• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
A nerf wouldn't make me drop Mika. Gameplay isn't the reason I play Mika or any character, really; it's just 'cause she's Mika and she's awesome. It's always aesthetics first for me when it comes to my FG mains.

Also, losing badly doesn't make me want to give up. It does the opposite: it makes me want to train harder to overcome the obstacle. Now that I'm seeing notable improvement, that motivates me to improve even more.
lol just j/k...I don’t play enough strong Mikas to be overly annoyed with her either way. But I do think her clap might get nerfed, it’s a bit brain dead. She isn’t El fuete annoying tbh, and against shoto it’s usually a momentum battle anyway. Still, wouldn’t mind playing your Rog, Mika is more fun to play as versus against, just the nature of her play style really.

FluxWaveZ

lol just j/k...I don’t play enough strong Mikas to be overly annoyed with her either way. But I do think her clap might get nerfed, it’s a bit brain dead. She isn’t El fuete annoying tbh, and against shoto it’s usually a momentum battle anyway. Still, wouldn’t mind playing your Rog, Mika is more fun to play as versus against, just the nature of her play style really.

I don't know if her clap will or really should get nerfed. Essentially, it's the entire crux of how she can get going. Without it, her threat level when it comes to footsies drops dramatically lower than it already is, and her options to even ever get going drops monumentally.

The only thing she has as a grappler is the guessing game, but nerfing the clap is basically removing the only viable approach option she has during the neutral game which isn't the crazy unsafe stuff like cr.HP, charge st.HK or jumping. If that was to be nerfed, she'd need some other part of her buffed to make up for it.

I don't know if her clap will or really should get nerfed. Essentially, it's the entire crux of how she can get going. Without it, her threat level when it comes to footsies drops dramatically lower than it already is, and her options to even ever get going drops monumentally.

The only thing she has as a grappler is the guessing game, but nerfing the clap is basically removing the only viable approach option she has during the neutral game which isn't the crazy unsafe stuff like cr.HP, charge st.HK or jumping. If that was to be nerfed, she'd need some other part of her buffed to make up for it.

I think the only possible way to nerf it, would be to make it always go into the followup, essentially making it unsafe on block.
Though I don't think it needs nerfing either.

cHaotix8

Eh, I think her neutral is fine, it's just non-traditional. She doesn't have a lot of moves that can whiff punish reliably, but has things that when spaced correctly, can get her in at frame advantage. The hop kick and roll for example are both negative point blank, but one spaced as they should be they can end up being plus while also comboing on hit.

I can see something being done about the Irish Whip too. She's the only character in the game that can put you in the corner off a single touch, which is pretty strong. I could see them maybe taking that away or making passion press more negative, since you should be using it as either a counter poke, whiff punish or hit confirming into it off of st mp anyway. The way it is now kind of makes it really scary to deal with in neutral since one small mistake on your part put you in fucksville.

well yeah, they need to buff something else, that’s what make her gimmicky though, her offense revolving around one move that’s really good. Should be balanced around a few more moves instead IMO, it would make her a bit more enjoyable to play against. I think in an earlier beta you didn’t get a bounce with her clap from everywhere on the screen, had to be a little closer to the corner to get the juggle. Definitely wouldn’t mind a revert back to that.

It’s the issue with El Fuete, no where near as bad as his nonsense wake-up guess game, but he was more universally panned for being super fun to play as (you got to be offensively creative the entire fight) and super annoying to play against. I think this is something Capcom should try to avoid as it just makes players pick up a character until people learn to defend against them well, and then they get dropped once footsie and fundamentals win out. Unblockables, pre-designed mix-ups, it seems to go against the philosophy of the game this time around.

FluxWaveZ

Eh, I think her neutral is fine, it's just non-traditional. She doesn't have a lot of moves that can whiff punish reliably, but has things that when spaced correctly, can get her in at frame advantage. The hop kick and roll for example are both negative point blank, but one spaced as they should be they can end up being plus while also comboing on hit.

I can see something being done about the Irish Whip too. She's the only character in the game that can put you in the corner off a single touch, which is pretty strong. I could see them maybe taking that away or making passion press more negative, since you should be using it as either a counter poke, whiff punish or hit confirming into it off of st mp anyway. The way it is now kind of makes it really scary to deal with in neutral since one small mistake on your part put you in fucksville.

The thing is that—barring the perfectly spaced cr.HP > LP > LP > Shooting Peach or a charged drop kick into whatever, both of which are really unsafe—her clap is the only thing that can actually convert to something else when playing footsies and it isn't a counter hit or a stray st.MP > shooting peach (which doesn't really happen outside of pressure situations).

One touch being able to bring the opponent near or into the corner does sound pretty crazy on paper, but it's also the fundamental design for everything Mika's about and the only real way she has to win, because it certainly isn't by playing footsies the whole game and having that damage stack up. Basically, again, depending on how the Irish Whip was nerfed, she'd absolutely have to have another part of her strengthened to make up for it. Or an overhaul to her entire fundamental design (reduce effectiveness of clap, improve effectiveness of st.MK, reduce effectiveness of Lady Mika, improve effectiveness of V-Skill, etc.).

If anybody is on, I've got time for a few quick matches before the wife and j watch Game of Thrones. Anybody want to invite a below level super bronze? CFN:blackbanditsho

I think the only possible way to nerf it, would be to make it always go into the followup, essentially making it unsafe on block.
Though I don't think it needs nerfing either.
Compared to it’s potential damage, that’s what it should be on block. But as Flux said, Mika would be pretty booty cheeks if she couldn’t throw out MP - clap frequently. She’s not overly strong, (though damage has some effect on that i think, everyone can die easily in the game) so we’ll see if Capcom changes anything about her. I definitely think it should at least go back to not pinning you into corner from anywhere on screen, feels derpy atm...

FluxWaveZ

The clap being an obligatory follow-up on block is a pretty interesting idea. I'll see Mikas spamming the clap sometimes and I'll also feel silly doing it, so maybe making that an all-or-nothing move could fix things.

GGs Edge. Definitely didn't do so hot that set. I never think about the need to hold up against Vega sometimes. Those command grabs were getting to me.

If anyone else wants to play, I still have a lobby open.

Edgeward

GGs Edge. Definitely didn't do so hot that set. I never think about the need to hold up against Vega sometimes. Those command grabs were getting to me.

If anyone else wants to play, I still have a lobby open.

Yea, it got to your head a bit and you weren't able to play like you did last time. You weren't able to anti-air effectively this set and was very defensive. I think a thing to look at is recognizing when the opponent doesn't have the knockdown advantage. I got pressure a couple times when I shouldn't have. And you got conservative with your meter at times I felt.

I actually don't think Mika needs to be nerfed in any way. I mean I hate it when I outplay her for almost the entire round only to lose because I got clapped, but it's just the nature of the character.

Really I think everyone should just have their anti Mika character. Mine is Ryu...and Mika lol. Nash works out sometimes as well.

Skilletor

I dunno...f+mp, mp is super easy to confirm, and f+mp is only...what, -2?

Maybe make it so that f+mp does f+mp,mp with no confirm, and make it less minus than it is now?

I think the move for risk reward is just really, really good as it is.

Inb4 "Thinking isn't gonna get us anywhere" post

bf1db0cb.jpg

Had to be done.

FluxWaveZ

GGs, Pure_Phazon.

I actually don't think Mika needs to be nerfed in any way. I mean I hate it when I outplay her for almost the entire round only to lose because I got clapped, but it's just the nature of the character.

Really I think everyone should just have their anti Mika character. Mine is Ryu...and Mika lol. Nash works out sometimes as well.

The funny thing is, I feel like most characters can be "anti-Mika." I dunno if this is "main character bias," but I don't really think there are any MUs where Mika actually has the advantage. Maybe against Bison? I feel like that'd still be 5:5. Even Zangief can be really scary playing as Mika.

I dunno...f+mp, mp is super easy to confirm, and f+mp is only...what, -2?

Maybe make it so that f+mp does f+mp,mp with no confirm, and make it less minus than it is now?

I think the move for risk reward is just really, really good as it is.

Super easy is a definite overstatement. Even the best Mikas out there won't be confirming that 100% of the time, especially when we consider the fact that the risk with this is 37-38f of recovery on whiff.

GGs Flux. I tried my best to keep up lol. You're super aggressive play style is pretty fun to play against. I really gotta get used to spacing Nash's AA's. So many times they would whiff and I'd get punished hard.

FluxWaveZ

GGs Flux. I tried my best to keep up lol. You're super aggressive play style is pretty fun to play against. I really gotta get used to spacing Nash's AA's. So many times they would whiff and I'd get punished hard.

I like how consistently you use jab as an AA. I gotta learn to do that. I was jumping way too much in general in that set, but I kept getting swatted out of the sky, which was cool.

Zangief stomps a hole in Mika so that's no surrpise.

I think it's one of his unambiguously favoured matchups

For similar reasons, Alex has an advantage in that MU. From Ryu, to Ken, to Chun-Li, to Dhalsim, to Nash, to even Karin or Zangief, Mika's got a hill to climb. But, because of her unorthodox game plan compared to the rest, it's not like she's at a significant disadvantage either. It's why I think talk about balancing Mika needs to be very careful, because removing something crucial to her could easily make her one of the worst characters in the game (if not the worst) instead of being able to hold her own against characters who, on paper, should have a very definite advantage.

Skilletor

Super easy is a definite overstatement. Even the best Mikas out there won't be confirming that 100% of the time, especially when we consider the fact that the risk with this is 37-38f of recovery on whiff.

I don't think it is, especially considering the momentum, combos, corner carry, and setups she gets from the move. I mean...I don't see the whiff animation very often in even the most casual of play.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think it is, especially considering the momentum, combos, corner carry, and setups she gets from the move. I mean...I don't see the whiff animation very often in even the most casual of play.

A Mika definitely won't be whiffing it too much because of the long ass recovery, but at the same time you'll also often see them hit the clap but not turn it into a rope throw because the window is relatively small and, if the Mika wasn't necessarily looking for it, they won't be able to convert. They'll hesitate to hit the follow-up because of the long recovery.

I like how consistently you use jab as an AA. I gotta learn to do that. I was jumping way too much in general in that set, but I kept getting swatted out of the sky, which was cool.

Yeah, Nash's jab is really good for checking people both on the ground and in the air. Just can't use jab as your only button for AA, since there are spots where it will whiff. Especially in the cross up range. I think that's one of the tougher things about Nash. He has all these buttons that can AA, but most of them have specific spacings and timings.

I think jab as an AA works best for taller characters than it does for others. Characters like FANG and Zangief have god like jab AAs.

Dhalsim is well, Dhalsim.

Nash is good-ish and Alex's is also pretty good.

Alucrid

Banned

well i see the whiff animation a lot

because i miss it

funny thing is that most people leave that shit unpunished. i serve myself up on a plate and everyone drops it. it's like it's still launch week.

qcf x2

Zangief stomps a hole in Mika so that's no surrpise.

I think it's one of his unambiguously favoured matchups

Who are the others, Laura must be one of them.

To the Chun Li players, what's the secret code to get the SBK to come out after cr lp, st mp, cr mk?

Xeteh

Necalli's jab is underrated, makes it hard to cross him up.

I'm bad about spacing it when I play Necalli. It drives me up a wall with Cammy though, I get so frustrated when I get jabbed out of an EX dive kick.

To the Chun Li players, what's the secret code to get the SBK to come out after cr lp, st mp, cr mk?

Not a Chun player (duh) but from what I've heard you have to delay the SBK till the last possible timing on the c.mk. Its supposedly super tricky.

FluxWaveZ

The hurtbox is smaller than his arm-length, isn't it?

No idea; I'm guessing it's one of the things that changes dramatically when he enters V-Trigger mode.

I meant as AA. I already know the panic move of jab so they can v trigger to big damage. So annoying

Ah, specifically as an AA. I feel like I've heard plenty about it in the tournaments I've watched, but maybe it was about the use you're talking about.

Not a Chun player (duh) but from what I've heard you have to delay the SBK till the last possible timing on the c.mk. Its supposedly super tricky.
I remember watching a video or something about how when you do that combo, you should do a half circle after charging the SBK.

down to forward to up. Apparently, if you have the appropriate charge then you get the SBK, and if not, you get the lightning legs so you don't leave yourself in an uncomfortable position.

I feel so
pointlessly
high and mighty that I cleared easy and normal survival with every character, and hard with 2 characters.

Xeteh

Do I dare trying out
normal >_<
survival again with Karin or do I just go to sleep?

I've beaten it with Karin twice for colors and I found the AI doesn't react to her HP Ressenha in to slide very well at all.

I feel so
pointlessly
high and mighty that I cleared easy and normal survival with every character, and hard with 2 characters.

I still haven't done normal with Bison and FANG, and I can only get to the low 30s on Hard with Cammy/Necalli. Nowhere close to beating that.

I've beaten it with Karin twice for colors and I found the AI doesn't react to her HP Ressenha in to slide very well at all.

I still haven't done normal with Bison and FANG, and I can only get to the low 30s on Hard with Cammy/Necalli. Nowhere close to beating that.
Ironically Bison and FANG are the ones I did hard with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom