• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
So one of my second year girls (14) is a huge Attack on Titan fan, and when I told her I dug it too, she kind of flipped. So for my birthday, she drew three quick freehand sketches for me.

Love my students.

Are these pictures coming from a small number of students or do you have an unusually large group of students who draw?

Are these pictures coming from a small number of students or do you have an unusually large group of students who draw?

In every class of 35 or so students, there are at LEAST five who are super good at drawing, and a bunch who are much better than they have any right to be.

The girl who drew these Attack on Titan sketches for me isn't even in the art club. She just likes anime/manga.

I would say there is definitely a higher percentage of kids who can draw here when compared to my experiences in America land.

Oh man, All Star New Stage 2 is worse than I thought. I just looked at a screen shot I took

3EtOl

Miki no longer has breasts, she's not "perfect"
HAHAHAHA
anymore. Everyone is truly devoid of breasts now. GREAT, they lost their biggest advantage (besides Setsuna) against the other Cures. Dammit New Stage. This is why no one accepts these movies as part of the canon.

Now that I think about it, there were no real cameos either.

wonzo

Banned
Kingdom S2 6

kingdoms26.jpg

the most intense piece of blank parchment ever

Man, Zheng's mother's a real piece of work, though understandably so. It makes me wonder how much of this is original stuff as the Manga covered this kinda thing ages ago but never
really showed us Zheng's mother at all and never really told us about what happened to her.
Still, it's about damn time they touched upon Zheng's
tragic
backstory and Si Xia.

kingdoms26a.jpg

Acosta

So one of my second year girls (14) is a huge Attack on Titan fan, and when I told her I dug it too, she kind of flipped. So for my birthday, she drew three quick freehand sketches for me.

Love my students.

Really great!, the second one is especially good. Lol, I couldn't draw like that in 100 years.

• The Laws of the Sun
This science makes me happy.

i5Jzh8o.png

This is like every History Channel pseudo-science documentary put together, and then turned into a religious propaganda film. I do have to say ... I'm sorta glad I watched it. Makes sense why its on THE LIST wahaha.

wDKO7Zl.png

If its purpose is to really convert people to Happy Science or understand its teachings then... I dunno, it really wasn't all that convincing. I didn't really learn anything about Happy Science other than name dropping some religious figures and then non-historical figures and trying to stand on THEIR teachings rather than have something that made it unique. And they spent a disproportionate amount of time on the segment with the Buddha. I guess to a Japanese audience, that would be the most relatable of the figures. Or maybe its just the more philosophical nature of Buddhism makes it harder to debate with, or something like that.

But yeah, I didn't really learn anything about Happy Science other than its just a conglomeration of all sorts of belief systems to make itself accessible to everybody (or something) and the Light of El Cantare lies within us and blablablah.

This movie was really damn long. Like holy shit. But at least the animation, music and voice acting were up to par!

They showed the title of this movie like 4 times. I guess they reaaally want you to buy the book. That's also probably the point of why I didn't learn anything about Happy Science from the movie, they want me to watch another movie and read another book to learn more. Hnnnngggg.

At least the Buddha vs. the Devil fight sequence was cool!
i041S3Y.png

I'd like to discuss with Corvo about some odd LDS parallels in this movie.

The Laws of the Sun receives a score of
1 Sword Art Onlines
or
1 Animated Bible Stories

Yeah, they say they pretty much delayed releasing it because they were hoping that a network would pick it up for "first run".

Other random news from the podcast - Neon Alley will get on demand programming at some point, and Viz's biggest selling discs are Lagrange, something called Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, and Vampire Knight. Blood Lad is doing well for them.

Tiger and bunny would have been a better fit than one piece for variety sake...big three power hour+ is dull for variety.

Nura is already a big seller with one bd/dvd? Vampire knight is still selling well? Need to watch.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Squid Girl S2 8

Okay, the last segment of this episode is kinda unsettling.

Squid Girl is basically worried about Sanae raping her while she can't fight back due to heatstroke. Creeeeepy.

Kazzy

Free! is looking like the 2nd best KyoAni show in the post K-On!! era.

I wasn't exactly enthralled by the likes of Chuunibyou and Tamako's Market, but even so, I think that's stretching it slightly. If it manages to hit the heights of the latter (however inconsistent), then I'll be pleasently surprised.

I'll keep watching, but It's been very mediocre so far.

If Hyouka wasn't your natural pick for top-spot, then I'm afraid we can no longer discuss this.

I wasn't exactly enthralled by the likes of Chuunibyou and Tamako's Market, but even so, I think that's stretching it slightly. If it manages to hit the heights of the latter (however inconsistent), then I'll be pleasently surprised.
I'll keep watching, but It's been very mediocre so far.
I didn't finish Tamako Market, but Free! has been much more entertaining through three episodes than the distilled insipidness that was Tamako market.

If Hyouka wasn't your natural pick for top-spot, then I'm afraid we can no longer discuss this.

It was, don't worry. Hyouka was my AOTY.

/XX/

It's all fluff until Oshii speaks.
Oshii won't speak unless he has something to criticize Miyazaki on.
Oh, sure he did... for a recent one of his MAMORU OSHII MAIL MAGAZINE blog posts:

押井守の「世界の半分を怒らせる」。第20号:押井守の「世界の半分を怒らせる」。:押井守の「世界の半分を怒らせる」。 - ニコニコチャンネル:社会・言論
http://ch.nicovideo.jp/oshimag/blomaga/ar276226

Access was restricted as a payment is necessary for the event, although always helpful @americopun linked to a transcription of the critique from 2ch (http://engawa.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/poverty/1372671527/).

I saw a second-hand translation of it on 4Chan's /a/ some days ago, I'll search for it now...

The post you linked to is the exact one I was thinking of for a reminder. The hint of NA-I-SU day. Hopefully you had a nice day to go along with all the congratulations posted here. :)
Of course, and in great part thanks to you, Nafe. :)

Oh yeah, I know you mention that someone doesn't have to respond every time someone gives out information to help another but thanks for your response a little while ago now to my post regarding the game series Wipeout and the company involved with that. I was going to thank you back at the time but didn't.
You're always welcome!

Kazzy

I didn't finish Tamako Market, but Free! has been much more entertaining through three episodes than the distilled insipidness that was Tamako market.

Eh, I enjoyed Tamako's Market, but the same criticism of that, is the very same one I'd leverage against Free! It's very workmanlike it is execution. It doesn't feel like it's making any glaring mistakes, yet by that same token, it's fully satisfied with repeating the same material.

These are shows which shouldn't be simply adhering to the formula we've seen in the likes of K-ON, because truth be told, it's always going to be an unfavorable comparison. Like Tomako Market, it feels like Free! Lacks a clear identity, and is simply plastering a shiny veneer over a framework, one that feels very tired.

Tamako Market I found to be particularly frustrating, because it showed glimmers of great promise, with there being a few standout moments. It just served to be make me more annoyed with it's shortcomings. I craved to see a KyoAni show that displayed that assurance.

I don't want slavish output, but maybe that's just me.

Eh, I enjoyed Tamako's Market, but the same criticism of that, is the very same one I'd leverage against Free! It's very workmanlike it is execution. It doesn't feel like it's making any glaring mistakes, yet by that same token, it's fully satisfied with repeating the same material.

These are shows which shouldn't be simply adhering to the formula we've seen in the likes of K-ON, because truth be told, it's always going to be an unfavorable comparison. Like Tomako Market, it feels like Free! Lacks a clear identity, and is simply plastering a shiny veneer over a framework, one that feels very tired.

Free! separates itself from Tamako Market in that it doesn't feel like aimless self-indulgence, there's an actual goal and it doesn't hurt that the comedy element is pretty effective. I don't think Free is aping K-On, other than the club thing they don't really feel all that similar. Workmanlike isn't all that far from how I feel about it, but that's enough to separate it from the highly flawed shows KyoAni has been putting out other than Hyouka.

fertygo

Identity and originality in entertainment are overrated.

Votoms 42

Chirico escape from 5 AT barefooted, stole one of them, and destroy them.. my god.
And Ru Shako is best nakama.

Shergal

/a/ - Animu & Mango » Thread #88814283
http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/88814283/#q88815383

I can't attest for the credibility and faithfulness of these extracts' translation, but it is something at least.

It seems quite interesting, but it's written more as a short analysis rather than giving his impressions of the movie. I don't want to read much detail about it without having seen the film proper, but from what little I glimpsed he seemed fairly surprised, and in a positive way even!

trejo

Tamako Market I found to be particularly frustrating, because it showed glimmers of great promise, with there being a few standout moments. It just served to be make me more annoyed with it's shortcomings. I craved to see a KyoAni show that displayed that assurance.

Free! feels nothing like K-On, though.

/XX/

It seems quite interesting, but it's written more as a short analysis rather than giving his impressions of the movie. I don't want to read much detail about it without having seen the film proper, but from what little I glimpsed he seemed fairly surprised, and in a positive way even!
Sorry, should have posted instead a direct link to some of the text with the proper impressions, and parts before that could be considered as light spoilers as well, so be careful (I'll put a warning in the post).

Shergal

Free! separates itself from Tamako Market in that it doesn't feel like aimless self-indulgence, there's an actual goal and it doesn't hurt that the comedy element is pretty effective. I don't think Free is aping K-On, other than the club thing they don't really feel all that similar. Workmanlike isn't all that far from how I feel about it, but that's enough to separate it from the highly flawed shows KyoAni has been putting out other than Hyouka.

I don't think it feels similar to K-On! either, at least not any more than one could say other Kyoani productions do.

So far, I don't think Free is a strong show, be it in premise or execution. The comedy element you say is pretty effective is lost on me, and the existence of an in-universe goal doesn't really change the tone of the episodes when I'm actually watching them.

If I had to compare, K-On! also felt like it hadn't come into its own 3 episodes into the first season, so I'm willing to give this one more time (also I'll watch anything Kyoani animates, I'm a sucker like that), but some hints at future developments I've seen, and the overall quality of the direction don't paint the most hopeful picture for the show.

E:
Sorry, should have posted instead a direct link to some of the text with the impressions, and parts before that could be considered as light spoilers as well, so be careful (I'll put a warning in the post).

Oshii said:
Even though what I said is not misleading, this is a great thing.

You mean this part? I read that, hence I thought he reacted to the movie rather positively.

I'm going to say that my anticipation for this one is rising, slowly but surely...

Kazzy

Free! feels nothing like K-On, though.

I know, but it deliberately evokes certain footnotes that would lead one to compare it, regardless. And therein lies the problem, it shouldn't remind you of certain aspects of other shows, particularly if doesn't execute them as well.

Free! doesn't have anything that is standout about it, nor does it do enough to carve out its own identity. As of episode 3, it hasn't done much to convince me otherwise. It's utterly mediocre.

Maybe hindsight will paint this in an amusing light, and I hope it does, but so far, I'm not exactly hopeful.

/XX/

You mean this part? I read that, hence I thought he reacted to the movie rather positively.

I'm going to say that my anticipation for this one is rising, slowly but surely...
I think that part refers more to him congratulating Mr. Miyazaki for tackling for once the concept of a simple young man as a protagonist without distorts or strange conditions, be on display without his "mask".

The part about Mr. Miyazaki finally being honest at this last stages of his life, and because of that appear without complexes as truly himself for canalizing his sexual desires through this protagonist, instead of trying to instruct others for once this late, is the general opinion from Mamoru Oshii I take from this piece. :-D

Naruto Shippuden Episode 321 – Reinforcements Arrive
BPc8d3fCcAA_Ia_.png

Only one complaint I have for the episode is they come off filler where the characters had already interacted with flashy biju mode naruto...and then in this episode they seemingly forgot they already fought side by side with him before over the filler :/ made the initial scene here seem awkward
and then the audacity to throw in that NaruHina moment, why :(

Madara looks like his attacks will be stunning next episode and the music, please deliver.

Shergal

I think that part refers more to him congratulating Mr. Miyazaki for tackling for once the concept of a simple young man as a protagonist without distorts or strange conditions, be on display without his "mask".

The part about Mr. Miyazaki being honest and himself for canalizing his sexual desires through this protagonist is the general opinion from Mamoru Oshii I take from this piece. :-D

Yeah, he seems like he was caught off-guard by some aspects of Kaze Tachinu, and that's something to praise.

If Miyazaki still managed to surprise at this point in his career, the film must be quite something.

/XX/

Yeah, he seems like he was caught off-guard by some aspects of Kaze Tachinu, and that's something to praise.

If Miyazaki still managed to surprise at this point in his career, the film must be quite something.
Yep. Him being this surprised by it seems already like an achievement for the film!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamayura MORE AGGRESSIVE 3
HDL06B6l.jpg

LET'S GO!

Go figure that the shy girl
meets another shy girl
. But now things are ready to get started. Time for some happy yet sad moments where our characters learn to be MORE AGGRESSIVE about their place in the world. Heck, perhaps drawing from his Phi Brain shounen skills, SatoJun even laid out a quest for our heroes to go on. lol

trejo

I know, but it deliberately evokes certain footnotes that would lead one to compare it, regardless. And therein lies the problem, it shouldn't remind you of certain aspects of other shows, particularly if doesn't execute them as well.

Free! doesn't have anything that is standout about it, nor does it do enough to carve out its own identity. As of episode 3, it hasn't done much to convince me otherwise. It's utterly mediocre.

Maybe hindsight will paint this in an amusing light, and I hope it does, but so far, I'm not exactly hopeful.

Looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree at this point, then, since I consider Free! to be a veritable breath of fresh air after all the crap in the KyoAni cesspool I've had to wade through in recent times. :)

But what a pretty cesspool it was!

wonzo

Banned
Tales of Titillation

Unbenanntsdfdsf.png

A morbid curiosity got me...how long does the history of Hentai go back? Well appearently the first Hentai ever was released in the mid 80's, and in the 80's they are about 10 or so.
They are very different from Hentai today. It's not straight fucking, and focus on the genital part. They are very very softcore, with a barebone presentation, and with story. Most of is implied (fruits exploding for ejucalation, cucumber goes into hole, psychedelic backgrounds for pleasure, sillhoutes for genitals). It's interresting to watch tough, seeing the 80's retro artstyle sexually depicted, it is just unusual.

Well this one are adapted stories from the manga artist "U-Jin", one of those h-manga artists who draw really...wierd kinky stories, and are very humorous.

The first OVA are 4 stories. The first being about little kids that fumble around a teenage girl's vagina with branches in the playpark, a perv that builds girl puppets sees this, and does the same pretending to be a kid.
The second story, is about a Pizza delivery guy who has to deliver a pizza to the top floor. The pizza has to be delivered in 30 minutes or it will be free. To combat this, the girls in the building throw themselfs in front of him, masturbating and being sexy. The guy get's all kinds of nosebleeds falls from stairs etc.
The third story is a godzilla like battle between a mahou shoujo girl and a perverted giant salarymen. The man jacks off to her with his toxic semen that damages tokyo. One highlight includes him fucking a building and killing people in the process, and other men jacking under the giant mahou shoujo's skirt
The fourth story is about some chinese girl who can get guys to get a errection with magic.

The second OVA has 2 stories about salarymen. One is about someone who accidently get's his cock sucked on the train when girls fall asleep and are behind the paper he is reading.
The 2nd story is about someone who get's tricked into buying a flower from a girl who get's him into a dark corner. For every match he can let hin fire to watch her pussy, he pays 10 dollars. He wastes his entire money, and burns his entire clothes when the matches run out.

The third OVA are 9 stories "describing the sexuality of Japan". Highlights include: a Tennis trainer who ties up one of the girls eyes and jacks of under her skirt, and a guy building a humanoid girl to save the world, however he get's turned too often by her and ends up having sex with her all the time. In the end he started to mass-producde these for man's pleasure.

Everything is presented with a comical style and heavily exaggarated, and as I said very very softcore, with only nipples being the most revealing thing. It's just hilarity with a very sexual punch.

It's one of the wierdest things I have ever seen and I'm suprised it hasn't hit ironic cult status.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot one story. It's about a giant muscular black man who boasts about being too muscular to be stitched by a needle by a doctor. The nurse uses her sexuality to change that...
Some screenshots of what I mentioned earlier:

NSFW
NSFW
NSFW
NSFW
*adds to list*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom