• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Is that the guitar that plays when the Count first meets Albert's folks? Oh well. All that matters is the other song.

Its that like five strum motif played on the same chord on like a Spanish guitar. Its so corny. It could be used so fuck well on stuff for great effect.

Ojamajo Doremi # 40

Wow.

First of all, this is a direct continuation of the Doremi # Movie, so if you haven't seen that before this episode, do so.

In a show full of surprisingly down-to-earth and heartfelt moments and in a season that has been full of treatments on what parents pass onto their children--for better or worse--this episode managed to top them all. Despite all the magical hijinks that go on in this show, it never forgets the real issues that go on in people's lives, and that more than anything else is out of the expected demographic.

Ok then, back to watching Doremi for me after work.

But I said it before...
Ojamajo Doremi # - 40
you people watching Doremi get to this episode.

It's a really nice episode, I watched it before the movie and didn't have problems but I think it's obviously better to watch the movie before, I found more of these now on Mo~tto, like on episode 10 and some others bellow, but only on parts of the episodes.

=====================================================

Tamayura ~hitotose~ - 03

If Norie fawning over Kou wasn't enough now we have Komachi, who challenges her to see who can make the tastiest dessert with Kou acting as judge.Potte's grandmother helps Komachi realise the most important thing about cooking; thinking about making the person who will eat is smile. After Kou tries both Norie and Komachi's dishes, the contest is declared a tie.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 13
M5qp8kY.jpg

Total upgrade from the last MAHOdou bus, but it's a pain in the ass to build.

Again, thank you Oyajiide!
Hana-chan was so cute starting to talk.
Taking care of a child beats out being a chef on a ship,
if Doremi can pass the feelings of parents better than Koume's father
. And a little flashback with
Momo-chan mother
and the worries of the people who try and fail and the ones that fear they might fail and don't try.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 14

Whoa, whoa! Tamaki Reika just stepped on a mine no just with Momo-chan but with me too. I'm black!
I hope for her good, that Momo-chan friendship(?) help her change for the better...at least it was what I thought at the beginning of the episode...might be something that'll take more time,
or the writer will keep her an annoying ojou-sama so he can have an antagonist anytime he wants

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 15

...Right after dealing with Tamaki Reika's racism, we get this.
The little Urashima Tarou skit was funny.
Someone in the staff worked/wanted to work/went to work on Hamtaro.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 16

An entire episode dedicated to Onpu-chan.

Tamayura ~hitotose~ - 04

Maon is a girl of many dreams.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 17

Onee-chan that brings forth courage.
I'm not sure I'm ready for a mini Reika,
the Tamaki clan will never let the Harukaze in peace.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 18

Momo-chan struggles with japanese, I understand you Momo-chan I really do.
Onpu-chan gravure shots...I can't Japan....♫~We can do anything if we do it together~♪

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 19

Mayoshi and his father are always arguing because they have nothing better to do, so Doremi and the others put things right.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 20

This one was pretty nice too, about a classmate who doesn't go to school, but Doremi will not let things end this way...

iavi

Gintama Episode 10 – Eat Something Sour When You’re Tired

Pretty dull episode on a dog no one really cares about or even a character of interest that is still yet to do anything funny at all. Kagura cant possible have any fans. Sogo continues to bring the best laughs, the collar for Hijikata even and he had it on.

tumblr_m5uoyl5CGM1rtiapso1_400.gif

pls

Jex

Definitely give Spirited Away a watch, I have a soft spot in my heart for Howl's Moving Castle but it's generally considered to be on the lower side of the Ghibli spectrum.

With movies like The Cat Returns and Earthsea around it almost feels like Howls isn't really that bad by comparison.

But it still is.

cajunator

Banned
Watched Watamote again.
its an oddly captivating show.
in any other show, not-Yayoi would probably be best girl but Tomoko is simply god tier.
I love the show so much! And now I must get a couple hours of sleep.

Jex

Eva has some Ideon influences, with the god-like mysterious robot housing a soul inside it, and said robot preferring children, but at the same time, there are basic structural differences. The enemies in Ideon aren't a mystery at all, in spite of that being a big part of Eva. Ideon's protagonist and antagonists share a lot in format with Gundam - a lone ship in the territory of an enemy army, receiving little help from their allies.

Saying something like "Tokyo-3 is the solo ship!" is incridebly misleading, especially when closer set ups can be seen in other sources of inspiration for Eva, like freaking Mazinger. A lab hiding a secret underground that's targeted by monster attacks isn't some veiled reference to a space ship in enemy territory, it's a clear influence from the first Super Robot series. And that's just one thing. Eva takes things from tons of sources to the point that you can't point to any specific show before it and say that Eva felt the same.
Nah, I'm pretty sure ever is just a Zambot-3 clone.

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven ASStral Ocean 16

A CG car? A CG CAR?

Shit like this makes me just sit down and question like, everything.

This whole show is awful. The people who made it are awful. It's a hurtful show made by people who not only did not love the original, but also hated everyone who did.

SIGH.

Also
kind of a dick move for Ao to look and see if the girls from Goldilocks are okay but not, you know, the man who died because he was on that team.

Futari Wa Milky Holmes 1 - Well, there is a positive and a negative to this episode. On the positive side, going by the first episode, FwMH isn't on the same level of series-destroying disaster that Milky Holmes Alternative was. THAT thing was irredeemably terrible across the board, with the harem-protagonist guy in the show, the borderline-grimdark-serious plotline in episode two, etc. While unfortunately FwMH is also more focused on action than comedy, as in Alternative, it has a few redeeming qualities, at least, something not true about Alternative.

If Alternative hadn't existed, I would have been extremely disappointed by this episode. As it is though... well, it wasn't good, but it could have been a lot, lot worse. I see no sign of that guy in this episode, and let's hope that the plot stays silly as well. This better have no guy they're interested in, and no villains trying to
kill 90-something percent of people on Earth with a virus because he thinks that people don't fear the darkness enough.
So yeah, so far at least this new show isn't as bad as the last one.

But that's saying so, so little... and yes, FwMH is still very disappointing compared to the original two seasons of the show. Both of those seasons did have some weak episodes, season two particularly (I kind of disliked the first 3-5 episodes of S2, in fact... some not-that-funny episodes there, and abandoning S1's end in favor of a new bout of forgetfulness was annoying.), but at least they were about Milky Holmes!

In comparison, ep. 1 of this show was mostly about these two new girls, who really are quite average and uninteresting. This series is set in what has to be an alternate universe, maybe or maybe not the one from Alternate, where Milky Holmes still have their powers. Apparently though, the main characters now are these two boring new girls. How ... not nice. Who thought it was a good idea to put them in, and have them as the main characters in the first episode? I really hope that from ep. 2 the Milky Holmes girls are the leads again... but as they're in the front of the promo art, my hopes for that are quite low.

And on that note, the 12 minute length definitely doesn't help either. It's survivable, but short. Not much time for much. We meet our two uninteresting heroines, first. Then it establishes that this has been a period of peace, with the Phantom Thief Empire not showing up much. Then we see G4, and only Akechi is actually still patrolling, with some random new character; the other three are on desk duty. I wonder if we'll see much of them. It'd be too bad if they're mostly cut, they are amusing characters.

But of course, this show isn't really a comedy. It looks to be more about action. This may be the natural result of having them not lose their powers -- after all, most of the comedy centered around how tough the Milky Holmes girls found it when they were powerless -- but it was good comedy, and it worked great! Each of the first two seasons had a couple of episodes where they had full power, but while those episodes were often the highlights of the seasons, their impact was heightened by the powerlessness and suffering and comedy of the rest of the seasons. And anyway, the villains were quite silly and entertaining as well. Go look up my S2 ep. 11 post again, to be reminded on that point (54 images and all... :p). This first episode of FwMH, though, while it had some bits of comedy, clearly has a different tone from the original two series. It's not quite the same tone as Alternative either, but it's way too generic action anime in tone, way too little Milky Holmes comedy. There are some bits and pieces of comedy tossed in the episode here and there, but it's clealry not the focus, and that's really too bad. At the end of the episode we meet our villains. I assume fights between them and the heroes will be frequent. There was a short fight in this episode, as you'd expect. I do like Milky Holmes' entrance, on that note, but it took way, way too long to get to it... some shows have successfully done a delayed entrance like that, but this one does not succeed at it. Not even close.

Overall, I think it's too early to judge Futari wa Milky Holmes. This episode was disappointing, but not horrible. If the series keeps on this tone this will be a bland, below-average, but watchable action series with some bits of comedy and drama. Forgettable stuff, unfortunately. I hope it'll turn out to be something better than that, like how season 2 of Milky Holmes improved so drastically in the second half of the season, but given the shift of focus this episode suggests, I'm not expecting it. But who knows, it's too early to say for sure how this will go.

So yeah, at least we had Alternative first, to lower our expectations for future Milky Holmes animes... :(

God damn, Milky Holmes fans are crazy.
I'm only surprised that it's now; I mean, the Milky Holmes Alternative OVAs were exponentially worse than this thing, where was the outrage then?

I was wondering what you would think!
It's watchable but average, disappointing, and pale in comparison to either of the first two seasons.

You think Western Milky Holmes fans contributes in any meaningful way to the show's bottom line?!

You never know... but hopefully Japanese fans think similarly. Who knows on that point.

Futari wa mily holmes - 01

I like that

The previous milky holmes animes didn't work with me. But this approch, more closer to the original concept of the games is MUCH MUCH more intresting.

I'd watch that.

The 2 new leads are intresting .. they didn't waste time showing how close they are and they seems capable. Another good point is that they are close so i can ship them together starting for now on.

Finally the milky holmes i was looking forward to see :)
Basically almost the exact opposite of everything you say is true. And I only said "almost" because of the existence of Alternative. Otherwise I don't think I could possibly disagree more.

Futari wa Milky Holmes 01

http://i.imgur.com/jOp0dFll.jpg

So it looks like they took away all the comedy, all the nonsense, all the useless Milky Holmes, pretty much everything that was great from the first two seasons and gave us two girls walking around eating crepes for 10 minutes.

I guess this is gonna be srs now, with fighting, Milky Holmes being useful, something something. I mean it could be good if they focus on that. But instead I just assume they'll just spend most of the episodes having the two girls eat crepes before fighting one of the villains at the end of the episode just to remind us they exist.
Well, this episode didn't sound quite as serious business as Alternative, but who knows, it could go in that direction. That'd probably be less surprising than if it went in a comedy/Milky Holmes direction, sadly. It's really unfortunate that whoever makes the Milky Holmes animes has forgotten everything about what made the franchise good, but they clearly have. Almost tragic really; Milky Holmes was a great comedy series for the first two seasons. :(

zeroshiki

Hey, our petition is why Trigger is making more LWA! Kotaku said so!

Milky Holmes is not really comparable to LWA especially since Milky Holmes has not even seen a Western release. The production committee seriously makes little to no money off of the West outside of streaming and the odd importer. 4chan boycotting Milky Holmes makes no difference unless they really do off themselves and it gets into the news, I guess.

Narag

Top 7 posters on the wall of shame account for over 25% of the activity in here. I'm even more ashamed to be on that list when I don't watch anime.

Milky Holmes is not really comparable to LWA especially since Milky Holmes has not even seen a Western release. The production committee seriously makes little to no money off of the West outside of streaming and the odd importer. 4chan boycotting Milky Holmes makes no difference unless they really do off themselves and it gets into the news, I guess.

I've this morbid curiosity to see what the news coverage would actually entail.

zeroshiki

Top 7 posters on the wall of shame account for over 25% of the activity in here. I'm even more ashamed to be on that list when I don't watch anime.

I've this morbid curiosity to see what the news coverage would actually entail.

Top page of the Darwin Awards for sure!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamayura ~hitotose~ - 03

If Norie fawning over Kou wasn't enough now we have Komachi, who challenges her to see who can make the tastiest dessert with Kou acting as judge.Potte's grandmother helps Komachi realise the most important thing about cooking; thinking about making the person who will eat is smile. After Kou tries both Norie and Komachi's dishes, the contest is declared a tie.

Please keep watching!

25% of the shame

Sailor Moon 19

Awkward issues and downtime for servers ended up making this the only one to be watched tonight.

Apparently we're dealing with love beyond a gap of age, it's pretty weird seeing this honestly. Makes sense as to why their ages were buffed up in the American release (on top of skirts)

Anyway we actually see Tuxedo Mask transforming, so we know who it is (as if we didn't already know). Nephrite is apparently dumb, OF COURSE A RED HEAD ISN'T SAILOR MOON, SHE ISN"T BLONDE! Although Naru recognizes him in his Tuxedo Mask get up. Says more about her than Usagi.

Anyway, I realized that the mansion in the forest that Nephrite resides in reminds me of that house that the Dark Zone villians resided at in Max Heart.

CorvoSol

Can it come full circle when Kotaku asks if watching certain anime make you a furry?

The Devil is a Part Timer 7

Lunch boxes are serious business. Also I'm sorta confused why Maou gets cloven hooves sometimes, but not always. There's also a lot of comedic misunderstandings/dramatic irony going on in this show. Kinda crazy that Emerada's phone works across dimensions but then again magic. I sort of get the feeling that no one is leaving Japan any time soon since they all sort of seem content with it.

I still hope we get a bit more explanation on why Maou did what he did, since it's sort of unfair to Emi if we don't. She comes off as a crazy bitch and he comes off as a chill, laid back dude, except that
he killed her father and ruined her life
so she has good reason be as pissed as she is.

Got a good laugh out of Maou begging new girl not to show him the Miki T photo again.

fertygo

Votoms END

What a ride.. I have not too much word because the post on Pelleas sum up my feeling really well.

I don't like the Kummen arc the most though. For me the 2nd half is the best Votoms outing.
Will check the OVAs and Mellowlink in near future.

• Gurren Lagann 01-02 Roommate Impressions
"Can we please change this to English"
"Why is that guy yelling all the time?"
"YOKO'S BOOBS"
"Gay guy. Turn it off, turn it off."
"That was pretty cool. But how did that guy dodge all the bullets?"
"I think I'm going to head to bed now."

Gundam AGE 3

Yurin's
Newtype-esque abilities
were out in full force, complete with Flit having those 'PING!' moments during the fight where he's able to
predict the enemy's movements
. The way the core of the colony was moved out of the structure so quickly by that comparatively tiny ship was a little jarring, but whatevs. Fights were cool and Yurin was cool. Also, was the white haired dude coming out of cryo-sleep at the end kemonomimi? Where are you taking me, Gundam?

Top page of the Darwin Awards for sure!

Suicide does not count in the Darwin Awards, as it shouldn't. It's a terrible thing that shouldn't be joked about.

Though, I kind of feel that way about the Darwin Awards in general. Making fun of death like that is pretty fucked up IMO, regardless of the cause.

CorvoSol

It's true. I used to be a normal person before anime.

I YEWSED TO BE A REGLUR TOONWACHUR TILL I TOOK N ANIMU TO THE NEE-SAMA.

• Gurren Lagann 01-02 Roommate Impressions
"Can we please change this to English"
"Why is that guy yelling all the time?"
"YOKO'S BOOBS"

"Gay guy. Turn it off, turn it off."
"That was pretty cool. But how did that guy dodge all the bullets?"
"I think I'm going to head to bed now."

Yoko's Boobs are always a hit. ALWAYS. Also why are you making them watch it in Japanese? You know these people are sacrificing just to watch anime, let alone in Japanese.

Gundam AGE 3

Yurin's
Newtype-esque abilities
were out in full force, complete with Flit having those 'PING!' moments during the fight where he's able to
predict the enemy's movements
. The way the core of the colony was moved out of the structure so quickly by that comparatively tiny ship was a little jarring, but whatevs. Fights were cool and Yurin was cool. Also, was the white haired dude coming out of cryo-sleep at the end kemonomimi? Where are you taking me, Gundam?

For a darling little jaunt through the looking glass.

MEGA MAN SINS 7

Zero doesn't want to play poker! Zero gets date raped! Nobody dies!
Except for hopes and dreams!

In all seriousness, though, this was definitely a bit darker than the last episode. Mostly because it was obvious this woman was walking a fine line between crazy and sane and the bell was all she had left, and then we see that the toads down below are not okay with that at all.

zeroshiki

Suicide does not count in the Darwin Awards, as it shouldn't. It's a terrible thing that shouldn't be joked about.

Though, I kind of feel that way about the Darwin Awards in general. Making fun of death like that is pretty fucked up IMO, regardless of the cause.

... You're taking this seriously?

Killing yourself because an anime character changed hats definitely should qualify for some kind of award in stupidity.

Yoko's Boobs are always a hit. ALWAYS. Also why are you making them watch it in Japanese? You know these people are sacrificing just to watch anime, let alone in Japanese.

It's my second to last night in Rexburg, I'm LIVING IT UP

Tomorrow I'm going to leave Sword Art Online playing on Crunchyroll on playlist for them to see wahahahaha.

duckroll

http://www.negadesignworks.com/mint/mint_pressrelease.pdf

Looks like Meguro didn't compose SMT4 because he was too busy composing for weird shit instead. A new live action + animation movie was just announced - Mint. It's about a boy with an incurable illness who meets a girl on a social networking platform. The film is directed by Shutaro Oku who directed USB, and also the Visualive Persona 4 stage production. The animation parts will be done by Production IG under the supervision of Kazuchika Kisa as the animation director. Shoji Meguro is composing the soundtrack, and the script is written by Jun Kumagai who worked on the Persona 4 anime and is also writing the upcoming Persona 3 movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom