny,

Apparantly his wife is trekking in Tasmania and doesn't know yet..

damn, two tragedies in a row...

first i watch batman vs dracula because someone claimed it was good...

then i go to the internets to say how not-good it was, and i read about this...

:(

YakiSOBA

The Faceless Master said:
damn, two tragedies in a row...

first i watch batman vs dracula because someone claimed it was good...

then i go to the internets to say how not-good it was, and i read about this...

:(

hahaha! :lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
all condolences to his family, but when a man makes his living irritating dangerous animals...

Snaku

Banned
speedpop said:
Aye, updated the first post for it. I feel sorry for the family.

Imagine her hearing it on a radio, seeing it on a tele, or in a newspaper when she returns. Dead panic, false hope, and utter devastation is where that leads. :( This is terrible on so many levels.

MetalAlien

Banned
Steve Irwin dies by animal attack..

In other news.

Michael Jackson, comes out of the closet.
Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes separate
President Bush goes on vacation, from his vacation.
Bill Gates, buys something.
Iraq, still a mess.
Superman Returns directors cut TBR, now worth watching.

alright that last one was just a wish.. sorry.

EDIT:

It is believed Mr Irwin's American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and is yet to be told of her husband's death.

YIKES!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
wtffffffffffff

at least he made his own feature length movie before passing on. we'll have him forever encased in film history.

brandonh83 said:
It's true. This was inevitable, though highly unfortunate. He was awesome. :(

It's true he lead a life dealing with dangerous animals. The dumbass sentiment in the original post wasn't true imo nor is it really necessary to hear 50 people say. "I knew he would die". Bully for you psychics. You win a cookie. You can can stop being asses now.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
anyone else have a problem with the press and world knowing about it before his wife does? I thought news agencies had policies on these things, where they didnt report names until the next of kin was notified.

Kangu

Banned
sp0rsk said:
I wonder how this could have happened? Was he just not paying attention?

"The giant stingray is one of the most dangerous animals in the entire ocean. Its razor sharp barb can impale human flesh like melted butter and kill almost anything instantaneously. Lets go see if we can catch one!"

I imagine it went something like that.

Stoney Mason said:
It's true he lead a life dealing with dangerous animals. The dumbass sentiment in the original post wasn't true imo nor is it really necessary to hear 50 people say. "I knew he would die". Bully for you pyschics. You win a cookie. You can can stop being asses now.

I think it's easy to misinterpret posts on a message board, but I actually wasn't saying it with any sarcastic or smart ass intent at all. I just don't find this very surprising.

whytemyke said:
anyone else have a problem with the press and world knowing about it before his wife does? I thought news agencies had policies on these things, where they didnt report names until the next of kin was notified.

Big news more important than little feelings

MetalAlien

Banned
whytemyke said:

If she hears it over the radio or reads it in the paper, DAMN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom