• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streetwear |OT| Built Exclusively with Supreme Bricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

kimkanyeshoppingsport3soj8.jpg

What is Streetwear?

According to Google.com, Streetwear is a distinctive style of street fashion. Rooted in Californian surf and skate culture, it has grown to encompass elements of hip hop fashion, Japanese street fashion, and modern haute couture fashion. As with many grassroots cultural movements, streetwear has been notoriously difficult to define.

Basically, you know it when you see it. It's been around for decades.

The aspect I love most about this style is how I can find inspiration from men or women, past or present, young or old, black, white, Asian or any other race. It is truly a universal style.

Popular Brands

There are hundreds and hundreds of different streetwear brands, so I can't possibly put a spotlight on all of them here. So I'm just going to cover the big three. To learn about more, you're just going to have to keep up with the thread! ;)

Supreme_logo.gif

Supreme is a skateboarding shop/clothing brand established in New York City in April 1994.

The brand caters to the Skateboarding, Hip hop and Punk rock cultures, and the youth culture at large. Unlike other clothing brands, who release their new collections all at once, Supreme releases a small number of items at a time, typically five to fifteen. This "drop" occurs online and in store once every week on Thursdays at eleven in the morning (eastern US time). This strategy maintains the aura of "hype" that the brand creates. (and also results in their shit being expensive as fuck and hard as shit to get your hands on) Their shoes, clothing, and accessories create a big secondary market for supreme clothing, because items are produced to a very limited quantity and also because there are only ten stores worldwide.

Supreme collabs are some of the most hype events in all of streetwear. They've done collabs with Nike, Air Jordan, Vans, Clarks, The North Face, Hanes, Playboy, Levi's, Timberland, Comme des Garçons, Stone Island, UNDERCOVER, White Castle as well as many more.

I'll try to keep the thread up to date on all of the new drops!

slider_62_20140618142smqkl.jpg

tumblr_ob37mnhrea1tnvsmqb2.jpg

A Bathing Ape (ア・ベイシング・エイプ A Beishingu Eipu) (or BAPE) is a Japanese clothing brand founded by Nigo in Ura-Harajuku in 1993. The brand specializes in men's, women's and children's lifestyle and street wear, running 19 stores in Japan.

Bape frequently collaborates with other brands and features characters from popular media such as SpongeBob SquarePants, Marvel comics characters, Nintendo, DC Comics, and Hello Kitty and the Sanrio Family. These designs are used throughout the Bathing Ape range, on goodies, accessories, hoodies, jackets, T-shirts and shoes. A Bathing Ape has also collaborated with many other famous brands such as Pepsi, Coca Cola, M*A*C, Comme des Garçons, Undercover, Neighborhood Technical Apparel, Mastermind Japan, Carhartt, Casio and artists such as Biggie Smalls, Beastie Boys, Pharrell, UNKLE, Devisu, Kanye West, A$AP Rocky, A$AP Ferg, Kid Cudi, Juelz Santana, Soulja Boy, Pusha T, KAWS, Kreayshawn, Linkin Park, Gary Panter, Big Sean, Lil' Wayne, Chris Brown, Future, Flatbush Zombies, G-Eazy, Travis Scott, and Domo Genesis.

palace-skateboards-skklpdp.png

tumblr_nztojitui21sno56qr8.jpg

Founded in 2010 by Lev Tanju, Palace has grown into one of the most sought-after independent skateboard brands of modern skate culture. Known for its VHS-infused skate videos and distinct logo, the company produces an array of boards and hard goods, in addition to a full cut & sew clothing line and graphic tees with the help of designers Fergus Purcell (Fergadellic) of Silas & Tonite and Will Bankhead of Mo’Wax, two of London’s finest skate creatives.

Where do I buy this shit?

For IRL locations, reddit has a nice city guide. I always prefer buying shit in person so I can try it on.

Here's a huge list of online stores. If there's a hype drop coming, lets try to post the link in the thread.

HELPFUL LINKS

Sneaker-GAF - Sneakers are an essential element of streetwear and possibly the most important part of your outfit. There is so much hype, discussion and releases for sneakers that I couldn't possibly go over all of that here. Luckily, we have our very own Sneaker thread on GAF, so definitely check it out.

Men's Fashion GAF - The truth is, there are some occasions in life where you might come off like a goof if you dress in streetwear, unless you can really pull it off. Chillin with the homies? It's all good. Walking to bucks to grab a coffee? Throw on those ripped jeans, fam. Going to an event with an employer or co-workers? Well don't fear, put the Jordans away and check out the Men's Fashion thread to class your ass up for those more formal events.

Denim-GAF - Like sneakers, a sick pair of jeans is fucking key. We have a dedicated Denim community on GAF that can help you make a decision when you're looking to drop some cash on a sick pair.

r/streetwear is Reddit's streetwear community and is fucking LOADED with info, pics, news, guides and inspiration albums for streetwear. I spend days on here just looking through stuff. They have some great beginner's guides too, definitely worth a look!

Various tumblr blogs - If you're interested in streetwear, I highly recommend starting a tumblr account and just following a bunch of streerwear tumblrs. There's some great shots and inspiration on there. Lots are NSFW, but I prefer the term "art". Here's one that I follow. It might just be easier to follow/go through my tumblr and just follow all the cool people you see!

High Snobiety - One of the many fashion blogs I follow, good source to see upcoming releases, fashion news, etc.

GAF INSTAGRAMS

Anth0ny
oyoshimaru

If you want, post your fashion instagram/tumblr/whatever and I'll add it to the list.

t3cjrw5.jpg

shoutouts to google and wikipedia for letting me copy and paste a bunch of info on brands :)

Now lets discuss our favorite streetwear styles, ask lots and lots of questions, post our favorite inspiration, discuss what Kanye was wearing, hype upcoming releases, and of course, cry about taking that L on the latest Supreme drop.

Commence the hype, fuckboys.

FStop7

Banned
Took the Gucci L, too. Had one in my cart and the site sort of broke. Refreshed and they were gone.

Anth0ny

Good looks, I'm just not trying to break the bank on some of these.

May I interest you in some Yeezy Season 4 apparel?

yeezy-season-3-collecd7out.jpg

T-Shirts – $195 USD – $250 USD

Crewneck Sweatshirts – $275 USD – $1800 USD

Hoodies – $325 USD – $1080 USD

Knitwear – $1500 USD – $1800 USD

Outerwear – $410 USD – $1500 USD

Pants – $350 USD – $425 USD

Boots – $645 USD – $725 USD

Bags – TBC

i'm so sorry

vikki

Is this just clothes? I'm not being entirely facetious, maybe a little, but it really looks like run of the mill jeans and t-shirts

Quick

Banned
I guess by definition of the thread, I'm sort of into streetwear.

I'm not a big fan of giant branding though. Also not into techwear too much if this is also part of it:

That being said, the most streetwear thing I own is probably my sukajan jacket. It's pretty great and the "loudest" thing I own.

13394984_1140126212747557_1622500699_n.jpg

Anth0ny

Is this just clothes? I'm not being entirely facetious, maybe a little, but it really looks like run of the mill jeans and t-shirts

Rooted in Californian surf and skate culture, it has grown to encompass elements of hip hop fashion, Japanese street fashion, and modern haute couture fashion.

when I think of run of the mill jeans and t shirts, I think of wal mart, gap, j crew...

Streetwear goes a bit deeper. Brands play an important part (like Supreme, Bape, Yeezy, Jordan, Adidas...) but it's also a look. I don't really consider an outfit of, say, bomber jacket, ripped jeans and expensive sneakers "run of the mill".

My style has kind of drifted towards being mostly in the realm of streetwear over the last year (I'm lucky to work in a super relaxed environment).

Love the thread.

vikki

when I think of run of the mill jeans and t shirts, I think of wal mart, gap, j crew...

Streetwear goes a bit deeper. Brands play an important part (like Supreme, Bape, Yeezy, Jordan, Adidas...) but it's also a look. I don't really consider an outfit of, say, bomber jacket, ripped jeans and expensive sneakers "run of the mill".

I do wear adidas, but I don't think I got that street wear look. I got that "dad wearing a hoodie and shorts" look.

Luckily I work right next to the Palace and supreme stores in London. Love Palace to bits and own a bunch of their stuff, but not so enamoured with Supreme.

Finally somewhere I can talk about the latest drops. I dont really post outfit pics on my instagram but I can share my profile, youll find some shoes/streetwear brands on it. Speaking of which, one of my favorites right now is Patta, they just opened up their second store in London.

BreakJohn

Nice I was looking for something like this on neogaf. Today's supreme drop was insane specifically the gucci mane shirt which sold out stupid fast. So glad I was able to grab one though.

FStop7

Banned
I ended up with an extra Seven Samurai shirt so I'm gonna try to use it as trade bait for Gucci Mane.

All the vultures on Grailed have the GM shirts listed for $300 - $400 now, which is stupid.

BTA

Now I finally know what Bathing Ape is; saw it on shirts fairly often while I was in Japan.

Acrylic7

I tried to get the orange Sumo Supreme shirt today to match the Orange color blocked Jacket I got, and the Shattered Backboards I'm most likely taking a devastating L on. Supreme bots jammed the damn site for the Gucci collab -_-

Acrylic7 is forever taking L's.

I usually try and get some Supreme stuff every thursday but trying to cop hyped shit on mobile is difficult. I didn't even try and get the Gucci stuff because I knew it was impossible and I still couldn't get the damn Sumo.

Slightly off topic, was loosely following the Streetwear scene due to me coming across a Youtuber who started out reviewing drops for Supreme, as the channel goes on he ends homeless and most of his valuables stolen. Aside from that, I think the scene and culture is very interesting but I think I'm too old to dive in lol.

trixx

I don't like the overt branding personally. I'd buy shirts from urban outfitters, zumiez and such match it with some jeans or sweats and roll. I'm broke as well.

Just bought a pair of free flyknit 5.0 for my marathon. But ill rock it as a walking/training pair while they're somewhat fresh.

o ya bape>supreme

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I really don't like Stussy/Supreme/Stone Island/BAPE etc.

I always make the same recommendations. I think you can pull off a nice "street" style without looking too teenager-ish. Some brands like John Elliott which even if usually expensive has a few pieces worth buying if you have the money and can actually try them before buying, Reigning Champ for anything sportish (like this awesome varsity jacket I got), Aime Leon Doré is a new brand that has some really good looks.

I'd avoid the heavily branded stuff usually associated with street wear. I prefer a mix of something clean and something casual, like sweats and a quality trench coat, or jogger-style chinos with a bomber. Clean sneakers, not loud ones.

Basically I see street wear as associated with late teens early 20s, skater-DJ-photogs, I'm too old for that.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I really don't like Stussy/Supreme/Stone Island/BAPE etc.

I always make the same recommendations. I think you can pull off a nice "street" style without looking too teenager-ish. Some brands like John Elliott which even if usually expensive has a few pieces worth buying if you have the money and can actually try them before buying, Reigning Champ for anything sportish (like this awesome varsity jacket I got), Aime Leon Doré is a new brand that has some really good looks.

I'd avoid the heavily branded stuff usually associated with street wear. I prefer a mix of something clean and something casual, like sweats and a quality trench coat, or jogger-style chinos with a bomber. Clean sneakers, not loud ones.

Basically I see street wear as associated with late teens early 20s, skater-DJ-photogs, I'm too old for that.

Completely agree. I wear a fair bit of Reigning Champ and absolutely love the Tod Snyder x Champion collection.

Mix any of those tops with a pair of good denim (I typically go with Baldwin since I'm in KC) and either my Wolverine 1000 Mile boots or some Stefan Nikes SBs.

Comfortable and modern, but still totally presentable in public, at a sit down restaurant, etc. Not knocking anyone else's preference; but SUPREME branding just isn't for me. Also, make fun of me all you want, but Filson has some damn nice casual jackets and vests.

FStop7

Banned
My rule of thumb is no more than one branded or flashy item per outfit.

For low key stuff I really like Stampd, Daniel Patrick, I Love Ugly, Reigning Champ.

I like a lot of Supreme's graphic tees.

I'm becoming a fan of Undercover.

I like individual things from Palace, Off-White, Fear of God, but no real love for the brands.

Thank you for this thread. Been waiting for this but didn't think there would be any gaffers interested.

Those Bape x Alpha Industries bomber look fantastic.. But the price is too ridiculous for m to justify it

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If I had to wear a "loud" jacket it's be this one from Aime Leon Dore (don't know how often I posted it now):

They have it in navy, and yellow too. I need a new winter coat, and even if it's not for very cold weather I'd still wear it with a warm hoodie underneath. Sadly this brand isn't for sale here so I can't try it :/ All sold out anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom