• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Advance 4 (SMB3) on Wii U VC in Japan WILL contain the e-Reader levels

That's good news. Might buy now.
Still. All e-shop games with e-Reader exclusives or stuff only unlocked by connecting to older hardware should be unlocked in the e-shop release

Nessus

After Nintendo decided that my Wii Virtual Console purchases wouldn't carry over to my Wii U because they want me to buy them all over again I'd pretty much written off VC.

But if they do include the Japanese e-Reader stages I'll buy this in a heartbeat.

-shadow-

Good news for Japan, but... Didn't Nintendo completely remove any and all references to the E-Reader from the PAL release?

Do the Virtual Console releases of the Super Mario Advance series allow for the traditional Mario "hand-off" consecutive multiplayer? Or is it basically a single player version of the game like (I believe) the GBA releases?

ash_ag

This is HUGE.

There are so many great e-Reader games lost in obscurity. Even much of the Pokémon material has gone undocumented and often borderline inaccessible these days. Hope they bring more e-Reader stuff on Virtual Console.

pikablu

Biggest nintendo announcement of the year! I feel like preserving nintendos weird things are very important. There are so many people who never got the chance to play these levels.

maxcriden

Oh man, I though Zero Mission was enough pain :c

Part of the reason I'm studying Japanese is to play games like that which never released in NA. I know I could play the PAL version, but I figure as long as I'm eager to play import games that never made it here I might as well go for broke.

Zee-Row

Banned
I like how the e-reader levels have Super Mario 2 elements like picking up veggies. Wish Mario Maker would add this.

Fandangox

give them some time to localize it, at least a year and a half

yAhcyvHi.jpg

Yukinari

I used to play some of the e-reader stuff since i owned a few Mario 3 cards like the cape. The content is totally worth buying this version.

Grizzo

Really nice! Too bad I already bought a used copy of the GBA version a few months ago.

But anyway, there's no news about a possible European release so it doesn't really matter for now.

Plus I already got my fix of 2D Mario games with Super Mario Maker haha.

Super Mario Advance 4 Europe version has World-e, it's hidden, but it's there, AND translated too. I had released a save with access to it back then.

They can literally just take US card data on the Europe version since the format is the same.

entremet

So these levels were never within the cart only unlocked by the cards, but there were actually stored in the cards themselves?

If that's the case, no wonder data mining the ROM, which let's face it, has been out there for ages, was fruitless lol.

Ridley327

So these levels were never within the cart only unlocked by the cards, but there were actually stored in the cards themselves?

If that's the case, no wonder data mining the ROM, which let's face it, has been out there for ages, was fruitless lol.
Yeah, these levels were legitimately obtainable only through the cards. Nintendo did true DLC back then and nobody even knew!

Just another reason to love M2. Hopefully it has all of the e-levels including the ultra rare "Mad Dash" which was a comic store exclusive e-card in Japan and is the only level which still hasn't been ripped.

Anyways, with Zero Mission still not out in the U.S. it will be a long time before we even get the game itself. Glad I have the complete U.S. card sets including the rare Walmart exclusive set with Airship's Revenge as seen below:

Rest of my collection:

Played most, if not all these levels, even the Japanese ones, via emulation. Tons of fun. Will buy if they release it with the all the levels in NA.

This is out now in Japan, did anyone here with a Japanese Wii U get it and if so can you confirm whether or not all of the e-levels (including the rare one I mentioned above) and additional e-card power up item/p-switch functions are in?

Top Bottom