• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sudden absurd PS2 launch year nostalgia...

teiresias

I was in college during this launch ( second year maybe) and had it paid off at Electronic Boutique (I think they were still called that at the time). They had a very early morning open the day of launch - not midnight but I was there at like dawn or something walking into the mall and picked it up before class. Awesome day.

KalBalboa

Banned
I just bought a copy of SSX for the same reason. I'm going to grab Taken Tag and TimeSplitters (the original) this month too.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I played mostly PS1 games on my PS2 that first year, the lineup was mostly crap from my point of view.

IrishNinja

christ, can't believe i bought Summoner, what a shit game. that system just sat around playing DVD's and envying my DC until i got Tekken Tag, haha

of course, within just over a year or so i wanna say we had FF X, MGS2, DMC etc so it wasn't a long window & honestly, PS3 & 4 both wish they had that launch lineup

If we're talking about nostalgia from that time, I remember ribbing my friend who got a PS2 at the time with quite a few games that my Dreamcast collection destroyed what his PS2 had to offer at the time, haha.

MGS2 is what made me get a PS2, which I got the following year along with Silent Hill 2.

*dap*

PaulloDEC

I remember seeing some box art and screenshots of Fantavision back in the day and being absolutely fascinated by them. Had no idea what the game was at the time, just loved the way it looked.

Keep in mind that the PS2's Japanese launch was in March 2000, so the first year library wound up being stronger than with more recent consoles due to developers having more time to produce games for it. The SNES similarly had a completely ridiculous first-year American lineup (Super Mario World, Zelda:ALTTP, FFIV, F-Zero, Super Mario Kart, Street Fighter 2, among others) due to it launching nine months after it did in Japan.

PS2 launch in France

iPUHQcyTgFjeV.gif

braves01

Banned
Not a good launch lineup at all. But...

... probably the best second year lineup of all time. God damn look at that.

Best gaming holiday. In addition to those, and thps3/madden/ssx tricky/ all the other 3rd party stuff, we got xbox and gc launches (so halo, doa, melee, luigi's mansion, pikmin, rogue leader, monkey ball)...plus gba launch earlier that year.

Reveirg

I remember playing the hell out of The Bouncer and Evergrace back in the days. Loved those games.

I think I'm better off not touching those again if I don't want to ruin my good memories XD.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I had a Japanese model that I got on launch (March 4th) from one of the big import sites (they were based out of Queens, NY...I forgot their name).

But man, when that US launch came around and I got my retail unit directly from Sony's wonderful PR team, I damn near had an aneurism when the package arrived. And there were so games that came with it. I fucking loved Midnight Club, SSX, Madden NFL, Tekken Tag, etc. That whole 18 months was just heaven for me.

I remember getting Onimusha two weeks before release and cutting school to play it and review it. And my review of The Bouncer ended up becoming fairly infamous, but I stood by it. It was a fucking awesome game with insane graphics, awesome multiplayer, and solid gameplay. It was a modern day Streets of Rage. The only reason it was hated on was because of its length, but with numerous characters, multiplayer, and I believe some alternate paths/endings, it had plenty of replay value to justify its $50 price tag.

But yeah, after summer 2001, the PS2 simply solidified itself as the greatest gaming console ever. GT3, Ico, J&D, MGS2, GTA3, and FFX...instant classics.

orborborb

played a whole hell of a lot of Midnight Club and nothing else at launch

but then... Ico, Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry, GTA III, Frequency, Jak and Daxter, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Final Fantasy X, Rez, and Maximo.... whooosh

Top Bottom