• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westlo

There's no reason to be petty.

Inspired by is fine, but I find it hard to believe people watched Rah Xephon and didn't see that there was at the very least a copious amount of things in that show that were "inspired" by Evangelion.

lmao

No one is arguing that, just like it's clear as day that Eva was inspired by Ideon (you know the entire instrumentality thing which is pretty big yeah) and Gunbuster (yes same staff and studio, still applies) and others. (or what do you think it invented monster of the week or something?)

If you can't see the difference between inspired and "LOL THIS IS A FUCKING RIPOFF LOL" than fuck me. But clearly you do since you've changed tune quickly in about 5 posts time.

And Eva was far from the only show that inspired RahXephon.

Homophobe is one of the roommates I had last semester. He told me this story about how he punched a guy in his High School for kissing another guy, and, when I expressed my horror, he said "I call it reverse psychology." To which I remarked, "That's called a hate crime."

Ick. The worst is when they deny they're homophobic or racist or whatever.

Dude is clearly jerking it to Hugh Jackman.

Also, you should watch Utena.

tumblr_mh7lg1vJgU1qejma3o1_500.gif

You mean just me or with my roommates? --probably too late for that second one now lol

CorvoSol

It's like when Black Americans were encouraged to be equal citizens by Jim Crow and the KKK.

Atrocious is as atrocious does, I guess.

lmao

No one is arguing that, just like it's clear as day that Eva was inspired by Ideon (you know the entire instrumentality thing which is pretty big yeah) and Gunbuster (yes same staff and studio, still applies) and others. (or what do you think it invented monster of the week or something?)

If you can't see the difference between inspired and "LOL THIS IS A FUCKING RIPOFF LOL" than fuck me. But clearly you do since you've changed tune quickly in about 5 posts time.

And Eva was far from the only show that inspired RahXephon.

I do see the difference, and I still insist that Rah Xephon is the latter and not the former. I'm not sure what I've changed tune on, either. There's an obvious difference between sharing similar themes or being influenced or inspired by something and what Rah Xephon does with Evangelion. And Rah Xephon is definitely ripping Eva off.

I'm not really sure what to say at this point, because everything I do say you don't seem to quite get. For example, when I say "There are multiple Dolems in RX that are exactly the same enemy as in NGE" you seem to think I'm saying Eva invented monsters of the week or has a patent on them. Which is fairly obviously not what I'm saying, and only serves to distract from my point rather than address it.

Nettling remarks about my use of capitalization for the sake of emphasis aren't, I suppose, without basis given my recent behavior, but they're likewise fairly unnecessary and somewhat inflammatory, considering my dislike is for the show, and not for you. I think Rah Xephon is shit. I don't think you are. I barely know you. All such a remark does is distract us from the argument we were having: Is Rah Xephon ripping off Evangelion or not?

Likewise the appeal to mass popularity is a baffling, irrelevant step in this conversation. It doesn't matter if an unprovable, indemonstrable number of persons prefer Rah Xephon to Eureka Seven. Popularity has never been a good indicator of quality, and even that discussion is removed from whether or not Rah Xephon is riding on EVA's tail coats.

My argument is simple, and easy enough for people to understand: Rah Xephon spends entirely too much of its time ripping off Evangelion, to the point where whatever original material I did see in those fifteen episodes was strangled to death by the show's bizarre need to recreate EVA for its own purposes. The step inside the enemy's fantasy land is only one such case. Ayato works for TERRA, which is based out of a white pyramid, with a woman who wears black with a red jacket and has purple hair, etcetera. Any one of these elements alone obviously isn't enough to say "This is a rip off of Evangelion" but the sheer number of them piles up as the show goes on, to the point where it could no longer be denied.

Ick. The worst is when they deny they're homophobic or racist or whatever.

Oh yes, I definitely loved hearing "I'm not homophobic. Homophobia is the fear of gay people and I'm not afraid of them. I just do not like them."

Wouldn't it being reverse psychology mean that he punched the dude because he wanted to be kissed?

My other roommate and I did not miss the opportunity to delight ourselves in such jokes.

So you just have to look like Michael J Fox in his prime. Easy.

anime_girls_from_the_future_by_guutropicana-d67urxu.jpg

No, you just need the car.

Oh yes, I definitely loved hearing "I'm not homophobic. Homophobia is the fear of gay people and I'm not afraid of them. I just do not like them."

• Castle In The Sky Roommate Impressions from the beginning of the semester
"I'm not racist!" "So why is everyone speaking ting tong ling wong in this show you're watching"

I wouldn't blame the State of Idaho, but I've seen one or four people with Confederate flags flying from their cars/hanging in their apartments/stickered on their laptops.

My roommate wears a shirt to class that says "9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB"

Even funnier than that is the reactions he gets walking on campus, wahaha.

CorvoSol

My roommate wears a shirt to class that says "9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB"

Even funnier than that is the reactions he gets walking on campus, wahaha.

Please tell me he isn't a Poli Sci student.

Megas XLR 102

So this isn't even an anime, but Felix Orion requested I post impressions here, so I will until someone request that I not. The fights are a hoot in this show, so far, and while the animation definitely reminds me of last decade's style (it looks so much like a recent TMNT show to me), there are some shots, particularly of Kiva's face, in these early episodes that look kinda goofy, and I'm hoping that gets cleaned up as the series goes on.

This particular episode focused on Coop, Jaimie and Kiva fighting a guy who is basically Elvis and MODOK fused into one. The episode's best part comes at the end, when
They go to the food court/planet of the Amazons.
What I like most is that, while Coop and Jamie are losers, Coop is still portrayed as more competent than Kiva at times, and moreover, neither of them seems overly concerned with putting the moves on Kiva. Like, I dunno, its just kinda nice that they're so ambivalent regarding her.

cnet128

Banned
The actual lay out is like so:

Eureka > Ray > Hilda > Talho > Anemone > Sakuya > Gidget > All the guys including Hap and Woz > those crazy fucking fish things > That crusty old sage of indeterminate gender > that mashed up dude's arm > Anyone else I've forgotten > Mayter > Linck and what's his name.

I'm pretty sure the actual layout goes:

Eureka > Anemone = Gidget > Maeter > Sakuya > Talho > other female characters who did not even properly register with me

...and the sad thing is, I think I like Fleur, Elena, Chloe, and possibly even Naru more than most if not all of those girls. AO had such good waifus, it's the main reason I can't just write off the show completely. Kind of like how Suou saves Darker than Black S2.

Stella C3-Bu ep.3

Also also, the coloring in this shot from the ED makes Sonora look more like Kanbaru than she already is, voice and all.

Huh, I never made the Sonora/Kanbaru connection. Even though I'm actually reading Kanbaru's arc in the Bakemonogatari novel right now. They do have certain similarities, don't they?

fuNTd7S.jpg

GO FORTH, BRAVE SOLDIERS

Seems like a worthy cause.

Futari Wa Milky Holmes 1 - Well, there is a positive and a negative to this episode. On the positive side, going by the first episode, FwMH isn't on the same level of series-destroying disaster that Milky Holmes Alternative was. THAT thing was irredeemably terrible across the board, with the harem-protagonist guy in the show, the borderline-grimdark-serious plotline in episode two, etc. While unfortunately FwMH is also more focused on action than comedy, as in Alternative, it has a few redeeming qualities, at least, something not true about Alternative.

This is making me kind of maybe wish I watched Alternative, so that I could have actual opinions about it. I suspect I wouldn't hate it as much as you do, since I played and enjoyed the first Milky Holmes PSP game, and I'm guessing Alternative is along the same lines as that. That said, I do think the anime had its own thing going that was more fun than the games, and the two mediums should probably have stuck to their own styles (though I admit I wouldn't complain if the Milky Holmes girls actually got to hang on to their abilities in the anime for once =p)

This better have no guy they're interested in, and no villains trying to
kill 90-something percent of people on Earth with a virus because he thinks that people don't fear the darkness enough.

I dunno, that still kind of sounds better than a villain trying to
cover the whole world in lard
. God, that scenario from Milky Holmes S2 was borderline traumatic in its sheer gross-out factor XD

Apparently though, the main characters now are these two boring new girls. How ... not nice. Who thought it was a good idea to put them in, and have them as the main characters in the first episode? I really hope that from ep. 2 the Milky Holmes girls are the leads again... but as they're in the front of the promo art, my hopes for that are quite low.

Yeah, these two newcomers should really just get out. They're clearly inferior to the real Milky Holmes girls in every way. I also blame them for somehow making the OP suck compared to the first two series', even though I'm not sure if they're actually singing in it or not.

Overall, I think it's too early to judge Futari wa Milky Holmes. This episode was disappointing, but not horrible. If the series keeps on this tone this will be a bland, below-average, but watchable action series with some bits of comedy and drama. Forgettable stuff, unfortunately. I hope it'll turn out to be something better than that, like how season 2 of Milky Holmes improved so drastically in the second half of the season, but given the shift of focus this episode suggests, I'm not expecting it. But who knows, it's too early to say for sure how this will go.

I agree with all of the things that you just said. I still have some kind of vain hope that this series won't be disappointingly average, but all the signs are pointing that way.

It's weird, because if anything, the shorter episode format would have made more sense with a cute gag-based series than the more action-y tone they seem to be going for.

Also I'm sorta confused why Maou gets cloven hooves sometimes, but not always.

I honestly have no idea what this cloven hooves thing you keep mentioning is about. I don't recall seeing anything like that in the series. Pics for reference?

... You're taking this seriously?

Killing yourself because an anime character changed hats definitely should qualify for some kind of award in stupidity.

I don't think the hats are the important part here somehow... (Though they are rather out of place in this series.)

...Not that I'm implying the Milky Holmes suicide pact should be taken seriously =p

http://www.negadesignworks.com/mint/mint_pressrelease.pdf

Looks like Meguro didn't compose SMT4 because he was too busy composing for weird shit instead. A new live action + animation movie was just announced - Mint. It's about a boy with an incurable illness who meets a girl on a social networking platform. The film is directed by Shutaro Oku who directed USB, and also the Visualive Persona 4 stage production. The animation parts will be done by Production IG under the supervision of Kazuchika Kisa as the animation director. Shoji Meguro is composing the soundtrack, and the script is written by Jun Kumagai who worked on the Persona 4 anime and is also writing the upcoming Persona 3 movies.

Hm, this looks like it could be pretty interesting.

(But Meguro should be working on Persona 5 ò_ó)

• Gurren Lagann 01-02 Roommate Impressions
"Can we please change this to English"

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage.

"Gay guy. Turn it off, turn it off."

Rage rage rage rage rage.

"I think I'm going to head to bed now."

Rage.

• Gurren Lagann 03 Roommate Impressions
Roommate walks in
PAST CURFEW MIND YOU
"Hey what are you watch--"
"I'm going to bed"

Did I mention rage?

Me: "Oh come on. I put up with Les Miserables earlier today for the nth time."

...Rage. =/

CorvoSol

I'm pretty sure the actual layout goes:

Eureka > Anemone = Gidget > Maeter > Sakuya > Talho > other female characters who did not even properly register with me

...and the sad thing is, I think I like Fleur, Elena, Chloe, and possibly even Naru more than most if not all of those girls. AO had such good waifus, it's the main reason I can't just write off the show completely. Kind of like how Suou saves Darker than Black S2.

I honestly have no idea what this cloven hooves thing you keep mentioning is about. I don't recall seeing anything like that in the series. Pics for reference?

1. How you gonna put Mayter above Talho. Talho, man. TALHO.

2. I'll give you Elena, and Chloe is less waifu than :cajun, and Fleur is a matter of taste, I guess, but Naru? Nuh uh. Naru WAS a good waifu until she wound up with the worst thing to ever happen to the series.

3. I don't have a picture on hand, but when Maou
regained his powers under the mall and during the overpass incident, his legs turn into goat legs with fur and hooves, in spite of his Dark Lord form having regular human feet.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sailor Moon 19

Anyway we actually see Tuxedo Mask transforming, so we know who it is (as if we didn't already know). Nephrite is apparently dumb, OF COURSE A RED HEAD ISN'T SAILOR MOON, SHE ISN"T BLONDE! Although Naru recognizes him in his Tuxedo Mask get up. Says more about her than Usagi.
The way I've always rationalised that is that their outfits have a perception filter or something.

CorvoSol

The way I've always rationalised that is that their outfits have a perception filter or something.

I'll just never understand how Sailor Moon didn't know that Tuxedo Mask and the Moonlight Knight are the same guy. I mean the Moonlight Knight even had the exact same rose schtick.

Theonik

Sort of spoilers but not, I dunno, look at your own risk:
If something is getting better for Renton, it will also get worse for Renton. His life only goes up so it can go further down.
Can't catch a break can he.

OH JOY! CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THOSE WOLFRUN DOUJINS CAN WE!?

pls stop uploaders
image.php

You know you like it!

I don't get why Wolfrun is so popular though. Is it because he was the first one to appear in Smile?
Furies.

In the manga everyone except for Usagi has figured it out long before she even caught suspensions.
The whole Mars x Mamoru is also made up by the anime.

I'll just never understand how Sailor Moon didn't know that Tuxedo Mask and the Moonlight Knight are the same guy. I mean the Moonlight Knight even had the exact same rose schtick.
Usagi isn't very bright.

cnet128

Banned
1. How you gonna put Mayter above Talho. Talho, man. TALHO.

Eh. Talho just isn't cute. She and Holland make a nice couple, but I wouldn't hit that.

2. I'll give you Elena, and Chloe is less waifu than :cajun, and Fleur is a matter of taste, I guess, but Naru? Nuh uh. Naru WAS a good waifu until she wound up with the worst thing to ever happen to the series.

Yeah, Naru went massively downhill over the course of the series, but she's still pretty cute so I can't write her off completely. And she was great at the beginning.

3. I don't have a picture on hand, but when Maou
regained his powers under the mall and during the overpass incident, his legs turn into goat legs with fur and hooves, in spite of his Dark Lord form having regular human feet.

Hm, I guess you're right, he does seem to have freaky legs when he transforms back into his demonic form. Where did you see his Dark Lord form having regular human feet, though? I've had a quick look, but it's hard to find a decent shot from the anime where you can actually see his feet, let alone make out what they look like. In this character design image it looks like he has the cloven hooves in his full Dark Lord armoured form, though.

CorvoSol

Eh. Talho just isn't cute. She and Holland make a nice couple, but I wouldn't hit that.

Miniskirt Talho with the long hair was hot. Jumpsuit Talho with the short hair not so much.

Yeah, Naru went massively downhill over the course of the series, but she's still pretty cute so I can't write her off completely. And she was great at the beginning.

Her character design's kinda been completely changed, though. She was a cute girl in shorts and a t with an inhaler. Now she's like, Lalah Soon with horns.

Hm, I guess you're right, he does seem to have freaky legs when he transforms back into his demonic form. Where did you see his Dark Lord form having regular human feet, though? I've had a quick look, but it's hard to find a decent shot from the anime where you can actually see his feet, let alone make out what they look like. In this character design image it looks like he has the cloven hooves in his full Dark Lord armoured form, though.

The OP makes it look like he has human feet, but I can't rule out that he may just be in his human form with his demon clothes on.

cnet128

Banned
The OP makes it look like he has human feet, but I can't rule out that he may just be in his human form with his demon clothes on.

Ah right, that shot at the beginning of the OP. Didn't think of that one.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's supposed to be going on there. Could be a weird cross between his human and demon forms. Could be that his hooves are just suspiciously foot-shaped (since most of the time we only seem to see them from the front). Could just be an oversight. I dunno.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Because the Moonlight Knight was seen with Mamoru as two different people?

Westlo

I do see the difference, and I still insist that Rah Xephon is the latter and not the former. I'm not sure what I've changed tune on, either. There's an obvious difference between sharing similar themes or being influenced or inspired by something and what Rah Xephon does with Evangelion. And Rah Xephon is definitely ripping Eva off.

You've gone from it's a ripoff, to it's inspired by to it's a ripoff again, you're wording it to suit yourself. And yes RahXephon is a ripoff off Evangelion, but that's alright since Eva is a ripoff of Ideon.

I'm not really sure what to say at this point, because everything I do say you don't seem to quite get. For example, when I say "There are multiple Dolems in RX that are exactly the same enemy as in NGE" you seem to think I'm saying Eva invented monsters of the week or has a patent on them. Which is fairly obviously not what I'm saying, and only serves to distract from my point rather than address it.

Apart from the mindfuck dolem (not exactly a mindbogglingly new concept) what else is an exact copy?

My argument is simple, and easy enough for people to understand: Rah Xephon spends entirely too much of its time ripping off Evangelion, to the point where whatever original material I did see in those fifteen episodes was strangled to death by the show's bizarre need to recreate EVA for its own purposes.

It's in the same genre but with entirely different dominating themes, if you want to focus on superficial stuff though be my guest.

The step inside the enemy's fantasy land is only one such case. Ayato works for TERRA, which is based out of a white pyramid, with a woman who wears black with a red jacket and has purple hair, etcetera. Any one of these elements alone obviously isn't enough to say "This is a rip off of Evangelion" but the sheer number of them piles up as the show goes on, to the point where it could no longer be denied.

Anyone can list things and make it seem like that, Haruka's hair color is black btw unless I'm color blind and if her character design/outfit even makes you think of Misato, smh.

Anyway I'll have to RahXephon's someone's post from a long time ago but feel free to answer it.

School age child who has tragically lost a parent at a young age and still deals with that trauma. Strives to find a purpose in live and strives to be noticed by others. Is chosen for no apparent reason to pilot a giant mecha that the future of the human race depends on against a mysterious enemy that wants to destroy all human life. Reluctantly pilots only because they don't know any other choice in life. Suffer a complete breakdown, quits the mecha and refuse to pilot, only to return when friends and loved ones are in danger. Who am I talking about?

School age girl, red hair, who is a certified genius. A master of tactics and battle. A foreigner who is quite proud of their heritage. Intensely competitive, going so far as to attempt to upstage everyone around her. Loud and opinionated, she is ruthless in battle as demonstrated by one scene in which she dives into the depths of a superheated environment, ignoring the fact her mecha is slowly being crushed she presses forward to complete the mission. Who am I talking about?

Wears glasses, is obsessed with defeating his enemy, no matter the cost. Is always under control, yet a man of few words. Chooses a pilot for the special mecha that no one agrees with nor can understand. Has an agenda to get the reluctant pilot ready for the coming battle. Is forced to confront said mecha pilot when their confidence and self worth are at an all time low. Tells them they must chose to either fight, or die. A cold person who outwardly projects nothing but indifference toward all, but inside beats the heart of a passionate man who will pull whatever strings needed to accomplish his goals. Who am I talking about?

CorvoSol

You've gone from it's a ripoff, to it's inspired by to it's a ripoff again, you're wording it to suit yourself. And yes RahXephon is a ripoff off Evangelion, but that's alright since Eva is a ripoff of Ideon.

The latter, that EVA is a ripoff of Ideon is a red herring with no bearing on this discussion. You can dismiss that Rah Xephon is a rip off of EVA with it if you want, but it really isn't germane. The former point, that I'm somehow flip-flopping around, is perhaps a misunderstanding on your part caused by a poor choice of words on mine, so allow me to be clear: I think Rah Xephon is a rip off, and not just inspired by, Evangelion. I think that is detrimental to Rah Xephon's overall quality. You can be inspired by something, as I've said before, and even share thematic elements and ideas, and not be ripping it off if you do it in a way that recombines these elements to feel fresh, which I argue Rah Xephon does not do.

Apart from the mindfuck dolem (not exactly a mindbogglingly new concept) what else is an exact copy?

I outlined a few below which you addressed, so I'm going to skip the listing unless really necessary. It isn't just that the dolem mindfucks, it shares more characteristics than just that. Ayato sinks into its shadow, and it forms a globe from which the Rah Xephon bursts. It's pretty hard to deny that it does more than just mindfuck.

It's in the same genre but with entirely different dominating themes, if you want to focus on superficial stuff though be my guest.

I'd argue that the themes aren't germane to my point, though, and that I've already stated that what the show does do in terms of originality is choked by its incessant need to copy Evangelion.

Anyone can list things and make it seem like that, Haruka's hair color is black btw unless I'm color blind and if her character design/outfit even makes you think of Misato, smh.

Well sure, some things on their own would just be that, but there are a good deal of things that add up. Haruka's hair is black in some shots, I guess, but a quick google search shows it as purple as I remember. She's got the red jacket on black clothes, which, combined with the hair makes her look plenty like Misato.

Anyway I'll have to RahXephon's someone's post from a long time ago but feel free to answer it.

Is the point of this that it is supposed to be someone other than Shinji and Ayato? Or something? I don't really see what you're trying to say here.

cajunator

Banned
25% of the shame

Sailor Moon 19

Awkward issues and downtime for servers ended up making this the only one to be watched tonight.

Apparently we're dealing with love beyond a gap of age, it's pretty weird seeing this honestly. Makes sense as to why their ages were buffed up in the American release (on top of skirts)

Anyway we actually see Tuxedo Mask transforming, so we know who it is (as if we didn't already know). Nephrite is apparently dumb, OF COURSE A RED HEAD ISN'T SAILOR MOON, SHE ISN"T BLONDE! Although Naru recognizes him in his Tuxedo Mask get up. Says more about her than Usagi.

Anyway, I realized that the mansion in the forest that Nephrite resides in reminds me of that house that the Dark Zone villians resided at in Max Heart.

Shame? I don't understand.

• Gurren Lagann 01-02 Roommate Impressions
"Can we please change this to English"
"Why is that guy yelling all the time?"
"YOKO'S BOOBS"
"Gay guy. Turn it off, turn it off."
"That was pretty cool. But how did that guy dodge all the bullets?"
"I think I'm going to head to bed now."

Your roommates are defective. Acquire new ones.

fertygo

I do see the difference, and I still insist that Rah Xephon is the latter and not the former
My argument is simple, and easy enough for people to understand: Rah Xephon spends entirely too much of its time ripping off Evangelion, to the point where whatever original material I did see in those fifteen episodes was strangled to death by the show's bizarre need to recreate EVA for its own purposes. The step inside the enemy's fantasy land is only one such case. Ayato works for TERRA, which is based out of a white pyramid, with a woman who wears black with a red jacket and has purple hair, etcetera. Any one of these elements alone obviously isn't enough to say "This is a rip off of Evangelion" but the sheer number of them piles up as the show goes on, to the point where it could no longer be denied.

Oh please some of these is cosmetic, Security organization like TERRA and NERV are from frigging Ultraman.. Countless anime have it before and post eva. Even Macross have. And plugsuit? really? Its one of your point?

We have similar debate about how 00 and Wing have similar cosmetic, and you go as far made silly remark about "Boy that find robot" not Gundam common trope to deny it. And what you doing right now is the same.. Comparing the cosmetic. No one would deny RahXephon take a lot cosmetic that similar to Eva but glossing over that and call it blatant copy is ridiculous, its just not the case. Ihe structure is pretty different past that.

Here some pointer for you.

- Tokyo Jupiter definitely not Tokyo-2, the concept there's conspiracy to fooling the protagonist about his normal life in town is from Megazone 23, about the town actually not normal. Tokyo-2 is just town that modified because monster attack and not hold significances to the story.

- Mulian and Angel is fundamentally different, because Mulian have organization/faction that control it and not just wild beast.. the conflict between human and this faction also different than Human vs monster in Eva. HELL mulian is the name of faction, so the monster thing are like their mech.

- Shinji is just normal human unlike Ayato, Ayato and Rahxephon situation is similar to what happened in Raideen

remind you to something?
The pyramid thing that you accused rip-off from EVA (LOL) is also from Raideen. Anyway the point is, more supernatural plot device are attached to Ayato than Shinji that just normal brat.

- RahXephon is all about its love story, Eva's not If you don't get it with all the foreshadowing and assuming its not true because you stop watching, its your problem.

I hope that clear few thing

CorvoSol

Oh please some of these is cosmetic, Security organization like TERRA and NERV are from frigging Ultraman.. Countless anime have it before and post eva. Even Macross have. And plugsuit? really? Its one of your point?

Hoooooooooooooooooooo slow down, tiger. I'm not knocking NERV/TERRA. I mean, even GGG has, well, GGG. I'm talking the pyramid. And I didn't bring up plugsuits at all. You're kind of making that up right there. Why would I bring up plug suits? The red and black outfit referred to Haruka looking like Misato, not to plug suits.

You're flying off the handle at things I'm not even saying.

We have similar debate about how 00 and Wing have similar cosmetic, and you go as far made silly remark about "Boy that find robot" not Gundam common trope to deny it. And what you doing right now is the same.. Comparing the cosmetic. No one would deny RahXephon take a lot cosmetic that similar to Eva but glossing over that and call it blatant copy is ridiculous, its just not the case. Ihe structure is pretty different past that.

I don't remember this argument, and I don't think I'd have said that Gundam Wing and 00 are similar. I need to see a post where I said this, because they're not. Nor does "Boy Finds Robot" apply to either of them, since nobody goes and finds a Gundam in Wing or 00. Heero and company are given there Gundams for Op Meteor, and 00 gets theirs as part of CB. I don't remember saying any of this, either.

- Mulian and Angel is fundamentally different, because Mulian have organization/faction that control it and not just wild beast.. the conflict between human and this faction also different than Human vs monster in Eva. HELL mulian is the name of faction, so the monster thing are like their mech.

Well, no, the Dolems are pretty much the same as the Angels. And I dare say that them having a leader is the cosmetic difference, where them looking and functioning the same is the real point.

- Shinji is just normal human unlike Ayato, Ayato and Rahxephon situation is similar to what happened in Raideen

Again, that's what I'd call the cosmetic difference. Shinji and Ayato are still rather similar in character.
remind you to something?

No?

I hope that clear few thing

Not really. Especially when you've accused me of things I didn't say?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Love Lab] 03
Suddenly, drama.

Still not quite up to the bar set up by the first episode, but it seems like the introductions are over. It was still fairly enjoyable for what it was, and seeing Redhead Mugi being all moé and crap never gets old. #RIPKON

fertygo

Hoooooooooooooooooooo slow down, tiger. I'm not knocking NERV/TERRA. I mean, even GGG has, well, GGG. I'm talking the pyramid. And I didn't bring up plugsuits at all. You're kind of making that up right there. Why would I bring up plug suits? The red and black outfit referred to Haruka looking like Misato, not to plug suits.

You're flying off the handle at things I'm not even saying.

Shit even more ridiculous then I assume the jacket thing is the plutsuit, its the actual Haruka's jacket?

And read your above post, the pyramid thing from Raideen.

After a slumber of twelve millennia, the Demon Empire awakens to seize control of the Earth. Raideen, the giant robot-like protector of the lost continent of Mu, senses the evil presence and awakens within its golden pyramid. A young Japanese boy, Akira Hibiki, is alerted about the Demon Empire by a mysterious voice and rushes to the pyramid. It is soon revealed that Akira is a descendant of the ancient people of Mu who must help Raideen save the Earth. Akira enters the robot by way of a ramp, accelerating his motorcycle into the robot's head and assuming control of Raideen from an internal cockpit. In typical anime style, Akira is aided by Mari Sakurano, who happens to be the daughter of a prominent scientist, and his friends from the soccer club. Half way through the story the Demon Empire's master, Barao, is released from his statue prison and intends to finish what he started twelve thousand years earlier.

CorvoSol

Shit even more ridiculous then I assume the jacket thing is the plutsuit, its the actual Haruka's jacket?

You're kinda just overlooking, though. The point of mentioning Haruka's jacket isn't just "Misato wears a red jacket and so does Haruka". It's that Haruka and Misato look alike and fill much the same role. The jacket isn't the main point.

NeonZ

The pyramid thing that you accused rip-off from EVA (LOL) is also from Raideen.

The pyramid in Raideen wasn't an organization's base though, but an actual ancient artifact...

Really, RahXephon takes story and stylish elements from Eva, alongside some stylish elements from Raideen. It's all concentrated from very specific sources, so I don't see why RahXephon fans get all up in arms about these accusations. The comparisons to Eva taking inspiration from earlier series aren't really fair. They generally involve focusing on small outlines of specific events, while completely ignoring context and style. Some of the comparisons are valid, but the fact that they need to be so empty show how much range Eva actually took with its inspirations, rather than focusing on very specific material.

Yes, RahXephon eventually has a different ending from Eva, and has a few different concepts (like the start in the false world), but the similarities are pretty strong during most of the show.
Allied organization and antagonist work in a similar way for most of the show, overall style of the series is pretty similar too (organization attempt to control mechas with powers beyond their control - mecha which aren't actually robots), featuring similarly bizarre monsters of the week, plot heads towards a similar direction too with
the true objective being making a god...
and even the ending itself seems to be intended to be a fan pleasing version of Eva's.

In several ways, it basically comes of like an Eva made by people who watched Eva but didn't like the conclusion much. Romance becomes a big focus in the ending, and the driving factor behind the characters, rather than just a minor factor of conflict for some cast members. Hayato also turns out to be "special" in several ways, while Shinji's "special" features turn out to be just due to the Eva's soul. RahXephon's instrumentability actually
rewrites reality - like many people thought Shinji could have done in Eva, even though the tv series/End of Eva itself never says that.

CorvoSol

In any case, this has been a pretty good debate, and I apologize if I've said or done anything to offend anyone on either side during the course of it. Gotta cut it short, though, because it's almost five AM here, and I have to dig an (albeit small) grave tomorrow. One of the family birds died today, so I have to return its body to the Earth and all that jazz.

Catch y'all in the morrow, animeGAF.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Love Lab Episode 3: Screw Watamote, this is the real deal here to my never ending surprise. Three episodes in and it is still the best comedy of the season. Indeed this episode sees the rivalry between the Love Lab members and The Ousted heat up in a rather silly game of politics. It is good to see that Sayo and Eno have a comedic chemistry all of there own and that things are beginning to congeal overall, which is good now that
we have the team assembled and wacky antics with the full five man band can ensue.
We also have much in the way of yuri subext that may or may not evaporate if the series decides to live up to its goals, I do not forget that all of this love training is to find "the perfect boyfriend." Honestly, not sure how I feel about this series getting any kind of serious with the romance, that really is not what this show is about and I think if does do that, the show will sink quicker then a stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom