• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

ohNOitsRO

So yeah, really wish my levels would get some more plays and criticism! I made all of these except Fried Calamari which was a joint effort with a friend!

Name: Fried Calamari
ID: 9908-0000-0018-C05D
A water level that's fun?!

Name: Class In Session
ID: 5193-0000-0012-CEEA

Name: Itza Race!
ID: 86DF-0000-0012-F852
A friend showed how to break this level :O

Name: Can You Make It?
ID: E52C-0000-0013-0AF4
Well, can you?!

Gonna go back through this thread and play levels now!

GruntosUK

Hi guys

I've just a little level using some basic stuff. I'm on building another one now, much improved after learning a lot from this one.

In the meantime, check this one out, it's pretty much a true to Nintendo level (which I'll keep on with).

6483-0000-001E-6C00

Title: Beethoven's Wrath : The Musical
Difficulty: Medium
Tileset: Bowser
Level Code: 39B9-0000-0023-F367

Notes: Best music based level EVER!
Will test your nerves. Are you up for the Nightmare!?

Hahaha, let me know if you survive in hell.

Jims

Whohoo! Uploaded my first level!

I still have only the first two sets unlocked, so I wanted to make something that felt like the classic Super Mario Bros. with a slight twist. Ended up making a level with an emphasis on enemy timing and rhythm. Wanted to make it challenging but not too insane.

It's called Pesky Pipes!
ID: 2383-0000-0024-1C10

hOjRonB.jpg

If you have time to try it out, let me know what you think! This game is so fun to just try random stuff out.

Why does the game automatically star a level when you make a comment upon level completion? It makes me reluctant to give out advice like "hey water level I just swam to the top and broke it completely" or "pipes floating in this air look bad, don't do it".

I do find myself skipping a lot of levels and having no patience for lame gimicks. In return a bad level I made has been played 4 times, attempted 7 times and beaten twice. A slightly better one has yet to be played :(

Yeah getting out of the no stars hole is going to take a while.

I wish you could edit the AI and hit points of enemies. I'm trying to make a Bowser boss fight, and he just takes waaaay too many hits by conventional means, and his air fireballs are really annoying for the map i've made. I've only beaten him once after testing for like an hour, and I'm the guy making the level with the ability to start right before the boss fight. I can't imagine what it'd be like if you were going in fresh and having to restart the level after each death.
Giant enemies do double damage to Bowser. A pipe dishing those out to throw at Bowser (or bob-ombs as I saw one stage do) is an idea.

The problem with allowing editing is you would get trolling or people deciding to make goomba heads spikes or giving bowser 99HP (at least you know where you stand with him now).

Teknoman

Opinions on auto scroll underground or water worlds?

Also what is the meaning of the course clear ratio? How many cleared vs played? Because the larger number is often different from the footprint count.

daydream

Banned
Level sharing thread BTFO

How many sub levels can you have? I built one but it seems I can only make one, and the goal has to be on the top layer.

you can have one sub-area that is as big as the maximum size of the main area

Opinions on auto scroll underground or water worlds?

Also what is the meaning of the course clear ratio? How many cleared vs played? Because the larger number is often different from the footprint count.

as far as we've been able to tell, a death = course not cleared. so if i'm the first to play your level and finish it on the second try, the clear rate should be 50%

oh, and i'm fine with auto-scrollers but i LOVE good water levels, i think there's a lot of potential there (see level #2 in the community showcase on the first page)

Zekes!

Here's my second level, I call it Chain Chomp Lifts. There's a couple secrets in this level, including a level skip.

Chain Chomp's Lifts: D5E8-0000-0024-3DB3.

Also here's my previous level, which apparently has a clear rate of 8.33%. I don't think it's that hard, though there is one section I accidentally made where you can't avoid taking damage (unless you're small).

Here's my first actually thought out level:

Ghost Manor 1:
4462-0000-001B-F619

I designed it to be a challenging, but standard platform level. There's a secret path in it though that makes it a cake walk!

Robiin

Well, I got bottom of the last page, so I´ll try again, would really love some suggestions and comments!

The level sharing thread got closed, so I´ll just post here.

I have made two levels so far, and would love some critique/suggestions!

My first level

Fun with koopa shells

WVW69iYMkFAlmw1tI9

ID: 711E-0000-0022-35B4

Style: New Super Mario Bros.

Description: Jump on the koopas to kick their shells away. My first level so it is very basic, but a fun concept.

Secrets: There´s a small shortcut in the beginning.

Follow the Mushroom

WVW69iYPNGANBaS7Xx

ID: 071A-0000-0024-22B5

Style: Super Mario Bros.

Description: Follow the mushroom, lest you will not be able to leave this plant-filled level! Another super short concept level, still exploring the creator.

Secrets: There is an easter egg in here, good luck finding it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Made a low to medium difficulty "airship" level. The fleet is stuck in a frozen ocean and trying to cut their way out.

Frozen Ocean
F769-0000-0023-169F

WVW69iYNxGc1xf7Uer

Going from airship directly to water was a bit strange and I think it could be a bit more challenging, but I liked it.

I learned so much from recreating 1-1. I recommend doing the same to anyone wondering what to do with all this stuff besides throwing everything at the wall. Really pay attention to the spacing of the blocks along the grid, why everything is placed where it is, and what it tells the player.

Go here to see maps. http://www.mariouniverse.com/maps/nes/smb

Zero148

I made a new one. This time it is a long level and a little exploring can get rewarded:

4CB6-0000-0024-631A (some jumps (and enemies ;-)))

opinions are appreciated

Anteo

Someone died on the very first goomba of my level.
It wasnt even an evil goomba. It was just a goomba on the floor with no hazards around
How?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, here's something a bit more challenging, while still trying to be fair and not particularly kaizo. I invite you to check out the demonic developments of

Ghosts in the Machine
(7C5A-0000-0024-6BC2)
WVW69iYPldsZEx4HaV

McNum

Ow... I played this game way too much these last couple of days. Got carpal tunnel in my ZL-trigger finger. So much copying for airship levels...

But if anyone is curious what a level that can cause that looks like, it looks like this:

Junior's Flying Flotilla
WVW69iYMZNch2CTkHY

7A70-0000-0022-16DB
Description: I'm going for the the "Show, teach, challenge, flourish" method for a level. It's divided into an autoscrolling athletic part and a slower puzzle part leading up to a battle. Please notice how the boss music is set up, too.

Of particular note, I'd like feedback on
the Bob-ombs.
Especially how that is introduced.
Secrets: Three 1-Up Mushrooms​

I also did an amiibo thing, but this level has some obvious flaws... that I didn't notice until after it was uploaded.

From Skyworld with Love
WVW69iYKkR0iLIB0-U

D3F4-0000-0020-E0C5
Description: I wanted to make a Palutena level. The level has an easy way and a hard way. Both are pictured in that screenshot. Trust in her who makes the grind rails... or don't and go Dry Bones hopping.

Also, making the alternate music play like that is tougher than you'd think. If you can make the normal overworld music play, I'd love to know how you did it. I'd recommend checking this one out in edit mode, though, setting up alternate music is very cumbersome. If you can do it with fewer triggers than I did, I'd like to know how.
Secrets: Three 1-Up Mushrooms​

I'm sorry that I can't play anyone else's level right now, but I have to rest my arm. Haven't had a game do this to me in a long, long time... I guess I have a clear GOTY candidate for me here.

Model 500

I wanted to highlight these 2 levels. There are great. The creator also spent a lot of time in the little details which makes them look quite elaborate.

Here are the first two levels I have made.
48sgMJI.jpg

i6U6ozu.jpg

They both have low completion rates so maybe I made them too hard. I don't think so.

Both of them have multiple pathways and secrets :O

Like Kensuke a bit earlier, I also want to highlight these levels from Placktor. Crowded Cavern is actually the best and most balanced user level that I've seen so far. Great flow and fun platforming, strong recommendation. I would add this to the GAF showcase post. Keep it up :)

Castle Conundrum level is very good too, but the background gets a bit in the way making it too much of a hit n miss before you memorize the level. Good stuff nevertheless.

Danielsan

Got the game today and I've spend most of today creating levels.
I'd love it if some of you checked out my latest full blown level

Super Koopa Fortess
4D13-0000-0024-375B

I've spend way too much time on that one. Feedback would be very welcome.

maxcriden

New level. Of course as soon as I posted it I noticed some major flaws in its design, but I hope you all still enjoy it.

bring that with you...

BDE3-0000-0024-4931

Any feedback would be immensely appreciated, especially since this is only my second level ever!

Thank you so much for a-playing my game!

Zekes!

I thought they removed the wait a day to unlock stuff method?

Just keep using the editor and using the new tools it gives you. I was confused at first too. You can just scribble ground blocks all over the screen and after a while it will give you the new pack early.

jholmes

Why does the game automatically star a level when you make a comment upon level completion? It makes me reluctant to give out advice like "hey water level I just swam to the top and broke it completely" or "pipes floating in this air look bad, don't do it".

I do find myself skipping a lot of levels and having no patience for lame gimicks.

I totally know how you feel. Unfortunately a lot of people have no taste and the top star levels are all super gimmicky.

Also auto-starring sucks, might be the worst thing able the game.

Finally feel like I'm starting to really get to grips with level design now.. Curious to see what anyone else thinks of this, I'm rather chuffed with the way this came out! Just 1 secret area in this level, but it's a fun one!

2-2 Parabeetle Pitall: 3DA7-0000-0024-7106

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Level sharing thread BTFO

How many sub levels can you have? I built one but it seems I can only make one, and the goal has to be on the top layer.

You can only have one map, but I thought you could move between them multiple times? Eg over world, pipe to underground area, return pipe. Later in level another pipe taking you to a different area on the underground map, then back again.

Dartastic

Just keep using the editor and using the new tools it gives you. I was confused at first too. You can just scribble ground blocks all over the screen and after a while it will give you the new pack early.
Ah okay. What about unlocking Mario 3 and world stuff? Same way? Also, is there a way to make piranha plants come out of pipes faster?

Kinsei

Banned
I made my third level! It was really hard to make a ghost house level without things like bony beetles, fishin' boos, and so on, but I tried my best!

WVW69iYPo6Mjr_4tFI

Twisted Trial of the Boo Buddies: EF79-0000-0024-75D2

Please let me know if you find all three of the 1-up mushrooms.

bounchfx

gonna give this a try. i spent like 2 hours in the game yesterday and it still made me wait another day. I'mma do a scribble level

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You can only have one map, but I thought you could move between them multiple times? Eg over world, pipe to underground area, return pipe. Later in level another pipe taking you to a different area on the underground map, then back again.

I just finished a map with four different sets of pipes between the two worlds, if there's a limit its probably a high one

Haines

Banned
Ok ive made a couple nice mario bros 1 courses. Im sure you will find enjoyment if you are looking for something more classic.

old school times
CB4B-0000-0017-FB77

hot fishy
B395-0000-001B-2A68

Drop me a follow if you see what you like. I will be sticking with classic style mario levels and almost have my 3rd done.

I aim for quality and dont really add any nonsense.

My fiance shares my account and will probably upload a few of hers as well.

Munter

Finished my 2nd course. Took a lot of fiddling, but I'm quite happy with the result. Try and get all the 1-ups :)

Beneath the surface!
C4FF-0000-0024-8E1A

And my first level, for those who may have missed my earlier post:

New horizons!
A746-0000-0020-EBAE

Finally beat DryvBy's "Bowser Brawl Melee" (1934-0000-0021-D9D3). Felt like I was the subject of a cruel joke most of the level.

There's an entire secret area with many different paths that, to my knowledge, only lead to your death, including a door that you instantly die the moment you step through it. There are also several areas that can lead to unavoidable deaths due to low clearance and the Bowser shooting fireballs, namely in the beginning sequence. Many attempts were ended because I had no where to go and a fireball coming at my face.

If you're a masochist, this level has you covered!

AdanVC

What are the chances that we can have levels done by more famous developers? At least the ones from Nintendo. Miyamoto already confirmed he will create something eventually... It would be nice that other devs like Sakurai created something :D

The amount of levels I've played that people have uploaded without putting even the slightest amount of effort in the design is sad. :(

The even sadder thing is that those levels are easily beatable... so most players will beat it giving it a higher chance to appear in 100 Mario mode compared to the levels where creators actually tried and the majority skip it for a level where the flagpole is inches from the start point.

So what is the best way to unlock everything quickly?

Use each item and feature unlocked at least once, and then spam blocks to the tune of the music until the next delivery comes along.

Top Bottom