• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

:lol

I was wondering why Watamote made certain people uncomfortable by being too relatable until I saw her stare at her phone in fear, unsure of the mysterious noise it was making as she received a call.

ibhMWFcRbJGoDV.gif

Oofuri summer Episode 2
tumblr_mq44z86EFD1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Always Tajima, lol. At least the games are starting next episode
though if Hamada and the cheering crew wont be there will be slightly sad, didnt really understand that scene much with the teacher, he was an integral part so would be missed if absent

Abe and Mihashi, if they can communicate on the basic level somehow (voice control and tone Abe please), then I think it can get even better this last few episodes.

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 2 - Warning! :cajun fans may want to use caution before watching this episode, it was somewhat ridiculously cute at times (read: most of the time). It's also much less creepy than the first episode, since there's no nudity (except for a quite brief flashback to ep.1). So yeah, pictures again. I won't do that for every episode, but I will this time anyway.

That said, the episode. In this episode, Illya learns how to fight, and starts her first battle for a Card. Hmm, a magical girl show, collecting cards? I wonder where they got that idea from... :p

vlcsnap-2013-07-17-019mbkc.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-07-17-01b3baw.jpg

As you can imagine, Rin is tempted to follow through on this offer... but passes, unfortunately. :) Also, this is a nice example of how animating Ruby's wing things really helps give her more personality.
Anyway, the episode starts with Illya, Rin, and Ruby in Illya's room, later that night (after ep. 1). Rin explains some things, but not everything Illya needs to know. She is told about the card collecting, though. Some amusing stuff happens. I really like how well Ruby is animated; they really gave this star staff thing a lot of life. Well done.

vlcsnap-2013-07-17-01fxlzg.jpg

Sure, sure Rin. Lie to a child. We all know the truth!
Ruby's a jerk and liked to force you to embarrass you with that costume.

vlcsnap-2013-07-17-016kz8f.jpg

Well, she's technically right, I guess... :)
Then, the next day, Illya goes to school, and evades some questions from her friends. She starts out optimistic about this major change to her life, but her mood turns once Rin forces her to come to the highschool at midnight, for reasons unspecified before she arrives. So yeah, even Rin trolls Illya a bit. Ah well, she'll get back at them by being a pretty awesome magical girl... eventually.

vlcsnap-2013-07-17-010fyia.jpg

And thus begins yet another Ruby troll. Illya is suspicious, but does it anyway, unfortunately for her. In the future, don't listen to that thing, Illya... :)
Before that though, that evening at home Ruby cons Illya into doing some cute stuff, purely because Ruby is apparently a lolicon (series excuse: magical girl fan who's just thrilled to have a magical girl who looks the part, unlike violent, and high-school-age, Rin).
vlcsnap-2013-07-17-01sayx5.jpg

The result: Cute but useless twirling. Yes, Ruby passes this off as "learning how to use your weapons". :lol

Of course, it's for the first card-collection,
Rider
. And... surprise! Yes, Illya, you have to fight and defeat the cards to collect them. No one bothered to tell her that before the fight started. :lol Fortunately she learns quickly. Rin tries to attack it, but her magic does nothing to the card warriors, so she
runs, hides, and cheers Illya on from the sidelines :lol]/spoiler] while Illya fights by herself.
vlcsnap-2013-07-17-01jcbzz.jpg

Rin may not be able to damage the card warriors, but her top-tier ZR is intact, for sure.

vlcsnap-2013-07-17-01uzlrg.jpg

Well, isn't that what anyone would do when they see a fearsome warrior like that appear and start attacking them with little warning?

vlcsnap-2013-07-17-014vazt.jpg

Illya's first called attack sure has a fearsome name to it! :D

vlcsnap-2013-07-17-01uia80.jpg

It works anyway, though.

She does decently at first, after that initial running back and forth, but eventually
Rider starts dodging her fire and then begins a super powerful charge-up attack. Things look bad when...Miyu appears! And promptly saves the day, too, using Lancer's card power. I'm sure we'll finally hear from her in ep. 3, but she's the other magical staff thing's choice for magical girl, and thus will be one of the main characters. She wears a blue outfit, and is the quiet and reserved type.
What good timing.

vlcsnap-2013-07-17-017wx8c.jpg

From during the battle. Cute stuff.

Overall, it was a quite good episode. It was adorably cute, the battle was well done and had a good mix of serious and silly, the story moved forward a bit -- and yes, the series is competently written, by anime standards anyway. That is an important caveat, as lots of bad anime tropes are on display in this franchise, but it's good fun, and the story's decent and gets better over time, too; the third manga series is the best yet, I think. It'll take a long time for the anime to get that far, though, if it ever does. Ah well. But the anime that we have is good so far, and I recommend at least giving it a try. It's good.

Shergal

Well, if Oshii actually praised KT I would actually start thinking it could be his best thing since Porco Rosso.

Don't think it's gonna happen though, best to keep the expectations low :p

Narag

Watamote 2

This is pretty nice so far. Seems far more grounded than a lot of shows even if the inner monologues get a little outrageous at times. Lead ends up endearing as a result.

fertygo

:lol

I was wondering why Watamote made certain people uncomfortable by being too relatable until I saw her stare at her phone in fear, unsure of the mysterious noise it was making as she received a call.

ibhMWFcRbJGoDV.gif

LOL I thought its would go as far as moe anime does too, but its hit me hard.. my life must've very pathetic to can relate to bullshit like that.. feels bad man.

I like swearing to random in my head too lol

Fantasista Doll - 1 & 2

Pretty enjoyable so far. Some of the characters don't seem to have much to them so far, but I'm enjoying the premise and the situation the main character has to deal with now.

Gotta give this show some credit for not making it a harem comedy when it could have easily been one with this kind of scenario. Instead they're taking another approach. Pretty standard stuff so far, but enjoyable nonetheless.

fertygo

Oofuri summer Episode 2
tumblr_mq44z86EFD1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Always Tajima, lol. At least the games are starting next episode
though if Hamada and the cheering crew wont be there will be slightly sad, didnt really understand that scene much with the teacher, he was an integral part so would be missed if absent

Abe and Mihashi, if they can communicate on the basic level somehow (voice control and tone Abe please), then I think it can get even better this last few episodes.

Wow S2 already? I don't see your impression for end of S1 (or last few of episode)
Can you link it if you does?

Sailor Moon 18

Today's victim is Shingo's waifu, Mika, in which he breaks her doll by accident because people teased him on being in love with Mika. Awkward moments happened, and Usagi becomes both enthusiastic and sharp because of this.

Mamoru still going for Junior High Poon, even if it means looking at dolls. Seems like they got the wish of seeing Sailor Moon, although I'm surprised Shingo just said "Yeah" like it was nothing when Mika said something about him saving her. As a reward, he got a handmade Sailor Moon model, which he adored. Mika responds with a "You like her THAT much!" And this right here folks, is a representation of todays figure collectors.

survivor

Banned
Tamayura ~hitotose~ 9

Did they really just spend a half episode dedicated to the cat, Momoneko? That was certainly unexpected. It's cool to see this anime takes its time to focus on other side characters. I would never have thought the Shimako confession thing to actually come back.

Hattori

Banned
Lupin the Third Part I
Episode 2

This episode features one of the more interesting Lupin antagonists, Pycal.
It delved just a tiny bit into Fujiko's complicated relationship with Lupin, and she's torn on who to root for because she's "loves two men at the same time."
It's lacking in the plot dept. in my opinion, but it's still very interesting episode nonetheless.

Narag

Lupin the Third Part I
Episode 2

This episode features one of the more interesting Lupin antagonists, Pycal.
It delved just a tiny bit into Fujiko's complicated relationship with Lupin, and she's torn on who to root for because she's "loves two men at the same time."
It's lacking in the plot dept. in my opinion, but it's still very interesting episode nonetheless.

Inching closer to four which is one of the best episodes in the series.

Lain

Day Break Illusion 2

Just as good as the first episode, I especially liked how they handled Akari
remembering how she unconsciously killed her cousin
and how she reacted after that. It felt fitting for the character. Also, while it was a sad scene seeing Akari
crying while telling her aunt to forgive her
I appreciate that so far there isn't a bait and switch like some other series with
dead characters that didn't actually die

Risette must be rolling her her grave. RIP

I don't follow this thread like I did in the past anymore, what happened to pizzaroll/risette?

zeroshiki

Just finished episode 10 of Eva. Shit is not living up to the hype.

6-7/10 and dropping

That is one random ass episode to drop on. Its unfortunate you feel that way but Eva is one of the most famous anime of all time for a reason. Perhaps it just didn't fit with your expectations.

Nafe

Wow, so many pages since the last time I posted. The thread seems to have slowed down quite a bit too.

Crunchyroll is like the best site ever for what just happened.It was my birthday yesterday so I was away from my computer, or either watching the steam sales. I come back on my computer to watch the new anime that free users could watch on CR, and I'm surprised with a 30 day free trial from CR.

EDIT: Nvm, they just asked me for a credit card :( Darn it! I was praising them so much too. I can do a 30 day trial anytime I want if I'm still going to be using a credit card in the end.

Happy (Belated)Birthday Gintoki. :)

Evo usually is, which is why I try hard not to miss it.

Yeah. This year just kind of felt more so for some reason. Maybe it was those MvC 3 finals.

Congratulations, Nafe! Living until the first year here would have been a success for a lot of posters (not that you will have any problem beyond that being this nice).

Thank you for the congratulations /XX/. :)

In some ways it's felt like a year but in other ways it seemed to kind of fly by. It was fun though so we'll see how this year goes. I meant to get back to your birthday response as well. I was distracted by last weekends EVO tournament and day to day things.

Yeah, you definitely took good note... don't misunderstand, you know... I... I just was testing your capabilities, Nafe, it... it is not like I wanted to be congratulated or anything! ( ≖ˇдˇ≖)

And that phrase is totally right! Learning from Mr. Reg-chan advices about the inverted exclamation mark, eh? Many, many thanks! ('¡muchas, muchísimas gracias!')... :'-)

The post you linked to is the exact one I was thinking of for a reminder. The hint of NA-I-SU day. Hopefully you had a nice day to go along with all the congratulations posted here. :)

That's right, I remembered the inverse exclamation mark this time, haha.

Oh yeah, I know you mention that someone doesn't have to respond every time someone gives out information to help another but thanks for your response a little while ago now to my post regarding the game series Wipeout and the company involved with that. I was going to thank you back at the time but didn't.

Kwixotik

That is one random ass episode to drop on. Its unfortunate you feel that way but Eva is one of the most famous anime of all time for a reason. Perhaps it just didn't fit with your expectations.

It's mostly the excessive fanservice/awkward random sex gags. I tolerated it at first but this episode had a ton of it centered around a 14 year old girl. On top of that the plot, themes, characters aren't really engaging so far. It does have mech and monster design going for it, I'll give it that at least.

I didn't mean I'm dropping the series, just meant unless things get better my score for it might drop below 6 or 7. I'll keep going because I heard the second half is better.

I'd also like to know why one drops a 6-7/10 anime and what he considers 10/10 shows.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say One Piece... or Zambot 3.

My only 10/10 show so far is Serial Experiments Lain. MAL

fertygo

Eva is all about endgame mang..shame on you dropping before even the latter half.

Votoms 36

Motherfucking Chirico take an AT with car and gun :bow :bow
This episode had everything.. action, catfight, and getting personal.. good stuff.

zeroshiki

It's mostly the excessive fanservice/awkward random sex gags. I tolerated it at first but this episode had a ton of it centered around a 14 year old girl. On top of that the plot, themes, characters aren't really engaging so far. It does have mech and monster design going for it, I'll give it that at least.

I didn't mean I'm dropping the series, just meant unless things get better my score for it might drop below 6 or 7. I'll keep going because I heard the second half is better.

My only 10/10 show so far is Serial Experiments Lain. MAL

Sorry, I didn't understand your rating thing at first.

Eva will take a very hard left turn from standard mecha anime into, well, something else very soon. I don't think Asuka was sexualized in any overt way. Hell, I think Shinji walking in on Rei coming out of the bath is the most fanservice Eva ever allowed itself.

trejo

Free! 2-3

I'd like to formally apologize for calling this show Dude-On! back when I watched the first episode in an uninformed attempt to establish a comparison with that one KyoAni show about moe pigs. I see now that it was a completely baseless and unjustified comparison as in contrast to that other show this one does seem to have a semblance of a plot or at the very least a goal that the characters can strive towards and strive towards they do since instead of locking themselves up in a clubroom day after day stuffing their fat faces with cake and tea and doing absolutely nothing of any worth they actually do get shit done and are putting in the work towards attaining their goals. The one sore spot amidst all these compelling characters is Gou-chan. Her schtick is already getting old at this point and the show would be better off if they reduced her appearances to the bare minimum if possible, imho. Ama-chan-sensei is alright.

In summary, thank you based KyoAni. All is forgiven.

fertygo

Talking about Eva, why there's no blu-ray release yet for it and end of Eva?
Its a scheme so no more people realize how ugly Rebuild looks?
Yup! About the same time too.

Do I gonna see Chirico or other cameo?

Votoms 37

Chirico and Ypsilon about to have showdown. Doshiyooooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom