• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive, the inFamous sequel Second Son should’ve been

Same here. I was still ranked in the top 20 of one of the challenges last time I checked.

Good game. I didn't love it enough to replay it though. The mechanics do get a bit repetitive.

I wish I still had my XB1 so I could check the standings. I probably fell out since it was early on in the games life. But man did it feel good at the time. I spent 6 straight hours on that one challenge trying to get a better time.

killroy87

I don't think many people who have played both would argue that Sunset Overdrive is vastly superior to Second Son. The only categories I would argue SS to win out are technical graphics, and feel of movement. Second Son doesn't have the same traversal options as Sunset, but I do feel that the act of climbing and walking/running feels better there.

Shenmue

Banned
It's comments like this that people think GAF has a Sony bias. Do you even know why Insomniac developed Sunset Overdrive or why the game came on Xbox One? It was because Insomniac was fed up of not being in control of their IP's. They finally wanted to make a game where they would get to keep what they created with the studio and not be forced to make sequel after sequel if they didn't want to.

Additionally, Microsoft was the only company willing to pay Insomniac to not only develop this new IP but let them keep all rights to it. They also paid for the development. So no, Insomniac didn't abandon Sony, nor should they be damned for going Xbox One. Blame the other console manufacturers or publishers for not giving Insomniac what they wanted to make the game.

One person's comment makes people think GAF has a Sony bias? Jenniferlawrenceyeahok.gif.

I liked both games a lot but I definitely enjoyed Sunset Overdrive more. I think Infamous just took itself too serious for my liking.

Courage

I dont get why people like to do comparison like this. Both games are great and have their own uniqueness.

Because they share some similarities that the OP properly elucidates. Sunset Overdrive does a better job seamlessly integrating combat into its traversal, making it more engaging to move around and shoot things. SS separates the two and didn't do either that well.

I only played about an hour of it, but I cringed at the quality of writing and voice acting. None of this shit is funny.

Although maybe just the section I played was shitty.

Nah, the writing and story are just straight garbage. It doesn't get better. Largely, the game outside of its combat is pretty poor. Luckily, I thought it was fun enough to spend quite a bit of time with it.

Hopefully the sequel addresses many of the issues.

Foshy

sunset overdrive always seemed like a very very fun game on paper to me and i tried really hard to like it but somehow it just doesn't feel satisfying to me. like, i honestly don't know what it is because i really like the aesthetic and tone of the game and the customization options and the ideas but something about the gameplay just feels off. i was constantly thinking i'd rather be playing something else and dropped it after like 4-5 hours, might come back to it at some point though.

meanwhile second son (& first light) have kinda boring mission structures and are probably more repetitive but just feel good to play. never had as much fun going around the map and clearing a hollow checklist. character controls are on point and traversal is just...fun. idk.

Pinky

Banned
I haven't played either, but those gifs in the OP are really pushing me to try SO. Looks ridiculously fun. Just need an XB1 first. :p

I need to buy the game and play it when my step brother comes over because he brings over his Xbox One every time.

I want to play this game so bad. DAMM YOU INSOMNIAC FOR ABANDONING SONY JUST TO MAKE THIS ONE GAME FOR XBOX.

If you feel the need to blame someone, blame Sony for not letting Insomniac own their IP. The only reason Sunset is an XBox game is because Microsoft let them own it.

Completely agree. Second son had an underwhelming story and lacked a sense of adventure and exploration like the other two. It says something when the DLC is better than the actual game. Just started sunset overdrive and so far I'm enjoying it.

I do want to state that I liked Second Son a lot. I platinumed it and its DLC, and I'm a huge fan of the inFamous franchise. I also realize that they're both different franchises that go for different things, but overall I found the actual gameplay experience scratching the same itch.

That said, the traversal options of inFamous SS really took a nosedive, as did the side content. Ultimately it was a game that was a launch-title through and through, and while it was a great game on its own it really failed to live up to the inFamous games on the PS3.

Sunset Overdrive's presentation is one thing I didn't talk about. Obviously it's very different from inFamous, and I really don't think inFamous should ever do "self aware zany balls-to-the-wall" stuff like SO did. Naturally when I'm talking about combat and traversal options and what Insomniac should do for another inFamous game, I'm NOT asking them to start pulling in the presentation from Sunset Overdrive.

On that note, I didn't really have a problem with SO's presentation. I can admit it actually made me chuckle a couple of times, but quite a lot of jokes felt flat and a few too many instances of "US GAMERS, M I RITE?" still, something I easily overlooked in favor of its gameplay.

cilonen

I really loathe the style of Sunset Overdrive, it's super unappealing to me. I've also only managed about an hour of Second Son despite quite enjoying the first Infamous.

I guess I just felt satisfied after the first one, I wasn't really clamouring for more of that type of thing.

Put these two things together and it's not really an enticing proposition. I expected a lot more out of Insomniac.

ps3ud0

I do want to state that I liked Second Son a lot. I platinumed it and its DLC, and I'm a huge fan of the inFamous franchise. I also realize that they're both different franchises that go for different things, but overall I found the actual gameplay experience scratching the same itch.

That said, the traversal options of inFamous really took a nosedive, as did the side content. Ultimately it was a game that was a launch-title through and through, and while it was a great game on its own it really failed to live up to the inFamous games on the PS3.
Yep felt exactly the same, I expected much more from I:SS, its good (and looks really great) but looking at how big the change from Infamous to Infamous 2 I really had high hopes where I:SS was heading.

Doesnt help that the character you play wasnt that appealing to me (I liked Cole a bit too much :p)

ps3ud0 8)

InFamous SS was cool, First Light even better. I didn't like Sunset Overdrive that much. Though I haven't played it that much, but it was kinda boringly repetitive and I didn't connect with the game's humor (I'm too old for that shit).

Nah. I'm glad Second Son isn't Sunset Overdrive. I'd be pissed to have something like that happen to one of my favorite series.

If SS was like Sunset Overdrive I'd be very disappointed. Sunset is a nice game and all but it's not what I want in an InFamous game in any capacity.

Shame Sunset bombed though.

Kysen

Infamous SS was the better game, I abandoned SO because it was not fun to play. The jokes fell flat too.

Velikost

Not gonna lie, I didn't even try to read that OP.

I enjoyed Sunset Overdrive more than I thought I would, but it got a little long in the tooth towards the end. Infamous on the other hand, while somewhat repetitive, was short and sweet, which left me wanting even more. Luckily First Light delivered.

Madness

One person's comment makes people think GAF has a Sony bias? Jenniferlawrenceyeahok.gif.

No I said comments like this. You won't believe how many I've read, even acting like it was some betrayal for Insomniac to make a game on Xbox One, ignoring the fact that no one else took the risk of making an all new unproven IP, not only giving them the money for the development but promising them full rights and control of it. But if that's all you cherry picked out of the comment, jenniferlawrenceok back at you.

Insomniac wanted to be in control of their IP's, to not have to relinquish control like they did Ratchet and Clank, Resistance etc. Microsoft was the only one willing to give that to them.

If SS was like Sunset Overdrive I'd be very disappointed. Sunset is a nice game and all but it's not what I want in an InFamous game in any capacity.

Shame Sunset bombed though.

That's fine, both games are good at what they do, and SS took itself seriously enough that it made for a more compelling narrative (even if it was a bit disappointing at the end).

Just curious, and not to be confrontational, what do you like out of inFamous games and what does SO do that doesn't do it for you?

zsynqx

Yep felt exactly the same, I expected much more from I:SS, its good (and looks really great) but looking at how big the change from Infamous to Infamous 2 I really had high hopes where I:SS was heading.

Doesnt help that the character you play wasnt that appealing to me (I liked Cole a bit too much :p)

ps3ud0 8)

Second Son felt like a launch title (it basically was) but I still ended up enjoying it for what it was. Definitely a step down from 2 though.

Haven't played Sunset so can't comment on that.

I liked the Second Som but the game legit felt like a small spin-off, not a new mainline entry.

Yeah, the way powers worked, the fairly empty world and the lack of missions really highlight it was a launch window game. Hope they get one more crack at Infamous before calling the series quits.

The traversal is great but the combat was worse. SO combat was just a matter of having the right weapons on you and firing in the general direction of the enemy thanks to the generous autoaim. There are a good amount of fodder-type enemies in SS as well, but there are also many types of enemies that required you to aim at specific parts for maximum damage. Then there's the whole switching between powers thing that comes into play later on. It's a lot more robust and fun to play around with IMO.

That said, they're both great games in their own right.

Infamous 1 and 2 were two of my favorite games from the last generation. Second Son was a dissapointment for me, it lost the cool comic look in favour of "realism" and had a significantly less interesting city than the previous games. The characters were less interesting as well, and the powers felt a bit too much like palette-swaps. I'm really dissapointed by how Second Son turned out.

I enjoyed Sunset Overdrive much more than Second Son. But neither is quite the same as Infamous 1/2. Sunset feels like the child of Infamous, Ratchet and Clank, and Jet Set Radio though, which is very good.

wig

I really enjoyed SO during the first few hours but it got really boring and repetitive about halfway through. I never finished it. I enjoyed SS a lot more.

Zomba13

I got the white Xbone for Sunset Overdrive and loved it. Super fun game, funny, bright and colourful and the movement and momentum from jumping and grinding felt so good. Plus the weapons and the mods and all that stuff gave you a ton of control over how you engaged with enemies.

fixuis

I:SS is a vastly superior game, in every aspect and a fitting sequel. Loved every minute of it. Exclusive and great system showcase for PS4, IMO.

Dunlop

While my xb1 is not really getting use nowadays

Sunset Overdrive and Titanfall are my 2 favorite games so far this gen

SO #1 by far

Caayn

I'm happy and glad that I got to enjoy both games. Platinumed(is that even a word? SS and FL. And beat SO including all DLC.

However I'm more inclined to play SO than SS/FL, reminds me that I still need to do a few side-quests in SO.

I liked the setting, characters, and art style of Sunset Overdrive, but really hated the movement based gameplay mechanic. It just didn't mesh well with my preferred style of play.

Really well crafted game though. Wish it had found a larger audience.

Infamous 1 and 2 were two of my favorite games from the last generation. Second Son was a dissapointment for me, it lost the cool comic look in favour of "realism" and had a significantly less interesting city than the previous games. The characters were less interesting as well, and the powers felt a bit too much like palette-swaps. I'm really dissapointed by how Second Son turned out.

I enjoyed Sunset Overdrive much more than Second Son. But neither is quite the same as Infamous 1/2. Sunset feels like the child of Infamous, Ratchet and Clank, and Jet Set Radio though, which is very good.

I agree.

Sunset is NOT an inFamous clone. I mean, just reading the development section of the game in wikipedia makes it clear they didn't even intend to model it after superhero games. It's a combination of several different kinds of games that, at the sum of its parts, to my surprise out came a game that ended up scratching the kind of itch that I have when I play inFamous games. And not only that, but the angle that Insomniac approached this game from ended up being something a lot more fresh than Second Son.

For the people that are getting bothered by the comparison: trust me, I'm not making it lightly. I'm not saying "aaaah it's the same thing b/c you grind across power lines!", the combination of traversal with combat, and how traversal works in terms of how you as a player approach it, is remarkably similar to the thought process I was having when I was playing the first two inFamous games.

I'm not claiming they're clones but I will say this: in terms of gameplay they're more similar than they are apart.

The traversal is great but the combat was worse. SO combat was just a matter of having the right weapons on you and firing in the general direction of the enemy thanks to the generous autoaim. There are a good amount of fodder-type enemies in SS as well, but there are also many types of enemies that required you to aim at specific parts for maximum damage. Then there's the whole switching between powers thing that comes into play later on. It's a lot more robust and fun to play around with IMO.

That said, they're both great games in their own right.

That's a good point you raise! SO definitely focused on "weaknesses" and definitely focused more on cannon-fodder style of enemies. You fight enemies in SS for a lot longer than you fight enemies in SO.

Encounter design in Second Son was really good. I very much enjoyed it, and I'm even going to state that it's basically the only reason I platinumed the game and its DLC. Despite both games being so light on content and a really empty open world, the combat was just that good. It made the game for me.

SO I think takes a bigger liking to the earlier games in the inFamous series, where the combat is not as polished on its own and the enemy encounters don't last as long. inFamous didn't have as much of a focus in having cannon-fodder, though, that's something SO brings to the table.

gdt

Hah, I'm playing SO right now. Just finished Vanilla, tackling the DLC now.

I liked Infamous SS a lot, but SO is in a different league. Movement and combat and the combo of both feels so good.

Top Bottom