• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Chopper

NQHKSVE.gif
I know man. I know.

What the 1.10 update did:

https://twitter.com/RandomTBush/status/646891889011085312

https://twitter.com/RandomTBush/status/646903479529828352

Changed one sprite that was messed up that probably nobody noticed, and added support/framework for Nintendo-made levels.

If I recall correctly, one of Modern Mario's swimming sprites doesn't have the glove recolored correctly.

There's actually two copies of the sprite, and it's wrong in both spots. (I'm guessing one specifically for the Modern 30th Mario, one for Costume Mario.)

Hey guy. I just gave these a few plays.

They are both fantasioc looking levels. There's a lush level of detail that really makes them look like legit Nintendo levels.

That said, I MUCH preferred the second level. It was more fun to explore, and... I actually finished it. I can't find Yoshi! I tried flying over the spinning saws for ages before establishing that Yoshi is a more viable option. But I just have no idea where he is!

You have a keen eye for a Ghost House, my friend. I am just sorry my feeble brain didn't allow me to capitalize on your hard work.

Everyone should give these a try though. You get a star for Horsecapades. You will get one for Yoshi once I've found him!

Aw shucks, thanks! Spent a lot of time getting the visuals right, glad it's not going unnoticed!

As for where to find Yoshi...
Remember the room with the spinning boos surrounding a bunch of coins? Those coins are meant to be a "drawing" of a cape leaf. You need to fly up where the arrow points in the same room once you have the cape later in the level. That's why there are infinitely spawning capes from that pipe before the saws in case you lose it.

I suppose its kind of weird that the first level is harder than the second, eh? The second one is just a linear progression while the first is more of a puzzle.

Roo

Not sure if it's been done before but I wanted to give it a try. Super Mario Bros. 3 fans will probably enjoy it :D

World 8 - Castle (Remix)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Difficulty: Medium/ Hard
ID: 0AEB-0000-006A-3EE4

9hhjkLv.jpg

Cuburt

Okay, so I decided to make one more version of Boo's Plumbing Nightmare.

Boo's Plumbing Nightmare ver 2.0 (43AB-0000-0069-9A0E)
DpmrAlOl.jpg

I had to play this after seeing other people comment on how good it is and it really is a brilliantly designed level. Really I have no comments on how it can be improved it's just chock full of great design.

The password system was very clever. I was trying to figure out a way to create a checkpoint for a level I was going to create but you went above and beyond what I was thinking to be able to code in a way that is only for the people who make it that far.

DaBoss

Thanks, that's a relief to hear that those parts of it came across as fun and not confusing and frustrating. I tried my best to use only subtle visual cues since I felt part of the experience is exploring and try things out but I was worried that it could end up feeling like running around in circles not knowing where to go next if it was too subtle.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you
figure out you had to hit the P-Switch and go in the pipe?
I may have actually used an unorthodox solution. I entered that vertical pipe repeatedly since it felt like it lead to 3 different places instead of 2. That lead me to the "upside-down" area at the top. A P-Switch dropped with me and I saw a bunch of coins up there. I used it and went to that area again quickly and then activated a 2nd P-Switch that dropped directly on to the bricks there on the P-Switch.

I know that there is a door that leads there and has a dizzy effect associated with it, but I actually forgot about it while playing it, and only remembered it while making this post.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Any thoughts on this stage would be appreciated. All my stages are me working with my daughter, so if there is something weird like a fish falling out of a pipe, it's simply because it amused her.

Ghost Ride In The Sky: 892A-0000-0068-2096

Dimentios

Update:

Heaven's Keep (70F8 0000 007F B816) NEW

The mysterious levitating fortress beyond the clouds.
With several canons and bullet bill launchers this place is heavily guarded.
A certain area of this fortress seems to be structured like an old airship...

4HlY071.jpg

Sunken Airship (2053 0000 0012 5786)

An old airship on the ground of the sea where several boos are now living.
Also, it seems that the old canons are still working. So be aware!

91gxv7K.jpg

Carnivore Hollows (1CAE 0000 0062 93FD)

Exploring the depths of the Carnivore Hollows and their inhabitants.
Chain Chomps everywhere! Can you reach the secret pipe?

enSgK11.jpg

Aerial Port (F60F 0000 0012 941E)

A well guarded aerial port deep in the sky of the mushroom kingdom.
Watch out for Koopa Troopas and Rocky Wrenches.
Hmm, something is twinkling beyond the clouds...

J7okIFM.jpg

Mushroom Cavern (A9F2 0000 001B DE44)

A mysterious cavern full of mushrooms and several pipes.
Only the difficult route leads to the goal.
Avoid the piranha-plants and the buzzy beetles.

OeB2PbQ.jpg

Golden Fortress (0EE5 0000 0034 5018)

Inside of the legendary golden fortress.
Thwomps and Koopa Troopas are guarding this quiteful place

37b0ba6cbd1f1eaec12384694b28640e.png

Mining Melancholy (C745 0000 0052 42AA)

Diddy's single adventure in the dark mining cave.
Apart from some plants here and there he is completely alone.
Can you find the three hidden 1UP-Mushrooms on your way out?

b18cd4eecd2fefce3a59919fc56ab138.png

Rolling in the Deep - BB3F 0000 0062 768

first stage i made with the limited supplies they start you with, I was already told how to unlock everything but i already finished the stage at the time, its a fairly simple stage, i don't understand how 11 people played it and only 3 beat it :/

Neoweee

I finished the first world of my eventual full campaign.

1-1 Invasion Plains
ID 9394-0000-005F-589D

1-2 Koopa Cannon Cavern
2BBB-0000-006A-5E17

1-3 Staging Undergrounds
83FD-0000-0063-4D43

1-4 Frontier Factory Offensive
D939-0000-0069-E8D4

Also, I uploaded this a few days ago, but I'm rather fond of the level.

No Time To Rest!
New and improved. There's no time and nowhere to stop. CHALLENGE MODE: Get all the coins!
083F-0000-0066-F486

I think 1-4 and No Time To Rest are my two best levels so far. I am open to working on all of the levels and improving them over time.

Is it wrong to be able to find new ways to make another version of my "Biggest waste of time ever" levels?

Yeah...my troll side really comes out with this game.

Got back into creating levels and decided to make a side-scrolling shoot-em-up using the clown car and fire flower. Any feedback is appreciated.

Secret Flight Mission #1
ID: F3AC-0000-006A-6B67

In honor of Mario Maker, I thought it be cool to show of a picture of all the 2-D Mario games I have.

bBjMI98.jpg

There's nothing like playing the old Mario games on the original hardware.

Is it ridiculously nitpicky/pedantic of me to kinda dislike numbered levels?

Nothing specific against anyone here (sorry), but in 100 Mario Challenge I keep coming across things like "Mario's Big Escape Part 2!" and "Grassy Greens 3-4" and I'm like...well I have no context for anything else you have created, and I'm probably not going to hunt you down to play the rest of the levels you made...I don't know if you tried to teach the player some consistent rules that you use in previous courses, so I might be lost on that front...

It just bugs me because most people are going to experience these levels non-contiguously, and I just see so many...I'm not really excited playing part 4 of something, in a vacuum.

braves01

Banned
New "challenge" level based around spin jumps I made. It's fair and there's a part you can kinda cheese, but I think it turned out all right for now.

0879-0000-006A-7425

WVW69ia9SKABllFs__

Nothing specific against anyone here (sorry), but in 100 Mario Challenge I keep coming across things like "Mario's Big Escape Part 2!" and "Grassy Greens 3-4" and I'm like...well I have no context for anything else you have created, and I'm probably not going to hunt you down to play the rest of the levels you made...I don't know if you tried to teach the player some consistent rules that you use in previous courses, so I might be lost on that front...

It just bugs me because most people are going to experience these levels non-contiguously, and I just see so many...I'm not really excited playing part 4 of something, in a vacuum.

That issue is more on the side of Nintendo imo. There should be much better support for Worlds and multi-stage levels. In fact the 100 Mario Challenge just feels really bare-bones as is.

The Flash

Banned
It's good with me. Want to do my new level? Yet to be streamed (as far as I know)!

Showdown with Red Baron Rocky

WVW69ia6MrgS-5Vg_4

2845-0000-0069-6686

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/B_Bech/posts

Take your pick. 1-UP actually just finished streaming. I love watching people play my levels.

Ice Bridge To Eternity
C01F-0000-0059-2F20

Under The Starry Sky
4694-0000-004D-7DD7

My levels are better if you look for secrets. Feels like they may be boring if you dont judging from other streams. Still I feek they are well designed. Working on number 5.

Apologies for my abhorrent Mario skills guys. I did like playing your levels.

Balb

I've made 9 or so levels and have been finding it hard to justify making SMB3 levels outside of aesthetics. Any reason to do so, outside of maybe airship stages?

Cuburt

I may have actually used an unorthodox solution. I entered that vertical pipe repeatedly since it felt like it lead to 3 different places instead of 2. That lead me to the "upside-down" area at the top. A P-Switch dropped with me and I saw a bunch of coins up there. I used it and went to that area again quickly and then activated a 2nd P-Switch that dropped directly on to the bricks there on the P-Switch.

I know that there is a door that leads there and has a dizzy effect associated with it, but I actually forgot about it while playing it, and only remembered it while making this post.

haha That is so satisfying to read. I would have thought people would find out the door is the shortcut by back up there and just use that instead but that is so cool that it still gives you enough time to work the way you backtracked! Plus, you still made the connection subconsciously about the door even if the other way wouldn't have worked.

I definitely was planning for a non-linear problem with various ways to approach a solution, it's good to see even a solution I didn't think of was still able to work.

Thanks for the feedback.

Does anyone know of SMW enemies that Big Mario can't defeat (without a shell) but that Fireflower Mario can, and that respawn/reappear if you leave the area and come back?

Both Piranha Plants and Spinies (aka spike beetles) have failed the test, so I'm hoping there's some other alternative that I'm missing.

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who can come up with a solution to this little problem (if one exists)!

rekameohs

Banned
Hi everyone!

I finished my first serious course, and I'd like to share it with you all so I could get your feedback.

Essentially, my objective in this was to make a challenging course in almost no horizontal space. My only rule was that I wanted the entire flagpole visible from the immediate start and I went from there. I know that "challenge rooms", so to speak, get a bad rap because they're often poorly designed, and I feel they usually resort to cheap deaths or pixel perfect contrivances. With this one, I did the best I could to fit many challenge concepts into such a tight space without any one seeming overly ridiculous. I particularly like how I was able to
trap Mario in the green koopa shell bouncing room, and "free" the boos by knocking out the Goombas they're standing on
. I'd love to hear what your thoughts on it are.

Next up, I'll probably design a more traditional course, focusing more on aesthetics. I just felt like starting with a challenge would be fun!

Here it is:

cZDR50p.jpg

Y8Ve0X5.jpg

jholmes

Nope, I feel the same way.

I suppose I should say if it's ridiculously nitpicky and pedantic, at least you're not alone.

Does anyone know of SMW enemies that Big Mario can't defeat (without a shell) but that Fireflower Mario can, and that respawn/reappear if you leave the area and come back?

Both Piranha Plants and Spinies (aka spike beetles) have failed the test, so I'm hoping there's some other alternative that I'm missing.

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who can come up with a solution to this little problem (if one exists)!

Possibly Gloombas with Piranha Plants on their heads? Or Koopas wearing another enemy? Bear in minds a lot of times when someone jumps on a Koopa they won't kill them, they'll just put 'em in their shells and move on. SMW is actually the worst of the four games for that as the koopas pop out, while in SMB3 and NSMBU they just go into their shell and aren't as easily kicked as SMB. Mind you koopas don't go into their shells when hit with a fireball, so that may be no good. Sorta just spitballing here as I have no idea what the context is.

This might be a really obvious question and unhelpful, but can't you just pipe them back onto the stage rather than hoping for a respawn?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey, guys.

Finally a level I'm kind of proud. It's called "A Mario Between Worlds" and... well, I think you could guess what it is about.

625B-0000-0069-5EE3

Let me know what you think!

I like this a lot. Reminds me a lot of my Security System level, very similar dynamic around information going on, but I think your implementation is a lot stronger.

Finished up my World 4 Courses tonight if anyone wants to give them a shot.

Pesca 4-1
(C110-0000-0063-1BCC)

Pesca 4-2
(7005-0000-0063-541C)

Pesca 4-3
(B577-0000-0068-6D32)

Pesca 4-4
(8451-0000-006A-67A0)

Uhh, sorry about the names. I'm trying to go with a full game worth of courses with increasing difficulty.

I've made 9 or so levels and have been finding it hard to justify making SMB3 levels outside of aesthetics. Any reason to do so, outside of maybe airship stages?

- Aesthetics is actually a plenty good reason, there are a number of interesting things about SMB3 that other styles might lack or do differently. I appreciate the underground graphics a lot, the sort of starry background and the unique mechanical/weird semisolids. I like that it doesn't do full parallax backgrounds like World and NSMB, those can really change the feel of how the level looks. They set an overall tone that is hard to break out of. Meanwhile an all black background could be a cave, a temple, a night sky etc.

- You could choose it if you want players to be able to carry things but not spin jump and break blocks below them. World and NSMB can be hard to design for because of all the moves in Mario's repertoire, but SMB1 might be too restrictive not even being able to carry shells. Or you might want players to not have SMW/NSMB's powers and also avoid the possibility of that skinny mushroom cropping up randomly and breaking your level.

- You could choose SMB3 if you don't like Yoshi or like the way the boot/stiletto looks/behaves by comparison. Giant boot has an awesome butt stomp, Yoshi can't compare to that.

- You could choose SMB3 if you like the leaf better than the feather, the way it flies, the slightly longer run required than in World, the way flight is a little more limited than in SMW.

- SMB3 Bowser is unique from other Bowsers in that he does the butt stomp to crash through the floor like in his classic fight, which offers possibilities of its own (make the player force Bowser to butt stomp a P switch for them).

So two weeks after release, I finally tried the 100-Mario challenge to see what all the fuss was about. In spite of putting dozens of hours into playing other people's stages (mostly punching in codes from here and other sites), the word of mouth about 100-Mario's rather scrappy reputation, especially on Expert, put me off trying it at all until some of the dust had cleared from the initial rush.

Played an Expert run today and thought: hmm, not too bad. Courses a bit rough, and here are some of the elements people talked about—starting too close to a bottomless pit, screenfuls of springs upon springs, unintuitive blind jumps, a troll stage where you couldn't trust the coins and had to mind your head around invisible blocks—but everything was more or less playable, 1UPs were generous enough to keep things rolling, and I pushed through 11 courses to completion, only skipping one (a swim through a maze of spikes full of tight corners... no thanks).

Not as bad as I expected! I even found a diamond in the rough: a Metroidvania of sorts with some interesting alternate routes and sequence breaks, some intended, others probably not. Not the best Metroid-alike I've seen in Super Mario Maker, but a really solid effort, and at the time I was actually the first player to clear it even though it was posted nearly a week ago. The randomizer paid its dues. For those interested, it's at 993E-0000-004B-DE75.

Then I hit the wall. Course after course of the worst nonsense. Bullshit far as the eye can see. I put in an honest effort to pass some of the courses that at least looked like designs, like one where you had to spin jump on Thwomps the whole way through the stage, and spent my life count all the way down from about 70 total. Honest effort, skip; honest effort, skip.

I didn't finish: by the end I was stuck on 12/16. I swiped away from a dozen consecutive courses. Good golly, what a nightmare.

Anyway, if it's all right, I'd like to bump a stage I posted earlier that may have been lost in the mix—it's only had three feet on it so far. Serves me right for being out of step with the time zones when most of you play. Here it is: Bait-and-Switch Beltway - 8805-0000-0067-E3B4

I'd definitely like another pair of eyes on it at some point, as I want to know if the mechanics and flow of the stage are adequately fair.

Top Bottom