• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Tamayura ~hitotose~ 12 End

The anime really captured the relaxing and soothing atmosphere perfectly and nailed it down in such a way that it isn't boring to watch which I suppose is a huge accomplishment for a slice of life show that is conflicts-free. Really my only problem is involving any interactions between the girls and the adult characters because the moment that happens the fakeness and artificial happiness of the town becomes more apparent. The anime is at its best when it's focused solely on the main girls and their problems with a bit of :firehawk.

Time to get more AGGRESSIVE tomorrow.
Hell yeah, be sure to check out the 5.5 OVA just incase you missed that!

Gundam AGE 1

I watched it.

I don't know what I'm getting myself into right now but I watched it. The first episode was pretty standard Gundam storytelling: Innocent colony is show, gets attacked by outside threat, MC pilots Gundam, and the day is saved. There were actually some interesting deviations though. Flit comes in with prior knowledge of the Gundam and the atrocities of war, so he doesn't approach his inheritance reluctantly. And the enemy threat comes off as some alien force seeking to annihilate the human race rather than a military faction with its own ideals. It makes for a very black and white protag/antag dynamic, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. The thing about not having Flit start out as a normal kid is we don't get to see him when he's just being himself. Instead, all he thinks and talks about is the Gundam and the enemy. I guess that's why the moment that stood out the most for me was when he offered the Gundam to that other pilot rather than nominate himself. He's not obsessed with revenge or fighting, just doing the right thing. So there was nothing noticeably offensive about that episode and the OP/ED pair were both great, so I'm going to continue watching.

cajunator

Banned
hey now, they're gonna win sometime in the next decade or so
;_;

Saints fan here. Only took my team 44 years to reach glory lol.

C3-bu 3

I REALLY tried to like this episode, but doing that just made me realize that I just really don't care for the show. The small tournament was disappointing in pretty much all aspects. There weren't any engaging tactics or maneuvers like in say, Girls und Panzer nor were there any high stakes to keep me on my toes if they won or lost the matches. I also still think the characters are boring as sin whether they're voiced by Miyukichi or not. The only good thing about the episode was the finished ED that was pretty cute and still catchy. I think I can now super officially drop this show before I get disappointed one more time.

Also: Short hair Yura >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Long hair Yura

Short hair is almost always better. Senjou is the exception. Actually any girl with a hime cut needs beautiful long flowing hair.
aside from that, if even Miyukichi cant save the show for you then c3bu has some major issues.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
J-E-T-S JE

meh fuck it we suck.

Been catching up on MJP. I don't know if I hate this show or if I love this show but its definitely nowhere in between. I guess this is what its like to be duckroll :(

Short hair is almost always better. Senjou is the exception. Actually any girl with a hime cut needs beautiful long flowing hair.

I agree with this 100%

aside from that, if even Miyukichi cant save the show for you then c3bu has some major issues.

While C3-bu isn't as bad, the only other show in the same situation would be Yozakura Quartet. I sure hope that reboot or whatever is actually watchable.

7Th

fuNTd7S.jpg

GO FORTH, BRAVE SOLDIERS

Articalys

Watamote ep.2

Yep, still painful to watch. Of course, that means they're doing a stellar job with the show.

It's strange to see this much effort (well, relatively, at least) being put into the adaptation of a series like this.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=626846

yall know what to do (and what you shouldnt)
What I know is that this is an indication that I really should have tried to make that 7 years anniversary best anime of all time voting thread.
On the other hand EviLore's original thread for it was made on July 19 2007 so maybe that means waiting this long was for the best, if I hustle and make it tomorrow? Would that still be a good idea at this point, I wonder...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=626846

yall know what to do (and what you shouldnt)
These threads are always the worst. Most people are set on what they will or will not watch already. A cascade of recommendations that aren't particularly helpful or able to be sorted through fall on deaf ears. Conceptually the request is too broad to ever be truly meaningful, and tools for self discovery are abundant.

but i wish i was cool enough to just post a Natsuyasumi recommendation in there because the guy only loves action.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
C3-bu
Ub0ycJyl.jpg

What the heck is going on here?

qPHTa9Cl.jpg

Please don't do what every anime girl does when she wants to change...
Too late
. :p

I dunno, this all just feels so clumsy when compared to GooP. And it's not like GooP did anything necessarily special or unique, but it did the whole "down and out" arc in a much more natural and interesting manner. Even their first
loss
and subsequent
growth
arc was better handled than this episode of C3-bu.

If you're not going to do the sports stuff well and if you're not going to try to be realistic with the actual airsoft/paintball part of the show, then all you're left with is generic moe girls being moe... and I'm not even sure if the show does that in any way that makes it stand out against the four other all-girl shows this season.

It's kind of sad, because this show almost makes me want to watch Koko being loco again. Apparently something as simple as "soldiers with guns shooting at each other" is hard to do in anime. Go figure. lol

fuNTd7S.jpg

GO FORTH, BRAVE SOLDIERS

A smarter plan would be simply to refuse to buy any more Milky Holmes-related stuff until they finally figure out that what they actually should be doing is making more Milky Holmes like seasons 1 and 2. You know, when it was a good sketch comedy show about moe suffering...

And if that killed the franchise instead? Honestly, that'd probably be better than ruining it, as they're doing now, with Alternate and now this thing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
God damn, Milky Holmes fans are crazy.

A smarter plan would be simply to refuse to buy any more Milky Holmes-related stuff until they finally figure out that what they actually should be doing is making more Milky Holmes like seasons 1 and 2. You know, when it was a good sketch comedy show about moe suffering...
I was wondering what you would think!

zeroshiki

And if that killed the franchise instead? Honestly, that'd probably be better than ruining it, as they're doing now, with Alternate and now this thing.

You think Western Milky Holmes fans contributes in any meaningful way to the show's bottom line?!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well who else made the kickstarter a roaring success?
It's not like they weren't going to make it without the kickstarter.

Kick-heart is something that probably wouldn't exist without that funding though. But since it's not moe girls, of course it didn't raise as much money. lol

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's not like they weren't going to make it without the kickstarter.

Kick-heart is something that probably wouldn't exist without that funding though. But since it's not moe girls, of course it didn't raise as much money. lol

Right but the Kickstarter showed that a Western audience can contribute in a major way.

Also don't hate on moe girls!

What I know is that this is an indication that I really should have tried to make that 7 years anniversary best anime of all time voting thread.
On the other hand EviLore's original thread for it was made on July 19 2007 so maybe that means waiting this long was for the best, if I hustle and make it tomorrow? Would that still be a good idea at this point, I wonder...

I'd say go for it if you really want to. Could be interesting to see if any of the Top Ten would change considering GAF has way more people now than it did in 2007.

Gundam AGE 2

New girl Yurin's rockin' some
superhuman sensory abilities
. I guess she's part of this show's version of the
Newtypes
. The AGE System comes off as a Deus Ex Machina builder so I'm not sure I like that. The new beam rifle was pretty cool in action. I'm curious to see how the power struggle for command of the ship will play out from here.

CorvoSol

The Count of Monte Cristo 16

More Albert being stupid, as usual

Still fun seeing this house of cards crumble.

"I'm tired of every treating me like a clueless kid!" Well...you kinda are Albert, that's really painfully obvious

Okay, I wanna take this guitar acoustic guitar strum part in the soundtrack they play during dramatic moment and overlay it on a bunch of scenes, comedic and dramatic, from other shows. It's so fucking cheesy.

Is that the guitar that plays when the Count first meets Albert's folks? Oh well. All that matters is the other song.

Gundam AGE 1

I watched it.

I don't know what I'm getting myself into right now but I watched it. The first episode was pretty standard Gundam storytelling: Innocent colony is show, gets attacked by outside threat, MC pilots Gundam, and the day is saved. There were actually some interesting deviations though. Flit comes in with prior knowledge of the Gundam and the atrocities of war, so he doesn't approach his inheritance reluctantly. And the enemy threat comes off as some alien force seeking to annihilate the human race rather than a military faction with its own ideals. It makes for a very black and white protag/antag dynamic, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. The thing about not having Flit start out as a normal kid is we don't get to see him when he's just being himself. Instead, all he thinks and talks about is the Gundam and the enemy. I guess that's why the moment that stood out the most for me was when he offered the Gundam to that other pilot rather than nominate himself. He's not obsessed with revenge or fighting, just doing the right thing. So there was nothing noticeably offensive about that episode and the OP/ED pair were both great, so I'm going to continue watching.

HA
HA
HA
HA

Er, anyway, this is gonna sound hypocritical for me to say, but it isn't too late to turn back. It isn't too late at all. YOU CAN STILL SAVE YOURSELF.

Hattori

Banned
Lupin the Third Part I
Episode 3

This episode felt a bit mediocre than it should. The plot was poorly paced, and feels very incomplete overall.
I wanted to feel bad about Linda but there wasn't much of a connection since she got so little exposition or screentime.

Er, anyway, this is gonna sound hypocritical for me to say, but it isn't too late to turn back. It isn't too late at all. YOU CAN STILL SAVE YOURSELF.
I'm getting conflicting reports here. You're saying I can save myself by dropping the show right now, but these past two episodes have drilled into me that Flit's Gundam will be the "savior." Shouldn't I give myself unto the AGE System? And what about Jesus Yamato? Lord ha' mercy!

CorvoSol

I'm getting conflicting reports here. You're saying I can save myself by dropping the show right now, but these past two episodes have drilled into me that Flit's Gundam will be the "savior." Shouldn't I give myself unto the AGE System? And what about Jesus Yamato? Lord ha' mercy!

Flit's a savior in the same sense that having pneumonia will save you.

Jesus Yamato, on the other hand, is the real deal.

Narag

Gundam AGE 2

New girl Yurin's rockin' some
superhuman sensory abilities
. I guess she's part of this show's version of the
Newtypes
. The AGE System comes off as a Deus Ex Machina builder so I'm not sure I like that. The new beam rifle was pretty cool in action. I'm curious to see how the power struggle for command of the ship will play out from here.

AGE system ends up less deus ex machina machine and more a replacement for the technical side of a Gundam show. Automated arms race means more time to focus on characters/action for better or for worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom