• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario All-Stars Is A Truly Horrible Remake

Krejlooc

Banned
This is an authentic copy of Ninja Gaiden running on a PC Engine? I've never heard or seen this parallax scrolling issue.

Edit: Holy cow, it really looks to be that awful! I can't believe how awful the scrolling is. Just goes to show patching isnt always such an evil thing, as not all games shipped without issues!

that's running on an emulator, but it behaves the exact same way on my real PC Engine.

Ys 3 has the same sort of parallax scrolling issues. It's doing tile-width scrolling, which is why it looks so off. It's the same way the MSX did a lot of its scrolling. The reason it's scrolling like that is because the PC Engine only had 1 hardware background layer, so to achieve parallax, they needed to offset tiles by the correct amount in the opposite direction to make it look like they were different layers. This is actually a very old trick, they just did it extremely poorly. Manfred Trenz did it to great effect on the C64 in Turrican:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQVi0k5nUTI#t=16m14s

The reason it works so better here is because he actually animated each tile line by line and would flip through them as they moved until they would reach a full tile width, at which point he'd shift the entire level down. This means each individual tile takes up 8 times amount the normal space (because they are 8 pixels wide, and thus need 8 frames of animation). That's likely why they didn't do this on the PC Engine, because space was at a premium on tiny hucards.

I find it annoying that people scoff at this complaint. Hitting blocks is one of the only things you do in Mario 1. It's a pretty big deal.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They did a great job with Mario 2. I prefer the original versions of the other three games though. I really don't like how SMB1+Lost Levels sound and how SMB 3 looks.

Nessus

SMA3 Yoshi's Island: The game adds one extra level per world after you beat the game.

SMA4 Super Mario Bros 3: This one was by far the best because of World e, which added entire new levels, some of which went as far as adding SMB2 mechanics!

I've been wishing for years that Nintendo would port these levels to a Virtual Console release or something. Both the Yoshi's Island and the Mario 3 levels are actually really well done, interesting levels, not just filler.

I love how the Mario 3 ones don't just add Mario 2 mechanics, but Mario World as well. It's like a mashup of all the classic Mario games.

And yeah, Mario Maker gives off some of the same vibes.

antibolo

Banned
Mario's unexplained suntan in 3 was the worst part of All-Stars.

But no seriously yeah the physics in 1/LL were shit, I remember noticing it as a kid and being annoyed by it, but the pretty graphics made me convince myself that it was still a superior version. But of course I was wrong.

HUELEN10

I've been wishing for years that Nintendo would port these levels to a Virtual Console release or something. Both the Yoshi's Island and the Mario 3 levels are actually really well done, interesting levels, not just filler.

I love how the Mario 3 ones don't just add Mario 2 mechanics, but Mario World as well. It's like a mashup of all the classic Mario games.

And yeah, Mario Maker gives off some of the same vibes.
Super Mario Advance 3 is on VC right now!

G0523

The SNES version of the games is fine. It's not like Nintendo is forcing you to play them especially with how many times they've ported the original versions. The Wii version is still really lazy though.

And, ZOE collection on PS3 is fine too (after the necessary patch).

MisterHero

SMB1's physics weren't perfect either. Trampolines suck in both versions.

That doesn't make All-Stars SMB1 a "piece of shit". Nor does it ruin the the collection. SMB2, 3, and even the later port of World are arguably better in some respects.

B.K.

I haven't played either version of Super Mario Bros. in probably 20 years, so that video in the op looks fine to me.

Shitty ports and remakes like Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis for GBA, Dead Rising Chop Til You Drop, and the PS3 Version of the Zone Of The Enders collection all get the hate they deserve, because they tarnish what was once great.

You're seriously comparing Mario All-Stars to those games? Lol

Plays fine.

Two words?

Yeah, as a kid I thought the games were okay, but playing the real version then going back to the All Star ones you can definitely see the difference, and it is pretty obnoxious.

That being said- many, many people were raised on these versions, so I'm willing to bet a lot of people didn't notice.

for SMB1/SMB2J, I would take the NES originals over any of the remakes. The All-Stars version of SMB1 just feels off. However, for SMB2USA, I would take the GBA remake. They spiced the game up by just the right amount. For SMB3 it's a toss up to be honest, don't really prefer one version to another for that game.

Holy hyperbole.

The physics are indeed different but the game was free for many folks and 2 and 3 feel fine. They're still playable, they're still fun.

If it makes you feel better, Nintendo only sells the original NES versions via virtual console. SMB1 and 2(JP) are forever stuck on the cart.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I always felt the physics of the SMB/LL remakes were spot on. I even confirmed it by doing the Minus-World glitch to prove they still work the same. Yes, you still get sucked into the wall if you hit it right. (No, the pipe doesn't actually take you to -1)

Though SMB2 and 3 are the games I prefer the most on the collection.

Over all, I believe the physics are pretty much identical. It's almost as if they ported the exact code and only changed the graphics and sound.

Is it possible to Game Genie it into perfectness then?

I know nothing about SNES CPU

EDIT: Nevermind.

Good question actually. I'm not familiar with how Game Genie works... does it edit only variables contained in memory? If so I doubt you'd be able to alter the physics code with it, only the value that makes for a longer or shorter "upward boost" in Mario's physics when hitting a block. It would still feel pretty broken. But don't quote me, maybe you can. I know romhackers have managed to fix it though.

amnesiac

It plays fine. Maybe to people who played the original a ton would spot physics issues, but I always chose the SMAS version over all the other ones out there.

Also, the SMAS versions of 2+3 are easily the best versions of those.

entremet

It plays fine. Maybe to people who played the original a ton would spot physics issues, but I always chose the SMAS version over all the other ones out there.

Also, the SMAS versions of 2+3 are easily the best versions of those.
I still prefer the originals, especially for Mario 3, which had some strange changes, like the underground stages.

This is where it's at:

RATYgwh.jpg

even with the scrolling screen problem, this is still the best port of SMB (+2) ever.

The bonus material for this one kept me playing it for months. Yeah the screen size was truncated, but it really was a great port with a lot of additional bonus material like the ghost challenges and such.

Super Mario All Stars is still worth owning for Mario Bros. 2 USA and SMB: 3.

Two words?

Yeah, as a kid I thought the games were okay, but playing the real version then going back to the All Star ones you can definitely see the difference, and it is pretty obnoxious.

That being said- many, many people were raised on these versions, so I'm willing to bet a lot of people didn't notice.
I didn't really know what else to say. I don't agree that the remakes are horrible, cause well they do play fine.

Theorymon

Two games have minor differences = entire collection is awful?

I wouldn't really call the momentum block glitch a really minor difference. When rushing through Super Mario Bros and Lost Levels, maintaining momentum is a lot more important than other Mario games, and its harder to gain and maintain. Hitting a block in All Stars can RUIN that flow!

However, to be fair, I feel like this glitch in All Stars mostly effects people who are rushing through the levels. I love doing that, but not everyone does. For people who play these Mario games in a slower, more methodological fashion, this glitch isn't really that much of a deal breaker, since you're walking a lot more often anyways. Like it was mentioned in that other thread that got linked here: Witholding your kids from playing the All Stars version over the original versions is pretty ridiculous, because I highly doubt some little kids are gonna speed run Mario lol. And even if they did, its not like they're playing a terrible game, just a lesser version of an already fantastic game.

This isn't remotely on the level of the Sonic 1 remake on the GBA, which was practically unplayable.

So in a sense, I do think the title of this thread is a bit hyperbolic: The All Stars versions of SMB and Lost Levels are still pretty damn good games, especially if you're new to Mario. HOWEVER, I do agree with Hulen that the original versions of them are better, so its ideal to play them instead if possible.

hatchx

Banned
All-Stars was great for me because I never had an NES (only played it at my cousins). At the time, it was great.

However, going back and playing SMB1,2,3 in their original form, I don't know how I'd ever play All-Stars again. It's kind of an off remake where the physics feel stiffer. I agree with the OP overall, although at the time in 1993 when All Stars came out, it wasn't so bad.

Azure J

There needs to be a version of All-Stars SMB1 and Lost Levels with NES physics modded into them. I always loved how All-Stars looked and sounded but there is definitely a noticeable difference in physics with the two games I mentioned.

Tizoc

Never knew this about the SNES re-release, wow.

When it come to port and remasters in this day and age, most of us tend to care that they are done right. No one would think well of a remaster of a 6th gen game that runs at a worse framerate than it did originally, or cross-gen game that has the 7th gen version looking better than the 8th gen version, or a classic 2d game getting a re-imagining in an artstyle that is simply not representative of the original title. Shitty ports and remakes like Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis for GBA, Dead Rising Chop Til You Drop, and the PS3 Version of the Zone Of The Enders collection all get the hate they deserve, because they tarnish what was once great.
Wait what's wrong with the Wii ver. of DR1? The PS3 ZoE1 isn't THAT bad, it's playable and graphics are fine, the performance could've been better though.

I farrrr prefer the NES version of SMB3.

Come to think of it, I can't really think of any games that received SNES/Genesis ports I don't prefer on the original machines.

Kasper

Playing the various games included in Super Mario All-Stars is some of the best gaming memories I have from my time with my SNES. Inferior as parts of it may be for the hardcore crowd, it was a fantastic release that probably introduced a lot of people to Mario.

Personally:

Mario 1: NES < SNES
Mario 2j: NES < SNES

Better music and way better graphics. Outside the silly bug (which for some stupid reason I never noticed until it was pointed out to me), it's the perfect versions of those games.

Actually, there's one more problem with the SNES versions... Because of the background, there are some formerly hidden blocks which aren't hidden anymore in the SNES game. But that's no big deal.

I really liked the added Bowser music pieces.

Mario 2u: NES > SNES
Mario 3: NES > SNES

Better music on the NES. Mario 2's cave music is so deep that it actually vibrated my old TV when it played, it was so cool. Mario 3 also wins on the NES musically, even if the SNES does have some good music, too. If I could somehow take the graphics from the All-Stara games and mix it with the SFX and music from the NES, it would be amazing.

My favorite addition to the All-Stars version of Mario 2 was the really creepy portraits and faces in the Key Rooms.

This is where it's at:

RATYgwh.jpg

even with the scrolling screen problem, this is still the best port of SMB (+2) ever.

I was super upset there was no Luigi, as I played as him in the SNES version of that game. It made a certain level near impossible lol.

tronic307

Is it possible to Game Genie it into perfectness then?
Found these here:

Game Genie:

Super Mario All-Stars (USA) - SNES

Based on the original patch by BMF54123 (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/167/)

Descendant Physics fix (Master- needed for both)
CBEC-3DD7
DFEC-3D07
69EC-3D67
CDEC-3DA7
62EC-3FD7
DDEC-3F07
F1EC-3F67
18EC-3FA7

Descendant Physics fix (SMB1)
4488-3F6E
CD88-3FAE
EE88-34DE
DD88-340E

Descendant Physics fix (SMB:LL)
448C-1F75
CD8C-1F55
EE8C-1F85
DD8C-1FE5

Action Replay(MK2 or MK3):

and GG codes by rimsky82

80FFA0A9
80FFA101
80FFA285
80FFA3A0
80FFA48D
80FFA500
80FFA616
80FFA76B

83BFB622
83BFB7A0
83BFB8FF
83BFB900

8DBDA422
8DBDA5A0
8DBDA6FF
8DBDA700

Krejlooc

Banned
Found these here:

Game Genie:

CBEC-3DD7
DFEC-3D07
69EC-3D67
CDEC-3DA7
62EC-3FD7
DDEC-3F07
F1EC-3F67
18EC-3FA7

4488-3F6E
CD88-3FAE
EE88-34DE
DD88-340E

448C-1F75
CD8C-1F55
EE8C-1F85
DD8C-1FE5

Action Replay(MK2 or MK3):

and GG codes by rimsky82

80FFA0A9
80FFA101
80FFA285
80FFA3A0
80FFA48D
80FFA500
80FFA616
80FFA76B

83BFB622
83BFB7A0
83BFB8FF
83BFB900

8DBDA422
8DBDA5A0
8DBDA6FF
8DBDA700

this obviously wouldn't work on real hardware which defeats the purpose.

I never really played the remakes of SMB 1 and Lost levels so I can't really comment on the changes. I was mostly hooked on SMB 3 and I loved it.

Christ, man, maybe tone it down a bit. All the swearing in the first post feels incredibly forced, like you watched an old AVGN video and tried to replicate it with none of the charm.

MultiCore

this obviously wouldn't work on real hardware which defeats the purpose.

Did you read his linked thread? Get a Pro Action replay:
http://gamehacking.org/vb/threads/6...s-brick-fix-with-Game-Genie?p=53836#post53836
I did some research and it really looks like newer versions of PAR can handle GG codes. Unfortunately, I don't have PAR2 or 3 (as they can handle up to 255 codes at once), so I cannot test it on a real hardware. But I tried to convert rimsky82's GG codes to PAR format and enter them in SNES9X and ZSNES - and it worked! Here are the codes:

Nairume

Banned
Wait what's wrong with the Wii ver. of DR1? The PS3 ZoE1 isn't THAT bad, it's playable and graphics are fine, the performance could've been better though.

Yeah, Chop 'til You Drop is basically a different game. It doesn't really belong in that grouping.

Never knew this about the SNES re-release, wow.

Chop Till You Drop is made from the RE 4 Wii Edition engine and is a completely different game. The game is more focused on gunplay rather than actual weapons not to mention the low amount of enemies on screen and that Frank can't even jump...

Ninja Dom

It wasn't that great a remake of Super Mario Bros.

I commend them for creating the package though, especially for 1993. We didn't normally get remake packages like this.

...A barebones port of All Stars with nothing fixed or added?

Exactly what was the point of Nintendo even releasing it in the first place? They could have easily just made this a VC release or included more games in it like Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and hell even Paper Mario 1 and 2.

I'm pretty sure those 3 games don't take up an entire 8gb disc....

Nairume

Banned
Exactly what was the point of Nintendo even releasing it in the first place? They could have easily just made this a VC release or included more games in it like Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and hell even Paper Mario 1 and 2.

The collection also came with an artbook and a music disc. They weren't just selling a rom.

Artorias

Banned

No idea haha, I've heard the file is less than 100mb. I agree though, I would much prefer it on VC even if it was more expensive than most.

If they wanted to do a collectors disc, it should have had the NES versions included like the Dragon Quest 25th anniversary disc.

Top Bottom