• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario All-Stars Is A Truly Horrible Remake

virtualS

Agreed on the physics of SMB1. It was and has always been off.

The PS3 version of ZOE2 is definitive though post Hexadrive patch.

Artorias

Banned
The PS3 version of ZOE2 is definitive though post Hexadrive patch.

I was thinking this was the case, I know they put a patch out years after release and the thread seemed pretty positive about it.

So is ZOE1 bad on PS3? I have to admit I haven't even launched it.

Sakujou

Banned
bro, first of all, you are making up shit. dont forget, that pretty much the rest of the world didnt get super mario bros 2(j) until 1993. another one is, that PAL gamers already had for a very long time, it wasnt till the last gen, that we were still playing with 50hz. a lot of games were running slower. it was rarely adjusted to the original speed. only a couple of devs were doing the effort to adjust it for the few people in PAL regions (europe,australia south africa?)

another one is, that i played smb1+3 on nes, but i finished both games on the snes in the all star collection since my parents never allowed me to own more than one system at a time.

if you are this old to complain about that... i dont think that you were pissed off as a kid to see these minor changes. i do realize them, but i would never critisize these games since i didnt know it better back then.

Chinbo37

I played the shit out of these versions. Beat all games with no warps.

At the time I didnt notice any jumping issues (I was like 11 I guess). But if I ever had the desire to go back to play them, I guess I would just play the original NES vesrions.

Some speed runners having to change their run on 2 out of 5 games does not = Truly horrible remake. Like....yeah it's an unfortunate bug.ill even say it makes them vastly inferior to the originals, although I'd say the aesthetic changes are more of an issue. However, every other port mentioned in the op is far, far worse than all Stars. furthermore, the assumption that this collection would be somehow critically slammed if it were released today is pretty easily disproven by looking at the meacritic page for the anniversary collection. Lots of complaints, not a word about the block physics. Because really, in the scheme of things, the block physics are only one aspect of what was a genius game. The level design, for example, is still amazing in Mario 1. Not lost levels though, that is a horrible, uninspired trial and error based piece of shit that has worse problems than block physics.

Wiseblade

I'm not fond of the All Star version on SMB3, either. Nothing mechanical, but I definitely prefer the way the original game looks more.

It only seems to happen when there's a block in front of the one you're hitting, as if your head got stuck in its edge and made you slide down. Right?

I always find it funny to look back at old game magazines or website articles to see them praise games that are now considered overrated. In particular, I remember that when EGM did its top 100 (200?) list - the one where Super Metroid topped it for the first time (I think) - the staff listed SMB3, SMB2, and SMB1, but made sure to note that they were listing the versions as found in Super Mario All-Stars. Nowadays, no one would dare do that because people would mock them for it. Another example was IGN listing Castlevania II as one of the best NES games ever made, although this was actually after it appeared on AVGN so you can't exactly say that they were ignorant of the criticisms it received.

EDIT: I was about to say that I didn't like what they did with SMB3's graphics, but I think I was just misremembering how it looked and thought it was made to be more generic. It definitely looks what SMB3 should look like on SNES. I still like the old visuals a bit better, though.

Sephzilla

Mario 3 All-Stars is basically the definitive version for me. I'd say same goes for Mario 2. The All-Stars Remakes of Mario 1 and Lost Levels are definitely inferior to their originals though. Plus I think Mario 1/Lost Levels lose a lot of their charm when ditching the 8-bit art style and music.

SuomiDude

Mario All Stars has the best versions of each Mario game. You (op) can have your opinion, my opinion is that. All Stars also has great graphics and music and save feature, so it's basically a perfect remake compilation.

foltzie1

Exactly what was the point of Nintendo even releasing it in the first place? They could have easily just made this a VC release or included more games in it like Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and hell even Paper Mario 1 and 2.

I'm pretty sure those 3 games don't take up an entire 8gb disc....

No idea haha, I've heard the file is less than 100mb. I agree though, I would much prefer it on VC even if it was more expensive than most.

If they wanted to do a collectors disc, it should have had the NES versions included like the Dragon Quest 25th anniversary disc.

Dear Nintendo (at the risk of a port begging smack),

Please release SMB All Stars on the Wii U VC. I understand that it would muck with pricing, so consider, make the game $25-30 and offer a $5 discount for each of the NES versions a person owns. If you wanted to be crazy, make it free, but only if you own the NES versions. Since Mario titles tend to be at the high end of the VC sales charts, I would assume the numbers should work.

Ranger X

Super Mario Allstars as a whole is one of the greatest remake collections in history. Start by listing me better remake collections for start.

And YES there's an error with the "top detection collision" with Super Mario Bros and Lost Levels but I doubt it did ruin the game for 99,9% of people. Deceiving yes, game breaking? no.

Top Bottom